Canon EOS M Series Cameras

A VERY quick play with the M5. As I only have the 15-45mm atm (11-22mm and 55-200mm ordered) I attached the adapter and 70-300mm L and took a few shots around the house.
ISO on it blows away the 7D MKI and it looks to be a vey capable camera although the EVF will take some getting used to (have disabled the rear screen completely for the time being).

I wouldn't like to go much larger than the 70-300mm L on it as it's very unbalaned even then, using my 150-600mm Sigma Sport may be a bit of a nightmare never mind the 300mm IS f2.8 I recently sold :)Also. I know it sort of defeats the object but if Canon (or a third party) brought out a battery grip then I would snap one up in a heartbeat.

Anyway, just a quick picture of my normal test subject when I get a new camera ... I would normally be very wary of shooting ISO 1600 on the 7D but no problems here and a lot more room no manouvre yet I think.

Finlay by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Glad you like the M5, it has kept me in the M camp. I have the 50-200 but mulling over the 11-22. I have been using the EF-S 10-18 as my UWA but recent use with the adapter fitted on the M5 has made me lean to getting the 11-22.

I ordered an M6 which my son is picking up for me on Friday and he is having my M10/15-45 combo". I have a feeling the 11-22 will be a huge temptation when the M6 arrives.

I have been reducing my remaining DSLR kit lately and my neck (which I broke last year) feels the value of the lighter bag weight!

Steve

On Sunday I photographed some Harvest Mice (captive) primarily with my Canon 7D Mark II with 100-400mm L II mounted. I then swopped to shooting on my EOS M5 with Canon 100mm L macro mounted. What I noticed was that shooting on the M5 felt as if there was shutter lag and also slowness in image transferring to card. The 7D2 has a CF card and the M5 a rather standard 95Mb/s speed rate SD.

This perception of performance led me to swop back from the M5 to using the 7D2 but after the session I found that my M5 shots were more consistent and I prefer them.

I think that I should upgrade the SD card in my M5 to see if it improves how the camera feels to shoot.

Although generally the IQ of both cameras is equal, the M5 does not feel that it nails action shots so well while shooting.

Last edited:
On Sunday I photographed some Harvest Mice (captive) primarily with my Canon 7D Mark II with 100-400mm L II mounted. I then swopped to shooting on my EOS M5 with Canon 100mm L macro mounted. What I noticed was that shooting on the M5 felt as if there was shutter lag and also slowness in image transferring to card. The 7D2 has a CF card and the M5 a rather standard 95Mb/s speed rate SD.

This perception of performance led me to swop back from the M5 to using the 7D2 but after the session I found that my M5 shots were more consistent and I prefer them.

I think that I should upgrade the SD card in my M5 to see if it improves how the camera feels to shoot.

Although generally the IQ of both cameras is equal, the M5 does not feel that it nails action shots so well while shooting.

That's the one reason which keeps holding me back, would be interesting to see if a faster card makes a difference.

I am using a Lexar Pro card (1000x) wehich is 150MB/sec and a Sandisk Extreme 95MB/sec both 64Gb in my M5

No lag noticeable.

I am using a Lexar Pro card (1000x) wehich is 150MB/sec and a Sandisk Extreme 95MB/sec both 64Gb in my M5

No lag noticeable.

....Coincidentally before reading your post, Steve, I came here to say I have just ordered exactly the same Lexar card : http://carmarthencameras.com/lexar-...00x-speed-150mb-s-sdxc-flash-memory-card.html

I notice lag in writing images to my Sandisk Extreme Pro 95MB/sec 16Gb card on my M5. I don't shoot any video and am only interested in fast write speeds and nor read speeds.

Sadly my m adventure is st an end, the 22mm is sold and the m kit is in the classifieds. I just got bored waiting for canon to produce the lenses that interest me. The m and 22mm have gone everywhere with me for 2 years but now it will be the Fuji xt-10 that is the go to option.

