Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Just ordered a 22mm and 11-22mm from MPB for £218, has only just received new copies of each from Amazon that will shortly be on their way back. And to think I was a bit annoyed that hdew reduced their M5 price just after I bought one too, this more than makes up for that

Did anyone get a hotshoe cover on their M5? Mine doesn’t have one but every photo I’ve seen shows it with one. Also mine came with a 100+ image count ...

Just ordered a 22mm and 11-22mm from MPB for £218, has only just received new copies of each from Amazon that will shortly be on their way back. And to think I was a bit annoyed that hdew reduced their M5 price just after I bought one too, this more than makes up for that
I’ve been watching mob for EF-m lenses and never managed to see any. :(

That’s a great price I ordered the same from mbp 2 weeks ag and paid around £260

Thanks folks, I was sure it should have had a cover so I’ll see what they say. I wouldn’t have checked the image count if it wasn’t for that getting my suspicions up.

Just a quick one, which is the third party EF to EFM adapter that is recommended? Could do with another for another lens, but would rather not splash out on an actual canon one.. few on Ebay for about £20 - are these sufficient?

cheers in advance!

Just a quick one, which is the third party EF to EFM adapter that is recommended? Could do with another for another lens, but would rather not splash out on an actual canon one.. few on Ebay for about £20 - are these sufficient?

cheers in advance!
I've ordered the meike one from amazon takes a few weeks from China but had good reports.

I've ordered the meike one from amazon takes a few weeks from China but had good reports.

It is a well made piece of kit! Mine never let me down and went with an original M body when I sold it on. It is still in use and working file as the buyer only has EF/EF-S lenses.

Just ordered an M5 + 15-45mm kit lens from HDEW yesterday and a Mieke adapter from Amazon. Going from a 60D I'm excited to get my hands on the M5. Apart from battery life it looks like I will be receiving an upgrade in almost every aspect. I know I have access to a top LCD screen currently, but to be honest, being able to access through the Q button (with touch screen) seems to be just as quick and more straight forward as I don't have to lower the camera while composing a shot.

I am mid-way through trading in the 15-45 kit with the 18-150mm superzoom on MPB.
Mixed reviews, apparently the worst EF-M lens but I'm just hoping it means I can have 2 x lenses (have the 22mm too) and that's it.
Any CA can prob be fixed in DXO / LR.

Maybe once kid stays still more will go for the Rokinon 50mm.

Any of you M users have an EF to EFM adapter they don't need? And would consider selling before i buy one online.

Thanks

I'll take it for £50 then ;)

So as we don't break any rules i think you may have to actually make a thread selling it.

Last edited:
Did anyone get a hotshoe cover on their M5? Mine doesn’t have one but every photo I’ve seen shows it with one.

....Mine came with one but I have taken it off and leave it at home as it kept coming off. It's not needed > Afterall, all the D-SLR hotshoes survive without a cover.

Prompted by this thread I have just tried fitting the cover on both my 5D Mark IV and 7D Mark II hotshoes and it's a much more secure fit.

Could use these too

BlueBeach[emoji768] 2PCS Camera Flashlight Hot Shoe cover with bubble Spirit Level for Canon Nikon Panasonic Fujifilm Olympus Pentax Sigma DSLR/SLR/EVIL Camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AA15Q4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.dxiAb9QR45ED

....At first I thought why buy one of those when excellent levellers are already onboard and can be displayed in the viewfinder or on Liveview. But then I thought that if needing to very quickly level a camera on a ballhead on a tripod, this would be easier to see than a bubble on an Arca-Swiss clamp (which my clamps have).

So thank you, Steve aka Huge Arse! I think I'll buy a couple. Do you have one fitted please and do they stay on securely?

Could use these too

BlueBeach[emoji768] 2PCS Camera Flashlight Hot Shoe cover with bubble Spirit Level for Canon Nikon Panasonic Fujifilm Olympus Pentax Sigma DSLR/SLR/EVIL Camera https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01AA15Q4S/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_.dxiAb9QR45ED

That reminds me of something I have been meaning to ask;)
Do the newer versions of the M have a built in level displayed on the LCD, have not seen it mentioned in any reviews or specs that I have noticed anyway ?

