Canon EOS M Series Cameras

It looks like the UK Canon store has the M50 in stock now, body and kit version.

Got the email this am. The 4K is the only temptation and with the 11-22 UWA it will overcome the f.o.v narrowness.....

No need to pray with the Sony A9 as all the shots will be in focus. ;)
How would you know you never use yours!
rofl.gif

Nice shots Mike. Nice to see the 70-300L works well on mirrorless.

Thanks, yes it works very well and it's compact enough that it will sit in the small bag along with the 11-22mm and 18-55mm EF-M lenses. AF is fast as well.

Received a Sigma 1.4x teleconverter off Ebay this morning so mounted it on the M5 along with the adapter and 150-600mm sport. This combo is totally unuseable handheld but managed a few test shots. This one is 1/500th, f9 handheld and quite a heavy crop which bodes well for any future larger mirrorless Canon body.

Lens Test - Seagull
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Thats not a bad shat at all, even taking in to account all that Sigma glass its gone through lol.

I have a Kenko x1.4 TC that doesn't work well on my 5D4 and 80D. Can you let me know how well the 70-300L works with your Sigma TC when you get a chance to try it? My 70-300L is the lens is have the most issues with when i use the Kenko. It was perfect on my 5D3.

The Sigma converter won't fit the 70-300mm L as it had a protruding front element but I have a Kenko 1.4x somewhere so I will dig it out and give it a try on the M5.

Cheers. Im guessing it wont work as well as on the older cameras. For me the issue is over exposure, especially outdoors. Even though the meter in the VF confirms its in the centre the images can be up to 2 stops over exposed. Guess its a communication thing. Even my 650D worked perfectly this this TC.

Just had a go.

The Kenko converter I have is a C-AF 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300 DGX Kenko Made in Japan and it worked fine with the M5 and 70-300mm L. It exposed just as well as when shooting without and the quality is not bad at all.

I had another look at the Sigma as I have 2 of those, the old DG EX version and the one that arrived today which is the TC-1401 (purchased as the older one doesn't work well with the 150-600mm) and they do fit as the protruding front element isn't as long as the Canon 1.4x MKIII but although the IQ is on a par with the Kenkon converter and it exposes fine the AF is flakey at best.

The Sigma converter won't fit the 70-300mm L as it had a protruding front element.

This is going to sound crazy, but will an extension tube fit over the protruding lens on the converter.
Just a thought as I recently saw an article where someone was using a 12mm extension tube between a Canon 2x and 1.6x converter with a 100-400mm L mounted on an M6 for closeup shots of the moon and the results were very impressive. Doesn't sound like it should work but it did with that combo, so could be worth a try if you have the needed bits ?

Very nice collection on your Flickr site Mike.

Thanks Jim :)

This is going to sound crazy, but will an extension tube fit over the protruding lens on the converter.
Just a thought as I recently saw an article where someone was using a 12mm extension tube between a Canon 2x and 1.6x converter with a 100-400mm L mounted on an M6 for closeup shots of the moon and the results were very impressive. Doesn't sound like it should work but it did with that combo, so could be worth a try if you have the needed bits ?

The Sigma does fit, I thought the protruding front element was the same length as the Canon MKIII converter but it's not so it fits but the autofocus is very hesitant unlike the Tamron.

somebody told me a few weeks back ,dont get the m3 if you want to shoot birds it's to slow to focus ,well I must have a hybrid model then as I was shooting both large crows/pigeons and small linnets/stonechats today with a roughly 80% success rate which compares favourably with my 1D3 .once the camera is set up right with the right lens it fair chudders along .and the results speak for themselves .so heres a starter a freshly landed crow
negative effect by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

somebody told me a few weeks back ,dont get the m3 if you want to shoot birds it's to slow to focus ,well I must have a hybrid model then as I was shooting both large crows/pigeons and small linnets/stonechats today with a roughly 80% success rate which compares favourably with my 1D3 .once the camera is set up right with the right lens it fair chudders along .and the results speak for themselves .so heres a starter a freshly landed crow.

LOL, but the spec sheets say you cant do that ;)
Cant see much wrong with that, actually nothing, good detail especially for an all black subject and really like the background.

cheers Steve going post 3 in the birds section in a bit ,really making me wonder which path to take gear wise

I was wandering about in Currys this afternoon and spotted an EF to EF-M lens adapter at a breathtaking £134.99p. A quick check on camerpricebuster shows that a significant number of suppliers are now asking this price, although it is still available at the likes of John Lewis at £104.99p. Mine came with the secondhand camera but it looks like the current cameras come without this adapter. So Canon, in view of the current inadequate native lens range, why does this essential adapter suddently now cost 30% more?

£45.99 from eglobalcentral (grey import)

https://www.eglobalcentraluk.com/ca...MIvv_bpKmR2gIV57vtCh0ItAdVEAQYASABEgIZaPD_BwE

Although if the Meikle version is as good even that is excessive......

Good price for the OEM model but no indication it is supplied with the removable tripod mount.

Nothing wrong with the Meike version. Mine has been great and safest when using longer/heavier lenses on tripod/monopod with the M5.

Good to know there is a cheaper alternative to the canon adaptor....and that it works OK.

The Digital Picture has a review of the M50 up. Seems to do ok. Its nice to see a review that doesnt mainly focus on Vlogging and poor 4K.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-M50.aspx

The specs for the M50 seemed to fit Vlogging to a tee.

I am happy with the M5 but need some better video quality for my Irish coast ptoject. The M50 4K may be enough with the 11-22 or 10-18 lens attached. Something I need to try as I am 6 weeks away from returning to Ireland.

I am happy with the M5 but need some better video quality for my Irish coast project. The M50 4K may be enough with the 11-22 or 10-18 lens attached. Something I need to try as I am 6 weeks away from returning to Ireland.
From the reviews i have seen i think i prefer the look of the 1080P footage over the 4K. The rolling shutter looks quite bad on 4K.

From the reviews i have seen i think i prefer the look of the 1080P footage over the 4K. The rolling shutter looks quite bad on 4K.

I will be trying the M50 out with the 11-22 M lens and 10-18 EF-S to bottom that out.

Failing that, I have been offered a Canon C100 mk 2, which, though not 4K has a lot more going for it with connectivity and sound sync erc. The Mk 3 version with 4K is due soon but after I set off.

Wide variation in price but hey we only live once

I will be trying the M50 out with the 11-22 M lens and 10-18 EF-S to bottom that out.

Failing that, I have been offered a Canon C100 mk 2, which, though not 4K has a lot more going for it with connectivity and sound sync erc. The Mk 3 version with 4K is due soon but after I set off.

Wide variation in price but hey we only live once

Blimey, that is a jump. Those cameras produce amazing HD quality though. Its not all about the amount of pixels. Like you say, you only live once......

I am happy with the M5 but need some better video quality for my Irish coast ptoject. The M50 4K may be enough with the 11-22 or 10-18 lens attached. Something I need to try as I am 6 weeks away from returning to Ireland.
Except for poor 4k recording.. Only thing going for vlog is the flip out screen. That's a good addition. However i think the gh5 has a flip up screen and better iq for vlog

Back