Canon EOS M Series Cameras

So, my question is - does the M5 offer better AF continous than the M6? I chose the M6 for budgetary reasons.. however now not so sure!

I can't compare the two as I haven't tried the M6 but from my understanding they share the same AF system. As to the M5, as I have said before in the thread it doesn't even compare to my old 7D MKI never mind some of the more modern bodies, tracking is certainly not a strong point. The M50 may be better?

I just dont like those sort of bags, even though i know there is nothing wrong with them.

If i was using M lenses I’d be ok with any bag, but my M50, with adaptor, 18-135 and hood its quite long. Even in the Sling bag its a tight squeeze getting the zip closed. It will work though. I could lay it on its side if i was only taking out one lens, or have the other lens in the unpadded part, but i need to be aware that if i have another lens on the camera I still have to store the longer 18-135 and hood.

Last edited:
I can't compare the two as I haven't tried the M6 but from my understanding they share the same AF system. As to the M5, as I have said before in the thread it doesn't even compare to my old 7D MKI never mind some of the more modern bodies, tracking is certainly not a strong point. The M50 may be better?

I’m guessing that none of the M bodies can track as well as using a OVF and Servo AI.

If you are after a bag what about this one LINKY

Saw it on Hotdeals, I have loads of bags but this looks ideal for the M5 and couple of EF-M lenses.

That is the one I have! I got the 140 as it does take a couple of lenses. Very compact. I got it for £10 locally unused! Was a snatch buy that is getting used. I have a few Lowepro bags but the bigger ones are storage only these days.

Attention anyone with an M5 or M6 - I have some Qs please!

I have the M6 and primarily use with 100-400 IS - other lens include 200 2.8 and 17-50 2.8. Very happy with AF in normal mode - however when switching to servo not impressed with it? It will struggle with birds in flight, definitely and doesn't seem to have the "release priory or focus priority" that my V Lux 114 has or, from recollection, other canon DSLRS? Indeed the AF of the V lux is miles better in continous - some crackers.

So, my question is - does the M5 offer better AF continous than the M6? I chose the M6 for budgetary reasons.. however now not so sure!

Thanks in advance! :)

With My M6 I find it's much better to use ether 'high speed continuous' or 'low speed continuous' & find its quicker switching between single shots & continuous than going to 'menu & AF operation' also turning of 'continuous AF helps.

Last edited:
Great captures Mike, that lens is on my list of ‘wants’, although not sure I’d use it on my M50.

I had a great find today. Was walking past the local charity shop when i spotted a grey Tenba DNA 10 in the window. I knew the brand name but didn’t know anything about the bag. It seems perfect for what i was looking for. Smaller than the Sling, but with more zipped pockets. Also better sealed against the elements. I quickly googled the bag and saw they sell for £100. I took a chance and went to the till.......£10!!!!!. I think I would have got it even if I wasn’t looking for a smaller bag. I actualy gave them £20 for it, whxcih seemed fair. Seems to be in perfect condition. A few scuff makes but no tears and all the relevant bits are with it.

So, two new bags in two days, to go with the other 5 i have at home lol.

This image I created with Photoshop Elements and all pictures were taken with my Canon M, M3, M6,
3D sea birds.0006.edit.001.jpg

Last edited:
Cool shot Jim. I wish i had the time to do more with my shots. I’m stuck in a rut just using Lightroom these days. I got Luminar 2018 a while back but never use that.

Here’s a strange thing. I had my 70-300L on my M50 today and ive always had the camera set to Eco mode. This seems to work well, although a bit annoying at times. Anyway, i noticed the IS in my 70-300L was whirling away even though the camera was asleep. It turns out the EVF senior is still active and this was triggering the IS. Now this, to me, is stupid, as you only need to go near the back of the camera and the battery will start draining, even though the camera isnt doing anything else.

Anyone with a M5 notice this?

Still love the camera though. I’m about to trade in my 135L to get the 18-150. I know, a huge downgrade but I hardly use the 135L, and I’d like to get a smaller general zoom for my holidays that doesnt need an adapter.

Cool shot Jim. I wish i had the time to do more with my shots. I’m stuck in a rut just using Lightroom these days. I got Luminar 2018 a while back but never use that.

