Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I have now had a go with a m5 fitted with a 400mm f5.6 and although the I.q was fine I wasn’t impressed with the viewfinder . I think that I will most likely go with a m6 as my next step along this path ,and keep my big gear .my original plan was to just use a m3 with my macro lens and that’s also a option .with the current bout of anal bad weather it’s pointless throwing pound notes a something that’s not gonna be used much

Posting this for a friend ,he has got a Canon EOS-M adaptor but it has no tripod mount fitted ,does anyone know what these bits are actually called and where you can get them from ,linky would help if poss.

cheers mike I have advised him to get a mieke one same as mine its works out £6 cheaper and put the canon one on e/bay quids in :naughty:

Interesting mike but for another fiver he can get the miEKe one ,personally I have yet to find any difference in operation .and it’s just badge upmanship that makes people buy canon ones

Does the Mieke one have a built in tripod plate then? I'm not talking about the actual adapter itself, just the foot which looks handy for any make if it fits them.
It has one, but they’re not interchangeable.

Are you concerned that the air in the Meike one will transmit light differently to the air in the Canon one ;)

Are you concerned that the air in the Meike one will transmit light differently to the air in the Canon one ;)

I don't know why you mention the adapter? I haven't and couldn't care less which one people use as they all do the same job. The question asked was whether there is a tripod foot available seperately which there is, whether anyone would buy it is entirely up to them.

Strangely it seems ‘’useful’!

....Now THAT really is useful to me as I currently have a separate Arca-Swiss profile plate mounted. Thank you Huge Arse!

Anyone got the M50 yet? I dont seem to be getting email notifications for this thread. I have looked and it doesn't seem that anyone has one, but i might have missed it.

Still very, very tempted. It looks like there is a bit of a wait for the black ones still, but the White ones seem readily available. I also saw Amazon are doing the white body only for £489. Very tempted, but im talking myself in to getting the kit with the 15-45 as well. Its just that f/6.3 that puts me off.

Just ordered my black M50 from Jessops. Should be here tomorrow. 3rd party batteries also ordered.
Ill use my EF-S lenses for a while and then get the 18-150 before i go on holiday.

Edited to say ive been stitched up by Jessops and its now on back order. Ive cancelled the order and will shop elsewhere. Seems like the only option at the moment is to get a white one. While i like the look of it I’m not sure its really me.

EDIT 2. Had a call from Jessops to say it can be delivered tomorrow, so the order is back on.

Last edited:
Just a quick one to say my M50 arrived today and im very happy with it. Its obviously a step back as far as ergonomics go compared to my 80D, and this will take some getting used to, but one thing ive noticed is that its not full of features i dont really use.
Glaring omissions that i might miss are the ability to adjust how the Auto ISO affects shutter speed, and the ability to have the playback zoom in to 100% at the AF point. I can live without both though.

I seem to have lost my Canon EF-EFM adaptor so i got a cheap Commlite one. Seems fine although there is a tiny bit of movement. Nothing ill worry about, but i will keep an eye out for the Canon version at a good price.

Very early days and i have a bit of reading to do, but with the promised sunny weekend upon us im sure ill have it all mastered by Monday.

I really do want the 18-150 though. My 18-135 works fine, and isnt too bulky, but i can imagine having the 18-150 on it will make it a bit easier to hold.

lll post some shots over the weekend.

Just a quick one to say my M50 arrived today and im very happy with it. Its obviously a step back as far as ergonomics go compared to my 80D, and this will take some getting used to, but one thing ive noticed is that its not full of features i dont really use.
Glaring omissions that i might miss are the ability to adjust how the Auto ISO affects shutter speed, and the ability to have the playback zoom in to 100% at the AF point. I can live without both though.

I seem to have lost my Canon EF-EFM adaptor so i got a cheap Commlite one. Seems fine although there is a tiny bit of movement. Nothing ill worry about, but i will keep an eye out for the Canon version at a good price.

Very early days and i have a bit of reading to do, but with the promised sunny weekend upon us im sure ill have it all mastered by Monday.

