Canon EOS M Series Cameras

I think the Canon FFML will be much like a larger M50, only hopefully with decent sensor IBIS, not just digital. That will add to the size a little perhaps, though Nikon have managed to keep theirs pretty neat and the IBIS looks better than Sony's

The m50 is a very nice body to handle and use, so if it is based around that style I could imagine the ff M being very nice to handle. I am surprised that nothing solid has leaked if it really is coming around the 5th september, but perhaps that is a good thing as no one can make up expectations to potentially be disappointed on release if something didn't quite work properly.

The m50 is a very nice body to handle and use, so if it is based around that style I could imagine the ff M being very nice to handle. I am surprised that nothing solid has leaked if it really is coming around the 5th september, but perhaps that is a good thing as no one can make up expectations to potentially be disappointed on release if something didn't quite work properly.

There were rumours early summer that some Canon ambassadors were beta testing the camera, there were also a few small statements from Canon themselves, but then Nikon jumped into the spotlight and Canon took advantage of the opportunity to dive back into the shadows.

So you’re actually saying that you want a DSLR shaped system?

I genuinely believe that’s a minority view

I also own a 6d, which I bought in preference to a 5d, but I still prefer to carry the M5 and the frustration with that is having to use an adaptor with my lenses, but just making the M5 bigger to alleviate the need for the adaptor is the wrong way round.

yep, if it was a slightly smaller that would be fine, but the ergonomics need to great-not compromised just to shrink it. I dislike adding a grip and if one is needed just to make it ergonomic it means its a poor design of camera (needing vertical buttons/more battery's is obviously different)
I think f.frame sized as it is and m-series with more native m glass available, plus ability to use adaptor would work well for me.
So if I wanted really small, an m camera and a couple of pancake primes and still have the back catalogue of ef glass for the full frame.
But tbh as I never own many lenses at one time its not a huge deal for me really. I am just glad we are finally seeing both the "big guns" going into production with full frame mirrorless

Last edited:
Not far off now it seems, and looks to be more aimed at the mid range market than pro. No mention of card slots ...

Rumored specifications

• 28MP full frame sensor
  • Dual Pixel Auto Focus
  • IBIS (In Body Image Stabilisation)
  • 10fps shooting
  • 4k@30fps
  • 1080p@60fps
  • Priced $1,900

....That spec suggests to me that it would fit in very nicely in Canon's range but wouldn't it potentially reduce 6D-2 sales?

Being mirrorless I would have thought that a higher than 10fps would be easily feasible and also desirable for action and wildlife photography. But there is often a trade off between MP and FPS, at least in D-SLR technology.

I don't see Canon giving up having 2 card slots and hope this is the case < 2 card slots would definitely be an advantage over Nikon's Z spec.

if the rumour is true I think that would sell very well, looks a bit like a mirrorless 6d, fingers crossed they nail it and it keeps ef mount

....I think it is a totally safe bet that Canon will produce an EF lens Adapter for any new mirrorless body as they already do for the M bodies. Afterall, Canon have the fullest and most comprehensive range of existing lenses and also with an enviable reputation for their high quality.

If Canon don't take full advantage of 'mirrorless' technology lenses can offer they would be making themselves less future proof against their competitors. And so, I would expect the lens mount to change.

Just a reminder and this isn't even up to date :

Canonlenses.png

Last edited:
....That spec suggests to me that it would fit in very nicely in Canon's range but wouldn't it potentially reduce 6D-2 sales?

Being mirrorless I would have thought that a higher than 10fps would be easily feasible and also desirable for action and wildlife photography. But there is often a trade off between MP and FPS, at least in D-SLR technology.

I don't see Canon giving up having 2 card slots and hope this is the case < 2 card slots would definitely be an advantage over Nikon's Z spec.

I wonder what sales are like for the 6DII? I wonder if they see this as the right time to stop worrying about crippling one of their current models? If they give the ML 4K, with dual AF and dual card slots with an articulating screen, it would hurt the 6DII I would imagine. Tricky one for them.

I wonder what sales are like for the 6DII? I wonder if they see this as the right time to stop worrying about crippling one of their current models? If they give the ML 4K, with dual AF and dual card slots with an articulating screen, it would hurt the 6DII I would imagine. Tricky one for them.

....Various interviews with official Canon staff over recent years suggest to me that they are quite happy to offer a range of camera bodies which may only slightly differ from each other and which have overlapping specs and features. They are all part of an overall system. In principle it's not unlike car manufacturers offering different versions of the same basic model. Photographers in particular have differing individual needs.

