Canon EOS M Series Cameras

My vote goes to fitting EF/EF-S lenses on to the new full frame mount. They did it with the M series and i hope this is what they do now.
EF-S lenses don’t cover a ff sensor.
They don’t let us fit them on a FF DSLR why change the rules for a mirrorless?

IMHO The Nikon kludge for this is stupid. The canon one makes sense, I’d bet serious money they’re not about to alter their stance.

• EF lenses for everything.
  • EFS for crop DSLR and mirrorless
  • EFM for crop mirrorless
  • EFR for ff and crop mirrorless
Would follow the obvious feasibility

EF-S lenses don’t cover a ff sensor.
They don’t let us fit them on a FF DSLR why change the rules for a mirrorless?

IMHO The Nikon kludge for this is stupid. The canon one makes sense, I’d bet serious money they’re not about to alter their stance.

• EF lenses for everything.
  • EFS for crop DSLR and mirrorless
  • EFM for crop mirrorless
  • EFR for ff and crop mirrorless
Would follow the obvious feasibility

Yeah, i didnt mean to put the EF-S bit, you are right. So thats just EF-R then.

Saying that, i use my EF-S lenses via a Kenko x1.4TC when shooting 4K on my 5D4. Using my 18-135 means i can reduce the crop factor over using my 24-70, but because of the crop factor there is no vignetting. Where there's a will there's a way lol.

The other direction makes more sense.
Canon never implemented a crop mode, so don’t fit crop lenses on ff cameras.
OTOH an adaptor to fit R lenses onto M cameras is a continuation of the ef-m adaptor.

All speculation at the moment anyway, the reality will probably be a lot less interesting, LOL.
Not sure if it is the case with all EF-S lenses, but it seems most wider angles will cover a full frame sensor, the reason for Canon not allowing them to fit is that they foul the mirror on an EF camera if not modified. That wont be a problem on a mirrorless full frame though.
On the other hand though, if it is EF-R to EF-M it will open up the M series to a bunch of pro quality L lenses in one single move.
Either way it should be a winner for many of us.

All speculation at the moment anyway, the reality will probably be a lot less interesting, LOL.
Not sure if it is the case with all EF-S lenses, but it seems most wider angles will cover a full frame sensor, the reason for Canon not allowing them to fit is that they foul the mirror on an EF camera if not modified. That wont be a problem on a mirrorless full frame though.
On the other hand though, if it is EF-R to EF-M it will open up the M series to a bunch of pro quality L lenses in one single move.
Either way it should be a winner for many of us.
The M series can already use all EF pro quality lenses. I already use a Sigma Art 35 and a 135L on mine (though not that often)

There was nothing at all ‘interesting’ about my speculation, it’s more or less exactly how Canon have behaved up to now, and on the rumoured lens list is a R to M adaptor. Just like the EF m adaptor was on the list for the M mount as soon as it was launched. It’s too easy to do to not do it, because we’ve had an all electronic mount for 30 years.

Afaik the wide end of all EFS lenses will vignette on a FF camera, why design a lens with a larger image circle than is needed? It makes no sense.

There would have to be a crop mode for EF-S lenses to work decently. Just like Sony have, you can use Ef-S lenses on an A7III, in crop mode, and they seem to work ok.

There would have to be a crop mode for EF-S lenses to work decently. Just like Sony have, you can use Ef-S lenses on an A7III, in crop mode, and they seem to work ok.

Nikon do it too, I’ll bet Canon won’t. Apart from anything else stretching the IQ of a Canon sensor is tantamount to commercial suicide.

I saw an M50 in Wilkinson's window today and the body is a creamy shiny colour like 1950's kitchen devices ... looks good!
Anyone got a non-black M? How does the surface hold up to scratches and wear?
How's the M50 with old manual-focus lenses?

Yes I have seen those thanks, just a shame Canon don't make a proper grip with extra battery capacity. I may well get one (Amazon sell them as well) but will wait and see what is announced next week first just incase I have to sell the M5.

The only grip-type accessory that Canon sell for the M series is their range of half body jackets. Which started with the original M body.

Never been my thing.

The add on battery grip is still missing although there are 3rd party rechargeable packs for the original M body but were modified flash power packs.

The FF venture might bring a ‘pro’ power approach but an add on power pack for ‘’pro’ wedding work is surely a must?

