Canon EOS 80d Owners Thread

Number 2 is a corker, such dedication on the drivers face.

were these took with the Sigma 120-400 ????

All except number 2, that would have been done with a Canon 50mm F1.8 so nothing special. All the others are done with the old Sigma 120-400mm lens. I've had it for about 10 years now, it's ok but certainly not great. At 400mm wide open it's absolutely horrible so I have to work around its limitations.

Love that last one with the sunbeams coming through the trees

Well my 80d got delivered today from HDEW and the extra battery. Only had a quick look as I’m at work but have noted the charger is American style. Can anyone recommend a better charger for the LP-E6N batteries? It but a uk canon one?

Well my 80d got delivered today from HDEW and the extra battery. Only had a quick look as I’m at work but have noted the charger is American style. Can anyone recommend a better charger for the LP-E6N batteries? It but a uk canon one?
Strange, mine came with a UK plug and cable, maybe email them and ask why you do not have a UK charger.

Well apart from the charger thing really happy with the 80d so far. From the little messing about I have done. the autofocus seems a lot faster than the 750d I had previously even with the 18-55mm kit lens ( looking to change ) camera feels so much better in my hands really looking forward to using it properly over the next few weeks. thanks for all the advice. glad I made the jump

Had recent cause to use flash on my 80D and think it’s about time I used some “soon to receive” Santa” money/vouchers

Any suggestions for something sensibly priced to get me started that could be added to you if required in the future?

Many thanks

Tony

Had recent cause to use flash on my 80D and think it’s about time I used some “soon to receive” Santa” money/vouchers

Any suggestions for something sensibly priced to get me started that could be added to you if required in the future?

Many thanks

Tony
I was in the exact same situation last Christmas, a lot on here recommended the Yongnuo and the Godox variants, in the end the wife bought me a Canon 430 EX RT and I'm well satisfied with it.

here is the thread if it is any help https://www.talkphotography.co.uk/t...canon-flash-xmas-present.668671/#post-8022852

Last edited:
I read a few Canon and photography Facebook groups and the 80d seems to be a popular Canon choice. I've had mine for a few months now and don't have any complaints.

Definitely a great choice! Recently bought a used Sigma 35mm Art and this is turning out to be a lovely combo

Definitely a great choice! Recently bought a used Sigma 35mm Art and this is turning out to be a lovely combo

What did you pay for a used one? I’ve hired a 18-35 f1.8 for over Christmas for mine- it’s a bit heavy for my liking, but It is a lovely lens

£500 used in great condition.
Had some big issues with front/back focusing and only just bought a dock. Thankfully that’s soeted it and now love it!
Yes the 35mm is quite heavy but quality.

Have a dilemma... thinking of getting an upgrade from the 18-55 kit lens and can’t decide what to go for. Have a 50mm f1.8 10-18mm and 70-200 f2.8 but considering either canon 17-55 f2.8 or sigma 18-35 f1.8 but can’t decide anyone recommend either ? At this point leaning towards the stabilised canon but heard great things about the sharpness of the sigma. Need help please...

Have a dilemma... thinking of getting an upgrade from the 18-55 kit lens and can’t decide what to go for. Have a 50mm f1.8 10-18mm and 70-200 f2.8 but considering either canon 17-55 f2.8 or sigma 18-35 f1.8 but can’t decide anyone recommend either ? At this point leaning towards the stabilised canon but heard great things about the sharpness of the sigma. Need help please...

I have a Tamron 17-50 (non vc) and it's as sharp as anything. Plus an EFS 15-85 which is excellent. Possible alternatives to consider.

I can only comment about the canon 17-55 f2.8 that I have and it’s a great lens but be prepared for extra weight from the kit lens as the increase is considerable (but worth it)

Thanks for the recommendation I do worry about not having the image stabilisation so that’s why I was asking about the sigma as it doesn’t have any. But it’s supposed to be sharper than the canon. Not to worried about the weight as my tamron 70-200 f2.8 weighs a tonne but thanks for the warning as I am aging all day with it could be a pain in the neck quite literally. Worth takin a look at the tamron then? What’s the build quality like?

Canon 17-55 f2.8 is a great all round lens you won't go wrong with one. It's a good match with the 80d.

Canon 17-55 f2.8 is a great all round lens you won't go wrong with one. It's a good match with the 80d.

Well I’ve gone and bought a second hand copy from mbp for £369 with lens hood. Arrived today. Looks in good order and will give it a go this weekend. Looks great on the 80d.

Last edited:
Hi all, this seems like a good place to ask rather than start a new thread.

I'm finding my photography no longer demans a full frame camera, so looking to swap my 6d for something much more airshow/motorsport focused. I'm interested in any of your experiences with regards to 7d vs 7d mk2 vs 80d. Has anyone used these and can compare? Of course the 7d is old and noisy, but still has a great AF reputation and 8fps vs 7fps. Is it worth spending 2-3 times as much on an 80d, just for the extra af points etc, but losing the extra fps...? Really appreciate any thoughts :)

Of course the 7d mk2 is the daddy of the 3 models, but i don't really want to spend that much money unnecessarily.

