Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I haven't been on this thread for quite a while, I purchased an original (dare I say classic!!!) EOS M when they first came out, and frankly, other than a trip to Rio a couple of years ago, haven't used it (it was good as a street camera there, however!!)

I bought it with the 90EX flash unit, the 22mm f2 STM and the 18-55mm lenses, and with an adaptor for the standard EOS lenses.

My question is....how much improved over the original M are the latest bodies?....reading reports it seems the lenses I have are reasonable, and I'm swithering about selling the lot or upgrading the body and perhaps using it as an emergency (and small) backup to my main DSLRs on trips.

Comments appreciated!!

Thanks,

George.

As others have said, the M series has moved on. I dipped my toe in with the Argos £199.99 deal a few years back, originally for it's novelty factor. As time passed I found myself using it more and more. The dearth of M lenses is annoying and the prime choice of the superb 22mm Pancake and 28mm macrolite is disheartening. I got the 28mm to catalogue my stamp collection! It has a very thin d.o.f and the inbuilt led ring works fine. It does not leave the house though. I have the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART for that range but it brings the ef-m to ef/ef-s adapter into use.

The 2 kit lenses cover their roles well. The 15-45 is lightest and smaller of ghe two. The one you have is better built and is bigger. It is also excellent for video work to.

Both the 11-22 and 55-200 are very capable too. As per my earlier post, the 18-150 puzzles me. I have tried 4 copies and none have been great. A known CA issue dogs it and it seems, IMHO, incompatible with my M5.

Having big hands I originally struggle with the EOS M but I added a bespoke L Plate with an Arca QR plate builtin. Gave it a better handling but the lack of any viewfinder is an issue.

I have moved both the M bodies on and now have an M5/M6 and M10. The latter was a cheap buy on a Canon Cash-back.

I have used the early M bodies on a coastal project I start in Summer 2016 and completed this Summer with an M/M10 and a M5 eventually. I still use EF/EF-S and EF-M lens kit but my upcoming trip to New England is all EOS M kit. Lightened to just the M5 and 4 lenses as detailed in an earlier post.

Give your kit a workout but do be flexible in your approach. Sadly the Canon CSC been compromised by it's own flexibility in 'being all things to all men (and women)".

Being honest, the lure of going 'Fuji' does wander onto my landscape in a 'prime ordering' way (apologies for the pun). So far I resist but my New England trip may change my landscape.

Might be worth trying am M5.
Note - edit to show M5 not M)

Steve

Last edited:
I'm looking for a small bag which I can grab quickly with just the M5 22mm combo more for protection really, any suggestion?

Last edited:
I'm looking for a small bag which I can grab quickly with just the M5 22mm combo more for protection really, any suggestion?

How about one of these...

P1100735.jpg

P1100737.jpg

I put one in the for sale section but got no interest.

:D

Any deals going, im getting near tempted to buy the M6
HDew are doing the M6 body in Black or Silver at £475 which is the cheapest I have seen.

Whilst a 'grey' seller they provide a very good back up.

Steve

I bought my M6 with 15-45 kit lens from eglobalcentral for £489 and promptly sold the lens for £89, so the body owes me £400. Also bought an EVF-DC1 from them for £130 and white box EF-M 55-200mm for £134. All arrived ok, no problems.

Can't vouch for their after sales service as I haven't had to make use of it and hopefully won't have to either.

Last edited:
I bought my M6 with 15-45 kit lens from eglobalcentral for £489 and promptly sold the lens for £89, so the body owes me £400. Also bought an EVF-DC1 from them for £130 and white box EF-M 55-200mm for £134. All arrived ok, no problems.

Can't vouch for their after sales service as I haven't had to make use of it and hopefully won't have to either.
I got a silver 55-200 off eBay from a Dublin based seller (problem a Far East drop shipper) for £147. Rapid delivery in 3 days. Looks good on my M6 but is on the M5 currently. Got given the silver 22mm which lives on the M6 and does look pretty! [emoji6]

Mulling over the EVF.

Steve

Nearly bought a M3 and 15-45mm yesterday as I still have my M lenses but stopped myself at the last moment as I would just end up selling it due to no evf. Need to start looking for another M5 I think.
The EVF-1 fits the M3 (and the M6) but Canon have also released the EVF-2 which has been 'styled' with s more retro look. It comes in a silver finish too....... No I am not tempted because the M6 is really just to look at! The M5 does it all.... as you well know [emoji2]

As there are no major differences between the M5 and M6 apart from the viewfinder personally I liked the idea that the viewfinder is optional to use with the M6 and went for the EVF-DC1 rather than the new 2 as you can tilt it 90 degrees which is another useful feature.