I made do with a arca cage for my original M body which included a finger grip. Was comfortable and balanced, in the main, with L lenses.

Interesting times are coming.

Yes I bought a Chinese knockoff on Ebay for the M5 ... does make the grip slightly easier to hang on to but makes the camera look a bit strange IMO.

I get where you are coming from!

I like the look and feel of the M5 and M50 ‘out of the box’ but for a walkabout I have the M6 with the 22mm pancake and it is amazing how many times I get asked about it.

Steve

Are any of you contemplating upgrading to the FF ML from Canon? Or sicking with the APSC?

Are any of you contemplating upgrading to the FF ML from Canon? Or sicking with the APSC?

I’m pretty sure most of us have canon DSLRs too, which makes M users different to most other brands mirrorless users.

I think a switch up to ff will depend greatly on the camera, a mirrorless 6dII might have me reaching for the Visacard. But I’m in no hurry, the 7d, 6d, M5 combo is pretty good.

I’m pretty sure most of us have canon DSLRs too, which makes M users different to most other brands mirrorless users.

I think a switch up to ff will depend greatly on the camera, a mirrorless 6dII might have me reaching for the Visacard. But I’m in no hurry, the 7d, 6d, M5 combo is pretty good.

I 'had' my eye on the M series, but this announcement has me re-thinking. If I bought into the APSC M line now, I might regret it as the FF version, if you like, will very possibly not work with the few current M lenses, and may also have more of what I want - like IBIS. Sensor size is actually the last thing I look to weirdly, I mean, I'm on M43 atm so that says it all. I always feel I can get the end result I need regardless of that. It's everything else surrounding it I look to improve. The APSC M cameras entice me simply because there's some Canon EF and EF-S lenses that are cheap and I'd like to have a go at. Nothing more really. I'd miss IBIS terribly though, even if the sensor would allow a bit more freedom ISO-wise

It will be on my radar for sure but..... it will have to be a meaningful and beneficial tool.

If Canon take a route map that leads into dead ends of crippled functionality or decide ghat they want a fast return on their investment, then who knows?

The simple fact is that the ‘Pro’ users will have their business hats on and that means the equation between investment balanced against cost/benefit and cost of ownership - (use of current peripherals).

The serious amateur and part time semi pro have similar needs but, again, price and cost of ownership are a basic.

For me, the M series weight balanced out the restrictions of my changed and changing health limitations. I can no longer cram a 400 backpack with a heavyweight D kit along with a tent etc and disappear for a couple of days. If the FF does not compromise my limitations ghen yes I will be looking at it.

Steve

It will be on my radar for sure but..... it will have to be a meaningful and beneficial tool.

If Canon take a route map that leads into dead ends of crippled functionality or decide ghat they want a fast return on their investment, then who knows?

The simple fact is that the ‘Pro’ users will have their business hats on and that means the equation between investment balanced against cost/benefit and cost of ownership - (use of current peripherals).

The serious amateur and part time semi pro have similar needs but, again, price and cost of ownership are a basic.

For me, the M series weight balanced out the restrictions of my changed and changing health limitations. I can no longer cram a 400 backpack with a heavyweight D kit along with a tent etc and disappear for a couple of days. If the FF does not compromise my limitations ghen yes I will be looking at it.

Steve

I'm with you on the health side, I ditched FX gear years back because after back surgery it was a chore, a pain, literally, to cart around 10KG of gear just to take some simple photos for pleasure. I had decent money at one point, and I thought buying a tonne of FF gear would please me no end, and it did for a while, but then it felt cumbersome and weirdly restricting. I'd look at all this gear and think 'F me, I only want to go down the river and take a few shots' :D I was doing the odd paid gig too, which did help pay for a lot of it, did some weddings, christenings, parties, family portraits and music gigs and enjoyed all of it. But that got too much too, some forget how physical these gigs can be, especially if you have any ailments.