Here’s a strange thing. I had my 70-300L on my M50 today and ive always had the camera set to Eco mode. This seems to work well, although a bit annoying at times. Anyway, i noticed the IS in my 70-300L was whirling away even though the camera was asleep. It turns out the EVF senior is still active and this was triggering the IS. Now this, to me, is stupid, as you only need to go near the back of the camera and the battery will start draining, even though the camera isnt doing anything else.

Still love the camera though. I’m about to trade in my 135L to get the 18-150. I know, a huge downgrade but I hardly use the 135L, and I’d like to get a smaller general zoom for my holidays that doesnt need an adapter.

Thanks Dave.
Regards your Eco, I've not noticed it on my M3 with the evf on but have when I use it on my M6 I can here motor whirling, so your question confirms mine now.

Thanks Dave.
Regards your Eco, I've not noticed it on my M3 with the evf on but have when I use it on my M6 I can here motor whirling, so your question confirms mine now.

Cheers Jim. Just to confirm, the issue I’m talking about is when the EVF and LCD are off when i notice it. Its just the sensor that seems to stay live. The IS will go off after the normal length of time.

Cheers Jim. Just to confirm, the issue I’m talking about is when the EVF and LCD are off when i notice it. Its just the sensor that seems to stay live. The IS will go off after the normal length of time.

tbh ive not taken that much notice of it but it does seem to stop after a bit if i don't look in the evf or touch the screen.

Turn off constant a/f and turn picture review off as well ,pretty sure there the only ones to do

Some people go on about not neededing all these megapixels, but if you do need to crop in a lot it’s nice to have.

The more i use this camera the more i find its enough for most of wha it need, especially when I’m walking around town and dont actualy shoot much. Today was not very productive, but it was nice not having a heavy bag with me. I’m just hoping i can get on with the 18-150 when i get it and not keep going back to my 18-135 too much.

Just out for a spin.....
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

The Harmony and City of London
by Dave Pearce, on Flickr

Last edited:
When we upload images directly to this site it only allows low res versions. Mine also look really sharp before uploading. I would normally link from Flickr but its really hard work getting that working on my ipad.
yes there is a way but its so long since i did it ive forgotten but somewhere on the net is the solution

Dave

I am sure you will have read back in the thread of my disappointment with the 18-150M. I had 3 copies all with a lot of CA. Admittedly, at the time of release, there was no LR profile to sort the CA but all I would say is check the lens you get. 2 of mine we worse at the top right corner of the frame frome 120-150mm, the last was mid-bottom. Perhaps Canon have sorted it but my fallback was and is the 55-200M. A single walkabout lens is ideal but I am used to the 11-22/22/55-200 kit on the M5.

I always regretted trading my 135L!

Steve

Dave

I am sure you will have read back in the thread of my disappointment with the 18-150M. I had 3 copies all with a lot of CA. Admittedly, at the time of release, there was no LR profile to sort the CA but all I would say is check the lens you get. 2 of mine we worse at the top right corner of the frame frome 120-150mm, the last was mid-bottom. Perhaps Canon have sorted it but my fallback was and is the 55-200M. A single walkabout lens is ideal but I am used to the 11-22/22/55-200 kit on the M5.

Steve
i chuckled again just now as your name came up :D

Dave

Steve
Thanks Steve.
I have seen you posts and the issues you had with that lens. CA is not something i would worry too much about, as its easily cured in post. I always shoot raw so dont mind having to do a bit extra. For me its all about size, and I’d really only use it for holidays, i dont think i could ever give up my 18-135 Nano, at least not for anything thats currently available.
I do get paranoid when buying new lenses, so ill be getting it online with the safety net of being able to send it back. As i have a 5D4 and L lenses I’m prepared to take a hit IQ wise, as the convincence will make up for this, but at just over £400 i will expected it to be decent, and i will check it out thoroughly.

I could get away with the 11-22/55-200 combo, and I expect the 55-200 would spend the most time on my M50, but the reviews ive read of both the 18-150 and 55-200 put the 18-150 ahead in terms of IQ. I guess each will have good and bad copies, but i do like the idea of only using one lens for as much as i can.

My 135L is the least used lens i have, and while I’ll probably miss it at some point i cant imagine a situation where I have to have it.

