Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Original M came out to play tonight

moon 5image stack eos M colour by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

moon 5image stack eos M by Michael Johnson, on Flickr

Good definition and contrast there, but there is a bit of ghosting from the movement between exposures. It is surprising how fast we are moving when viewing the moon with such magnification. Might be worth trying less exposures to see if you can get comparable results or is there a minimum number with the software?

Awww Wowww very nice, done way better than my pics i kept getting streams of clouds passing over.

Thanks Jim

Like these, what lens did you use on the M

Thank you Tony, I used my sigma 150-600 via a meike adapter.

Good definition and contrast there, but there is a bit of ghosting from the movement between exposures. It is surprising how fast we are moving when viewing the moon with such magnification. Might be worth trying less exposures to see if you can get comparable results or is there a minimum number with the software?

Thanks Steve, I had the m set to self timer and take so many shots after the timer, in this case that was 5. I thought I could see a bit of ghosting, I have tried before with a remote release on my 7d2 and not managed as good a result as this. There is no limit on images for starstax, the only thing you can't do is allign images, for that registax is needed, but I always end up giving up with it as I can't work the software out.

Sorry if this has been done before, but anyone know how the 85mm f1.2ii performs adapted on the m5?

Cheers

M6 arrived / loving it! Quick Q - anyone experienced with in Servo Af - it doesn’t “release” a lot?

Sorry if this has been done before, but anyone know how the 85mm f1.2ii performs adapted on the m5?

Cheers

I would be interested in that too.

The 85mm f/1.8 is sweet as a nut, so hoping the f/1.2 will be. That said I am tempted by the Sigma 85mm f/1.4 ART...

Recently upgraded to the M6, anyone here have any issues with OS X 10.10 and EOS utilities, I can't connect to the camera using WiFi or with a USB cable but working fine via the Camera Connect app on a mobile phone

I was hoping to start looking at some night shots, possible have a play with star trails and going to need some type of interleaver (EOS Utilities maybe), on the Original EOS M I used the custom firmware from magic lantern which gave me the interleaver option.

Though the M6 has a interleaver on the video lapse option I can't seem to adjust the ISO, Aperture etc etc, all it has is 3 different scene types and a custom setting to change just the seconds and amount off shots

Bit of a mess around with the M5 this morning. Stuck the adapter on with the Sigma 150-600mm sport, very front heavy and a right pain to use handheld.

IMG_0069
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

IMG_0098 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

No surprise, it’s a bit of a beast.

I can’t use the 150-600 handheld since my stroke. Stuck a decent ball head on a beeft monopod - sorted!

Bit of a mess around with the M5 this morning. Stuck the adapter on with the Sigma 150-600mm sport, very front heavy and a right pain to use handheld.

IMG_0069
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

IMG_0098 by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Can imagine the Sport is a bit of a handful, have only had a very quick play with a Contemporary and that was not too bad, quite a bit lighter I guess.
Results look good though.

Can imagine the Sport is a bit of a handful, have only had a very quick play with a Contemporary and that was not too bad, quite a bit lighter I guess.
Results look good though.

They weren't too bad considering they were shot wide open with no support. Must admit though I haven't used the lens for quite a while, maybe I need to buld up those muscles again before the airshows start :)

I do find it a lot easier on my gripped 7D though.

Last edited:
They weren't too bad considering they were shot wide open with no support. Must admit though I haven't used the lens for quite a while, maybe I need to buld up those muscles again before the airshows start :)

I do find it a lot easier on my gripped 7D though.

LOL, lenses like this should come with free gym membership.
Must admit the only time I use a DSLR these days is with longer lenses at airshows and the like, for everything else, the mirrorless is the weapon of choice.

Dropped my 22mm this morning, fell about 4ft onto the carpet ... lens element totally out of kilter so decided to take it apart.

Not a good idea as it never ends well whenever I try things like that, screws and electronic bits all over the kitchen worktop and no idea how it goes back together so as usual it ended in a temper tantrum and the whole lot went in the bin :mad:

After 55 years you would have thought I would have learned by now !!

Last edited:
Dropped my 22mm this morning, fell about 4ft onto the carpet ... lens element totally out of kilter so decided to take it apart.

Not a good idea as it never ends well whenever I try things like that, screws and electronic bits all over the kitchen worktop and no idea how it goes back together so as usual it ended in a temper tantrum and the whole lot went in the bin :mad:

Thats bad news and I probably would have done the same, never ends well taking these things apart.
Lucky it wasn't the 150-600mm instead, the floor might have needed repair aswell.

Cripes - you really got the worst outcome there.

I think I would have had a total meltdown at the death of my favourite lens.