Last edited:
As there are no major differences between the M5 and M6 apart from the viewfinder personally I liked the idea that the viewfinder is optional to use with the M6 and went for the EVF-DC1 rather than the new 2 as you can tilt it 90 degrees which is another useful feature.
For me the M5 is just more usable and the EVF does work well.

I don't think I will get the EVF for the M6. I have left the silver 22mm on it and it is not with me on my trip. A good ol' black 22mm is though!

If anybodies interested, Curry's have reduced the 22mm to £159, lowest it's been for quite some time.

If anybodies interested, Curry's have reduced the 22mm to £159, lowest it's been for quite some time.
John Lewis and Amazon are price matching at £159.

JL also add in their 2 year warranty.

Ha e to say, I wasn’t in Currys earlier and had a go of the M6.. it’s a nice device! Liking the similarities to my G3X as well!

Been reading a couple of reviews and looks like now the M6 and upwards will be good at AF on traditional EF lens? This could be a key plus for me over the other models.. anyone have any real life experience with the Tamron 17-50 2.8?

Last edited:
Ha e to say, I wasn’t in Currys earlier and had a go of the M6.. it’s a nice device! Liking the similarities to my G3X as well!

Been reading a couple of reviews and looks like now the M6 and upwards will be good at AF on traditional EF lens? This could be a key plus for me over the other models.. anyone have any real life experience with the Tamron 17-50 2.8?
Hi

Not tried my M6 with the Tamron but I have used it with the EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 and 15-85 f/3.5 and whilst a bit unwieldy, AF was quick. Same with my EF 70-200 f/f4 IS.

I doubt if the M6 will get many outings with the bigger lenses ahead of my M5 which is more balanced. It tends to live with the 22mm f/2 pancake fitted as it goes easily into my jacket pocket.

It is a nice piece of kit though it stayed at home when I took the M5 on my recent USA trip.

I doubt if the M6 will get many outings with the bigger lenses ahead of my M5 which is more balanced. It tends to live with the 22mm f/2 pancake fitted as it goes easily into my jacket pocket.

Curious Steve, do you think that would still be the case if you had the EVF on the M6?
I presume when you have a larger lens on the M5 you use it more like an SLR, holding it up to the eye and using the EVF, which does give a completely different balance. Whereas when using the M6 you use the LCD so are holding it in a different way, which changes the balance.
Sorry not meaning to put you on the spot, just interested in your thoughts as I think you are the only one on here that has both.

Curious Steve, do you think that would still be the case if you had the EVF on the M6?
I presume when you have a larger lens on the M5 you use it more like an SLR, holding it up to the eye and using the EVF, which does give a completely different balance. Whereas when using the M6 you use the LCD so are holding it in a different way, which changes the balance.
Sorry not meaning to put you on the spot, just interested in your thoughts as I think you are the only one on here that has both.
Steve

Way back in the thread I mentioned that I was going for the M5 having got my hands on one to try just before it's release. The M5 was always going to be make or break for me as the handling of the original M was not great for me (big hands) but balanced with a Arca L plate with grip. I just loved it's handling and quiryness.

My hope was that the M3 would be better. In the event, for me, it was not a leap forward, even with it's better 'handling' and it being compatible with the EVF-1. I borrowed one with the EVF but did not take to it.

The dearth of M Prime lenses annoyed me and I found myself trying the Fuji kit.

The M5 was the cement that kept me on the M trail. I had a stroke in December 2016 and a lightweight CSC kit suddenly became a must as my left arm and leg has been weakened.

My trust in Canon, even with menu changes, won through and I grew the M kit lens wise,

I got to try an M6 while I was in Ireland an loved it straight off. At the time of ordering I did mention that I was unlikely to use it but more likely to just display it and worship it!

Yes the M5 handles as a mini DSLR and it handles well. In other words, post stroke, it does cover 90% of my needs. It is balanced even with s Significant 150-600 C, but frankly I will not go heavier than a 70-200L f4 with a 1.4x on odd occasions.

So in terms of the M6, it is a very nice piece of kit and in silver finish with the silver M22 f/2 pancake lens, almost a fashion accessory! In reality, I have the M6/22 combination with me 95% of the time, I am content not to have an EVF and and it's weight does not tire me. I am lucky to have both models and I accept many cannot have that choice.