Thanks Steve.
I have seen you posts and the issues you had with that lens. CA is not something i would worry too much about, as its easily cured in post. I always shoot raw so dont mind having to do a bit extra. For me its all about size, and I’d really only use it for holidays, i dont think i could ever give up my 18-135 Nano, at least not for anything thats currently available.
I do get paranoid when buying new lenses, so ill be getting it online with the safety net of being able to send it back. As i have a 5D4 and L lenses I’m prepared to take a hit IQ wise, as the convincence will make up for this, but at just over £400 i will expected it to be decent, and i will check it out thoroughly.

I could get away with the 11-22/55-200 combo, and I expect the 55-200 would spend the most time on my M50, but the reviews ive read of both the 18-150 and 55-200 put the 18-150 ahead in terms of IQ. I guess each will have good and bad copies, but i do like the idea of only using one lens for as much as i can.

My 135L is the least used lens i have, and while I’ll probably miss it at some point i cant imagine a situation where I have to have it.

I would look at the 18-150 again at some point but I find my main drift is along the Prime route. The bigger kit includes the 24mm (EF-S), 28mm M (Bletch), 30mm Sigma f/1.4 ART), 40mm (EF), 50mm (EF), 60mm (EFS), 85mm (EF), 100,
mm (EF). I feel it takes me back to my film days bit that lot only goes out when I am driving!

If you find that the 18-150 does work to your requirements then I may be tempted back. I have done little PP lately.

Steve

I’m sure the 18-150 is still very mediocre, but I’m sure its going to be good enough for the job i want it for. When I’m on holiday I’d rather not be changing lenses, especially not near sand or sea water, so one lens that will cover all the FL’s will be great to have.
Ive hardly used my 11-22, i have it with me all the time but just cant find a reason to use it. I’m sure it will come though. Lovely small lens.

When my 18-135 with hood is mounted on my M50 its a tight squeeze getting it in the new small bags. It fits, but the strap is a problem. Just an inch or two shorter will make a big difference and pretty much make life complete lol.

I’m getting rid of my 24 f/2.8 STM and 10-18. Ill keep my L lenses. I’m happy with the M50 and look forward to seeing what what else Canon come up with in the near future. Ill probably get the M5’s replacement at some point, getting the M50 was just to see if i could go without my 80D as a travel camera.

I’m sure the 18-150 is still very mediocre, but I’m sure its going to be good enough for the job i want it for. When I’m on holiday I’d rather not be changing lenses, especially not near sand or sea water, so one lens that will cover all the FL’s will be great to have.
Ive hardly used my 11-22, i have it with me all the time but just cant find a reason to use it. I’m sure it will come though. Lovely small lens.

When my 18-135 with hood is mounted on my M50 its a tight squeeze getting it in the new small bags. It fits, but the strap is a problem. Just an inch or two shorter will make a big difference and pretty much make life complete lol.

I’m getting rid of my 24 f/2.8 STM and 10-18. Ill keep my L lenses. I’m happy with the M50 and look forward to seeing what what else Canon come up with in the near future. Ill probably get the M5’s replacement at some point, getting the M50 was just to see if i could go without my 80D as a travel camera.

There is a 35mm M due soon. Hopefully it will be officially announced soon.

Yeah that’s one i will be very intested in. Although i hear good things about the 22 f/2 (and I had this on the original M) its just a bit too wide for me to use much. Ive had good results with my 35 f/2 IS on the M50, but if i can get away without an adaptor I’m up for that. It would be great if it had IS as well.
I still have my 50mm f/1.8 STM which i love more than any other 50mm lens ive used, but on a crop its a bit less useful for general shooting.

Here's a cool thing, although im sure its the same for most of the M cameras.
I normally use Manual mode for shooting video (not that i do a lot of it), as i like to keep things under control, but today i tired the proper Movie mode (in Manual mode). I noticed AF is much slower and smoother in this mode. At first i thought it was an issue with my 24-70 f/4 i was testing out, but switching back to M mode gave me back the snappy AF. I can see why this happens, and im sure its in the manual somewhere, but i wasn't aware of it until today. This partly makes up for the lack of speed control that my 5D4 has i guess. .

Back