Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Sorry, double post somehow :)

Last edited:
No I purchased the 11-22 on this forum a wee while ago :)

I bought the body only because I have another M.

I had a play yesterday with an M5 and 18_150. Love the feel of the camera and the. 18_150 seems to work a treat. The offer was double cash back at the photography show which was £160, I just couldn't convince myself to throw that much cash at it. Would really like to use one in the field to see how fast it performs with trains and the children.

Having been out twice with my M5, here are my initial impressions.

Good
  • Solid feel and build quality
  • Decent AF (tracked a fast moving train in Servo)
  • Decent IQ
  • Good menu structure and controls
  • Easy to use
  • Decent size and weight

Bad
  • Touch and slide AF is activated by my nose so I had to turn it off (Left eye shooter) which is a real let down
  • Buffer writes really slowly (shooting in RAW to a 80Mbs SDHC card took ages to write to the card even after 3-4 shots in continuous
  • It is no longer coat pocketable due to the viewfinder when a 22 is attached

All in all I am ok with it as I did expect some compromises compared to my other bodies. I do need to spend longer exploring its capabilities before I make a final judgement.

Good
  • Decent IQ
  • Easy to use
  • Decent size and weight

Bad
  • Touch and slide AF is activated by my nose so I had to turn it off (Left eye shooter) which is a real let down
  • Buffer writes really slowly (shooting in RAW to a 80Mbs SDHC card took ages to write to the card even after 3-4 shots in continuous

All in all I am ok with it as I did expect some compromises compared to my other bodies. I do need to spend longer exploring its capabilities before I make a final judgement.

Touch and slide AF can be configured to only notice certain areas of the touch screen !!

It even ignores my big Snoz :)

Good
  • Decent IQ
  • Easy to use
  • Decent size and weight

Bad

Is your card Class 10 U3 ? or U1 ? this might be the reason for slow writing.

Is your card Class 10 U3 ? or U1 ? this might be the reason for slow writing.

I assume a 1 as it doesn't say 3.

It is 80Mb/s so shouldn't be much slower than a 3 / 95mbs ?

What does the 3 mean?

I assume a 1 as it doesn't say 3.

It is 80Mb/s so shouldn't be much slower than a 3 / 95mbs ?

What does the 3 mean?
the number is inside the U I had problems with my car dash cam as it records two 1080 30fps video plus sound and until I got a U3 it was not working well and missing much, sometimes you see them marked for 4K video in adverts.

This is something I need to upgrade for my M5 I'm still using a mixture of Sandisk ultra 30-45mbs between 2 and 7 years old.

Any U3 cards you'd recommend?

This is something I need to upgrade for my M5 I'm still using a mixture of Sandisk ultra 30-45mbs between 2 and 7 years old.

Any U3 cards you'd recommend?
I use Kingston, mine are 80MB/s W 90MB/s R

Not tried but there are faster V90 as well

Last edited:
Looking for opinions on the M5 guys.

Firstly, what's the video focus like (in good light). I need to make a series of instructional videos for my work which will be filmed under good lighting - this is my primary reason for buying the camera.

Secondly, what's the 15-45 like compared to the older 18-55 (or around that from memory)?

Lastly, assume there are no known issues using the adaptor and EF/EF-S glass with the M5?

Thanks in advance.

Looking for opinions on the M5 guys.

Firstly, what's the video focus like (in good light). I need to make a series of instructional videos for my work which will be filmed under good lighting - this is my primary reason for buying the camera.

Secondly, what's the 15-45 like compared to the older 18-55 (or around that from memory)?

Lastly, assume there are no known issues using the adaptor and EF/EF-S glass with the M5?

Thanks in advance.

1. I have been using an EOS750D for video but finding the M5 better and quicker, focus is accurate and very quick. Indoor using a 300 LED video light again I produced some very clear results. Not tried it under office type lighting.

2. IMHO the 15-45 is better than the 18-55 but not as well constructed. It is great as a walkabout and the extra 3mm at the wide end very much more usable than expected. Remembering that you have to "unlock" the lens can be a pain but you get used to it.

3. No issues with Canon adaptor on any EF or EF-S lens.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks Steve. Encouraging to hear your experience with video and the M5. I also use LED video lights so a good comparison.

Just one more quick question. I had a M3 when they were first available and at that time third party batteries weren't available. I see they are now, any issues with them?

