Canon EOS M Series Cameras

See above, loads of details and even reviews, it’s the M50

Thats what I thought at first, but this was the day after the M50 announcement apparently, so not so sure now?
Could be crossed wires of course, time will tell:)

WHY IS IT WHEN YOU PUT A POST UP REQUESTING SOME HELP OR INPUT ,JUST LATELY IT GETS BURIED IN A QUOTE LADEN NIT PICKING FEW REPLIES ,AND VIRTUALLY ALWAYS FROM THE SAME PEOPLE .IT IS GETTING BORING NOW

if you think this means you ,please don't quote me ,just take some chill pills!!!!!

Been pondering all week since the m50 was announced trying to make my mind up whether to jump now or later . So question 1 does anyone use the m6 and does it have any bad points to look out for .
#2 has any bought from e.globalcentral on e.bay and was it a good or bad experience .

I think the m6 will suit m6 needs for the .current time

Sorry i can't answer your first question, but regarding Eglobal, i've bought a few camera's and lenses from them and it's all been good so far, they're very cheap(grey), only downside is, it can take up to 2 weeks for your item to arrive.

cheers ,just had a look on there own site and the camera is £30 cheaper than there e.bay site ,will close the deal later with a bit more thinking

Daft as it seems, Canon could have got away with using the E12 battery by offering the option of an external battery pack using a USB power brick with a USB cable or a battery replacement unit in the style of the mains units available for many DSLRs but connecting to a power brick with belt hook for quick release.

Sounds a bit far fetched?

Well it is available....

Ex-Pro[emoji768] Canon DR-E12 LP-E12 On-The-Move 16000mAh Rechargeable Battery Power System replacing Battery Grip Battery for Canon EOS M, EOS M10 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B01M5KQQSY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_XYFLAbZPWKBF3

If Canon were to build this into their offering and properly support it then it could be rolled out for other models. Naturally it might hit margins from extra/replacement batteries....

All day shooting anyone?

Interesting, not see that before.

cheers ,just had a look on there own site and the camera is £30 cheaper than there e.bay site ,will close the deal later with a bit more thinking

....You might already know this, Jeff, but there is often a difference in price between a supplier's own online shop and the price from the same supplier advertised by eBay or Amazon. I have found that Amazon often offer the same goods from the same supplier at a cheaper price. I never buy from eBay as a matter of principle as I do not trust eBay/Paypal, but that's another story and off topic.

If the original supplier (physical shipper) is more expensive, then they are usually willing to match the cheaper Amazon/eBay price if you phone and ask. This is another reason to build good personal relationships with suppliers who appreciate your business - I always buy by phone if I can. The reason for price differences in the case of Amazon is them wielding purchasing leverage. Less profit margin on a sold unit versus more profit margin on less units sold = More overall profit < Hopefully that makes sense!

Weird because i have never bought any photo equipment from Amazon, as in my experience their prices are not competitive.

Weird because i have never bought any photo equipment from Amazon, as in my experience their prices are not competitive.

....Me neither but I was looking at a LaCie Rugged portable HD on Amazon which came up in a Google search and noticed it was coming from a retail supplier I already knew well enough to phone and who volunteered to match Amazon's lower price.

I would never want to buy cameras or lenses from Amazon or indeed from anywhere other than retailers I already know and trust.

having a total re-think on this ,basically I just want something light weight to bolt onto my sigma 150 macro ,to save swopping lenses over. begining to wonder if the top end bodies are a step to far (also having heard of compatabilty issues with the sigma lenses on some models ) so I'm starting to wonder whether its worth just getting a mark1m body and adaptor instead and saving a few hundred quid .
any thoughts ???

having a total re-think on this ,basically I just want something light weight to bolt onto my sigma 150 macro ,to save swopping lenses over. begining to wonder if the top end bodies are a step to far (also having heard of compatabilty issues with the sigma lenses on some models ) so I'm starting to wonder whether its worth just getting a mark1m body and adaptor instead and saving a few hundred quid .
any thoughts ???

