Canon EOS M Series Cameras

£134 for a white box. I'm sure they were around £300 when I bought my original M hence the reason for going for an EF-S 55-250mm plus Meike adaptor which came in at about £100.

There has been an extra drop in UK Sourced stock

Just checked CPB and the 55-200 M lens is down to £245 (Amazon/Jessops/John Lewis etc) with a £40 canon cashback available on top (ends 31.08.2017) which gives a £205 price for official UK stock. John Lewis offers a 2 year warranty.

White box stock is cheaper still but, always a risk.

Steve

Now that the M5 and M6 have really good focus with the adapter and canon EF lenses do you think they will ever make any nice smaller native primes.
They spoiled us with the 22mm f2 but that was 5 years ago.

Good idea Canonl, we're have more M cameras than prime lenses.

The advertising seems to be pitched at a younger user with the use of 'funky' jackets and a 'selfie' machine.

The M6 is not that different but, in it's sliver finish, a more retro 'old fart' must have.

You are spot on in the dearth of Prime lenses for the M but, if the M100 is aimed at a selfy/social media user (lots of connectivity) then the kit 15-45 lens sits bang on the money for that purpose.

I love the M5 and use it before any of my other kit but the M100 does stick in the craw when there is a need for more of a cogent 'pro' range of primes.

Time for another moan at Canon.

Steve

It's almost like they don't want to get stung again. They made an initial 3 good quality lenses 22,18-55,11-22 but got screwed by everyone bashing the autofocus so the bodies didn't sell.
And now it's almost like they have decided to just wait until the ef lenses on adapter focus as fast as naitive mount. And they are getting there on that sense but then that also defeats the small size factor of apsc mirror less.
I'm glad the M5 and M6 have improved things and the sales of those bodies are on the up so let's hope hey finally give us just one smallish f1.8 portrait lens( of course 1.2 and 1.4 would be nice but again probably big size wise)

It's almost like they don't want to get stung again. They made an initial 3 good quality lenses 22,18-55,11-22 but got screwed by everyone bashing the autofocus so the bodies didn't sell.
And now it's almost like they have decided to just wait until the ef lenses on adapter focus as fast as naitive mount. And they are getting there on that sense but then that also defeats the small size factor of apsc mirror less.
I'm glad the M5 and M6 have improved things and the sales of those bodies are on the up so let's hope hey finally give us just one smallish f1.8 portrait lens( of course 1.2 and 1.4 would be nice but again probably big size wise)

To get the light into an f/1.2 is always going to need a bigger front end.

Sticking with the Sig 30mm f/1.4 ART sm M 22mm pancake for now.

See where things are in 18 months time.

My M6 and EF-M 55-200mm finally arrived late yesterday afternoon.

After a bit of messing about in the settings, I'm much happier with the speed of the autofocus and shot to shot speed which were my mains gripes with the EOS M.

The articulating screen should also help a lot in certain situations, although I do intend to buy an EVF at some point.

I'm also quite liking the Bluetooth/WIFI connectivity via the Canon Smartphone APP.

Just need to get out and take some photographs now. I was always happy with the EOS M picture quality, so if it's even better which it should be then that's a bonus.

Overall very happy so far. A worthwhile upgrade.

My M6 and EF-M 55-200mm finally arrived late yesterday afternoon.

After a bit of messing about in the settings, I'm much happier with the speed of the autofocus and shot to shot speed which were my mains gripes with the EOS M.

The articulating screen should also help a lot in certain situations, although I do intend to buy an EVF at some point.

I'm also quite liking the Bluetooth/WIFI connectivity via the Canon Smartphone APP.

Just need to get out and take some photographs now. I was always happy with the EOS M picture quality, so if it's even better which it should be then that's a bonus.

Overall very happy so far. A worthwhile upgrade.

Well looking at your location you have plenty of opportunity to test the new set up.

Early to mid October I try to get down to Pendine Sands to get the sunsets and long empty beach.

Last time I was there (late October 2016) I popped by after coming off the Rosslare ferry to find JLR testing a new engine in a Range Rover - awesome sound and nobody but the JLR tog and me (on the walkway) with a camera!

This year it will be an all M set up. M5/M6, 11-22, 22, 18-55, 55-200.... plus the hoped for new range of primes I have dreamed up for them - 14, 30, 40, 85, 120 (macro), 300 (f/2.8)......

Steve

Reactions: SMT
Yes it is beautiful around here when the sun shines, not that it has been doing much of that this summer unfortunately. I live in Goodwick near the ferry terminal.