David

Thanks Steve. Encouraging to hear your experience with video and the M5. I also use LED video lights so a good comparison.

Just one more quick question. I had a M3 when they were first available and at that time third party batteries weren't available. I see they are now, any issues with them?

David

The OEM LP-E17 batteries are chipped and I am unaware of any non-OEM batteries that are fully decoded. Currently the non-OEM batteries are usable but you get a warning and when you accept the battery, the only thing missing is the battery level indicator in the menu.

The lowest price I have seen for OEM batteries is £39.99. I use DSTE batteries and no problem. The LP-E17 is low duration as power held is low. That said, the M3, M5, M6, 750D/760D and the new 77D use it so more should become available.

Finally, as You will know, the Canon charger only accepts OEM batteries.

Steve

Cheers Steve. At £40 for an OEM battery, or £36 for 5 x ExPro batteries, I think I can live without the battery level :)
I wasn't aware that the Canon battery charger wouldn't work, so thanks for that. I'd have bought a little USB charger anyway so a non-issue.

My local LCE are restocking the M5 this week. Hopefully I'll find some time to pop to them and give one a good test.

Cheers for your help, David.

Cheers Steve. At £40 for an OEM battery, or £36 for 5 x ExPro batteries, I think I can live without the battery level :)
I wasn't aware that the Canon battery charger wouldn't work, so thanks for that. I'd have bought a little USB charger anyway so a non-issue.

My local LCE are restocking the M5 this week. Hopefully I'll find some time to pop to them and give one a good test.

Cheers for your help, David.

I think you will like the feel and general handling.

I tried out the 18-200 zoom (edit - 18-150!!!) and was not taken with it.

The EF-M range of lenses needs boosting with more primes

My M kit has the brilliant 22mm pancake and the 28mm macrolite (good not great) , 15-45 and 55-200. These are supported by the EF-S 10-18. 24 pancake, EF 40 pancake and the brilliant Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART. The EF-M 11-22 is not good enough to justify it's price compared tot he EF-S 10-18..

Realistically the 22mm kept me happy to wait for the M5, now Canon need to build their prime range if they truly want to take on Fuji.

Steve

Last edited:
I think you will like the feel and general handling.

I tried out the 18-200 zoom and was not taken with it.

The EF-M range of lenses needs boosting with more primes

My M kit has the brilliant 22mm pancake and the 28mm macrolite (good not great) , 15-45 and 55-200. These are supported by the EF-S 10-18. 24 pancake, EF 40 pancake and the brilliant Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART. The EF-M 11-22 is not good enough to justify it's price compared tot he EF-S 10-18..

Realistically the 22mm kept me happy to wait for the M5, now Canon need to build their prime range if they truly want to take on Fuji.

Steve
My chosen trio would be the 22mm, 35mm Art and 85mm 1.8.

But I think Canon need to prioritise a 30 or 35mm and a short tele if they want to be taken seriously. They can charge a reasonable sum if they supply the right quality. I have no interest in most of the EF-M lenses. Canon need to follow Fuji's lead.

I'd also like the M7 to be more rangefinder like, the 5 has great specs, but it'd be more desirable without the grip and viewfinder hump.

My chosen trio would be the 22mm, 35mm Art and 85mm 1.8.

But I think Canon need to prioritise a 30 or 35mm and a short tele if they want to be taken seriously. They can charge a reasonable sum if they supply the right quality. I have no interest in most of the EF-M lenses. Canon need to follow Fuji's lead.

I'd also like the M7 to be more rangefinder like, the 5 has great specs, but it'd be more desirable without the grip and viewfinder hump.

Agree with you there Phil.

In my case the fast Sigma 30 ART was a revelation on the 80D/750D/50D equalling a 48mm it's a natural view for the brain. A 30/35 from Canon built for IQ, small architecture to suit M/crop/Ff could be a Winner.

I have the EF 85 f/1.8 and it sits well on the M5 but not a good balance on the Adaptor, If I need a bit more length I add the 50 1.8 to the bag plus the 55-200 M is available. I used the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM with the M5 yesterday. Was v pleased with it - again a low priced gem.

I am tempted to get an M6 in silver, not to use, just to stare at it and worship it a little!

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Tbh, one of my main reasons for (probably) going for the M5 is that the Missus is a Canon shooter so I can pinch her glass instead of us having two of everything.