I really do want the 18-150 though. My 18-135 works fine, and isnt too bulky, but i can imagine having the 18-150 on it will make it a bit easier to hold.

lll post some shots over the weekend.
Enjoy

Let me know how it does with adapted ef lenses
Will do. I don’t have any EF-M lenses yet so i have no choice but to use my EF/S lenses.

So far the 18-135 USM Nano and 50mm f/1.8 STM are working flawlessly on it. Just as fast as on my 80D. I’m used to the speedy live view shooting on my 80D (RIP) and 5D4, but amazed at the speed when using the EVF. It seems more instant and less clunky than using the LCD, although that dose of course work just as well.

Il be taking the 10-18, 18-135 and maybe my 135L out tomorrow. There is a Canal boat festival at Paddington basin/Little Venice this weekend so that should be a great op to test it all out.

Will do. I don’t have any EF-M lenses yet so i have no choice but to use my EF/S lenses.

So far the 18-135 USM Nano and 50mm f/1.8 STM are working flawlessly on it. Just as fast as on my 80D. I’m used to the speedy live view shooting on my 80D (RIP) and 5D4, but amazed at the speed when using the EVF. It seems more instant and less clunky than using the LCD, although that dose of course work just as well.

Il be taking the 10-18, 18-135 and maybe my 135L out tomorrow. There is a Canal boat festival at Paddington basin/Little Venice this weekend so that should be a great op to test it all out.
Awsome. This is a very good outcome for future ff mirrorless as I won't be selling any more of my ef lenses

Awsome. This is a very good outcome for future ff mirrorless as I won't be selling any more of my ef lenses

Ive still to try a decent USM L lens on it, ill do that tomorrow, but so far all the STM lenses ive tried seem to be just as fast as on my 80D. That is to say slow but sure. The Nano is very snappy though.

Thought I’d post a few samples from the M50/18-135 combo.
Very happy with the quality but it was hard work using this camera (compared to a DSLR). I felt a bit detached from the shooting experience, due to the EVF. I’m not a fan of shooting on bright sunny days, but i found the EVF to be quite contrasty. Made figuring out if the exposure was ok or not quite tricky. Saying that, the camera did a great job IMO, and although i took loads of waste shots I don’t think any were off due to the camera getting it wrong. Mostly kept to TV mode, and mostly using the 18-135.
I was also disappointed with the battery. The indicator never changed, but all of a sudden i was getting told to change the battery. A bit of a warning might be good. This was with a 3rd part battery though, maybe the Canon one will be different. Got around 270 shots with the first battery. Better than i imagined I would get. I never used the LCD at all today, everything was with the EVF, even setting the menus.

All in all I’m happy with the change over from the 80D, but i wont retire my 5D4 just yet.

1914CFD7-FE40-457E-8C9D-71862713C19E.jpeg
13180FF6-8696-4F90-AE79-FB0A0490FC60.jpeg BF356ED6-7267-4294-A775-DB6BC35F00FA.jpeg 80192133-62D2-4782-A4AE-E689972960E3.jpeg

Tried the 70-300L out thing morning. Pretty impressive although not a combo id walk around all day with. I just dont trust it hanging off that adaptor.

Perfect timing.
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Last edited:
Thanks. It was a lucky shot, i just happened to look out of the window at the right time. Saying that, i would have missed it if i had been using my 5D4, as i tend to use that in silent shutter mode all the time.

I really am loving this camera. I love the way i can transfer my images to my phone without having to turn the camera on. Just using the low powered Bluetooth connection to initiate the WiFi transfer. So much less ‘clunky’ than with my other Canon cameras.
I’m now on my 3rd battery (just gone in), with around 490 shots and some playing about under my belt. A bit disappointing compared to my other cameras, but as I have 3 batteries its not really going to be a big deal.

Tired the 70-300L out thing morning. Pretty impressive although not a combo id walk around all day with. I just dont trust it hanging off that adaptor.

Perfect timing.
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

You are making me feel pedestrian as I am not getting out with my M kit at the moment. Soludly tied up with starting a new business.

