Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Thanks for the info @Hugh Jarse, have used the optech system on other cameras so might well give it a go on the eos-m.
If you do then make sure it"s the correct fitting. The M strap rings are easy to remove.

Op/Tech Super Pro A Connectors for Camera

Extenders

OP/TECH Extensions XL System Connectors

I also have a generic shoulder pad from an old sling strap which has velcro joiners. Not needed unless I put a heavy lens on the M.

Steve

Last edited:
If you do then make sure it"s the correct fitting. The M strap rings are easy to remove.

Op/Tech Super Pro A Connectors for Camera

Extenders

OP/TECH Extensions XL System Connectors

I also have a generic shoulder pad from an old sling strap which has velcro joiners. Not needed unless I put a heavy lens on the M.

Steve

Cheers, interested to try the camera with the op-tech wrist strap.

m5 looks good also. Can any owners report how much (if at all) snappier it is in real usage vs the original m? Review I read was mixed.

m5 looks good also. Can any owners report how much (if at all) snappier it is in real usage vs the original m? Review I read was mixed.
I have been lucky enough to try the M5

It is a cracker and feels well balance to hold.

It is, to all intents and purposes, a mirrorless 80D.

Apart from the lens mount, the M5 is a different animal to thevoriginal M. The M5 is comfortable and east to hold, has the dual hybrid sensor which holds focus bettee on th3 STM lenses and DIGIC 7 pricessing etc.

I am committed to getting one as soon as I complete my stroke rehab programme. At over £1k, I will buy it when I can actually get out and use it.

There are some good reviews of the M5 on YT.

If it takes off, I would expect to see s/h M3 prices drop a bit. At least the LP-E17 battery has been kept for the M5. The same battery fits the M3 and 750D/760D too.

Steve

I have come across this mixed review as well, Kai tested it and never picked up on it in his review, dpreview stated it suffered noticeable lag between exposures, Dustin Abbots review has not picked it up, I posed the question :

would you say its useable in a fast changing environment, such as a steam train travelling at speed going from zoomed in to wide and taking a picture at tele and wide?

his reply was

+Michael Johnson No problem for something like that.

Still not got to use one myself yet, will be trying it out at the photography show if i can get.

In the mean time.... I hope more lenses are coming with the announcment. Im also considering fuji xt20...

Eos M6 coming

I have come across this mixed review as well, Kai tested it and never picked up on it in his review, dpreview stated it suffered noticeable lag between exposures, Dustin Abbots review has not picked it up, I posed the question :

would you say its useable in a fast changing environment, such as a steam train travelling at speed going from zoomed in to wide and taking a picture at tele and wide?

his reply was

+Michael Johnson No problem for something like that.

Still not got to use one myself yet, will be trying it out at the photography show if i can get.

In the mean time.... I hope more lenses are coming with the announcment. Im also considering fuji xt20...

Eos M6 coming
The 2 colour options fit with the availability of the graphite and silver options on the 22mm, 15-45 and 55-200 lens (the silver 22 & 55-200 may be Far East/US only).

An M6 could be a bit of a spoiler if it is pitched at the wrong market. Too expensive or feature poor might harm it when the MFT opposition is very strong. The 'benefit' of using EF & EF-S lenses is immaterial to non legacy Canon users.

The list of lenses needs to build. I do not see me going for the 18-200 hyperzoom. I am slowly getting used to the 28mm macro but it really needed to be at least f/2.8 (ish).

Canon needs to build on the quality and facility of the 22mm pancake. Yes you can stick the 10-18 on (I do), but something prime at f/1.8 or f/1.4 would be specisl.

I am hooked. My small time with an M5 has kept me in the fold.

Now that looks like the camera I've been waiting for! Lenses canon please the my Fuji xt-20 lust might die altogether!

It looks good, slowly getting to like the design, I wonder how close to the m5 it will be spec wise. I hope canon will be showcasing new lenses, even in a roadmap form.

xt20 also on my consideration list.

It looks good, slowly getting to like the design, I wonder how close to the m5 it will be spec wise. I hope canon will be showcasing new lenses, even in a roadmap form.

xt20 also on my consideration list.

For me as long as it has the 80d sensor with the dual pixel af and s got shoe I'll be pretty pleased. No reason for it to be to heavily gimped as the lack of view finder targets it at a completely different market.

Pics of the new m6 leaked over at canon watch
WEX have a video of the M6 up

Very interesting. The silver version has a retro loik about it.

