Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I see a few folks mention the 11-18, why choose this over the 11-22 native m lens?

I see a few folks mention the 11-18, why choose this over the 11-22 native m lens?

I had the 11-22 when I had a M3 and really liked it. It's a good little lens. Really good IMO for the cost.

I also have a 10-18 here (actually belongs to Missus). The image quality of the 10-18 is great, about the same as the 11-22 in my experience. But it's cheaper and has that extra mm at the wide end which makes a lot of difference in certain situations. It's really light and it will obviously fit on crop Canon bodies as well.

Both are very good, just depends on whether you just want to use a M camera and if the the extra mm in focal length is worth the extra size to you.

Just bit the bullet and ordered the 28mm macro.
Taking a bit of a chance as ordered from Eglobal and haven't dealt with them before, but at £180 I figured worth the chance (obviously paid via PayPal).

The camera itself I'll buy from the UK next week (M5).

I had the 11-22 when I had a M3 and really liked it. It's a good little lens. Really good IMO for the cost.

I also have a 10-18 here (actually belongs to Missus). The image quality of the 10-18 is great, about the same as the 11-22 in my experience. But it's cheaper and has that extra mm at the wide end which makes a lot of difference in certain situations. It's really light and it will obviously fit on crop Canon bodies as well.

Both are very good, just depends on whether you just want to use a M camera and if the the extra mm in focal length is worth the extra size to you.

Ooops 10 mm

I have the old EF-s 10-22 I will have to try that out and see what the results are like

Is anyone here using the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 on a M5?

Decided I'll definitely buy a M5 in the next week, but not so happy with the kit zooms. Thinking either go the prime route (start with the native 22 and probably Sigma 30 f1.4) or possibly the Sigma 18-35.

Obviously I'd try these combos before buying, but as no shops within 2 hours of me have these items in stock I thought I'd ask here for now.

Not bothered by size, balance maybe (although the M5 was fine with a Sigma 17-50 f 2.8 attached which is 3/4 weight of 18-35)

What do you guys think of the M 18-150 zoom? Worthy of consideration?

What do you guys think of the M 18-150 zoom? Worthy of consideration?
I have tried the 18-150 on both my M10 and M5 and did not take to it. It's too big as a walkabout (22mm or 15-45mm more comfortable with 55-200mm in my deep jacket pocket) and there seemed a lot of errant colours and CA going on when I has a good look at the shots. The guy who lent me the lens has since rejected the lens, no details. It wss OK(ish) ona bright day but even f/3.5 would have helped.

Try it out and see if it suits your needs.

Love my M5 but one small niggly thing :sneaky:

The screen switches off and the viewfinder turns on, automatically. Can that be disabled do you know? I've looked through the manual with no luck so far.

If you tilt the screen and use your thumb or finger to touch, the screen goes blank :(

Does anyone have just the tripod mount for the EF adaptor they will sell?

I know a lot of people don't use this, but I'll be using larger lenses so will need it (the kit I'm buying has the adaptor, but no tripod mount attached)

Thanks.

Does anyone have just the tripod mount for the EF adaptor they will sell?

I know a lot of people don't use this, but I'll be using larger lenses so will need it (the kit I'm buying has the adaptor, but no tripod mount attached)

Thanks.
I am puzzled why Canon left the tripod mount for their adaptor off the M5 kit. probably a max of £2 to keep it in.

I have written to Canon but so answer.

For a good cheap alternative I bought the Meike adaptor

MeiKe Automatic Electronic Auto Focus AF Canon EF EF-S Mount Lens to EOS M EF-M Adapter https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00G34IQBW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_FUb7ybCPR26WW

This has a non-removable 1/4" tripod mount.

Worked well on the M I have now passed to my niece and she uses it with a carbon fibre monopod, fully working electronics and lighter than the Canon OEM version.

Steve

Cheers Steve. I'm a little reluctant to buy a cheaper adaptor as I'll be hanging some quite heavy glass of the front (pretty much decided on a Sigma 18-35).