I'm off to France next week for a couple of months, back for a month and then off to Cuba for a month which was my main reason for the upgrade to the M6. I'll be taking the M6, 11-22, 22, 55-200 and maybe my travel tripod.

Has anyone experience of the 85mm f1.8 on the M/M2? I would be using for portraits and not concerned about the speed but more the accuracy.

I bought a M10 a few months back as a walkaround camera but haven't bonded with it yet. Not sure if I can live without a viewfinder, and I find I keep accidentally changing settings on the touchscreen. Not a fan of the battery life either. Picture quality is fine though, and more than happy with the photos I get out of it.

Any tips for making the best of it ? @ABTog - you seem to enjoy using yours ?

I bought a M10 a few months back as a walkaround camera but haven't bonded with it yet. Not sure if I can live without a viewfinder, and I find I keep accidentally changing settings on the touchscreen. Not a fan of the battery life either. Picture quality is fine though, and more than happy with the photos I get out of it.

I got used to the lack of. Viewfinder but the EVF on the M5 is superb.

I got the M6 without the add on EVF but it is not proving to be an issue.

You may need to persist with the M10. I tend to use myM10 on a tripod and with a black micro fiber towel thrown over for that antique retro look!

I bought my M10 about 2 months ago and so far I'm pretty happy. I took it to Paris and Disneyland (ideal as it's small and light) and then due to my 6D going in for repair, I took it to Norway as well (that trip I also took my 24-105L and 50mm f1.4).
The lack of viewfinder is ok, it's only my secondary camera, so I still have a DSLR for other occassions. The touchscreen is good when you want to use it, I know what you mean about accidentally changing settings. I turned off the "touch-shutter" as that was really annoying. The main thing is finding a way to carry it. I think with thin summer clothing, the screen can think that your body is a like a finger touching it, so changes the settings. I guess with wearing more layers in autumn and winter, this will be less of a problem.

I'm really happy with the image quality, it's at least on par with my old 60D, which had a similar spec sensor. I got some great images in Norway and actually it was handy having a smaller camera when hiking up hills. I even took a few filters as I found that the old Cokin A series filter holder fits the 15-45mm really well and I had some from the film camera kit I bought in February.

A few photos I've taken with the M10 are here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsm6jDa5C though I've not uploaded many from Norway yet.

Thanks @ABTog and @Hugh Jarse. Will definitely give it an extended go to see if I can get on with it a bit better before deciding what to do with it.
I've also had the carrying issue. Tried the bundled strap which I didn't get on with, and then a wrist strap which is better for using the camera but seems to amplify the issues I have with the accidentally touching the touch screen.

@ABTog I like the images you get out of yours, and (also from your 60D). Are you doing much with the images in post ? This almost looks like Kodak Portra film

https://flic.kr/p/Xr7Nvo

Thanks @ABTog and @Hugh Jarse. Will definitely give it an extended go to see if I can get on with it a bit better before deciding what to do with it.
I've also had the carrying issue. Tried the bundled strap which I didn't get on with, and then a wrist strap which is better for using the camera but seems to amplify the issues I have with the accidentally touching the touch screen.

@ABTog I like the images you get out of yours, and (also from your 60D). Are you doing much with the images in post ? This almost looks like Kodak Portra film

https://flic.kr/p/Xr7Nvo

I find that the M10 is light enough to just carry it in my hand, but I do sling it over my should on the standard strap.
My full frame 6D is quite heavy, especially when it's got the 24-105L on it, but I like the M10 as I get the same image quality as my old 60D in a much smaller package.

I definitely recommend using it properly for a while. Because I was forced to use mine for a while on two trips, I've got used to some of the foibles and gradually customised the settings to what I like.
For example:
AF operations = One Shot
AF Method = 1-point AF
Continuous AF = Off (this saves battery and only focuses when you half press the shutter)
Manual Focus peaking is turned on. Really handy with EF lenses.
Touch shutter - disabled
Touch shutter icon - off (stops you accidentally enabling touch shutter)
Eco mode is off - but....
Power saving is set to power down after 1min

The thing I think you want is in the menu, Setup 3:
Screen auto-lock settings = enable
Auto-locks after = 10sec

Turning this on will mean that if you don't touch the screen (ie when you're just carrying it) it'll lock out the touch controls, re-enabling them when you press one of the physical buttons.