Sadly my m adventure is st an end, the 22mm is sold and the m kit is in the classifieds. I just got bored waiting for canon to produce the lenses that interest me. The m and 22mm have gone everywhere with me for 2 years but now it will be the Fuji xt-10 that is the go to option.

Understandable. The M5 and now the M6 as bodies are brilliant but.........

It is about lens selection

The 28mm is OK
The 18-55mm is v good
The 15-45 is basically a smaller kit lens and is more compact than the 18-55
The 55-200 is excellent and serves me well.
The 18-150 is, for me, a weighty toy on any body that is not the M5. The 3 I tried were a CA nightmare. Yea PS can rescue it but, at heart, I locked into a 'film' mentality.

The 22mm f/2 Pancake is anabsolute gem. At f/2 it is, sadly, the fastest M lens. It is discrete and punchy, almost reaching out and dragging the colours in and throwing them onto the sensor.

Finally for a lens I an holding off on. (reason at the end).

The 11-22 uwa. It's nice, vert balanced, sharp and has IS. It is currently at it's cheapest (non grey) price

So why did I not buy it last week.....

1. I am happy withe the EF-S 11-18 IS

2. Unless Canon supprt the M range with a real engagement.... I shall sell the whole lot and move to MFT or (more likely) Fuji.

3. My current project is an extention to that which I started last year. I will complete it at the end of August.

4. An long time friend has invited me to join her on a Fall Photo Tour of New England. (Which also resonates with my Wild Atlantic Way project in Ireland). She has her and her late husband's very full Fuji kit so I will be flying light

I feel Canon are not interested in the M series as a standalone range but more a 'value add' to the DSLR range.

Sad but I am losing interest and patience with Canon

The canon attitude to the m series is funny as they have listened to the criticism of the bodies and delivered in the M5 and M6 two excellent high end bodies that are up there with the very best of the mirrorless market but the lens line up is littered with lots of meh general purpose lenses that while decent enough are far from exciting and unlikely to draw in the high end users the bodies are aimed at. Surely it wouldn't take much to convert the existing 40mm pancake to the m mount?

The canon attitude to the m series is funny as they have listened to the criticism of the bodies and delivered in the M5 and M6 two excellent high end bodies that are up there with the very best of the mirrorless market but the lens line up is littered with lots of meh general purpose lenses that while decent enough are far from exciting and unlikely to draw in the high end users the bodies are aimed at. Surely it wouldn't take much to convert the existing 40mm pancake to the m mount?

I don't understand their mentality either, all I hear is "but we have an adapter and you can use all of our eos lenses on it" It's just like the lack of 4k argument, people want it, people use it, but canon don't think logically any more. Maybe tamrons new and imminent 18-400 will be produced in eos m mount and be good enough across the board and make an m5 with that lens an ideal all in one job,

I've never even owned the adapter I don't see the point in it. The smallest EOS lens I own is the 35mm f2 IS and that's bigger and heavier than an m series body!

The reason I peesisted was the hope (finally delivered wuth the M5/M6) of high quality bodies and some exceptional lenses; not delivered). i have the adapters and use a variety of EF and EF-S lenses (incl 24mm STM, 40mm STM, 50mm STM, 60mm macro, 85mm along with a variety of other lenses.

Yes they work well, the innovative use of a dedicated OEM adaoter is great BUT -I was captured by high quality Canon brand COMPACT SYSTEM in th CSC model. Lower weight.

Oh well

Bacon Roll on a quiet beach and another warm day ahead..... Hell on earth eh? [emoji41]

I've never even owned the adapter I don't see the point in it. The smallest EOS lens I own is the 35mm f2 IS and that's bigger and heavier than an m series body!

....It's horses-for-courses when choosing any camera gear. We each have different requirements and uses.

For me personally, I would have absolutely no interest in it whatsoever if the M5 did not have the option of the EF lens adapter. Canon have answered my prayers by producing the M5 as a smaller brother to the D-SLR bodies and which offers matching image quality.