What's even more annoying is I had the adaptor left over from my M3 rig and only sold it on here a few months back :)

Hoping someone here has one they are happy to sell (if anyone does please drop me a message, happy to pay descent money for just the tripod adaptor).

On the plus side, my 28 macro has now left eglobal - which is already more than I expected at the silly price (£180) :)

Last edited:
Cheers Steve. I'm a little reluctant to buy a cheaper adaptor as I'll be hanging some quite heavy glass of the front (pretty much decided on a Sigma 18-35).

What's even more annoying is I had the adaptor left over from my M3 rig and only sold it on here a few months back :)

Hoping someone here has one they are happy to sell (if anyone does please drop me a message, happy to pay descent money for just the tripod adaptor).

On the plus side, my 28 macro has now left eglobal - which is already more than I expected at the silly price (£180) :)
I hung a borrowed Sigma 150-500 f/5 APO on an M with the Meike and had no fears or issues. As the tripod mount was fixed it felt firmer than the demountable Canon original. My niece's heaviest lens at the moment is a borrowed EF 70-200 f/4 IS so I will give her a call later. for her take. She is doing a project over Easter for her uni course with the M and the 70-200.

I have been using the 28mm as a Prime walkabout and it is OK but as in earlier posts the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART is first choice alongside the 22mm. That daid, at the price you paid the 28 is a bargain.

Steve

Last edited:
Agree with the above. Although i use the Canon adaptor on my M, any Meike kit I've had in the past has been well made and up to the job. Grips, extension tubes etc. I would have no worries using the Meike between my M and any of my heavier lenses.

Sent from my Lenovo TAB 2 A10-70F using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

I hung a borrowed Sigma 150-500 f/5 APO on an M with the Meike and had no fears or issues. As the tripod mount was fixed it felt firmer than the demountable Canon original. My niece's heaviest lens at the moment is a borrowed EF 70-200 f/4 IS so I will give her a call later. for her take. She is doing a project over Easter for her uni course with the M and the 70-200.

I have been using the 28mm as a Prime walkabout and it is OK but as in earliee posts the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART is first choice alongside the 22mm. That daid, at the price you paid the 28 is a bargain.

Steve

Sounds encouraging Steve. In the past I've used different 3rd party adaptors on my Sony kit and been less than impressed - especially at how tight some are to attach (had the same issue with a set of M macro rings a while back). Is the Melke adaptor okay in this respect?

Regarding the 28mm Marco, I'm not expecting great things tbh. I've bought it to use mainly for getting interesting images for social media advertising. Anything else will be a bonus :)

Still on the fence about the Sigma 30mm. Does look a great lens, but I think the 18-35 f1.8 might be a better choice for me. I'm going to try both and see what results I can get.

Quick question, does the Sigma 30mm f1.4 have full time manual focus?

Thanks.

Sounds encouraging Steve. In the past I've used different 3rd party adaptors on my Sony kit and been less than impressed - especially at how tight some are to attach (had the same issue with a set of M macro rings a while back). Is the Melke adaptor okay in this respect?

Regarding the 28mm Marco, I'm not expecting great things tbh. I've bought it to use mainly for getting interesting images for social media advertising. Anything else will be a bonus :)

Still on the fence about the Sigma 30mm. Does look a great lens, but I think the 18-35 f1.8 might be a better choice for me. I'm going to try both and see what results I can get.

Quick question, does the Sigma 30mm f1.4 have full time manual focus?

Thanks.
Yes, the MF ring can be used anytime and even when you are in AF. Handy for close in work, but it is def not a Macro lrns.

The best bit for me is the low light capability so on the M5 in the evenings it is good but at f/1.4 it can be soft at the edges. I got mine when Sigma had the Cashback deal on so, if I remember, I paid about £219 and then added a £30 Amazon voucher on top so £189 all in. A no brainer. It's a lot cheaper, smaler and lighter than the Sig 35mm ART but it is worth getting a demo on the M5.

I like it as it hits 49mm on the crop body which is close on the human eye FOV so you effectively see the shot and bang you almost have what you see captured.

