Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I was hooked on the M5 as soon as I got to hold it.... less than 10 minutes of 'real play'.

I thinm some will be very impressed despite reservations.

I bought the ex an M - when I left it was one of the few things I made sure I took with me. Left her the house, took the Canon!

I bought the ex an M - when I left it was one of the few things I made sure I took with me. Left her the house, took the Canon!

Did you also get to keep the memory" card.

What's the best way to do timelapse on the m3 please? :=
It's not easy. With no cable release port you have to trigger the shutter through IR. If you mobile has an IR blaster there is an app (DSLR Remote?) you can use.

here's an option if you have an iPhone:

I've never tried it. I revert to my original M with Magic Lantern for timelapse work.

It's a matter of priorities! I lost possession of a Praktika SLR as part of a divorce...... kept all my Pentax gear though!

It's a matter of priorities! I lost possession of a Praktika SLR as part of a divorce...... kept all my Pentax gear though!

LOL, I got it wrong, the Pentax gear and car went, but managed to keep the house and a few Cosina bits which kept me going until digital came along.

£100 bonus trade in on the m5 at wex

Aww thats a good start but not sure my M can only be worth a oner trade in, I'll take a look on there web site tonight.

Blimey.... he likes it..... Very tempted :)

Blimey.... he likes it..... Very tempted :)

I was already sold on it before the video above.

I am going for the M5 as I continue my downsizing of my main DSLR kit and have been very happy with the M/M10 kit which I am using more and more. I did not take to the M3.

Apparently I can have a 30 minute borrow of an M5 Thursday evening in Winchester....

IF it happens, I will try my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART and the sublime M 22mm f/2 in an evening street setting on it.

Fingers crossed!

Is £75 a good price on a ef-m 22m delivered?

Thanks for time laps post with app going to check it out!

Is £75 a good price on a ef-m 22m delivered?

Thanks for time laps post with app going to check it out!
Most definitely as long as it is clean and has unmarked glass.

They are more than twice that price at full retail.

A lot that are sold 'new' have come from kits sold in the far east and come as white box items from split kits.

I got one of these and am still using it a a couple of years on.

It is one of my favourite lenses. I now have 2 aa I got a kit for my sister from Amazon last Christmas which had the 22mm instead of the kit zoom. My sister wanted a zoom so I got one and we swapped. I actually use both at times with an M and M10 on a dual mount bar on a tripod, one shooting colour and one set to monochrome!

So yes - to reiterate, the price is very good and it is a surprisingly sharp but tiny lens!

Steve

Last edited:
Do you use UV filters on any of these lenses to protect them or is it pointless?
Mostly not but, at times, I have used CPL/ND filters for certain shots. I do have protective filters just for storage or when swapping lenses 'in the field' as I can be clumsy!

Steve

Do you use UV filters on any of these lenses to protect them or is it pointless?

Bit of a marmite question, No UV filters for me, the only lens I have ever scratched was from a broken UV filter, besides which they cause flair and internal reflections.

Most definitely as long as it is clean and has unmarked glass.

They are more than twice that price at full retail.

A lot that are sold 'new' have come from kits sold in the far east and come as white box items from split kits.

I got one of these and am still using it a a couple of years on.

It is one of my favourite lenses. I now have 2 aa I got a kit for my sister from Amazon last Christmas which had the 22mm instead of the kit zoom. My sister wanted a zoom so I got one and we swapped. I actually use both at times with an M and M10 on a dual mount bar on a tripod, one shooting colour and one set to monochrome!

So yes - to reiterate, the price is very good and it is a surprisingly sharp but tiny lens!

Steve

Apparently they would not describe the glass as 100% scratch free but has "minimal signs of use". Not sure what to do now

Thank you for all your help

Apparently they would not describe the glass as 100% scratch free but has "minimal signs of use". Not sure what to do now

Thank you for all your help

Think I would probably take a chance on it, the front element of the 22mm is really small and quite well protected. You would need to be really clumsy to scratch it.

Think I would probably take a chance on it, the front element of the 22mm is really small and quite well protected. You would need to be really clumsy to scratch it.
I would not disagree but there may be 'new' models available at sub £100. Is an unused model worth an extra £10-15?

As Steve B observes, the front element is ver small and does not sit proud of the lens front casing.

Steve

I would not disagree but there may be 'new' models available at sub £100. Is an unused model worth an extra £10-15?

Unfortunately I think those days are gone, have been watching for a friend over the last few months and typically white box ones from China/Japan are around the £120 mark. Not seen anything under £100 for new, only secondhand.

Unfortunately I think those days are gone, have been watching for a friend over the last few months and typically white box ones from China/Japan are around the £120 mark. Not seen anything under £100 for new, only secondhand.
There was one for £99 earlier. The UK retail is around the £179 mark and, frankly, if I broke one, I wooul pay that!

I got a 15-45 zoom with the M10 and set it at 22mm side by side with the 22mm pancake and yes, the 15-45 is a nice lens but, at the same aperture, shutter speed etc, the Pancake is sharper with a better colour rendition.

I am going for the M5 as I continue my downsizing of my main DSLR kit and have been very happy with the M/M10 kit which I am using more and more. I did not take to the M3.