I'll get the kit with 15-45, buy another 22 (had one when I had M3), not bother with the 11-22 (Missus has the 10-18) and maybe the 55-200 as liked it before.

I remember when I had the M3 how well the 40 pancake worked with it, be interesting to see how this lens works with video.

Thanks guys. Tbh, one of my main reasons for (probably) going for the M5 is that the Missus is a Canon shooter so I can pinch her glass instead of us having two of everything.

I'll get the kit with 15-45, buy another 22 (had one when I had M3), not bother with the 11-22 (Missus has the 10-18) and maybe the 55-200 as liked it before.

I remember when I had the M3 how well the 40 pancake worked with it, be interesting to see how this lens works with video.
The 40mm is STM so on video is 'almost' silent. I used mine on the 750D and now on the M5 and happy with the results. I don't do Vblogging but for your needs probably ideal. There is one in the Canon classified currently.

Depending on field of view, the EF-S 24mm STM is great on video too. The 24 and 40 pancakes sre both fast enough at f/2.8 fully open.

Nobody with a M should miss out on the 22mm pancake. I see Canon have released a silver version.... will look brilliant on the sliver M6. It's quality is a given and though the forums have discussed a Mk II 22mm with IS, I don't see the neeed.

Steve

I note that Amazon have the EF-M 55-200 lens showing at £229.74 today

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00L2E82NK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awdb_oGo3ybXS5RB71

This is, I believe, the cheapent I have seen this lens from a mainstream seller including a Canon UK warranty.

They can be sourced on EBay for up to £50 cheaper. These are usually taken from bundled pachages from the far east.

It's a nice IS telephoto zoom and I have tried it on my M5... very balanced to hold.

Anyway, hopefull the lower price regime will continue. Amazon are now selling the 11-22 below £290.

Still good price but 'grey'? You can get them around £170 on the Bay.

I have this lens and for it's overall quality/performance/size it's a winner, needs to be a bit faster, even a stop, but for what it does it is a regular on the camera.

Went out this morning to try the M5 - have to say I'm impressed.

Handling is lovely (as is being back on a Canon menu after using Sony for a while), focus is snappy and accurate and love the drag screen to focus feature.

Initially wasn't impressed with the 15-45, but after getting home and having a play in LR it seems very good for a kit lens. Also took the Missus's 40mm, 10-18 and Sigma 17-50 with me - all performed really well on the M5.

What did surprise me was how good it was in low light. Think I'll be ordering this camera very soon :)

Went out this morning to try the M5 - have to say I'm impressed.

Handling is lovely (as is being back on a Canon menu after using Sony for a while), focus is snappy and accurate and love the drag screen to focus feature.

Initially wasn't impressed with the 15-45, but after getting home and having a play in LR it seems very good for a kit lens. Also took the Missus's 40mm, 10-18 and Sigma 17-50 with me - all performed really well on the M5.

What did surprise me was how good it was in low light. Think I'll be ordering this camera very soon :)
Welcome to the club! If you do buy thr M5, as per my earlier posts, give the Sigma 30mm f/f1.4 ART a try. One of my friend's cousin is a Nikon user but he popped in when I visited yesterday, I let him try my M5.... just heard he has decided to buy an M5...... he will have to move to avoid the Nikonistas...

Ignoring the size difference, which would you say is the better lens. The M22 or the 24 pancake?

Not bothered about having to use adaptor, in fact seriously considering ignoring M lenses all together (it isn't the size and weight I'm interested in, I just prefer mirrorless cameras).

Ignoring the size difference, which would you say is the better lens. The M22 or the 24 pancake?

Not bothered about having to use adaptor, in fact seriously considering ignoring M lenses all together (it isn't the size and weight I'm interested in, I just prefer mirrorless cameras).
Frankly they are both excellent, the 24 is compact and bright, the extra 2mm over the 22 is neither here nor there. Push me and say I can only have 1.... it would be the 22 pancake. The slightly better aperture is only noticeable in the dusk/evening street shots (when I would change to the f/1.4 30mm Sigma mentioned in my earlier posts. It is very quick on AF, exttemely sharp and no serious CA, even when pushed hard and has no extraneous electronics to cover IS. Colour rendition is superb in such a tiny lens. The 24 is plenty sharp too, not as well built as the 22 but still very usable.

Like you, I don't mind the adapter, my first choice UWA is the EF-S 10-18.

