Canon EOS M Series Cameras

Time will tell on this one robin .between me ,the wife and my mate we have a very good selection of lenses and bodies to make the choice from . But I definitely can’t stretch to a 5d4 no matter how tempting

I’ve just rejoined this forum and moved from a 5D2 to an M3 but my decision was based on a need to step away from professional photography and rediscover a much loved hobby. The M3 isn’t a bad little camera, EF lenses aren’t great on it, even with an adapter - focusing more than image quality - but it’s a neat little camera that’s capable enough and on a par with the very budget end of DSLR’s. It’ll never compare to a full frame camera nearer the top of the Canon range but I’m ok with that, I don’t want to shoot another wedding as long as I live, I want to take photos of dandelions and my kids and the dog and places I go to, for that the M3 is perfectly adequate and nice and light too.

Although battery life is pants and I have a stupid iPhone so can’t take advantage of the NFC feature.

The reason SLR/DSLR format has been around so long, is that it works as a tool. There are definitely times when a more compact system camera body like the M series come in very handy, but I don't think they'll replace the DSLR.

Time will tell on this one robin .between me ,the wife and my mate we have a very good selection of lenses and bodies to make the choice from . But I definitely can’t stretch to a 5d4 no matter how tempting

....Yep, the proof of any pudding is always in the eating!

I wasn't trying to tempt you to a 5D4 (much!!) but actually was just sharing my direct experiences by giving everyone reading this thread the details of what I have been using.

Canon intentionally (as publicly stated by Canon staff) included the EF Adapter option so that the M5 (and other M-series?) could become a useful piece within the whole EOS system.

Enjoy it, Jeff!

Camera just turned up from wex and I have to say that for a used item it looks brand new .play will commence once I awake fully

I want to take photos of dandelions and my kids and the dog and places I go to, for that the M3 is perfectly adequate and nice and light too.

Although battery life is pants and I have a stupid iPhone so can’t take advantage of the NFC feature.

....Flower Power Hippy Child, eh? :D

I think that installing the Canon App on an iPhone will give you remote control and I also think my iPhone 7 Plus has NFC.

Buy a spare battery (or two) and problem solved.

Last edited:
....Flower Power Hippy Child, eh?

I think that installing the Canon App on an iPhone will give you remote control and I also think my iPhone 7 Plus has NFC.

Buy a spare battery (or two) and problem solved.

The batteries I bought are rubbish but it was about a year ago and the market was fairly limited for them at the time, I’ve noticed that Duracell do them now - the charger has to be somewhere though, I’m convinced, I’m almost at the point where I’ll be pulling the sofa to pieces but can’t face the clean up that will undoubtedly follow [emoji23]

Also, I have the iPhone SE so have looked into the NFC and it would appear I can use if for ApplePay and ApplePay only - I don’t care enough to upgrade my phone but there may be an argument for the Sony Xperia when my contract is up ;)

I am quite happy with my M5 for day to day use but I will take the 7D for anything needing faster autofocus (although that will hopefully be going this year if Canon announce a MKIII).

I find it easy enough to use with any adapted lens up to the 70-300mm L, I also used it with the 400mm f5.6L with no problem but the Sigma 150-600mm sport was a bit more difficult ;)

Control and size wise I have no issues at all.

HELP !!!
just tried it out with the sigma macro and its constantly juddering to attain focus .fine once it acquires a target and the pics look fine ,but is there a way to stop the juddering without switching it on and off all the time

HELP !!!
just tried it out with the sigma macro and its constantly juddering to attain focus .fine once it acquires a target and the pics look fine ,but is there a way to stop the juddering without switching it on and off all the time

....Is your EF adapter a Canon?

If not, then that will most likely be the problem. Potential issues like electronic communication incompatibility is why I ALWAYS buy Canon - More expensive but buy cheap buy twice.