On my experience to date and, if I had to make a choice of just 1, it would be the M5 as it is comfortable with any lens fitted. The M6 would be fine if UWA to short telephoto is a best fit.

Sorry to prattle on but the M5/M6 dichotomy may only be resolved if a future M7 was 'modular' like the Pentax LX 35mm film camera was, a design that has a changeable pentaprism, backs, power winders and focus screens.

To put an M5 context on this, there has been people asking for a battery grip...... My answer? Buy an 80D, the M5 is fine and, for me, the M6 is beautiful, even as an ornament.

Steve

Steve

Way back in the thread I mentioned that I was going for the M5 having got my hands on one to try just before it's release. The M5 was always going to be make or break for me as the handling of the original M was not great for me (big hands) but balanced with a Arca L plate with grip. I just loved it's handling and quiryness.

My hope was that the M3 would be better. In the event, for me, it was not a leap forward, even with it's better 'handling' and it being compatible with the EVF-1. I borrowed one with the EVF but did not take to it.

The dearth of M Prime lenses annoyed me and I found myself trying the Fuji kit.

The M5 was the cement that kept me on the M trail. I had a stroke in December 2016 and a lightweight CSC kit suddenly became a must as my left arm and leg has been weakened.

My trust in Canon, even with menu changes, won through and I grew the M kit lens wise,

I got to try an M6 while I was in Ireland an loved it straight off. At the time of ordering I did mention that I was unlikely to use it but more likely to just display it and worship it!

Yes the M5 handles as a mini DSLR and it handles well. In other words, post stroke, it does cover 90% of my needs. It is balanced even with s Significant 150-600 C, but frankly I will not go heavier than a 70-200L f4 with a 1.4x on odd occasions.

So in terms of the M6, it is a very nice piece of kit and in silver finish with the silver M22 f/2 pancake lens, almost a fashion accessory! In reality, I have the M6/22 combination with me 95% of the time, I am content not to have an EVF and and it's weight does not tire me. I am lucky to have both models and I accept many cannot have that choice.

On my experience to date and, if I had to make a choice of just 1, it would be the M5 as it is comfortable with any lens fitted. The M6 would be fine if UWA to short telephoto is a best fit.

Sorry to prattle on but the M5/M6 dichotomy may only be resolved if a future M7 was 'modular' like the Pentax LX 35mm film camera was, a design that has a changeable pentaprism, backs, power winders and focus screens.

To put an M5 context on this, there has been people asking for a battery grip...... My answer? Buy an 80D, the M5 is fine and, for me, the M6 is beautiful, even as an ornament.

Steve

Thanks very much for your thoughts, very thought provoking and comprehensive.
I'm really torn on which direction to go for, having a quick play with an M5 and Sigma 150-600mm a while ago, really put a spanner in the works, it just felt so natural and well balanced.
I very rarely use long or big lenses though and the rangefinder type suits my everyday shooting much better.
I'm still using an original M and that wont be going anywhere, with the 22mm on it, it's the most enjoyable camera I have used since an Olympus Trip back in the Last century :)
Think I'm leaning more toward the M6 or maybe even the new M100, very nearly walked out of John Lewis with an M10 the other day, but thought better to wait and see what it's replacement offered, so wont be making any move until the full specs and reviews for that start to appear.
We really have far too many options now for bodies, no I'm not complaining :)
In the meantime I'm happy to carry on with the original M and 22mm, though it is getting more difficult to change lenses, I'm sure its growing roots.:D
Thanks again for your thoughts.

To put an M5 context on this, there has been people asking for a battery grip...... My answer? Buy an 80D, the M5 is fine

I was one of those asking for a battery grip for the simple reason that when (on the odd occasion) I wanted to use a big lens it would be easier to handle.
Taking the battery grip off would make the body nice and compact again, you can't do that with a 80D. (flippy screen on the 80D is better though) ;)

Thanks very much for your thoughts, very thought provoking and comprehensive.
I'm really torn on which direction to go for, having a quick play with an M5 and Sigma 150-600mm a while ago, really put a spanner in the works, it just felt so natural and well balanced.
I very rarely use long or big lenses though and the rangefinder type suits my everyday shooting much better.
I'm still using an original M and that wont be going anywhere, with the 22mm on it, it's the most enjoyable camera I have used since an Olympus Trip back in the Last century :)
Think I'm leaning more toward the M6 or maybe even the new M100, very nearly walked out of John Lewis with an M10 the other day, but thought better to wait and see what it's replacement offered, so wont be making any move until the full specs and reviews for that start to appear.
We really have far too many options now for bodies, no I'm not complaining :)
In the meantime I'm happy to carry on with the original M and 22mm, though it is getting more difficult to change lenses, I'm sure its growing roots.:D
Thanks again for your thoughts.
I know what you mean about the M/22 combination and I would warn you off the M6/22 combination, it really sets a standard and impossible not to walk off with it!