The bottom line is that there is no such thing as the perfect camera body nor camera lens. Any manufacturer claiming so is just piling on marketing hype. Horse-for-Courses.

My Sigma 18-35 turned up an hour ago - so far I'm very, very happy with it :)

I miss the look of my A7ii images, but as I've decided to keep photography as a hobby (apart from my own work) having near £10k in gear was a bit silly. Can honestly say that the images I took today were as good as I'd have gotten from the Sony.

Focus has been sharp and fast at f1.8 in the multiple shots I've taken so far of my favourite model (the dog). Taken around 100 shots in a badly lit room, almost all have perfect focus. Also colours and contrast look great.

I did a quick video test as well, again at f1.8 in a dark hallway with a lot of plain white bits. No hunting at all, always perfectly in focus.

Using it manually, it's a dream with focus peaking on. Rings are so smooth it's easy to both nail a shot or pull focus smoothly in video.

Early days, but if this lens continues to work as well as it has so far then I may as well weld it onto my M5 :)

In fact that might be a good idea as have a feeling that once the Missus tries it on her camera I might not see it again....

Looking forward to really putting it through it's paces, hopefully tomorrow.
A few months on how are you finding the 18-35? I'm currently thinking of adding a M5 as a smaller walkabout option for my 5D3 (which normally has the 35mm art). I was thinking initially about using the 35mm on the M5 but I think 35mm on a crop my be a bit long.

That then prompted me to look at the M5 body only and 18-35mm art, maybe the 22mm f2 stm for when size matters :)

Last edited:
A few months on how are you finding the 18-35? I'm currently thinking of adding a M5 as a smaller walkabout option for my 5D3 (which normally has the 35mm art). I was thinking initially about using the 35mm on the M5 but I think 35mm on a crop my be a bit long.

That then prompted me to look at the M5 body only and 18-35mm art, maybe the 22mm f2 stm for when size matters :)

Sounds like the M5 and 22mm would suit you very well if you use a 35mm on your 5D3 most of the time. Though not as versatile as a zoom, you will retain the way you look at things and compose in your head before raising the camera to take the shot. It's a brilliant little lens.

Sounds like the M5 and 22mm would suit you very well if you use a 35mm on your 5D3 most of the time. Though not as versatile as a zoom, you will retain the way you look at things and compose in your head before raising the camera to take the shot. It's a brilliant little lens.
Thanks Steve, that was my thought. This is my first dip into the mirrorless world, however I'm already thinking about downsizing some of my kit for the future. Hopefully Canon will eventually bring out some other fast lenses rather relying on everyone to use converted EF lenses.

Hopefully Canon will eventually bring out some other fast lenses rather relying on everyone to use converted EF lenses.

Amen to that, I think we are all hoping along those lines.
Having said that, the converter does work very well, making the whole system very versatile.
You might find your 5D3 gets a lot less use though ;)

I've got a Canon M original version that i've not used much and has been laying around and want to get to using it more as i've gotten hold of an EF lens convertor.

Does anyone have much experience with improving the battery life with a higher mAH battery from Amazon or the likes?

Amen to that, I think we are all hoping along those lines.
Having said that, the converter does work very well, making the whole system very versatile.
You might find your 5D3 gets a lot less use though ;)

In a way thats what I'm hoping for and if the rumours of a FF mirrorless come to fruition the 5D3 may end up in the classifieds

Does anyone have much experience with improving the battery life with a higher mAH battery from Amazon or the likes?

Sorry, no experience here, all mine are 900 mAh from Ex-Pro and Maxsimafoto, but I hear the 2300 mAh ones from DSTE are supposed to have a bit longer life, but by how much I dont know.
Hopefully somebody on here will have tried them and can give some firsthand experience.

Still not had a chance to take the M5 out on a proper trip (taking it to RIAT next week along with the 7D and Pentax K3II) but took this today with the 55-200mm and Raynox DCR-250 attached.
Makes for a very lightweight macro rig, not as sharp as a decicated macro lens but pleased with the output.