....That's EXACTLY why I bought an EOS M5 plus EF Adapter < To save me faffing around changing lenses when shooting the same subject and trying to get closer with the Macro. The only difference is me using a Canon Macro 100mm + x1.4 Kenko instead of a Sigma 150mm Macro.

I have no experience at all of the other Canon M bodies but can state without any hesitation whatsoever that the M5 can deliver RAW image quality which is indistinguishable from my 7D2. Checking my 'EOS M5' Album on Flickr should support my statement.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157683996949495

[I am NOT trying to persuade you, Jeff, to buy my M5 although I expect to offer it for sale soon-ish] I shall not be replacing it with a M50 or next version M5 as I prefer my 5D4 (bought after the M5) for macro and can now easily carry my 7D2 as well.

Last edited:
any thoughts ???

I have a 5D2 and a Tamron 90mm F2.8 macro lens and find the combination rather unwieldy for handheld macro work, my wife finds the combination impossible to use because of the weight. I do think that the EOS M makes sense with a macro lens, especially as Magic Lantern is available for this model. There is obviously no viewfinder, but Magic Lantern can be set to display focus peaking on the rear display, so what is, and what is not in focus, is very clear. Certainly worthy of consideration if a low price body and converter can be sourced.

any thoughts ???
I have a 7DII which I use most of the time. But also an EOS M (got one when Argos were blowing them out for £199, proper bargain) with an EF adaptor for times when I want to bolt a big lens on. I did have a Sigma 300mm f/2.8 with 2.0x TC on at one time. Looked a bit silly on the tripod, but it worked a treat.

I mainly use it with the EF-M 18-55 kit lens it came with when I just want something compact to walk about with. But when my 50D failed in Iceland, the EOS M came in very handy for the rest of the trip and the images were/are every bit as good as the 50D and compare well to those from the 7DII.

Last edited:
From dpreview's what you need to know

M50 buffer, 1 second
Eye Af, Limited to Single Focus Mode
Silent mode is a scene mode, no control of exposure.

I suppose I should remember it's an entry level camera, but...

@the black fox I reckon an original M body would be sufficient if you are just going to stick the macro on it, and if you don't mind the fixed screen.

From dpreview's what you need to know

M50 buffer, 1 second
Eye Af, Limited to Single Focus Mode
Silent mode is a scene mode, no control of exposure.

I suppose I should remember it's an entry level camera, but...

@the black fox I reckon an original M body would be sufficient if you are just going to stick the macro on it, and if you don't mind the fixed screen.

So is their intended demographic is Social Media/snap shooters and prople who won’t need all the modes?

deed done got a brand new M3 with lens at a affordable price from a u.k retailer . anyone selling a adaptor at the right price.

Change that just been notified it’s not brand new ,order now cancelled will order a used one from wex later on grrrr

Last edited:
deed done got a brand new M3 with lens at a affordable price from a u.k retailer . anyone selling a adaptor at the right price.

Change that just been notified it’s not brand new ,order now cancelled will order a used one from wex later on grrrr
Buy a 3rd party one, it’s only a spacer with electrical connections.

I have the meike version and works fine on the original M

Buy a 3rd party one, it’s only a spacer with electrical connections.

....But make sure it's well built and with a metal mount like a proper Canon one. Buy cheap, buy twice! And if your expensive EF lens gets broken with it failing, the damage is even worse.

Honestly, how much are you going to save by buying a third-party one? Absolutely not worth it in my opinion.

I have the original and Meike adapters

No issues with the Meike model the Canon one can be a pain as the tripod mount can loosen, nearly lost my 70-200 L due to that. Little drop of rubber cement solved that.

update cancelled order for the original one with the lens and awaiting PayPal refund ,just ordered a used condition ( 9 ) M3 from wex and saved £100 .someone has been in touch re-adaptor so awaiting a price on that and go from there .

thanks just bought a mieke one ,had the brand before on a mk1 with no problems

Struth,
I am seriously looking to buy an M camera but there are hundreds of models lol.
sensor wise M6 M5 M50 are they about the same?
M6 has Ibis I think and im guessing the M50 too,im not that into 4K so dont want to pay xtra for that so maybe M5 or M6,no VF in 6?
I wish they would consolidate a bit more.