The lack of M Prime lenses grates with me but there is a useful alterative in the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART DC. This is nice on both the M5/M6 bodies even with the adapter.

I was surprised at the balance of the M5/Sigma 150-600 combination but the weakness in the set is me!

Cannot get my head around the M100. An M10 plus a jacket with a massive price hike aimed at a younger audience?

Steve

I know what you mean about the M/22 combination and I would warn you off the M6/22 combination, it really sets a standard and impossible not to walk off with it!

The lack of M Prime lenses grates with me but there is a useful alterative in the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART DC. This is nice on both the M5/M6 bodies even with the adapter.

I was surprised at the balance of the M5/Sigma 150-600 combination but the weakness in the set is me!

Cannot get my head around the M100. An M10 plus a jacket with a massive price hike aimed at a younger audience?

Steve

Yeah I think I might have to bow to the inevitable and go for the M6 in the end and hope the next one isn't too much of an advance and want to upgrade again:)

As for the lack of more primes I have mixed feelings. Sometimes get frustrated at the lack of them, but then I think what do I actually need?
Fortunately for me, the 35mm(or equiv) has always been my favourite focal length, so that's already catered for with the 22mm.
I have an old Pentax mount Cosina 50mm f2 left from the film days which gets quite regular use, so if Canon brought out a EF-M lens in that sort of range, I probably wouldn't bother getting it.
At the wider end, Samyang have that covered already, though I suppose manual focus is not for everybody.
I am a little surprised they haven't come out with a revised version of the 40mm pancake with an M mount, but maybe it's not as easy as we might think.

Though I really liked the M5 and Sigma 150-600mm combo, I really cant justify it for the amount it would get used. If I did want to use larger lenses on a regular basis, there would be no contest, the M5 would be a clear winner.

LOL about the M100, the marketing is a bit targetted at those younger than us and the launch price does seem a bit high, but thats nothing new. I get the impression it is an updated M10 with much of the tech bits borrowed from the M5/6, but what they have ditched to keep the price lower remains to be seen. There might be a good camera under the fancy jacket ;)

I have now joined the M series family with an M3 and EF adapter; still need to get the hang of it but overall happy - the AF speed seems good to me! cracking little thing! Some of my shots from yesterday with it!C61CEBB4-A368-420F-9017-9AB5C32B7E38.jpeg my shots from yesterday with it!

Attachments

• 3BA36F3F-13EE-4BAD-9D45-B23DC60B84A9.jpeg
    3BA36F3F-13EE-4BAD-9D45-B23DC60B84A9.jpeg
    105.5 KB · Views: 28
  • 0AAE9992-7B9D-4005-8793-B854BAEFE4E3.jpeg
    0AAE9992-7B9D-4005-8793-B854BAEFE4E3.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 29
  • E0581137-B019-4821-9BF7-DBE282C34CF7.jpeg
    E0581137-B019-4821-9BF7-DBE282C34CF7.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 32
I have now joined the M series family with an M3 and EF adapter; still need to get the hang of it but overall happy - the AF speed seems good to me! cracking little thing! Some of my shots from yesterday with it!View attachment 112474 my shots from yesterday with it!

Welcome aboard, some good results from a first trip out with it. I'm guessing you were using a EF/EFS lens with it ?

I have a ThinkTank mirrorless mover 30i it just made for the job I have M5 three lens plus filters etc but if you only have one lens there are smaller ones

Last edited:
I have this - can fit the canon m5 with kit lens, 22mm lens, 55-200mm lens, ef-m adapator, canon 430 ex11 flash, and accessories:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...lr17-dslr-camera-case-black-10155020-pdt.html

They do a smaller mirrorless version:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...irrorless-camera-case-black-10155019-pdt.html

I expect if you just want to hold the camera and 22mm lens then this might actually be big enough:
http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/camera...17-bridge-camera-case-black-10155018-pdt.html

Yes I was using a 200mm lens and a 100-400!
Looking good On the shot front!