I've decided I'm going to order the M6 & eglobal are doing a good price but do i need the post insurance as it must be there responsibility until i sign for the goods..?

Couple with the M5 and EF70-300mm f/4-5.6L IS USM on the Canon adapter.[/QQOTE]

Very nice. I have used my 70-200 f/4L on the M5 but 13 months on from my stroke I am only just getting strong enough to hold the heavier lenses. Mainly using the M lenses but having a long term loan of a friend’s Sigma 150-600 I have been looking at the 70-30! I have a decent monopod but your shots do with a QR head to help shooting with heavier lenses but I try to use M lenses mainly.

Last edited:
I've decided I'm going to order the M6 & eglobal are doing a good price but do i need the post insurance as it must be there responsibility until i sign for the goods..?

Also not sure to order from Eglobal as I could also be hit by Customs..

HDEW Cameras are reasonable so does anyone one know if there's a better UK offer before I buy.

Also not sure to order from Eglobal as I could also be hit by Customs..

HDEW Cameras are reasonable so does anyone one know if there's a better UK offer before I buy.

....From my own direct experience I don't think you'll do better than buying from HDEW - Peace of mind is included! I have bought quite a lot of gear from them including my EOS M5 body (they didn't have the EF Adapter).

....From my own direct experience I don't think you'll do better than buying from HDEW - Peace of mind is included! I have bought quite a lot of gear from them including my EOS M5 body (they didn't have the EF Adapter).

Cheers, Ive now ordered M6 with 15/45 lens from HDEW which I also feel is the safer thing to do so should get it within next 5 days.

Been doing fair bit of reading and left me wondering-)
With the M6 which would be the better quality ie say with a bird flying, taking stills from a recorded video or continuous shooting...?

Last edited:
There are a lot of people that think any type of processing is cheating, personally I don't but have to admit (unless it's for personal use and is never shown as a still) that this new fad of ripping from video (especially 4k) is nothing to do with photography at all..

Anyway, as to your question I would guess continuous shooting would give the best quality, if you can get the camera to keep up.

Surely best quality video has a shutter speed too low for a sharp still?

Interesting thought Phil - logically correct but, on my part, I think back to the film The Quiet Man when Barry Fitzgerald is offered water to add to his Whiskey he responds ”When I I drink Whiskey I drink Whiskey, when I drink water I drink water...”

So to paraphrase - “When I shoot stills I shoot stills, when I shoot video I shoot video”
That said, my partner brought a 4K Sony Handycam with her!

The joy of photography is in the challenge of pushing boundaries with the search for something different! So might try the slow shutter idea - you know it has gone wrong when the memory buffer and/or memory card write speed kicks in! [emoji846]

Would be interesting thought & I think I will try taking a still from a video just to see if there is a quality differents as the video quality is reportedly image quality.

I don't shoot video but from what I have read, you would only extract high quality stills from camera bodies like the Canon 1DX-2 rather than an EOS M-series. But I stand to be corrected.

I think it will come but not quite yet.

I don't shoot video but from what I have read, you would only extract high quality stills from camera bodies like the Canon 1DX-2 rather than an EOS M-series. But I stand to be corrected.

I think it will come but not quite yet.
you will get 1920 x 1080 still to get any higher you need 4k video

you will get 1920 x 1080 still to get any higher you need 4k video

1920x1080 still image wonder how it would compare to image taken @ 16.9

Think you nailed the main problem Phil, at 60 frames per second, that would give a 1/60th second exposure which wouldn't be fast enough to freeze movement.
An article I read, cameras with lens & camera stabilization makes its more possible than ever, which is why I asked the question as with the M6 capabilities made me wonder how good a still image, I understand bird in fight would be noticeable in terms of 1/60th second compared to 4k camera.

Last edited:
An article I read, cameras with lens & camera stabilization makes its more possible than ever, which is why I asked the question as with the M6 capabilities made me wonder how good a still image, I understand bird in fight would be noticeable in terms of 1/60th second compared to 4k camera.

Probably worth a try to see how it works, but it's early days with this technology yet and the quality from 4K is still a long way behind a single image.

Think you nailed the main problem Phil, at 60 frames per second, that would give a 1/60th second exposure which wouldn't be fast enough to freeze movement.
Depends on the focal length of the lens I guess if it was say 35mm much better then say 200mm

Depends on the focal length of the lens I guess if it was say 35mm much better then say 200mm

Thats a good point Chaz, a shorter focal length would show less movement, but the original question was about a bird in flight. Not everywhere has fearless seagulls that will come in to steal your pasty as you sit on the seafront like around here ;)

Back