Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Right, so I've tried jpw's suggestion and it worked a treat. I deactivated all the quick set menu items and the "Q" on the info screen has now disappeared and the "Q/set" button will also not activate the Quick Set menu, which suits me fine. To access these and more settings with 1 button I now use the info button. I have it set that the info button toggles between the shot settings and the preview and nothing else.

With regards to the Focus Assist beam and the Flash settings I have added these two items to "My Menu" (thanks Steve B) and set "My Menu" as the default when "Menu" is pressed. So I can access them quickly when needed.

I also found out that when the flash is open and I press the flash button I can then scroll (not sure which wheel) to adjust the Flash Exposure Compensation.

Right, so I've tried jpw's suggestion and it worked a treat. I deactivated all the quick set menu items and the "Q" on the info screen has now disappeared and the "Q/set" button will also not activate the Quick Set menu, which suits me fine. To access these and more settings with 1 button I now use the info button. I have it set that the info button toggles between the shot settings and the preview and nothing else.

With regards to the Focus Assist beam and the Flash settings I have added these two items to "My Menu" (thanks Steve B) and set "My Menu" as the default when "Menu" is pressed. So I can access them quickly when needed.

I also found out that when the flash is open and I press the flash button I can then scroll (not sure which wheel) to adjust the Flash Exposure Compensation.

Good to hear you got it sorted to suit your shooting style.
It's such a versatile system, even after 3+ years that I have been using the original EOS-M I'm still finding new things that it can do.

Good to hear you got it sorted to suit your shooting style.
It's such a versatile system, even after 3+ years that I have been using the original EOS-M I'm still finding new things that it can do.

Ive started to use my M to save keep changing lenses just on my M3 so got any tips as been long time since i done anything regerds setup as i defaulted the camera when i was going to sell it.

Ive started to use my M to save keep changing lenses just on my M3 so got any tips as been long time since i done anything regerds setup as i defaulted the camera when i was going to sell it.

Nothing comes immediately to mind Jim, in fact I cant remember what it was like as default:)
I guess the thing I disliked most when thinking back to how it was at default, was the touch shutter, but I'm sure others will like that feature.

We will both shoot in a different way I'm sure, so this probably wont help, but in "My Menu" I currently have the following stored for quick access
Focus Mode - So I can quickly change between AF and Manual Focus.
Expo Comp/AEB - I find it quicker to access from here for bracketing.
Custom White Balance - I use Filters quite a lot so switching between different presets stored on the memory card for things like Infrared Filters, Welding Glass &various 10 stop filters.
AF Operation - Probably just as quick to use the Q menu.
Beep - Saves having to dive into the menus if wanting to quickly turn off the beep.

I doubt much of that will help, but who knows, might trigger the memory to how you had it before;)

Great deal on the M6, but why would you choose the M6 over the M3?

ISO and FPS seem to be the only difference?

Great deal on the M6, but why would you choose the M6 over the M3?

ISO and FPS seem to be the only difference?

Biggest difference is the new dual pixel sensor which gives much better autofocus performance.

I'm wondering how M users set up their focus for moving objects (Birds in flight, sports/ action). With my 60D I used AI Servo, with centre point focus. This was handy when trying to pick out and follow one runner within a group. I am just wondering how I can get the initial focus to lock on to a centre focus point and then follow the subject. At the moment I think it is defaulted to select it's own focus unless I tell it otherwise on a shot by shot basis. I would rather not have to move the focus point onto a runner for each individual shot as this is slow and fiddly. I have the M5.

Also, I have the camera set to Servo and continuous. When I turn the camera on it will not show a focus box, but I can hear it changing focus as I move around the scene. What exactly is it focusing on when it does this? I am wondering in this scenario (photographing runners) is there any point in continuous mode.

I hope to get out to the local park at the weekend and experiment with some Birds in flight.