Steve

Ran just short of 15 miles with the EOS M10 and 15-45 strapped to my side on Saturday, thrilled with it. Did exactly what I wanted and the nice flat back meant no issues with it rubbing on me. Currently wondering if the 22mm f2 would be the more practical option (smaller still).

Maverick Dorset 22k by Chris Harrison, on Flickr

Ran just short of 15 miles with the EOS M10 and 15-45 strapped to my side on Saturday, thrilled with it. Did exactly what I wanted and the nice flat back meant no issues with it rubbing on me. Currently wondering if the 22mm f2 would be the more practical option (smaller still).

So you are hooked!

The 22mm is truly a brilliant lens, and a lot thinner than the 15-45, which is a fairly compact lens itself. The tiny front element of the 22mm is quite amazing. Truly pocketable on the M/M10.

Quite a number of the sliver finish versions are poping up on EBay, likely coming out of multi kits from US/Far East sources but often cheapest way to get one.

If you get down to Bath let me knowand you could try my 22mm out on your M10.

Steve

Just pulled the trigger on M5 + 15-45 + Adaptor - £999 (Jessops) plus £80 cashback.

Pretty happy with deal and should be here tomorrow :)

Still not decided on which more premium lens to go for, will go to a shop to try out before buying. Now, off to Amazon for batteries :)

How many spare batteries for a day out with the M5?

Or how many shots per charge?

How many spare batteries for a day out with the M5?

Or how many shots per charge?

The LP-E17 is, I estimste, good for 300-400 shots depending on how many facilities you are using (Live View, replay etc). It is a fairly small low powe battery.

The battery is coded but non-OEM will not charge on the OEM charger; when in the camera, you get a warning but fine on accepting. The screen will not display the charge indicator.

The same battery is used in the M3, 750D/760D and 77D.

I now have 4 x OEM batteries and 4 x DSTE non-OEM batteries. (I have a 750D too.

Worth remembering that the 28mm macrolite lens also uses the battery for the LED lights... v low but I found I was using the lights quite a lot when doing dtamp shots..

In the studio it mat be worth lookig at the LP-E18 mains adaptor.

Fits the M3 and 750D but not sure about the M5

The EX-PRO version is around £20

Steve

Last edited:
The LP-E17 is, I estimste, good for 300-400 shots depending on how many facilities you are using (Live View, replay etc). It is a fairly small low powe battery.

The battery is coded but non-OEM will not charge on the OEM charger; when in the camera, you get a warning but fine on accepting. The screen will not display the charge indicator.

The same battery is used in the M3, 750D/760D and 77D.

I now have 4 x OEM batteries and 4 x DSTE non-OEM batteries. (I have a 750D too.

Worth remembering that the 28mm macrolite lens also uses the battery for the LED lights... v low but I found I was using the lights quite a lot when doing dtamp shots..

In the studio it mat be worth lookig at the LP-E18 mains adaptor.

Fits the M3 and 750D but not sure about the M5

The EX-PRO version is around £20

Steve
So it'd do for a day's casual shooting, but spares required.

So it'd do for a day's casual shooting, but spares required.

Yes

the non-OEM are OK

The Canon originals are around £40 each (I got mine from Castle Cameras but Jessops want £65 each).

I have a USB E17 charger and a big power bank (20000 mHa) so rechaging in the field is easy and covers the Phone and IPad away from the car/ or motorhome.

Yes

the non-OEM are OK

The Canon originals are around £40 each (I got mine from Castle Cameras but Jessops want £65 each).

I have a USB E17 charger and a big power bank (20000 mHa) so rechaging in the field is easy and covers the Phone and IPad away from the car/ or motorhome.
Interesting, I could maybe use the Godox pb9600 powerpack for a charger on the move.

Interesting, I could maybe use the Godox pb9600 powerpack for a charger on the move.
I will bow to your skill on Voltage/Ampage on that... I wouldn't want to fry a £40 battery when my 5v 4amp £20 Powerbrick does OK!