The economics of overall profit for Canon is pointless for us to speculate about - It's their business and up to them. Having said that, I am ignorant about shareholder influence but hope there is very little or none! Pandering to a short term share price can potentially hold back progress. Canon are in it for the long haul.

Last edited:
To be honest I don't think the 6DII has taken off in the way Canon had hoped, it got a real slating when released and looking at it's thread there have been hardly any buyers on the forum (although I presume they have sold a few anyway ;) ). Maybe the new mirrorless could be taken as an evolvement of the 6D MKII rather than something completely new.

Last edited:
Does anyone use the ef m55-200 lens if so what is it like and how sharp is it. I have the EF100 - 400 which I know will be far superior but also far bulkier and was wondering if this is a good addition or a disappointing substitute

I have one and it's pretty good actually. Like you though I have the 100-400mm MKII and when I go out with the intention of using a long (ish) lens I like to get the best IQ I can. If you can run to it the 100-300mm L is a lot less bulky than the 100-400mm and works very well on the M bodies.

To be honest I don't think the 6DII has taken off in the way Canon had hoped, it got a real slating when released and looking at it's thread there have been hardly any buyers on the forum (although I presume they have sold a few anyway ;) ). Maybe the new mirrorless could be taken as an evolvement of the 6D MKIII rather than something completely new.

....There is a big wide world outside this forum I am glad to say and so it cannot be justifiably viewed as a true reflection of 6D-2 sales (which I think you realise).

Every single camera in the whole of Canon's range is an evolution from all the others. Just check the overlapping features between bodies and how each progress in technology gets transferred to a later model if thought appropriate. Think of Canon cameras as a huge components bin.

I realise that Robin but just going by my own experience I was ready to buy the 6D MKII on release as I wanted a cheapish full frame camera for my lenses and I was the ideal target for such a camera (crop user looking to upgrade to something better but not wanting the outlay of the 5D MKIV). To me though, if that specification list is right and they use a better sensor than the 6D II (which if 28MP its a different sensor) , it will certainly grab my interest although I too would like it bigger than the M5.

No matter what anyone else says though, if Canon made a grip for the M5 I would snap one up.

Last edited:
I have one and it's pretty good actually. Like you though I have the 100-400mm MKII and when I go out with the intention of using a long (ish) lens I like to get the best IQ I can. If you can run to it the 100-300mm L is a lot less bulky than the 100-400mm and works very well on the M bodies.

....Yes, I have the 100-400mm L II and have of course tried it on my M5 but the balance was awful (unless on a tripod) but also the M5 controls are far too small for my taste - Back Button Focus is a nightmare!

I don't know what the Minimum Focus Distance (MFD) is on the 100-300mm L but it's a valuable 3ft-ish on the 100-400mm II and the 100-400mm L II also works very well with the 1.4x III Extender mounted.

However, I tried the M5 on my 500mm F/4L II on tripod and the image quality matched my 7D-2. But, to be expected, both are trumped by my 1DX-2. Consequently I only use my M5 on my 100mm Macro and occasionally (not often) on wide angle EF lenses.

I would like to see a Canon mirrorless crop-sensor body in time but much larger in size than the M5 and closer in size to the 7D-2. The importance of ergonomics and tactile handling should never be underestimated on any machine, not just cameras.

But improving EVF is key and I don't like it much so far on any camera I have tried, not just Canon.

Does anyone use the ef m55-200 lens if so what is it like and how sharp is it. I have the EF100 - 400 which I know will be far superior but also far bulkier and was wondering if this is a good addition or a disappointing substitute

....I haven't used the 55-200mm lens but as you say, the 100-400mm L II is bound to be far superior. Yes it's bulkier but well balanced on a D-SLR body (very badly balanced on the M5). Weight isn't really a problem but I can see that bulk/size might be < It depends what subjects you are shooting (as it always does!).

Horses-for-Courses < I wish I had a £1 for every time I have posted that phrase. :D

I have the 2 kit lenses, they've been fine for me so far and I've been happy enough with the results although I would be no expert

Hi

I use the M55-200 frequently along with the M11-22 and 22mm Pamcake as my main 3 M lenses on the M5/M50 bodies.

As expected they are not in the same league as the EF100-400 but for me weight is important and the 55-200, in general use, is producing shots I regard as being more than acceptsble and, for my needs, close to those I get eith the EF 70-200 f/4. Though I balance that with the fact that I rarely print beyond 10x8. I have done some A3 prints from the 55-200 which are very nice from tripos shots.