Summary..... EF-M 22mm pancake is my favourite and on my M10 is shirt pocket capable (just).... objective balance - the 24mm will also fit crop bodies the 22mm never will - but I do not share the 22 with anyone[emoji5].

Tough choice for you, which is why I have both. [emoji56]

I've had a chance to put some video I took yesterday through it's paces in Prem Pro today with really good results. Even upsampling to 4k for YouTube worked nicely and smoothly,

Going to think about it for a few more days, but think I've made my mind up to go for M5 + 15-45mm and the 28mm macro. I sell a lot of small products that would make boring images. Figure adding a few macro images will make articles a little more interesting.

I'll then get the 22 and 55-200 in time, plus the Hitech 67mm filter holder, as I have a good polariser to fit it already.

I've had a chance to put some video I took yesterday through it's paces in Prem Pro today with really good results. Even upsampling to 4k for YouTube worked nicely and smoothly,

Going to think about it for a few more days, but think I've made my mind up to go for M5 + 15-45mm and the 28mm macro. I sell a lot of small products that would make boring images. Figure adding a few macro images will make articles a little more interesting.

I'll then get the 22 and 55-200 in time, plus the Hitech 67mm filter holder, as I have a good polariser to fit it already.

Sounds like a plan.

The 28mm is really interesting. Been £226.97 at Jessore for a while. It is in my bag but I tend to overlook it. The LED light is useful but as I have a Yongnuo ring flash which goes on my EF-S 60mm macro, the 28mm lives with the light cover/cowl fitted. This allows other filters to be used and protects the LEDs. I got it primarily for the building of a 'prime' kit (22/28/30/40/50/60/85) but it usually is 22/24/30 with 15-45/55-200 and 10-18 that come out in a smaller canvas bag. Now Spring is here, the 28 will be out with me as the blossoms arrive.

Steve

Last edited:
Thanks for the heads up on the Jessops price Steve, hadn't seen that.

Not sure how much I'll use the LED, but can see it working well with my little Aputure AL-M9 that lives in my camera bag.

Thanks for the heads up on the Jessops price Steve, hadn't seen that.

Not sure how much I'll use the LED, but can see it working well with my little Aputure AL-M9 that lives in my camera bag.

I had thought about the AL-M9 a few times. The 28mm gives a tiny dof compared to the 60mm EF-S, and the m macrolite LEDs and the tiny dof was fine for shots of my stamp collection prior to selling up. Still a work in progress.

I wonder if you mount the AL-M9 on the camera it will actually illuminate the subject area? That is something I would appreciate hearing about when you try it out.

S

Last edited:
I've not tried it mounted on a camera Steve, but I'll give it a go and post results when (it is a when lol) my M5 arrives.

I've used it a lot around dawn/dust to highlight something I want to pop in landscapes etc - powerful little bugger and adjustable. I have quite a few different Aputure LED lights, but the little M9 is my favourite. Charge lasts ages as well.

My new EOS M10 has arrived, it's going to get an unglamorous life squeezed into the space designed for a water bottle in my hydration vest! I've bought it to start photographing my trail races, first out is 14 miles around Corfe Castle and Studland this Saturday.

Whilst it's inexplicably missing some really basic features such as bulb mode, panorama (which I will miss) and less crucially but an annoyance of mine - minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO, I couldn't really argue bang for buck. £275 with a (usefully wide) 15-45mm kit lens is a bit of a steal for an APS-C body.

I now just need to find a way to waterproof it whilst retaining relatively easy access and not increasing bulk. I'm thinking a small resealable bag of some sort.

My new EOS M10 has arrived, it's going to get an unglamorous life squeezed into the space designed for a water bottle in my hydration vest! I've bought it to start photographing my trail races, first out is 14 miles around Corfe Castle and Studland this Saturday.

Whilst it's inexplicably missing some really basic features such as bulb mode, panorama (which I will miss) and less crucially but an annoyance of mine - minimum shutter speed in Auto ISO, I couldn't really argue bang for buck. £275 with a (usefully wide) 15-45mm kit lens is a bit of a steal for an APS-C body.

I now just need to find a way to waterproof it whilst retaining relatively easy access and not increasing bulk. I'm thinking a small resealable bag of some sort.

I always keep a couple of seal-able freezer bags in my bag. Work a treat if I'm on a tripod and want quick protection from the elements.

Had a bad day when I took my M3 to Corfe Castle
Corfe Castle Storm.005.jpg

Back