So no, I never want to go back to bulky FF gear, if I did happen to get a FF body I would be looking to light primes mostly, there really isn't that big a difference if you go that route. Mirrorless is making this much more possible, not because the bodies are smaller and lighter - which they are, but because the overall package is much lighter in general. Every kg counts! :)

Unlike many on here who can eye these things up and simply decide on specs, budget is a huge factor for me also. If not, I'd probably already own a Sony A7III and some snazzy Zeiss primes. The rumors suggest that Canon are aiming for the mid-range, and it will be a fair amount cheaper than the Sony or Nikon offerings. And it will be a lot more budget friendly if it turns out to be the case that the mount is backward compatible. I have no problem paying up for a reasonably priced good camera and just grabbing a 50mm or some adapted glass until I can save up for better. I've done it before. I also have no problem selling off the kit I have to make it happen.

Hmmm ... I wish they'd all stop trying to look the same.

It’s the way the world works now.

There are so few good looking cameras that it really doesn’t matter that much.

Though I appreciate it’s a matter of personal taste, I don’t mind that the M5 is pig ugly compared to the Fuji it’s replaced, because it’s a better camera for me*

*i know I could get a better Fuji than the M5 but I like the fact I don’t have to spend a grand on a couple of decent lenses that I already own.

Though I appreciate it’s a matter of personal taste, I don’t mind that the M5 is pig ugly compared to the Fuji it’s replaced, because it’s a better camera for me*

*i know I could get a better Fuji than the M5 but I like the fact I don’t have to spend a grand on a couple of decent lenses that I already own.

Looks don't matter much, or much less people would shoot Sony, but they are all looking the same lately. I always thought Fuji camera looks were way over rated tbh, I used to look at mine and wonder why this 'Fuji looks' thing, was a thing! But at least they have a look, they are individual, same with Olympus. Just first glance at this Canon, though we know it's a mock up, my first thought was that it looks no different really to the Z cams, apart from no Fn buttons on front

Funny how one can get burnt out with some makes,I used to love Fuji's,still love the look but I can't ever see me owning one again.

Last edited:
I am bit shocked that the FF canon mirrorless wont be the same mount as this?

bizare considering the ef mount was made for crop and ff sensor and now we have two seperate mounts for there crop and ff mirrorless

I am bit shocked that the FF canon mirrorless wont be the same mount as this?

bizare considering the ef mount was made for crop and ff sensor and now we have two seperate mounts for there crop and ff mirrorless
It can't be the same as the current mounts. The EOS-M mount is only designed to cover the image circle of a crop-sensor, and the EF mount is designed to put the lens at the distance from the sensor required to clear the mirror box. If they used the same mount as either of those, there would be confusion over which lenses could be used. They *could* do what Sony does and use the EOS-M mount, and when a crop-sensor lens was mounted it would crop the image. But that's messy and confusing.

I know all the hype at the moment is about the upcoming full frame mirrorless, but I’m looking at shrinking my camera kit and won’t be able to afford the new kit, so looking at the M6. However one thing that I haven’t been able to determine is if I can do back button AF on the M6. If so, is it in a comfortable/ergonomic position?

the processing really suits the image, is that a pre-set or one off setting? would you mind sharing what pp you did please

Hi Nico,

I've made myself some presets in lightroom for different situations, Landscape, Street, Architecture, Tones etc . I tend to test and try various ones and then use the one that's best suited and slightly adjust that works the best, so i'm not sure what I have done on this one TBH!

It can't be the same as the current mounts. The EOS-M mount is only designed to cover the image circle of a crop-sensor, and the EF mount is designed to put the lens at the distance from the sensor required to clear the mirror box. If they used the same mount as either of those, there would be confusion over which lenses could be used. They *could* do what Sony does and use the EOS-M mount, and when a crop-sensor lens was mounted it would crop the image. But that's messy and confusing.

Confusing?

Sony has 2 mounts. A and E.

Canon now has 4. EF, efs, efm and eos R.

Yep. 100% going to upgrade, and probably sell my 5D4 to do it. Not straight away though, but possibly by the end of the year.
Planning to use my existing lenses on it, but i said that about my M50 when i first got it.

Confusing?

Sony has 2 mounts. A and E.

Canon now has 4. EF, efs, efm and eos R.
isn't there an apsc "e-mount" as well-I am sure I remember there being a range of e-mounts not for full frame use

Hi Nico,

I've made myself some presets in lightroom for different situations, Landscape, Street, Architecture, Tones etc . I tend to test and try various ones and then use the one that's best suited and slightly adjust that works the best, so i'm not sure what I have done on this one TBH!
well it works a treat for that shot(y)

Back