I do post-process in Lightroom. I am currently shooting RAW+jpg on the M10. This is partly because I need convert the RAW files to DNG for my copy of Lightroom to read them. The other reason is so I can see how the jpgs are coming out, the jpg picture profile is Portrait.

Here's a side-by-side comparison taken at the weekend. In camera jpg on the left, LR processed on the right.
IMG_1683-comparison.jpg

Has anyone experience of the 85mm f1.8 on the M/M2? I would be using for portraits and not concerned about the speed but more the accuracy.

I have used it on my M10 and found the weight a bit unbalanced. Not used is for portraits work at all (5D II is the mainstay for that). Easier on the M5 for some monument shots and the AF is fine, colour rendition spot on. Not a lot more to say really. In normal use the EF-M 55-200 at f/5.6 - f/11 is very good on the M5 and the 85mm spot is bright and useable enough without needing f/1.8.

I have no doubt the M10 will do a good job for portraiture with the 85mm but it is a 136mm equivalent on a crop sensor camera, so not a true short telephoto. Close to the 35mm fim camera standard of 135mm.

I can say, however, I have a couple of friends who use the Helios 58mm 44-2 manual lens on an EOS M for a bit of portrait work - very nice results but manual focus and remember that if you use manual lenses there is no electrical connection to the camera body. You need to select release shutter without lens fitted in the menu. I loved using my manual lenses (both screw and K mount with adaptor mo my original M bodies.

The thing I think you want is in the menu, Setup 3:
Screen auto-lock settings = enable
Auto-locks after = 10sec

Turning this on will mean that if you don't touch the screen (ie when you're just carrying it) it'll lock out the touch controls, re-enabling them when you press one of the physical buttons.

Brilliant, cheers, that's exactly what I want. Thanks for the rest of the very helpful post too.

Today I packed my camera bag for a 9 day trip to New England. Travelling light via Wow Air, Dublin to Boston via Reykjavik. Reduced to EOS M5, 11-22M, 22M, 18-55M and 55-200M. 270EX Speedlight, 3 batteries, USB charger, 20,000mAh power bank and a cheap carbon monopod. Finally my iPad pro which has 4G available so I can pick up a sim if needed.

I ave opted for a separate carry on bag for my clothes.

I have played around with a variety of lens combinations but decided on using just the EF-M kit so no EF-S oe EF kit. My friends I am meeting up with are both Nikon users so no sharing there and no need for the M - EF lens adapter.

I am likely to have forgotten something so any thoughts or suggestions would be welcome. I am used to being able to load my motorhome with literally any kit I need but this trip is to challenge myself. I am still thinking of using the 15-45 in place of the bigger 18-55. I would lose 10mm in an otherwise 11-200mm coverage.

Steve

Last edited:
Some memory :).

Enjoy your trip.

Made that mistake once a long time ago..... once!

4 x tested SanDisk Extreme 64Gb card in a waterproof armoured case on a latch ring locked to an O ring in the bag... they are emergency only! The usual cards are in the camera and a smaller waterproof memory case.

That said - your point is taken... just treble checked!

Steve

Old post and this obviously isn't the case anymore. The cheapest you can seem to get the 22mm new is nearly double this at £150 ?

Depends on new/used offering. The £150 quoted is a median.

Amazon/Currys are doing UK stock at £169

Is it worth it? Oh most definitely! It is a number one choice over 50% of the time. The 15-45 (new kit lent) is lightweight but at 45mm , it's widest aperture,is around f/6 so OK in bright situations but evening 'street' can be difficult. The 22mm pancake at f/2 is great and just exudes quality. If Canon can produce a prime of 30 or 40mm bright pancake, to the same standard of the 22mm, I would buy it straight away. I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART and it does a good job but a canon M would see the Sigma on it's way.

Steve

I think the prices of the e-fm lenses are only going to increase the more popular the M series becomes. You used to even be able to get the 11-22 used for around £180 back in the day but it's almost hitting £240 these days.
I can t believe the M is 5 years old now.
Come on canon give us a set of native primes!

As good as the 22mm is I really like the. 11-22mm. It really is a cracking lens.

Agreed. For me, however, the 22 on the M6 really is a nice combination and an easy carry in a jacket pocket.

I was happy using the EF-S 10-18 as my UWA on the M10 but getting the M5 was a game changer so the 11-22 was a game changer and I am vdry happy with it. That I got the M6 too, gave me the walkabout platform for thd 22 pancake, so was lucky to have the best of both worlds.