I'm wondering how M users set up their focus for moving objects (Birds in flight, sports/ action). With my 60D I used AI Servo, with centre point focus. This was handy when trying to pick out and follow one runner within a group. I am just wondering how I can get the initial focus to lock on to a centre focus point and then follow the subject. At the moment I think it is defaulted to select it's own focus unless I tell it otherwise on a shot by shot basis. I would rather not have to move the focus point onto a runner for each individual shot as this is slow and fiddly. I have the M5.

Also, I have the camera set to Servo and continuous. When I turn the camera on it will not show a focus box, but I can hear it changing focus as I move around the scene. What exactly is it focusing on when it does this? I am wondering in this scenario (photographing runners) is there any point in continuous mode.

I hope to get out to the local park at the weekend and experiment with some Birds in flight.

I dont think continuous focus will help much in that scenario and it eats through batteries as the camera will be trying to focus the whole time it is turned on.
Hopefully someone with an M5 and uses it in a similar way will be along shortly and can give a more qualified answer than I can.

Is the 15-45 worth getting?
I’d planned to just buy the m5, but the std zoom isn’t a lot of money.

If it doesn't cost that much, 15mm is nice and wide and plenty light at f3.5. Other option is 22mm which is supposed to b v sharp, better low light and makes the camera more pocketable. But u lose 7mm wide end.

i prefer the 11-22, but the 15-45 is ok for a kit lens, and i've seen it for less than £100 online, though that's a grey import.

Review here

Last edited:

Phil

Frankly the 15-45 is a mid quality lens and beyond around 32mm the fastest it will be is f/6.3 right through to 45mm so quite dark viewing.

The 22mm is brighter but fixed at around 34mm ff equivalent and though bright at f/2 it is sharper at f/2.8 and up to f/11.

If physical size is a problem then both the above are compact but the M 18-55 original Kit lens performs well and is sturdy. My favourite walkabout is the 22, then 18-55 and finally the 15/45. All are a bit of a compromise so evenings at this time of year the adapter goes on and the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART is first.

It is a problem that we have written about on thus thread, Canon’s walkabout ‘kit’ lens offering is poor - the 22mm produces some nice colour rendition so if you can try it out for yourself it may prove ideal. The 18-55 can be picked up for £60-90 on the Bay, but £100 and up for new seems to be the order of the day now. Likely the 15-45 as Canon’s ‘kit’ lens has affected supply?

Pity you were not down the South West before Tuesday evening as you could have tried my M5 out with those lenses but I am heading to Ireland overnight Tues/Wed.

My son borrowed my 22mm which I stuck on an original M on the first weekend od this mongh (no chance I was letting him near the M5) and these were handheld shots of the Bath Xmas Market.

IMG_1703.jpg

IMG_1513374181.237525.jpg

Last edited:

Good question, the price they often go for as a package, makes them incredible value for money, but would you use it?
I get the impression from your previous posts that you are more of a fast prime type, so once you get the 22mm f2 on the camera it will probably be there to stay:)
Having said that, though my 22mm very rarely comes off, being able to carry a small zoom in your pocket, just in case a wider or longer lens is needed is quite a nice thing.
On the other hand, it's quite possible you could sell it on straight away and most likely make a profit, or do an exchange against the EF to EF-M adaptor or the 22mm.
Just a few thoughts.

Thanks @Steve B @Hugh Jarse @cmcm789 and @Swissy

I am definitely getting the 22, and my planned use is a 3 Prime kit*, but as the zoom is so small light and inexpensive, I wondered whether it was worth owning just in case.

Oddly I rarely use the std zooms I have on the DSLRs, but I’m reluctant to get rid of them.

*edit 22,35 and 85 (I already have the 35 and 85)

Last edited:
Thanks @Steve B @Hugh Jarse @cmcm789 and @Swissy

I am definitely getting the 22, and my planned use is a 3 Prime kit, but as the zoom is so small light and inexpensive, I wondered whether it was worth owning just in case.

Oddly I rarely use the std zooms I have on the DSLRs, but I’m reluctant to get rid of them.

Phil

The 15-45 is not a ‘bad’ lens and, depending on buying it as part of the ‘kit’, it can be a bargain. I have been out with the M5 with the 11-22 and the M10 with the 18-55 and on those days I am pretty well covered, BUT, inevitably, the little 22 is tucked away in my pocket and when I get home, the 22 is on the M10.