Last edited:
the 7D is coming up to ten years old now and I think the 80D beats it hands down for everything apart from the fps and that is only a one shot difference.
More pixels (hmmm)
Better dynamic range
more than twice the focus points all are cross hair
tilt / swivel screen / touchy touchy :) but you lose the joystick for a Q button

much better noise control, even better than the 6D mk2 so it seems.

going by previous releases I think the 80D's replacement is imminent so it should drop in price when the 90D is announced and comes up for sale,
there is always folks that want the latest and greatest so you will probably find a few low milers in the classifieds.

That is a very persuasive feedback :) I do miss the swivel screen from my old 600d, and the main thing that puts me off the old 7d is the poor dynamic range/shadow recovery. I think it will be between the 7d2 and 80d then, depending on used prices. Thanks :)

Hi all, this seems like a good place to ask rather than start a new thread.

I'm finding my photography no longer demans a full frame camera, so looking to swap my 6d for something much more airshow/motorsport focused. I'm interested in any of your experiences with regards to 7d vs 7d mk2 vs 80d. Has anyone used these and can compare? Of course the 7d is old and noisy, but still has a great AF reputation and 8fps vs 7fps. Is it worth spending 2-3 times as much on an 80d, just for the extra af points etc, but losing the extra fps...? Really appreciate any thoughts :)

Of course the 7d mk2 is the daddy of the 3 models, but i don't really want to spend that much money unnecessarily.

I've shot Motorsport with the 7D2 and my current 80D. The sensor in the 80D is better, with better dynamic range. The AF systems are actually quite similar, the 7D2 has more af points but how many do you need? I only use one point at a time anyway. Handling of the 7D2 is better, it's a bigger camera and the joystick / thumb lever is sorely lacking on the 80D. That said I love my 80D, it's a great camera. Also the 7D2 has dual card slots if that's important to you.

I prefer to use my 7D2, I just find it easier. But if I only had my wife's 80D, I'd be Ok with that, it's an excellent camera.

I had an 80d for a couple of years but upgraded to a 7D mkii for the 2018 airshow season and I get on much better with this, I find it easier to handle being larger than the 80d and my keeper rate has increased, the autofocus just seems to stay locked on better with the 7d mkii.

I went the other way moved my 7d mk2 on and bought the 80d love the touch screen and the swivel screen I enjoy all types of photography and the 80D covers all of my needs. 80d can be had for £630 from HDEW bargain

Thanks to the previous 3 posters, i'm still torn between the 2 but your posts are helpful! Leaning towards the 7d 2 for that extra fps and slightly more functional design, but I really would like a swivel screen.
The swivel/touch screen can be a very useful feature. Especially for tripod mounted video and for low or high level shots. Macro shots too, where just a light tap on the screen focuses the lens and takes the shot.

On the other hand, the joystick and wheel functions on the 7D2 are useful, plus I prefer the slightly larger size (missus strongly prefers the lighter and more compact 80D... of course).

Thanks to the previous 3 posters, i'm still torn between the 2 but your posts are helpful! Leaning towards the 7d 2 for that extra fps and slightly more functional design, but I really would like a swivel screen.

The swivel and touch screen was very nice. Hopefully the 7d mkiii will have these features.

There hasn't been any 80d photos for a while. So here are some snowdrops in some late afternoon sunlight, from my front garden.

2019-01-09_05-25-32.jpg

Significant (60th) birthday on the horizon and I am insisting on money or amazon vouchers as I really don’t want engraved tankards and humorous bits of tat (better to be honest I believe)

Not desperate for anything really BUT it’s a big birthday so I thought a treat would be a new (or used) lens

I want a general purpose walkabout style one so keep coming back to the Canon 24-105 L but the reviews seem at best a bit mixed

Anyone got any real world experience of this lens with the 80D ?

Many thanks

The 24-105mm L (v1) is pretty much always attached to my 80D. I think it's a great lens for everyday stuff. I use it for photographing horse's, pets, flowers and plants, also with extension tubes. I don't really do landscape or street photography, but when I do there's nothing wrong with the quality, only my rubbish landscape photos :(. The image quality is good, the IS works well, the focus is quite fast and has good accuracy, its quite heavy (but then so are most L lenses).
I'm glad I made the choice in buying it.

FWIW as a walkabout on my 7DII, I prefer the range offered by the EF-S 15-85mm. Wouldn't be happy with 24mm (35mm equivalent) as the widest end.

Opinions will be split on this lens great on my 6D when I had it but the odd focal range for me on the 80D made me rethink what range I required its a good quality lens but I decided to move to the 15-85 which with a little tweaking in Focal is a stellar lens on my 80D a Lens in all but name

I stayed away from the 24-105 for some time because of so many comments saying it wasn’t great for a crop sensor. Took the plunge and I’m glad after I did because it’s great for shooting my daughter outside and closer motor sport where I rarely miss the wide end at all. That said I do have the 17-55 to fall back on indoors but I think the biggest advantage for me there is still the wider aperture as opposed to focal length.

Well I got the money and it’s just a case now of do I take the plunge.

I have found the Canon 24-105 L MK11 at HDEW for £629 inc free delivery. There are used ones on eBay for more than that so I am very tempted to get one new (which I very rarely do )

I don’t actually NEED another lens but I just know that 1, it will inspire me to get out more and 2, if I don’t make a significant purchase the money will start to diminish on other little bits.

go on Tony

get it, you know you want to, everyone likes a bit of new shiny kit ;)

Trigger pulled

The hard bit now is convincing my wife that it was worth it :-(

Back