Struth,
I am seriously looking to buy an M camera but there are hundreds of models lol.
M6 has Ibis I think and im guessing the M50 too,im not that into 4K so dont want to pay xtra for that so maybe M5 or M6,no VF in 6?
I wish they would consolidate a bit more.

The M5/M6 are basically the same internally spec wise. The M5 has the built in EVF and there is an external EVF for the M6 (it can use the EVF1 which was brought out for the EOS M3 ot the EVF2 which is the restyle foe the EOS M6. The M3/M5/M6 all use the same LP-E17 battery.

For me the M6 is a lovely walkabout camera and with the 22mm pancake lens close to awesome, but the M5 is first choice. Handle both and see which you are comfortable with.

I only went for the M3 due to funds ,if it warrants a upgrade later in the year then I won’t lose much on it

Anyone find they keep accidently press the rec button on m5?

....Yes, it's a commonly reported gripe. However, it's easily solved if you are a stills only shooter (like me) by switching it off in settings.

Something I really dislike about these small M cameras is the Back-Button-Focus button is halfway off the grip and too easy for your finger to slip off - Also tricky to find when you are in the viewfinder. On the other hand the peak focussing display in the viewfinder (M5) plus manual focus instead of AF, is a nice feature - Except when the viewfinder is on the darker side and there are times when you want to intentionally underexpose an shot. I'm not sure I like mirrorless cameras that much.

....I don't know about the M6 but the M5 and M50 have Canon's Dual-Pixel APS-C sensor which is more or less the same as in the 80D and 7D2.

I can tell you without any doubt whatsoever that resulting images from the M5 (mounting the same EF lenses) are absolutely the same high image quality as from the 7D2 as I shoot with both. My 'EOS M5' Album on my Flickr pages illustrate this < You be the judge.

Last edited:
....Yes, it's a commonly reported gripe. However, it's easily solved if you are a stills only shooter (like me) by switching it off in settings.

Something I really dislike about these small M cameras is the Back-Button-Focus button is halfway off the grip and too easy for your finger to slip off - Also tricky to find when you are in the viewfinder. On the other hand the peak focussing display in the viewfinder (M5) plus manual focus instead of AF, is a nice feature - Except when the viewfinder is on the darker side and there are times when you want to intentionally underexpose an shot. I'm not sure I like mirrorless cameras that much.

....I don't know about the M6 but the M5 and M50 have Canon's Dual-Pixel APS-C sensor which is more or less the same as in the 80D and 7D2.

I can tell you without any doubt whatsoever that resulting images from the M5 (mounting the same EF lenses) are absolutely the same high image quality as from the 7D2 as I shoot with both. My 'EOS M5' Album on my Flickr pages illustrate this.

The M6 has the same Dual-Pixel sensor as the M5.

this m3 which I know is no good for moving subjects will be my third foray into the M series ,my best mate is doing extremely well with a M5 and 400mm f5.6 hand held to .once up and running with the m3 I might contemplate downsizing to the same as him ,as age is catching me up fast and taking some of the pleasure out of things .will most certainly be trying out his rig to see anyway

has anyone else made the switch from full size bodies to the eos.m system totally .and if so what advantages and/or problems have you encountered along the way ?? I know theres a couple on here that have for medical reasons your thoughts would be helpful

Last edited:
Got the adaptor ,just waiting on the body now .hopefully in the morning

has anyone else made the switch from full size bodies to the eos.m system totally .and if so what advantages and/or problems have you encountered along the way ?? I know theres a couple on here that have for medical reasons your thoughts would be helpful

....I haven't made the switch but I do use both EOS M5 body with adapter and D-SLR bodies, all on EF lenses. It's a personal thing but I find the M5 body's controls a bit too small. I lent a friend of mine my M5 to try out on his Canon 400mm F/5.6L and although he was impressed by the image quality he felt the same as myself and has since bought a 5D4 instead!

I think it's not a question of weight but more of balance and enjoying having full control at your fingertips. Otherwise just go out and buy any compact camera and only shoot in auto mode.

Back