34858222264_481e170e83_b.jpg

I've just ordered an M10 with 15-45mm lens.
I might get the 22mm lens, but first I plan to get an EF to EF-M adaptor.
Has anyone used a third party adaptor?
The Meike one has good reviews on Amazon - Link
and at the price of £24 it seems worth the punt.

I've just ordered an M10 with 15-45mm lens.
I might get the 22mm lens, but first I plan to get an EF to EF-M adaptor.
Has anyone used a third party adaptor?
The Meike one has good reviews on Amazon - Link
and at the price of £24 it seems worth the punt.

Thanks for the info about the Meike adaptor.

My M10 arrived this morning. Had a brief play and am pretty pleased. The Meike adaptor also arrived this afternoon, so I will get to test that out tonight and properly over the weekend. First up the 50mm f1.4!

m5 body is down to 619 at hdew till monday..

Very tempted at that price, though with an original M and the M10 in my bag, there'd be a scolding from the budget police, aka my good lady wife. :police:

But layman logic dictates an M5 must be half the cost of an M10, right? ;)

Have the Meike version and no issues at all really. Used on my original M

The Meike adaptor is well made and the tripod connector was fixed unlike the Canon removable version which could loosen in use.

Worth checking the mount fixing as it may have changed.", but when I had it, the connection with the camera never failed.

Well after all the indecision and muling over staying with the M series altogether.....

I bought the ef-m 11-22 uwa.

I will collect it in Derry tomorrow and despite my temptation (as I noted in a previous post) I am staying with the M series. I am very happy with the M5 and in all honesty, the M6/22mm pancake combo is, as Clarkson might say, "sweeeeet".

The lightweight kit is a boon and it is as suble a kit as I need. Further downsizing of my kit will continue. Took my gripped50D and EF-S 15-85 out for a session along some cliffs yesterday, nice balance but the weight..... Moral of the story, don't break your neck (literally in my case) and expect not to find long term kit and loaded kit bag issues!

Somehow I have ended up with 2x 11-22mm lenses :thinking:
Sleep Shopping? [emoji56]

It's not unusual to end up with duplicate kit, as I ended up with 3 x 22mm pancake lenses!

One went with an M I passed to my niece who is doing photojournalism at Uni and a friend from the USA recently gave me a silver 22mm version.

Steve

I bought one from Currys (same price as Amazon) with a discounted gift card from Morrisons and the morning I was supposed to pick it up Cash converters listed one on Ebay. I made a silly offer and it was accepted but it was too late to cancel the one from Currys (besides it was a lot of hassle to get a refund because it was paid for with a gift card) so I cliamed the £40 cashback from Canon and I will sell the new one when prices have gone back up.

I also have 2 Canon lens converters.

I was going to take the M5 to RIAT today but didn't bother because of the heavy cloud. Shame as I would have liked to have seen how it did against my MKI 7D

Last edited:
Very tempted at that price, though with an original M and the M10 in my bag, there'd be a scolding from the budget police, aka my good lady wife. :police:

But layman logic dictates an M5 must be half the cost of an M10, right? ;)

The more it drops the more I'm tempted, but a big repair bill for my 7d2 has taken most of it out. So doubt I can take advantage.

My father-in-law has just ordered an EOS M5 from Amazon, as he has the original EOS M, as well as a 60D. Couple of quick questions, for you lot who have the M5, can it replace his 60D? He already has the EF lens adapter, and I assume it will work with the M5? This will never be his main body, as he has 7DMkII and original 7D, this leads to the question, I normally borrow his 60D, as my Fuji X equipment isn't up to my old Canon gear so far, do you think I can trust the EOS M5 to be comparable to the 60D if I take it on holiday with me, with some EF lenses as the 15-45 isn't enough.

Finally, what is the battery life like, compared with both the original EOS M and the 60D? Oh, and is it worth getting the 22mm f/2 lens, since I can only borrow a 50mm prime currently? Thanks, and sorry for all the questions. :)

Back