Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Don’t need to be cutting edge :)
I’m happy to use 6d 35art 50stm and 135L on jobs
All I want is a ‘reasonable’ 30 or 35 (f2 would do) and 56 or 85.
I don’t need exceptional and tiny just decent and small.

Would not dispute your sentiment but Canon have the EF-M 18-150 and, outside of the bundle option it has just dropped below the £400 park. Reviewers rate it’s sharpness, which is very good, but the CA issues on 3 drove me mad.

If they were to do a 35mm as well lut together as the 22mm for around the £300 mark I would grab it. Cutting edge means glass quality and build, I would sacrifice AF and IS for the WOW.

Have you had a serious go with the M5/22mm combination yet?

S

Digic 8 and 4K video ... how is it not a camera above the M5?

Agree

Price point may give a clue. The 4K ‘might’ tempt some but I am happy with my M5/M6 pair. That said my partner may be tempted, she is big into video blogging etc.

No, I’ve been at work. :(
Will have a go at the weekend, and next weekend we have a large family birthday

Have fun. I am taking my M5 to Rhode Island next week for SWMBO’s family anniversary gathering, taking 2 x YN600EX-RT lights and E3-RT unit so will be doing some family group stuff with the M5 for the first time with that set up.

Agree

Price point may give a clue. The 4K ‘might’ tempt some but I am happy with my M5/M6 pair. That said my partner may be tempted, she is big into video blogging etc.

It says M6 prices which means you are getting a better spec camera (4k, faster processor, smaller RAW files at same quality) than the M5 for around £200 less. I don't see how anyone can then say it's not going to totally kill off the M5 as only a fool would buy one once the M50 is released.

Unless I missing something on the M5 they have omitted from the 50?

I may as well sell my M5 to MPB right now and buy a new M50 in a few weeks time :facepalm:

Last edited:

I may as well sell my M5 to MPB right now and buy a new M50 in a few weeks time :facepalm:

It’s a bargain at that price (though I’m thinking future grey prices, MPB would pay more for my M5 than it cost me).

Personally I’m a big fan of an interface, and IMHO what’s missing is a couple of wheels.

4K video is a ‘nice to have’ but I can’t cope without a tactile user interface.

It says M6 prices which means you are getting a better spec camera (4k, faster processor, smaller RAW files at same quality) than the M5 for around £200 less. I don't see how anyone can then say it's not going to totally kill off the M5 as only a fool would buy one once the M50 is released.

Sold mine to mpb last week for £455

Another query ,I have the sigma 150 o.s macro and I,m thinking about getting a m3 to use with it rather than having to swop lenses around ,.anyone used a combo like that for macro and does it works o.k

....That is the only reason I bought a M5 body (plus EF Adapter) - My M5 lives on my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro. I have tried it on other lenses but prefer the bigger 7D2 and 5D4 bodies on telephoto lenses.

Image quality of the M5 absolutely matches the 7D2. Surely you would be better off with a M5 rather than a M3 for this, Jeff?

M5_7D2_0536.jpg

Last edited:

Until actual prices are released and a full spec comparison can be made, it’s all a bit pie in the sky.

It is good that Canon are supporting and developing the M body range and you know what needs to follow.......

So the M6 body is 549, the m50 at that price would be amazing although hard to believe..I look forward to this being released! Lets hope they at least give a lens road map at the same time..

A better and faster ‘kit’ lens would help. The original M had 3 kits

1. 18-55
2. 22
3. Both 1 & 2 lenses (Far East market).

It would not harm Canon to do a bonus kit with the 22mm as a draw.

A better and faster ‘kit’ lens would help. The original M had 3 kits

1. 18-55
2. 22
3. Both 1 & 2 lenses (Far East market).

It would not harm Canon to do a bonus kit with the 22mm as a draw.

I agree, the 15-45 is pointless in my opinion, f6.3 is far to slow. I'm sure if fuji can pull of their 18-55 f2.8-4, canon can do the same or something similar. I would like to see it start at 15mm though, just to get that little bit wider on the 1.6x crop, so a 15-60 f2.8-4 would be nice if it is a feasible design

I agree, the 15-45 is pointless in my opinion, f6.3 is far to slow. I'm sure if fuji can pull of their 18-55 f2.8-4, canon can do the same or something similar. I would like to see it start at 15mm though, just to get that little bit wider on the 1.6x crop, so a 15-60 f2.8-4 would be nice if it is a feasible design

I have the 15-45 and regard it ase basic as the EF-S 18-55 DC III, a box filler of a lens.

Agree that a 15mm start for a zoom is fine but a bundled 22mm could be a better kit lens bundle.

Last edited:
Certainly some interesting specs starting to surface for the M50, quite a few new goodies which makes a good change from Canons normal incremental updates. Will be interesting to see the reviews when they start to appear.

Certainly some interesting specs starting to surface for the M50, quite a few new goodies which makes a good change from Canons normal incremental updates. Will be interesting to see the reviews when they start to appear.
Yes, and what i like about the rumours so far is that its not a top end camera, so the price should be reasonable in relation to what's already out there. If its close to £1000 then im out, but £500-600 (grey market) i can manage once i sell the 80D.