Can't grab the link. Will search it out.

Now that looks like the camera I've been waiting for! Lenses canon please the my Fuji xt-20 lust might die altogether!
Def the M6 silver screams out to the Fuji market but more prime M lenses needed

Edit

Thank you michael23 for loading the WEX vid below. [emoji106]

Last edited:
For me as long as it has the 80d sensor with the dual pixel af and s got shoe I'll be pretty pleased. No reason for it to be to heavily gimped as the lack of view finder targets it at a completely different market.
There is a retro looking hot shoe mount VF too.

For M/M10/M3 users, the WEX trade in against the M6 is miserly. A whole £70 for an M body, which will be a maximum.... EBay prices are higher and yes WEX need their margin but no p/ex for me.

The LP-E17 battery that is idrd in the M3/M5 750D/760D is, thankfully, used for the M6. I expect the 800D/77D will too. More standard batteries will at least make them more available. Pricing wise, I got an OEM one for £40 pre xmas. I hava 750D which chomps through them when doing video. I hope Canon see fit to bring out an improved version at some point.

Last edited:
Would you think that the M5 price drop slightly with the launch of the M6?

Just looking at the EFV-DC2, I can't find any images of it tilted upright, like you can with the hinged EFV-DC1. Anyone able to confirm either way? I've got that horrible sinking feeling that canon have "updated" another product while removing a key bit of functionality.

M6 is looking good though :)

M6 plus optional EVF price is equal to M5 price from what I've seen, if true think M5 is more attractive to me at least.

Just looking at the EFV-DC2, I can't find any images of it tilted upright, like you can with the hinged EFV-DC1. Anyone able to confirm either way? I've got that horrible sinking feeling that canon have "updated" another product while removing a key bit of functionality.

M6 is looking good though :)

One of the previews I read said it didn't hinge which is a shame. I haven't seen anywhere yet to confirm whether the EVF-DC1 will fit the M6, but I hope it does as I already have one of them! :)

One of the previews I read said it didn't hinge which is a shame. I haven't seen anywhere yet to confirm whether the EVF-DC1 will fit the M6, but I hope it does as I already have one of them! :)
Yep, me too, and if the new one doesn't flip up, I'm not really keen to "upgrade"

Amazon is back up to £294 at 22:45 and Jessops still £229 for the 28mm.

I have held off from the 11-22 as I am very comfy with the EF-S 10-18 IS on the M10, for now. If the 11-22 drops below £260 them........

The prime 28mm gives a 45mm (44.8mm) equivalent to 35mm fim camera equivalent or a normal eyesight field of view. The EF 40mm pancake works well on the M series but I am moving to aneven more lightweight kit. so walkabout street/landscape is 15-45 on M, 22 or 28 on M10.

Don't get me wrong, I fancy getting the 11-22 but my pot for the M5 is £150 short whereas the 28mm pot was at £210..... I am happy yo wait a bit longer for the M5 while I recover from the stroke I had in December.

Steve
How you finding the 28mm? Back down to £226 very tempted

I run the EOS M3 for videos, vlogging and BTS stuff.

Bargain and quite a nifty little camera.

Still happy using my M as an occasional camera or when I want something portable.

Seems almost like we're the camera dummys, the M was bees knees except the focus delays, not an issue for me, then M2, M3 & as fast as M5 is announced along comes M6.
Why not have upgrades/firmware updates on exsisting models sounds lot more exciting to me.

Last edited:
Seems almost like we're the camera dummys, the M was bees knees except the focus delays, not an issue for me, then M2, M3 & as fast as M5 is announced along comes M6.
Why not have upgrades/firmware updates on exsisting models sounds lot more exciting to me.

Bit tricky putting a different sensor in through a firmware update ;)

I think the M5 and M6 are aimed at different users, so dont really see it as a duplication.
Agreed it does seem that things have changed pretty fast, but thats just the speed that technology is progressing and hopefully improving.
I'm still happy with the original M, it suits what I use it for perfectly, but when the time comes to replace it, it's good to know that there will be new improved models to go to.

I've had my M5 for a few days now and I am very happy with it :)

Focusing is fast and the camera handles well, not too small. I got one because of the size, my 5D3 was getting a little too heavy for me :(

I have my 11-22 stuck on the front but I'll swop that now for the 18-55, see what results I get.
This was on my way to work the other morning, good exposure results here, only minor adjustments.
View attachment 98110

Back