....At first I thought why buy one of those when excellent levellers are already onboard and can be displayed in the viewfinder or on Liveview. But then I thought that if needing to very quickly level a camera on a ballhead on a tripod, this would be easier to see than a bubble on an Arca-Swiss clamp (which my clamps have).

So thank you, Steve aka Huge Arse! I think I'll buy a couple. Do you have one fitted please and do they stay on securely?

I think you just answered my question Robin, glad to hear that a level is now on the LCD.

As regard the covers with the bubble level, I use one on my original M and they are a lot tighter fit than the normal slip in covers. In fact they can be a bit stiff to get off, but at least they dont get lost so easily:)

That reminds me of something I have been meaning to ask;)
Do the newer versions of the M have a built in level displayed on the LCD, have not seen it mentioned in any reviews or specs that I have noticed anyway ?

I have noI used it but yes the M5 has

Shooting Menu, Tab 1: Shooting information display: Screen info/toggle settings: Update #1 to select only Grid display and Electronic level (all options selected for #2), uncheck #3 and #4

Last edited:
I really like the M5 that with a 22mm is a really tempting prospect to someone just about to pull the trigger on a x100f.

I have not used it but yes

Shooting Menu, Tab 1: Shooting information display: Screen info/toggle settings: Update #1 to select only Grid display and Electronic level (all options selected for #2), uncheck #3 and #4 (I may alter these settings later)

Cheers Steve, thats good to know, I really miss having one on my M (original).

Well, the M5 I got from HDEW was returned, they are sending a properly new one next week when they have stock. The cheap M lenses I thought I got a bargain on from MPB we’re finally delivered today despite being ordered last week - the 22mm focus ring is dented and barely turns so that’s going back, the 11-22 looks ok but can’t be sure as I haven’t got a camera to test with anymore!

Just taken delivery of an M5 & 15-45mm lens yesterday. Have ordered an adapter for my ef/efs lenses which should arrive in next few weeks.

I will probably be on here quite often now looking advice, but since the sensor is the same as that in the 80D (is it Digic7 also?) i will keep an eye on those threads also for any tips.

I have spent a while indoors just getting to know my way around it and i'm impressed so far. I am coming from a 60D which i had set up nicely for what i needed so will try and set the M5 up something similar.

A couple of issues i have found so far that you may be able to help with, and these are probably common on the M5 and M6:

1. How do i remove the Q icon from the LCD? Its a nuisance and i don't use it anyway.
2. On my 60D i had the set button set to Flash Exposure Compensation. I can't see any way of short cutting this on the M5?
3. Can i set a short cut button for the focus assist light? I would like to be able to trigger this myself if needed.
4. Why is there an on/of flash option when you can just leave permanently on and it only activates when the flash is opened?

Thanks

Just taken delivery of an M5 & 15-45mm lens yesterday. Have ordered an adapter for my ef/efs lenses which should arrive in next few weeks.

I will probably be on here quite often now looking advice, but since the sensor is the same as that in the 80D (is it Digic7 also?) i will keep an eye on those threads also for any tips.

I have spent a while indoors just getting to know my way around it and i'm impressed so far. I am coming from a 60D which i had set up nicely for what i needed so will try and set the M5 up something similar.

A couple of issues i have found so far that you may be able to help with, and these are probably common on the M5 and M6:

1. How do i remove the Q icon from the LCD? Its a nuisance and i don't use it anyway.
2. On my 60D i had the set button set to Flash Exposure Compensation. I can't see any way of short cutting this on the M5?
3. Can i set a short cut button for the focus assist light? I would like to be able to trigger this myself if needed.
4. Why is there an on/of flash option when you can just leave permanently on and it only activates when the flash is opened?

Thanks

I don't have a M5/6 yet, but from what I have seen there are a couple of custom function buttons that can be used to allocate various functions too. That might achieve some of what you want to do.
Another useful feature is the "My Menu" section where you can store functions you use on a regular basis for quick access.
Not sure if there is a way to remove the Q icon from the screen, never found it a problem, in fact it's a very useful for quick access to the settings.

Sorry probably not a lot of help, maybe just a little though.

I think you remove the Q by de-allocating everything in the Q menu setup page and it then disappears

Back