Apparently I can have a 30 minute borrow of an M5 Thursday evening in Winchester....

IF it happens, I will try my Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART and the sublime M 22mm f/2 in an evening street setting on it.

Fingers crossed!

I went the other way and got a bigger camera, however I do want a small walk about to supplement my "proper" camera :)

I went the other way and got a bigger camera, however I do want a small walk about to supplement my "proper" camera :)
I have been reducing my kit but still have a 5D2/50D and 750D. The smaller original M is essentially a 650D without the mirror box and the M5 an 80D without a mirror box.

I thought the M was a bargain when Argos was flogging them off at £199 but my M and M10 are pretty much first choice these days. I have already had a small go with the M5 and it feels great.

My DSLR kit is not getting used very much use, as, following a stroke in Jan 2015, my right hand is not great so grip and weight can be difficult sometimes. Weight is now a bigger issue.

If the M5 wins me over fully, then both the 5D2 and 50D will go. (The 750D will be kept for video though the M10 is quite capable too).

I started with the M as a walkabout but it slso takes EF and EF-S glass so it is capable of morphing to cover most needs. (Except the obvious like Motor racing, BIF etc, fine for cricket though [emoji56] .

The downside for me was the loss in tje M10 and M3 of the 'hotshoe'. I don't like the M10 pop up flash. At least eith the M I could use the YN622C TX controller with 622C units.to fire my speedlights.

Still thinking about that one !

The smaller kit bag, for me, is a big bonus.

Give the M a test drive. The proof of the pudding etc!

I have been reducing my kit but still have a 5D2/50D and 750D. The smaller original M is essentially a 650D without the mirror box and the M5 an 80D without a mirror box.

I thought the M was a bargain when Argos was flogging them off at £199 but my M and M10 are pretty much first choice these days. I have already had a small go with the M5 and it feels great.

My DSLR kit is not getting used very much use, as, following a stroke in Jan 2015, my right hand is not great so grip and weight can be difficult sometimes. Weight is now a bigger issue.

If the M5 wins me over fully, then both the 5D2 and 50D will go. (The 750D will be kept for video though the M10 is quite capable too).

I started with the M as a walkabout but it slso takes EF and EF-S glass so it is capable of morphing to cover most needs. (Except the obvious like Motor racing, BIF etc, fine for cricket though [emoji56] .

The downside for me was the loss in tje M10 and M3 of the 'hotshoe'. I don't like the M10 pop up flash. At least eith the M I could use the YN622C TX controller with 622C units.to fire my speedlights.

The m3 has a hotshoe! Lack of hotshoe is the only thing that has stopped me getting an m10. I'm still hoping for an m3 mkii with the 80d sensor or an m20 with a hotshoe and the 80d sensor. Canon very quiet as usual!

The m3 has a hotshoe! Lack of hotshoe is the only thing that has stopped me getting an m10. I'm still hoping for an m3 mkii with the 80d sensor or an m20 with a hotshoe and the 80d sensor. Canon very quiet as usual!
I tried the M3 and essentially, with all it's bells and whistles, I was expecting something more.

In my evaluation, not that much more than the M.

I was very close to going away from Canon totally and had drafted a fire sale list of my gear and moving to Fuji when the raw specs of the M5 arrived.

It has, in essence, the 80D sensor and having handled it.... it fits what I need. That said, I do aprreciate where you are coming from.

I tiink a Pentax LX modular approach by Canon may have been a way to go. Shape the body as you need it with a swappable Waiste Level EVF and a Penta Eye Leve EVF , add on sealed bottom or external additional battery pack. A one model multi profileapproach. Retro decor panels too? The sky's the limit. Crop sensor or not, the 80D sensor is a high quality piece of tech and many on here are comparing it with the 5D3 for capability.

My post may be a tad tongue in cheek in parts but all product development seeks that something extra to make the offering stand out. The USP in short.

Steve

where should i look out for these white box lenses?

They are pretty rare now, they came mostly from split up kits of the original M, which have probably all gone.
Worth keeping an eye on Ebay, bur wouldn't hold out a lot of hope of finding new ones at the price they were 12-18 months ago.

I have a 1DXII a 5d3 a 7d2 and an EOS M3....

The part I miss the most is an EVF for the M3, I stupidly bought the one without it in the box and it is stupidly expensive on its own.

It does live in my briefcase to be taken everywhere with the 22mm on it.

The M5 af and evf are the attractions for me tbh..

Fingers crossed!

Long story short... Meet up was cancelled..... Still I needed to be in and around Southampton in any case and heard before setting off.

Steve

Just ordered an M10 to replace the wife's original M. She doesn't use it much, so thought I'd treat myself...correction...treat her to an upgrade. Looking forward to trying the 15-45 lens.

Just ordered an M10 to replace the wife's original M. She doesn't use it much, so thought I'd treat myself...correction...treat her to an upgrade. Looking forward to trying the 15-45 lens.

Wonder if there is a replacement for the M10 in the pipeline now that they have dropped right down in price???

Wonder if there is a replacement for the M10 in the pipeline now that they have dropped right down in price???

Ive been wanting to test out the lens on my M3 but no one near me stocks it & not seen any reviews so be interested with you opion of the lens.

Back