Feature wise it sounds a decent upgrade over the M5 but control wise it is lacking a couple of things that I really like.

I imagine a M5 MKII will be forthcoming soon but not sure whether to take a punt and accept the offer from MPB or carry on with the M5 ... the faster AF tracking would be quite useful though

Feature wise it sounds a decent upgrade over the M5 but control wise it is lacking a couple of things that I really like.

I imagine a M5 MKII will be forthcoming soon but not sure whether to take a punt and accept the offer from MPB or carry on with the M5 ... the faster AF tracking would be quite useful though
It can get to be like a drug. A constant push for better X, faster Y, 12 billion pixels - I have been down the that path too often myself.

To 'punish' myself, I am off to the Gower on Saturday with just my Pentax MX and a Pentax 28mm M lens with 1 roll of film (Agfa Vista) plum an old Hanimex light meter!

Then it's back to my M5 the next day for my forthcoming trip back to New England.

M50 - No Mr Canon, NO! New lenses........ Hmmm M14mm

Anyone used filters on the 11-22?

And how is the 28mm macro?

I have commented on these lenses recently in the threads.

The 11-22 is one of the best EOS-M lenses

Yes I have used mine with a polarising glass filter

The 28mm is fine as a macro if all you want is a very shallow d.o.f for macro

It is too slow as a walk around so I use a Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART but that requires the adapter

Last edited:

Kai's look at the new M50

Last edited:
Well this ticks all the boxes, so short of reading too many bad reviews I’m in. Looking at the list of features its hard to think this is an entry level a camera. I know its missing one or two physical dials, but I can live with that.

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EOS-M50.aspx

For VBlogging and general use it is going to be a winner IMHO.

I have the M5/M6 but for the next stage of my Ireland project I was mulling over a C200 for video work which I have been using an EOS750D for. Might move the DSLR on and get the M50 and a bag of batteries [emoji52]

Def not the white body though..... SWMBO may think otherwise....

For VBlogging and general use it is going to be a winner IMHO.

I have the M5/M6 but for the next stage of my Ireland project I was mulling over a C200 for video work which I have been using an EOS750D for. Might move the DSLR on and get the M50 and a bag of batteries [emoji52]

Def not the white body though..... SWMBO may think otherwise....

The white looks terrible!

£539 and a bit of part ex could make it manageble for me. The battery, is it the same as the m5 now? Would need extra batteries though I think.

£539 and a bit of part ex could make it manageble for me. The battery, is it the same as the m5 now? Would need extra batteries though I think.

Looks like Canon are using the LP-E12 battery as used on the original M/M2 - Toytown battery but I have a bag of them.

First retro score from me

Yeah, the white looks liek its been painted. I expect ti will sell well in the far east though.
Ill be getting rid of my 80D asap, although i dont need the M50 for a few months.

Only slightly negative for me (so far) is the screen. I quite liked the idea of a tilting screen, rather than one that flips out. keeps the overall size down when shooting. Still, its better than nothing and wont put me off.

Yeah, the white looks liek its been painted. I expect ti will sell well in the far east though.
Ill be getting rid of my 80D asap, although i dont need the M50 for a few months.

Only slightly negative for me (so far) is the screen. I quite liked the idea of a tilting screen, rather than one that flips out. keeps the overall size down when shooting. Still, its better than nothing and wont put me off.

The battery life might

The LP-E12 is poor on the EOS M/M2

Yeah, and if buying grey even cheaper :)

I wonder if it will be possible to transfer raw files over WiFi. If so maybe Canon will update the app so all their WiFi cameras can do it.

If the Grey suppliers get the twin lens kits it may make the 22mm pancake lens a good bit cheaper. Failing that they could split the set to sell the lenses individually.

The battery life might

The LP-E12 is poor on the EOS M/M2

It was on my Sony a6000 as well. A bit off putting but i guess ill just get a bag of batteries. Id only really use it for holidays and for carrying around when i dont expect to use a camera. Like this time of the year. I still drag my 5D4 to and from work, but haven't actually used it for weeks (during the week).

Apparently a new type battery as well ,one of the retailers is showing a Pentax battery ? . It certainly looks the camera to aim for though and very high on my revised wish list .once it hits the grey market the price should make it very desirable .one of the features that I hope works properly is the eye focus .its not as suggested a eye tracking mode by the user but rather a subject eyes focus which apparently works even with animals they didn’t mention birds but if it does wowza . I hope that will work with the adaptor and ef lenses as well though .time will tell but definitely exciting

P.s I rather like the white ,each to there own

Last edited:
Apparently a new type battery as well ,one of the retailers is showing a Pentax battery ? . It certainly looks the camera to aim for though and very high on my revised wish list .once it hits the grey market the price should make it very desirable .one of the features that I hope works properly is the eye focus .its not as suggested a eye tracking mode by the user but rather a subject eyes focus which apparently works even with animals they didn’t mention birds but if it does wowza . I hope that will work with the adaptor and ef lenses as well though .time will tell but definitely exciting

Park screwed up

It is apparently the LP-E12 from the M/M2

The twin lens kit may be interesting as it includes the 22mm pancake lens

Back