Be interested in your results

I will bow to your skill on Voltage/Ampage on that... I wouldn't want to fry a £40 battery when my 5v 4amp £20 Powerbrick does OK!

Be interested in your results
There's a USB adaptor, it's suitable for an iPhone, which is about the pickiest thing I've ever tried to charge. So I assumed it'd be suitable for the charger.

There's a USB adaptor, it's suitable for an iPhone, which is about the pickiest thing I've ever tried to charge. So I assumed it'd be suitable for the charger.
USB is 5V dc so your kir will do the battery fine. Slower than the full on charger as the ampage is lower, also I think the mains charger steps voltage down to 7.2V dc

This is the USB charger I use

DSTE 2-Pack Battery and Dual USB Quick Charger Kit for Canon LP-E17 EOS M3 M5 77D 750D 760D 8000D 9000D Kiss X8i Rebel T6i T6s https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01N4L69RD/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_15M7ybVYF40C4

S

I asked about the Sigma 18-35 f1.4 on DPR as well as here last week. A few have now replied with an issue :(

It seems like this lens has a big problem focusing with live view on the 80d, due to DPAF. Basically it back-focuses, and to date there's nothing Sigma can or have done to fix this. On a 80d the viewfinder is still usable, but obviously not on the M5.

Take it you have no similar issues with the 30 f1.4 Steve?

I asked about the Sigma 18-35 f1.4 on DPR as well as here last week. A few have now replied with an issue :(

It seems like this lens has a big problem focusing with live view on the 80d, due to DPAF. Basically it back-focuses, and to date there's nothing Sigma can or have done to fix this. On a 80d the viewfinder is still usable, but obviously not on the M5.

Take it you have no similar issues with the 30 f1.4 Steve?

No, could be a single/batch issue? My Sig 30mm A has worked fine on my M/M10/M5/750D.

I am tied up in local sport committee meetings today but will pusk it hard when I am in town tomorrow.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Last edited:
No, could be a single/batch issue? My Sig 30mm A has worked fine on my M/M10/M5/750D.

I am tied up in local sport committee meetings today but will pusk it hard when I am in town tomorrow.

Sent from my NEM-L51 using Talk Photography Forums mobile app

Cheers Steve, although I think it's just an issue with the 18-35 and PDAF so 30mm should be fine.

I now have a M5, but not the way I'd planned.

Ordered from Jessops yesterday lunchtime, in stock and next day delivery. Checked the order an hour or so later and it said on-hold, so gave them a quick call and was told it's fine, in stock and would be here today. Checked again about 4.30 and still said on hold, so went on live-chat and was told it's fine, in stock and would be delivered today. Checked again at 6pm, still said on-hold, at 7pm the same, at 8pm went back onto live chat - not gone out and told to call in the morning. Great :)

So I did call this morning asked why it hadn't gone out. Couldn't get a real answer, so suspect it's not actually in stock at this time. Anyway, I cancelled the order and called LCE in Exeter. They had it in store in stock and were more than happy to match the Jessops deal. Just got back with my M5.

Sadly they didn't have any of the lenses I'm interested in, in stock but at least I have the camera with 15-45 and use of the Missus's Canon glass for now. I did more research on the 30mm Sigma last night and I'm leaning towards ordering one and the 22mm. Looking forward to getting out this weekend with it :)

Last edited:
I've had a google search but anyone know of a small 600 lens to suit the M & M3...?

I don't know of a small 600mm lens? There's the little Samyang mirror type lenses, but pretty sure they are not very good.

The Missus uses a Tamron 70-300 with a x2 converter, but this makes the lens f11. It's fine for her as she only wanted it for moon shots, but I'd imagine not good for much else.

I don't know of a small 600mm lens? There's the little Samyang mirror type lenses, but pretty sure they are not very good.

The Missus uses a Tamron 70-300 with a x2 converter, but this makes the lens f11. It's fine for her as she only wanted it for moon shots, but I'd imagine not good for much else.

I'll pass on the Samyang, was looking at the The Sigma 150-600mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM C, wasn't sure with today's technology if there was anything smaller or maybe in the pipeline.

Back