Otherwise, it is almost certainly an electronic communication issue with focussing instructions. As Mike.P says, switch off AF if you can? Much better to manual focus for macro work anyway.

both answers acknowledged I have partially cleared it by setting auto turn off to 10 secs ,will look at the constant a.f in a moment .

p.s its doing it with the other lenses to robin .

now fully sorted .it was mainly the constant a/f .battery now on charge play later
be nice now boys and robin

now fully sorted .it was mainly the constant a/f .battery now on charge play later
be nice now boys and robin

....Aha, simple when you know how! Just a lack of battery juice to power the AF. Glad you sorted it. Now buy a spare battery, Jeff. I find that my M5 drinks juice even when switched off (and yes, the GPS is not set to on).

....Aha, simple when you know how! Just a lack of battery juice to power the AF. Glad you sorted it. Now buy a spare battery, Jeff. I find that my M5 drinks juice even when switched off (and yes, the GPS is not set to on).

probably because your using a canon adaptor :naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty::naughty:

No I don’t follow that a piece of plastic with a few brass contacts no glass ,no circuitry can make a blind bit of difference ,to say that it does is pure labels snobbery

No I don’t follow that a piece of plastic with a few brass contacts no glass ,no circuitry can make a blind bit of difference ,to say that it does is pure labels snobbery

....I thought you already knew that I was made in Chelsea and am a snob, Jeff :D

Ah well just won the muppet of the year award ,had a really busy day with lots going on ,so didn’t get a chance to settle down and play with the new toy till this evening ,sat there for a couple of hours trying out the ring flash on the macro that worked o.k ,tried focusing with the macro and couldnt get it working properly ,went through all the camera settings twice ,camera in manual mode ,auto iso ,aperture right ,focussed manually pressed the shutter and lost focus .

Muppet award I left the lens in auto ,face palm forehead and put it away till morning

What are the used values of m5's at the moment, anyone got any ideas?
around £500 you can buy new from h.dew with 3 yr warranty for the same

I’ve just rejoined this forum and moved from a 5D2 to an M3 but my decision was based on a need to step away from professional photography and rediscover a much loved hobby. The M3 isn’t a bad little camera, EF lenses aren’t great on it, even with an adapter - focusing more than image quality - but it’s a neat little camera that’s capable enough and on a par with the very budget end of DSLR’s. It’ll never compare to a full frame camera nearer the top of the Canon range but I’m ok with that, I don’t want to shoot another wedding as long as I live, I want to take photos of dandelions and my kids and the dog and places I go to, for that the M3 is perfectly adequate and nice and light too.

I've had the M3 since its first launch & just recently got the M6, went out couple days ago to do a bit of photography with the M6 & hadn't realised until I got to the Washlands I came out with the M3, anyway Im here now so after settling down at my local spot didn't give it a thought I was using the M3 as I was snapping away, got home & the results were as pleasing as my M6 only slight downside was the slower focus but then if I use my old eos M the M3 is a lot faster focus so M3 is a great mid mirrorless camera & enjoy your fun with yours.

my mate turned up for a brief visit this morning and I took the opportunity to try his 55-250is STM out only m3 ,putting it bluntly I'm very impressed ,quick to focus nearly up to dslr speed in fact .and quite sharp images considering i haven't set the camera up or checked settings just bolted it on and shot through a double glazed window . I'm impressed enough to be looking for one a.s.a.p ,ideal rig for the summer coupled with my 150 mm macro couple of sample shots
55-250 stm test 1 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

55-250 stm test 2 by jeff and jan cohen, on Flickr

Last edited:
I know it's slightly larger but the 70-300mm L works very well on my M5.
I have seen the 55-250 mentioned quite a few times in respect to the M3 mike ,so I wanted to try before I buy and I can get a grey for just over a ton brand new ,unless I find a used stm cheaper that will do .

I have seen the 55-250 mentioned quite a few times in respect to the M3 mike ,so I wanted to try before I buy and I can get a grey for just over a ton brand new ,unless I find a used stm cheaper that will do .

The 55-250 STM is a gem on the M5, I am not comfortable with it on the M6.

Steve

I know it's slightly larger but the 70-300mm L works very well on my M5.
I cant wait to get a M50 and use my 70-300L on it. I used to use this lens on my old Sony A6000, but found AF to be a waste of time. MF was much quicker and quite easy.
Im convinced my 18-135 USM Nano will be my main lens on the M50 though.