Resist trying the M5 with the 100-400; it is 'sweet' (as in the Clarksonesque). I stuck the cheap as chips EF-S 55-250 STM on the M5 this morning and the AF was very quivk and the IQ excellent too.

Yeah I think I might have to bow to the inevitable and go for the M6 in the end and hope the next one isn't too much of an advance and want to upgrade again:)

As for the lack of more primes I have mixed feelings. Sometimes get frustrated at the lack of them, but then I think what do I actually need?
Fortunately for me, the 35mm(or equiv) has always been my favourite focal length, so that's already catered for with the 22mm.
I have an old Pentax mount Cosina 50mm f2 left from the film days which gets quite regular use, so if Canon brought out a EF-M lens in that sort of range, I probably wouldn't bother getting it.
At the wider end, Samyang have that covered already, though I suppose manual focus is not for everybody.
I am a little surprised they haven't come out with a revised version of the 40mm pancake with an M mount, but maybe it's not as easy as we might think.

Though I really liked the M5 and Sigma 150-600mm combo, I really cant justify it for the amount it would get used. If I did want to use larger lenses on a regular basis, there would be no contest, the M5 would be a clear winner.

LOL about the M100, the marketing is a bit targetted at those younger than us and the launch price does seem a bit high, but thats nothing new. I get the impression it is an updated M10 with much of the tech bits borrowed from the M5/6, but what they have ditched to keep the price lower remains to be seen. There might be a good camera under the fancy jacket ;)
Have had loads of fun with manual menses on my M kit. I have a full range of Pentax M42 and K mount lenses from back in the early 80s (I still use my MX, ME Super and LX bodies but the last of my screw mount Spotmatics died years ago. I had tried a couple of M mount adapters but settled on the Fotha range which have proved very reliable,

Have had loads of fun with manual menses on my M kit. I have a full range of Pentax M42 and K mount lenses from back in the early 80s (I still use my MX, ME Super and LX bodies but the last of my screw mount Spotmatics died years ago. I had tried a couple of M mount adapters but settled on the Fotha range which have proved very reliable,

Sadly all my old Pentax gear went after a divorce, but managed to keep a Cosina CS1 and a few third party K mount lenses.
I use a slightly different approach with adapters, the lenses are fitted with cheap Ebay PK to EF adapters and then mount them on the Canon EF-M adapter, that way I can use them on my DSLR's aswell. Not that the DSLR's get much use these days. but I do like the old 300D for infrared as the blocking filter is not very efficient.
There is something very satisfying about manual lenses, not quite sure what it is, but certainly a different experience.

P.S. Hope you are not in Ireland in your camper at the moment with this storm. If so stay safe.
Wind is building here in Devon and the light has a very strange orange/brown shade to it, very strange.

Last edited:
Looking good On the shot front!

Resist trying the M5 with the 100-400; it is 'sweet' (as in the Clarksonesque). I stuck the cheap as chips EF-S 55-250 STM on the M5 this morning and the AF was very quivk and the IQ excellent too.
Yes I was thinking of saving for a 55-250 STM but after trying the 200mm 2.8 I was pleasantly surprised with the speed of the AF - allowed me to track the bluetiti and whatnot quite easily, so though I might save myself a 100 or so!

Yes I was thinking of saving for a 55-250 STM but after trying the 200mm 2.8 I was pleasantly surprised with the speed of the AF - allowed me to track the bluetiti and whatnot quite easily, so though I might save myself a 100 or so!
You got a bargain with the M3! I did try one but was in my phaseof hanging on for the next one (which was actually the M10) but the wain for the M5 was worth it.

If you have not tried the 15-45 it is quite a lightweight lens and you need to 'unlock' it. Not a bad lens but as you move towards the long (45mm);end the max aperture moves to f/6.3 so it can be quite dark.

If you get a chance to try the 55-250 STM give it a go. IQ is not up to your ZZ 200 but it suprisesbme. I mainly use the M 55-200 but sometimes the extra reach is useful.

S

Sadly all my old Pentax gear went after a divorce, but managed to keep a Cosina CS1 and a few third party K mount lenses.
I use a slightly different approach with adapters, the lenses are fitted with cheap Ebay PK to EF adapters and then mount them on the Canon EF-M adapter, that way I can use them on my DSLR's aswell. Not that the DSLR's get much use these days. but I do like the old 300D for infrared as the blocking filter is not very efficient.
There is something very satisfying about manual lenses, not quite sure what it is, but certainly a different experience.