That said, I have been testing thw EF-S 18-135 STM on the M5 body and am very pleased with it’d snappy response and, more importantly, it’s results.

Still mulling over getting an M50 to pair with the M5. The original thought was for video work but frankly, I have to admit that a knocked about original M body with Magic Lantern is a y good performer.

Will need to get myself into decision mode....

I’m glad I got this for this weekend, otherwise I don’t think I’d be out and about much either. Getting stuck in a rut these days as far as getting out shooting goes. Even that shot above was taken from my kitchen window lol.

I think the 18-135 is almost the prefect lens for these cameras. I loved the STM version but do now prefer the Nano version, purely for the AF speed. I really want to get the M 18-150 but not convinced it’s better than the 18-135, although it’s smaller.

I’m going to test out my 24 f/2.8 pancake lens today, but I expect ill sell it and get the 22 f/2 again. Also going to order the 11-22 to replace my 10-18.

It’s funny but my original intention was to just use my existing lenses on the M50, but now I have it I want to go smaller. From what ive read the 11-22 is better than the 10-18 anyway so that’s a good move, but it will be hard giving up my 18-135. I’ve always had a crop camera or two, even when I went full frame, but I sold my 80D and gave my 650D away, so now it’s just FF and M so no need to keep EF-S lenses in the long term.

Last edited:
I’m glad I got this for this weekend, otherwise I don’t think I’d be out and about much either. Getting stuck in a rut these days as far as getting out shooting goes. Even that shot above was taken from my kitchen window lol.

I think the 18-135 is almost the prefect lens for these cameras. I loved the STM version but do now prefer the Nano version, purely for the AF speed. I really want to get the M 18-150 but not convinced it’s better than the 18-135, although it’s smaller.

I’m going to test out my 24 f/2.8 pancake lens today, but I expect ill sell it and get the 22 f/2 again. Also going to order the 11-22 to replace my 10-18.

It’s funny but my original intention was to just use my existing lenses on the M50, but now I have it I want to go smaller. From what ive read the 11-22 is better than the 10-18 anyway so that’s a good move, but it will be hard giving up my 18-135. I’ve always had a crop camera or two, even when I went full frame, but I sold my 80D and gave my 650D away, so now it’s just FF and M so no need to keep EF-S lenses in the long term.

I get where you are coming from.

I still have the 10-18 and it is great but the 11-22 on my M5 is brilliant. I ket the EF-S 24mm but, as good as it is, the 22mm pancake is way out on it’s own. Small, fast and incredible results. My experience of the 18-150 (3 copies) was not good. Too much CA and whilst Adobe could sort it, it needed someone to create the filter for it. IMHO it is an overpriced lens and most of the range is covered by the 55-200 M lens, which is great or, as you have found, the 18-135.

I like the 70-200L on the M5 a lot but (post stroke) weight is an issue.

I still have my 5D2 and cannot see my ever dumping it.

Will be heading off back to Ireland at the end of the month to complete my Atlantic coast project which I started in May 2006 and I would say 80% will be done eith the M kit. As I eill be in my motorhome, the rest on the non M kit will be aboard too!

The forthcoming 35mm f/2.8 M is due in July (I believe) and I hope that Canon make this prime as a true stablemate to the 22mm. In any case my 22mm will probably spend the summer on the very pocketable M6!

In passing I am tempted by the nano 18-135!

Steve

Last edited:
Good to hear about the 11-22 vs 10-18. Ive never noticed any issues with 10-18 but by all accounts the 11-22 is better, as you have said.
I didn’t get to use my 24mm f/2.8 today, the 18-135 just seems to cover it all at the moment. I got the 24mm when i got my 80D but ive hardly used it and I’m not sure its worth keeping. I have the Canon 24-70 f/2.8 mkii so that covers what the 24mm can do anyway, although i appreciate thre size difference is a good reason to own both. I had the 22 f/2 back in 2013 with the original M camera. Not sure I’d use them much either but i expect ill get it again.