The 11-22 also produces very nice results and the 22mm is a cracking lens.

Back to horses for courses really.

In the case of the M18-150 lens, I have now tried 5 examples but every one has gone back, 4 for severe CA, which can be corrected in PP but as the most expensive M lens Canon can get stuffed, the 5th version was mechanically crap so gave up.

My needs are a light walkabout kit and even wigh 2 bodies (M5/M50) ans Sigma 30mm f/1.4 ART and mount adapter it is an easy carry.

The 2 different battery types LP-E12 and E17 is a pain but there you go!

Hi

I use the M55-200 frequently along with the M11-22 and 22mm Pamcake as my main 3 M lenses on the M5/M50 bodies.

As expected they are not in the same league as the EF100-400 but for me weight is important and the 55-200, in general use, is producing shots I regard as being more than acceptable and, for my needs, close to those I get with the EF 70-200 f/4. Though I balance that with the fact that I rarely print beyond 10x8. I have done some A3 prints from the 55-200 which are very nice from tripod shots.

....There you have it folks > We each have individual needs. I am one of those photographers who is certainly guilty of being over-armed for my needs which are totally for viewing online and on screen devices, never printed (at least not by myself). My only excuse is that I strive to produce the best image quality I can as a personal challenge and at my age life is too short not to enjoy those efforts.

As Ansel Adams said way back in the last century and also quoted in my forum signature : [I created this as a slide in a talk I gave about how to photograph dragonflies]

Slide%202.png

I don't know where I found this, but I love it:

The amateur believes it's all about the camera
The enthusiast believes it's all about the lens
The photographer knows it's all about the light.

Gear-head syndrome is rife on here, and other photo forums to be fair, and it' gone beyond just mildly irritating.

I don't know where I found this, but I love it:

The amateur believes it's all about the camera
The enthusiast believes it's all about the lens
The photographer knows it's all about the light.

Gear-head syndrome is rife on here, and other photo forums to be fair, and it' gone beyond just mildly irritating.

....Ooops! I am clearly and beyond any doubt, an Amateur Enthusiast Photographer! :D

I absolutely believe that photography is all about the Light, the Lens, the Camera < In that order of importance.

Oh, and I am also a GearSlut and proud of it. :D

I think its all about getting the shot you want. If it takes a f/2.8 lens then a f//5.6 wont do.
If you want a clean low light image you use a camera with a better high ISO output.

It is always about the gear and how its used IMO.

Ansel always gets mentioned, but are we to assume he wouldn't have embraced current technology? He used what was available, and back then it wasn't much.

....Ooops! I am clearly and beyond any doubt, an Amateur Enthusiast Photographer! :D

I absolutely believe that photography is all about the Light, the Lens, the Camera < In that order of importance.

Oh, and I am also a GearSlut and proud of it. :D

You still put light first ;)

I think its all about getting the shot you want. If it takes a f/2.8 lens then a f//5.6 wont do.
If you want a clean low light image you use a camera with a better high ISO output.

It is always about the gear and how its used IMO.

That is still, about the light, though you think it's about the gear

Ansel always gets mentioned, but are we to assume he wouldn't have embraced current technology? He used what was available, and back then it wasn't much.

....Certainly! I am sure Ansel would be using what's available today if he lived in this era. Although he possibly might also enjoy using a plate camera for some work if he was alive now.

But the principle of his quote is that no matter how good your camera gear is, you still have to have the talent and skill to get great results.

"All the gear but no idea" is another well known expression but belonging more to the current era.

Last edited:

I would say now is the right time for canon to loosen up and to put the crippling of dslr behind them. Sony, panasonic, olympus and fuji don't have this problem of having to protect a range. Mirrorless is growing and taken off really well and I think going forward canon have a great starting point to do things really well.

Hopefully not long now to see what they are bringing to the table.

So true, but with the right gear its so much more fun and enjoyable.

....Oh I agree wholeheartedly and unreservedly! (I am a GearSlut)

Enjoying the tools you use massively contributes to getting your best results. (That's also why I buy expensive Japanese gardening tools - Buy cheap, buy twice or even thrice!)

Enjoying the tools you use massively contributes to getting your best results. (That's also why I buy expensive Japanese gardening tools - Buy cheap, buy twice or even thrice!)

I have found this to be very true with knives, buy cheapo kitchen knives and you are more likely to cut yourself, much less so with a well maintained ultra sharp blade. Again though, good technique steps in.