The win is 2 bodies, 3 lenses, 2 spare batteries (E17/E12), Manfrotto Pixi tripod and microfibre cloth all fit ito my waterproof coat! Subtle street style! (The big pocket takes the M5/11-22 without snagging).

Steve

If anybody is interested, there is a good price reduction on the M100 (body only) at Wex currently. Aswell as the current £50 cashback offer, they have an additional £50 off using voucher code "50-CANON" bringing the price down to £299. Offer ends 3rd January on the voucher code.

Certainly no shortage of manual lenses becoming available for the EF-M mount these days, having trouble remembering them all, but that could be my age ;)

Relatively easy option

No AF and a plain mount pretty much an easy production line.

I had a fortnight use of the Samyang 16mm f/2 - was good fun but not sure I could truly justify buying. Add on the weight it conflicts with my main purpose of going fully to The M series - my stroke a year ago left me a bit feeble so weight was critical. I am much stronger now but have got used to a lighter load all round.

Relatively easy option

No AF and a plain mount pretty much an easy production line.

I had a fortnight use of the Samyang 16mm f/2 - was good fun but not sure I could truly justify buying. Add on the weight it conflicts with my main purpose of going fully to The M series - my stroke a year ago left me a bit feeble so weight was critical. I am much stronger now but have got used to a lighter load all round.

Yeah, thats one of the bigger and heavier ones, I think it is basically the same as the EF mount version, might even be a bit longer to accommodate the flange distance.
There are a lot smaller lenses in the Samyang range, have had a play with a 12mm f/2 and that is tiny in comparison. It's also on my long term shopping list for astro stuff :)

Yeah, thats one of the bigger and heavier ones, I think it is basically the same as the EF mount version, might even be a bit longer to accommodate the flange distance.
There are a lot smaller lenses in the Samyang range, have had a play with a 12mm f/2 and that is tiny in comparison. It's also on my long term shopping list for astro stuff :)

I have a plan to do some star trails and I may look again at the manual lenses.

For ultra wide I am very happy with the M 11-22 but there is satisfaction with the manual craft.

Steve

I have a plan to do some star trails and I may look again at the manual lenses.

For ultra wide I am very happy with the M 11-22 but there is satisfaction with the manual craft.

Steve

The 11-22mm would be ok for star trails at a push, but a bit slow really to be ideal. Have tried using it for milky way shots and it was a bit of a fail, the 22mm f/2 was much better suited though a bit narrow for single shots, stitching 2 shots together works though. Actually, the 22mm would probably be a better option for star trails too.

The 11-22mm would be ok for star trails at a push, but a bit slow really to be ideal. Have tried using it for milky way shots and it was a bit of a fail, the 22mm f/2 was much better suited though a bit narrow for single shots, stitching 2 shots together works though. Actually, the 22mm would probably be a better option for star trails too.

The 11-22 is the star M Zoom lens but pointed skywards it complains. Tried a friends and same. The manual approach is the route.

The 22 is excellent but I ned the width.

The 11-22 is the star M Zoom lens but pointed skywards it complains. Tried a friends and same. The manual approach is the route.

The 22 is excellent but I ned the width.

Yes you certainly need the light gathering of a larger aperture for the night sky which reduces the options.

Canon M5 body on Ebay £499.99
£1 off for any purchase over £300 :rolleyes:
20% discout this afternoon only
5% Quidco

Canon M5 ... Ordered. :)

Out of interest which trader is offering this deal?

LINK

Ebay code : PNY2018 (20% discount up to £75, 1 offer per account, from 12-6pm)
Quidco : Quidco :)

Bought the wife a new washer dryer on the other account so it's only fair I get the M5:banana:

Very good price

Passed details to a friend who was going to buy one.

Cheers

Steve

Managed to get a brand new M6 with 15-45mm off eBay with that 20% off for a nice little price of £334 delivered.

...so, after having a quick skim through the thread, but finding much info, where do most folk get an EF to M mount adapter?

Back