I wish April would hurry up and arrive, so i can actually get the camera. At the moment im having to use my 5D4 :)

I cant wait to get a M50 and use my 70-300L on it. I used to use this lens on my old Sony A6000, but found AF to be a waste of time. MF was much quicker and quite easy.
Im convinced my 18-135 USM Nano will be my main lens on the M50 though.

I wish April would hurry up and arrive, so i can actually get the camera. At the moment im having to use my 5D4 :)

I am still using the 18-135 STM on the M5 - super. Your Nano version should better.

I am still using the 18-135 STM on the M5 - super. Your Nano version should better.
The missus has an 18-135mm USM Nano on her 80D, very impressive lens. She also has the new version of the EF 70-300mm which also has Nano USM, focusing is instantaneous and silent.

The missus has an 18-135mm USM Nano on her 80D, very impressive lens. She also has the new version of the EF 70-300mm which also has Nano USM, focusing is instantaneous and silent.

I have both the STM and Nano versions of the 18-135 for my 80D, and yeah, very impressive lenses. I went full frame 5 years ago but when I got my 80D back in 2016 as a back up I was impressed with the quality of the lower priced Canon lenses, especially the STM lenses. So much so that I’m more likely to have my 80D and 18-135 with me than my 5D4 and 24-70 f/2.8 Mkii. Obviously I’m not saying the 80D combo is better, but it suits me more sometimes.

The reason SLR/DSLR format has been around so long, is that it works as a tool. There are definitely times when a more compact system camera body like the M series come in very handy, but I don't think they'll replace the DSLR.
Th fuji, Panasonic and sony mirrorless systems imo already are replacing DSLR

I think that the format is as it is partly because in 't old daze we used film and cameras had to incorporate the shape. These days we don't need a sheet or cartridge of film so in that respect it's a little surprising the we're using essentially the same shaped kit. It could arguably be made more ergonomic as we're now freed from the need to incorporate film and it's movement.

In your opinion?

The sales figures tell a different story still.

So it’s not the end yet! It’ll happen though, as Dave says.

I just wish Canon would put some effort into the lenses. They seem to believe that most mirrorless users prioritise size over IQ, and that any mirrorless buyers who want to use decent lenses are happy to use EF lenses with the adaptor. I just wonder whether they’re right. Is the market for quality EF-m lenses big enough to justify the R&D?

There’s plenty here would like to buy more primes in the 22mm mould, (30 and 55) but are we statistically significant? Fuji and the M4/3 sales figures suggest there’s a market.

I think that the format is as it is partly because in 't old daze we used film and cameras had to incorporate the shape. These days we don't need a sheet or cartridge of film so in that respect it's a little surprising the we're using essentially the same shaped kit. It could arguably be made more ergonomic as we're now freed from the need to incorporate film and it's movement.
I’d love to see a proper rf shaped M camera like the x pro. There’s no good reason for the bump on the M5 it’s counter intuitive, I don’t think Canon have realised that mirrorless users wanting a viewfinder don’t necessarily want it to look like a DSLR.

I’d love to see a proper rf shaped M camera like the x pro. There’s no good reason for the bump on the M5 it’s counter intuitive, I don’t think Canon have realised that mirrorless users wanting a viewfinder don’t necessarily want it to look like a DSLR.

For me one advantage of the RF shape is that I'm not hiding and hidden behind the camera.

The Panasonic tilting EVF is even better IMO as you can angle it slightly and with just a slight tilt / nod of the head (with the camera still in place) you're either looking down into the EVF or engaging with the subject.

Maybe, maybe not. I still prefer an eye-level optical viewfinder for general shooting. YMMV of course.

for once I actually agree with you Phil ,I very nearly went for the M6 with a mind to getting a EVF at a later date still unsure on that as the touch screen might not get as much use as I thought it would ,so do I go m5/m50 or m6 next .still not really had time to play properly with the m3 yet .
it also seems that the latest canon lenses work better with the m series i.e the STM or nano versions ,next on my shopping list is most definetly a 55-250 is STM and then progress from there

Back