I could do a time lapse over 10 years :)
Haha, yeah that would be cool.

Going back to the Mirrorless debate earlier. I have my M50 because its smaller and lighter than my 5D4, but where i notice the saving more is the smaller lenses, or at least the option to use them.
What i really love about it is the features a EVF brings. Eye/face detect all the time has been a real pleasure to use. I can only do this with my 5D4 if i use LV, which isnt always ideal. Same goes for seeing an almost finished image when composing the shot.

So, my feelings are a mirrorless camera will be smaller than my 5D4, but as long as it has the features i expect from a mirrorless camera im not too bothered about the size. I would expect to only use my current lenses at the start anyway, i just cant afford to buy in to a pro lien of new lenses (if thats how things turn out).
Looking at the other mirrorless systems out there it doesn't look like the laws of physics have been broken yet, and ive yet to see any pro level equivalent lenses at a much smaller size. Im not aware of any small f/2.8 zooms for example. If the new Canon lenses are still only f/6.3 at the long end then they wont be worth getting over whats already out there, at least not for me. A small 18-150 f/4 would be fantastic, but its not going to happen. We can see what can be achieved already in the EF-S world.

Still going to get one though, especially if it has IBIS. Even a FF version with IBIS of the M50 would be enough for me.

....There you have it folks > We each have individual needs. I am one of those photographers who is certainly guilty of being over-armed for my needs which are totally for viewing online and on screen devices, never printed (at least not by myself). My only excuse is that I strive to produce the best image quality I can as a personal challenge and at my age life is too short not to enjoy those efforts.

As Ansel Adams said way back in the last century and also quoted in my forum signature : [I created this as a slide in a talk I gave about how to photograph dragonflies]

Slide%202.png

Ansel Adams is one of my heros.

Stunning body of work! No lightweigh kit for him!

I realise that Robin but just going by my own experience I was ready to buy the 6D MKII on release as I wanted a cheapish full frame camera for my lenses and I was the ideal target for such a camera (crop user looking to upgrade to something better but not wanting the outlay of the 5D MKIV). To me though, if that specification list is right and they use a better sensor than the 6D II (which if 28MP its a different sensor) , it will certainly grab my interest although I too would like it bigger than the M5.

No matter what anyone else says though, if Canon made a grip for the M5 I would snap one up.

Mike

Not Canon but how about this.....

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.co.uk/ulk/itm/253785637636

Still going to get one though, especially if it has IBIS. Even a FF version with IBIS of the M50 would be enough for me.

Not too long to wait if the rumour sites are to be believed, there has been much activity over the last 24 hours about the 5th september announcement.
Good to see that the EF-M 32/1.4 is more or less confirmed too.

Yeah, ive been reading those posts. Im not too bothered about the 32mm if its for the crop M series, as i can see me moving over to FF asap, and those new lenses do look (on paper) very nice, especially the 28-70 f/2.
We will just have to see what happens. What with Canon and Apple making announcements next month i can see me not being popular with the family.

Im not too bothered about the 32mm if its for the crop M series, as i can see me moving over to FF asap

Maybe reading too much into it, but the adaptors also being rumoured look like they could be EF-M to EF-R so the current EF-m lenses will also work on the new full frame.
The EF-M 22mm will fit on a Canon full frame body using a Nikon F to EF adaptor but wont focus or allow aperture change as there is no electrical pass through, but does fill the frame ok.
Anyway, it looks like interesting times are not far away.

Maybe reading too much into it, but the adaptors also being rumoured look like they could be EF-M to EF-R so the current EF-m lenses will also work on the new full frame.
The EF-M 22mm will fit on a Canon full frame body using a Nikon F to EF adaptor but wont focus or allow aperture change as there is no electrical pass through, but does fill the frame ok.
Anyway, it looks like interesting times are not far away.

Yeah, i would definitely get the adaptor and use my existing EF/EF-S lenses if that works.
The 32mm is just not appealing to me. I have the 22mm f/2, a 35mm f/2 I, 40mm f/2.8 and 50mm f/1.8. I just have no need for 32mm.

Definitely going to be an interesting few months ahead. I cant wait to see how well dpreview's servers cope with the naysayers :)

The other direction makes more sense.
Canon never implemented a crop mode, so don’t fit crop lenses on ff cameras.
OTOH an adaptor to fit R lenses onto M cameras is a continuation of the ef-m adaptor.

Back