I cant quite get my head around f/2.8 primes. My 24-70 covers all this ground, with better IQ over the cheap primes, so other than size i dont see an advantage. Saying that, it would be nice to go over to all M lenses. The 24-70 is hardly a travel lens. I would love a 50mm f/1.8 M though.

After a nice 6 mile walk along the banks of the river Thames today, one ive done many times, it was a real pleasure having just the M50 and 18-135. Normally I’d take my 5D4, a 24-70 and 70-300L. Not a lightweight bag. I can see the M50 taking over very quickly as a day out camera.

Having played with all my EF-S lenses on the M50 now i can see that the STM lenses are quite slow to focus compared to the 18-135 and my L lenses. I had the STM 18-135 and was really happy with it on my 80D, but the AF speed always bugged me. I was more used to USM L lenses. The Nano version is really snappy. No sharper and doesnt do anything else (for me), but out of the two the Nano version is the better. Not sure its worth upgrading to if you dont need the fast AF though.

Now, one big negative from me is the connectivity robustness. It’s been working fine using the BT/WiFi set up, but when i was out today it all went tits up and took me almost 40mins to get things going again. Thats a BIG negative for me. Granted it’s not the end of the world, but when it goes wrong it seems to really go wrong and everything needs re setting. It wasn’t just a failure to connect, i was getting messages that the WiFi was already in use etc, even though it was off. A total camera reset was needed. Not good.

Dave

Never had any issues with Canon Connect app using my M5/M6 on the iPad pro.

For the oldee M bodies, I have a couple of Toshiba 32Gb Flashair cards feeding the iPad Pro too.

In all cases the distance fron camera to iPad is critical ‘in the field. Addto that set up, theiPad has a 3 Ireland ‘all you can eat’ sim fited which works fine in the UK on the’feel at home’ facility. Cheapest deal going!

I like these connection facilities as 18 months on from my stroke, whilst recovered 90%+ my right hand can be weak some days so the apps are really important, as is the M series kit weight.

I have only had one experience of failed connection of the type you had. So far the last canon Connect update has worked faultlessly on both the iPhone and iPad but I only shift the JPEG files when out. The RAWs are moved back at base.

The fact that Toshiba have released their W-04 SDXC Flashair cards is encouraging. I also use the W-03 SDHC cars in a CF converter in my 5D2 and 50D! Great fun when I have the grandchildren with me.

On the EF 50mm f/1.8, the STM version works really nicely on the M5 but my ‘go to’ is the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART which is a dream on the M5. The 15-45 M is a toy compared to the original 18-55 kit lens but I seem to use primes when I can (incl the EF 50 and 85) but the 11-22 is excellent!

All in, the stripped down kit and M series works for me. When I have to hike from where I am parked, I have to be very aware of weight. To aid this I invested in a small waterproof motorbike riders backpack for when I need to walk to a viewpoint etc. This winter I forced myself to be disciplined about things and if it cannot get in that backpack, it is staying behind! That includes batteries.

Steve

Steve, it sounds like you have it all sorted out.

Ive never had any issues either, and it’s not the app, its the Camera FW IMO. It’s been great since Friday but this afternoon it just went in to one. Fair enough if a re boot fixes it but it didn’t. Hopeing its a one off. There is still no raw file transfer using the Canon app so its not something I rely on. For raw transfer i use Cascable on my iphone, and that works fine, but it doesnt do the Bluetooth stuff the Canon app does with the M50, like waking up and instigating the WiFi i connection.

I have a Flashair card. Quite an old one though and ive not used it in a year or so. Ive also got the 50 f/1.8 STM, and its the best 50mm ive owned. STM is still slow but not by much, and although itysd noticeable its not really an issue. I love using it on my 5D4 and will give it a go this week on my M50.

I have a feeling no matter what lenses i buy my 18-135 will be on my M50 most of the time

Haha, we can but dream.

Last one for the weekend.

This is where my son works. He is a junior captain on this, although he has a full Captians licence. Gets to drive it and all sorts. Thats him with the white shirt on on the front deck. Very proud of him

The Dixie Queen, with Jamie (my son) on the front deck. by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Back