P.S. Hope you are not in Ireland in your camper at the moment with this storm. If so stay safe.
Wind is building here in Devon and the light has a very strange orange/brown shade to it, very strange.
Not in Ireland, have been back a while and brought the motorhome back too. Certainly been lovely over there today, especially around the Fastener Rock and Cape Clear Islands in the deep South East. That can be lively even when the gales are not blowing.

My next trip is down to the Adriatic but I have done little more than dug out a couple of maps.

Divorce can be dire when it comes to hobbies. In overall effect I would have split my kit to tidy the mess of my first marriage. I am still doiñg film and did more than I thought I would on my trip.m (35mm & 120!). The ME and MG range are fairly cheap but VG & Excellent MX and LX bodies are reaching premium pricing. When I enter to DSLR it was for the EOS300D which I still have.

Good to hear you and the camper were not in the line of fire.

I often wonder about getting another ME, but not sure I would use it now, far too addicted to digital these days.;)
There is still something about the old 300D that means it will be around until it finally packs up. The image quality is not a patch on more modern sensors, but it does produce pleasing images. Most of all for me anyway, it fits my hand like a glove, it just feels so good to use, it still makes me smile when I pick it up, which I have to admit sounds pretty weird :)

Good to hear you and the camper were not in the line of fire.

I often wonder about getting another ME, but not sure I would use it now, far too addicted to digital these days.;)
There is still something about the old 300D that means it will be around until it finally packs up. The image quality is not a patch on more modern sensors, but it does produce pleasing images. Most of all for me anyway, it fits my hand like a glove, it just feels so good to use, it still makes me smile when I pick it up, which I have to admit sounds pretty weird :)
Think back to 2007

I got my 300D with the Mk 1 non-IS kit lens and 2 X 512Mb CF cards plus a cheap bad - £747!

A year on I got the Battery Grip from Warehouse Express on one of their specials. Loved it.

I like the discipline of film, 24/36 frames and £££ to process and print commercially means you think about every shot before releasing the shutter. I tried to shoot more with film in Ireland but then the M5 was in my hands......

ME Super bodies are cheap but the lenses are creeping up in price.

Think back to 2007

I got my 300D with the Mk 1 non-IS kit lens and 2 X 512Mb CF cards plus a cheap bad - £747!

A year on I got the Battery Grip from Warehouse Express on one of their specials. Loved it.

I like the discipline of film, 24/36 frames and £££ to process and print commercially means you think about every shot before releasing the shutter. I tried to shoot more with film in Ireland but then the M5 was in my hands......

LOL, the memories, things have certainly moved on, especially with digital.
Think I will leave film to others, not really got a wish to go back, at least at the moment, who knows in the future though?

I suspect the lenses creeping up in price is to do with Fuji/Sony/Olympus users now having access to adapters to fit old lenses to their new shiny mirrorless cameras.
Cant believe the prices that Helios M44's are changing hands for these days. Even thee charity shops are starting to realise that those old Zenith E's with kit lenses have more value than just a few years ago.
Unfortunately us Canon users no longer have the old lens market too ourselves:(

I suspect the lenses creeping up in price is to do with Fuji/Sony/Olympus users now having access to adapters to fit old lenses to their new shiny mirrorless cameras.
Cant believe the prices that Helios M44's are changing hands for these days. Even thee charity shops are starting to realise that those old Zenith E's with kit lenses have more value than just a few years ago.
Unfortunately us Canon users no longer have the old lens market too ourselves:(
Literally millions of Helios 44s out there, had mine way back with my Zenith B but, as you say, they seem to be creeping up in price after 'professional' tidying/servicing. Great fun all the same but day to day use, not really!

Onwards and out the door..... busy day with the camera today.

You got a bargain with the M3! I did try one but was in my phaseof hanging on for the next one (which was actually the M10) but the wain for the M5 was worth it.

If you have not tried the 15-45 it is quite a lightweight lens and you need to 'unlock' it. Not a bad lens but as you move towards the long (45mm);end the max aperture moves to f/6.3 so it can be quite dark.

If you get a chance to try the 55-250 STM give it a go. IQ is not up to your ZZ 200 but it suprisesbme. I mainly use the M 55-200 but sometimes the extra reach is useful.

S

Cheers! Do you think it worth investing in dedicated "M" lens? As I was thinking of the normal 55-250 STM so its backward compatible, if that makes sense?

Back