The 18-150, on the other hand, really doesn't hack it for me. The 4 copies I have tried have been poor for me and the CA alone is a pain. It is, IMO, horrendously overpriced for it's quality and utility. The recurring question is "why?".

Canon needs to see the M series as a separate entity and perhaps, with the M5/M6/M100 range, build a discrete prime lens range rather than push the ef/ef-s adapter as it's USP.

Last edited:
Old post and this obviously isn't the case anymore. The cheapest you can seem to get the 22mm new is nearly double this at £150 ?
Yes the post you quoted was from page 8 and is now three years old!
That post was from 2014 and used prices have definitely gone up since then. The 22mm is still the nicest EF-M lens especially on the smaller bodies, but whether it's worth £150 only you can decide :)

I haven't been on this thread for quite a while, I purchased an original (dare I say classic!!!) EOS M when they first came out, and frankly, other than a trip to Rio a couple of years ago, haven't used it (it was good as a street camera there, however!!)

I bought it with the 90EX flash unit, the 22mm f2 STM and the 18-55mm lenses, and with an adaptor for the standard EOS lenses.

My question is....how much improved over the original M are the latest bodies?....reading reports it seems the lenses I have are reasonable, and I'm swithering about selling the lot or upgrading the body and perhaps using it as an emergency (and small) backup to my main DSLRs on trips.

Comments appreciated!!

Thanks,

George.

@George If you haven't felt the need to use it for a few years, then you probably already know the answer - sell it. Unless you're paying out for a model with an EVF, then usage isn't going be significantly different on the newer models.

However, I'd probably give it a good run out before you do sell it. Try using it as you sole camera for a couple of weeks ? You'll probably have a better answer then.
I'm in a similar position with my M10 as it's just sat in a bag unused for a good few months now. I'll give it a run out for a couple of weeks before making my mind up

I haven't been on this thread for quite a while, I purchased an original (dare I say classic!!!) EOS M when they first came out, and frankly, other than a trip to Rio a couple of years ago, haven't used it (it was good as a street camera there, however!!)

I bought it with the 90EX flash unit, the 22mm f2 STM and the 18-55mm lenses, and with an adaptor for the standard EOS lenses.

My question is....how much improved over the original M are the latest bodies?....reading reports it seems the lenses I have are reasonable, and I'm swithering about selling the lot or upgrading the body and perhaps using it as an emergency (and small) backup to my main DSLRs on trips.

Comments appreciated!!

Thanks,

George.

The most recent bodies (M5 and M6) are a significant improvement in AF performance over previous models. They also both allow for an electronic viewfinder - built-in on the M5 and add-on for the M6. That's useful for me as I need glass to see the screen but can use the EVF without, but depends if you need/want that. The original EOS M was minimilistic on external controls which some like and others don't. Later cameras have added more control which may suit a more advanced user more than someone upgrading from a point-and-shoot. The lenses haven't changed much - most people say not enough! The 22mm remains (arguably) the best lens in the system, but there's one more prime lens (28mm macro) and the rest are all zooms. In my experience the kit zoom you have (18-55) is also rather good...

Comments appreciated!!

Thanks,

George.
If your DSLR is your main camera just keep the M for when you want something small for snaps. If you upgrade the body is it to replace the DSLR? If not then probably not worth it.

Last edited:
Thanks all for your helpful and constructive comments.

My main cameras are a couple of 1 Dx mk2s, but if I'm on a longish trip, say >2 weeks, then I get a bit paranoid about body problems......it's surprising how many times others have had body issues, although in all honesty I've never heard of 2 going down...that would be just too unlucky.

It was the AF performance I was thinking of really, and I think as I'm away for a few days this weekend I'll try the original M with some of my lenses and see how it performs.

Perhaps the sensible thing to do is to keep the body (as I assume it's practically worthless now!!) and the adaptor and sell the lenses as it seems there is a market for them.

Thanks again guys, always interesting to get others opinions!!

George.

AF performance on the new models is certainly a lot better than the "classic" but still nowhere near a DSLR.

I recently used the M5 (before I sold it) to photograph the Red Arrows with the adapter and 70-300mm L and while the IQ was very good the AF speed (especially in low light) was nowhere near even that of my ageing MKI 7D

Saying that I sold the M5 to try a Fuji XT-20 but can't quite manage to bring myself to make the purchase ... I miss the M5, it's a lovely little camera.

Last edited:
Thanks, Mike, well it's packed with the converter fitted and ready for a workout!!....perhaps I'll be selling the mk2s!!!....

Back