Canon EOS R Series Cameras

At last, the R5 is out! It's what I've been waiting for!
Except.....£4k+??? That fair ruined my day let me tell you.
I am now wondering about a 5DSR with a EOS R as a lightweight/backup, or jumping ship to Nikon seeing as the Z7 is more realistically priced and Fringer do an adapter for EF lenses. Or a Fuji GFX.
I expected the 2ndhand price of the EOS R to bomb after the R5 was released but the R5 price is so high I suspect R prices may remain fairly stable.
Am I missing something or is the price of the new Canons a bit off the scale?

At last, the R5 is out! It's what I've been waiting for!
Except.....£4k+??? That fair ruined my day let me tell you.
I am now wondering about a 5DSR with a EOS R as a lightweight/backup, or jumping ship to Nikon seeing as the Z7 is more realistically priced and Fringer do an adapter for EF lenses. Or a Fuji GFX.
I expected the 2ndhand price of the EOS R to bomb after the R5 was released but the R5 price is so high I suspect R prices may remain fairly stable.
Am I missing something or is the price of the new Canons a bit off the scale?

It goes hand in hand with a £3k 28-70/2.0 or the 85/1.2 RF.

I guess sales are down, but R&D hasn't gone down, so they have to adjust or go bust.

It goes hand in hand with a £3k 28-70/2.0 or the 85/1.2 RF.

I guess sales are down, but R&D hasn't gone down, so they have to adjust or go bust.

Sony also just released a nearly 3k 12-24mm. Re the R5, what offers full readout 8k at 30 and 4k at 120 in all AF modes and will likely take excellent stills for £4k? You'll be looking at much more expensive cine cams that can't do decent stills. The video side is bumping the price.

Last edited:
Sony also just released a nearly 3k 12-24mm. Re the R5, what offers full readout 8k at 30 and 4k at 120 in all AF modes and will likely take excellent stills for £4k? You'll be looking at much more expensive cine cams that can't do decent stills. The video side is bumping the price.
This. Which is why I won't be buying it. When a stills-oriented one appears, hold me back.

Shoot in 8k RAW at 30fps and pull stills from it.

Talk about machine gun :p

I would say Sony are having mini panic attacks right now.
Na there fine. They have more lenses and third party support. Plus this camera besides the video mode ain't the more better than what Sony has.

Competition is good though.

Its nikon that needs to be worried. Not Sony.

Over to you nikon

Na there fine. They have more lenses and third party support. Plus this camera besides the video mode ain't the more better than what Sony has.

Competition is good though.

Its nikon that needs to be worried. Not Sony.

Over to you nikon

Yet, here you are ... I don't see many Nikon FF-ML users in here pondering.

I'm here because @twist mentioned me lol

Still, you're pondering. And if you count Canon's vast back log of EF lenses, and no reason not to unless you're a right glass snob, then where are you getting the more lenses? from what I've seen the biggest moan section when it comes to third party support is most defintely the Sony thread ... in fact the most moans in general, but that's another story I couldn't be arsed with. I'm betting a LOT of current Sony users will switch without blinking, the hardcore will only stay because they're too invested

And because there is no nikon users ;)

They just tend to be more discreet. The most boring thread on this whole forum is the Sony thread, doesn't stop it mototing on, but hey, just my opinion, about as useless as yours on Nikon users. Watch that Sony thread dwindle as Canon progress I say ;)

Last edited:
Still, you're pondering. And if you count Canon's vast back log of EF lenses, and no reason not to unless you're a right glass snob, then where are you getting the more lenses? from what I've seen the biggest moan section when it comes to third party support is most defintely the Sony thread ... in fact the most moans in general, but that's another story I couldn't be arsed with. I'm betting a LOT of current Sony users will switch without blinking, the hardcore will only stay because they're too invested
Canons ef lenses don't function as well as native.

That's why canon are releasing native lenses.

Ef adapted lens is a stop gap

They just tend to be more discreet. The most boring thread on this whole forum is the Sony thread, doesn't stop it mototing on, but hey, just my opinion, about as useless as yours on Nikon users. Watch that Sony thread dwindle as Canon progress I say ;)
The most boring thing is people being fanboys of a damn camera company.

I buy whatever suits my needs.

I'm only a fanboy of arsenal football club lol

apart from a tele-lens I wouldn't want to adapt anything else though its almost cheap enough to buy one adapter per lens.
But natively they have most things I'd want though they are larger than I like and price points I cannot afford atm.

Anyway will keep a close eye on the R5. Looks like a great body with everything I wanted it to do. Now just hoping it has competitive dynamic range and ISO performance.

Last edited:
Canons ef lenses don't function as well as native.

That's why canon are releasing native lenses.

Ef adapted lens is a stop gap

EF lenses function as well (with the benefits or MILC tech) on RF cameras as EF lenses function on the DSLR cameras they were designed for. Dont confuse Sony adapting of EF lenses with Canons.

Last edited:
EF lenses function as well (with the benefits or MILC tech) on RF cameras as EF lenses function on the DSLR cameras they were designed for. Dont confuse Sony adapting of EF lenses with Canons.
Either way I'm not interested [emoji6][emoji51]

even with telephotos inc. ones from sigma?

I think @addicknchips had an issue with a couple 3rd party, whether thats down to lens firmware or not I dont know. He has tried some older 3rd party stuff and they were perfect, my Sigmas (35/85) are perfect, the 35 is way better than when I used it adapted on a Sony, I was pleasantly surprised that the lenses work so well, I was also sceptical till I tried it.

What tele are you looking at?

Last edited:
I think @addicknchips had an issue with a couple 3rd party, whether thats down to lens firmware or not I dont know. He has tried some older 3rd party stuff and they were perfect, my Sigmas (35/85) are perfect, the 35 is way better than when I used it adapted on a Sony, I was pleasantly surprised that the lenses work so well, I was also sceptical till I tried it.

What tele are you looking at?

some like EF 500mm with TCs or sigma 120-300mm S with TCs.

my current EF Lenses reads:

sigma 12-24 f4
sigma 50mm f1.4
sigma 135mm f1.8
canon 70-200mm f2.8 ii
sigma 150-600 c

ive also owned and used adapted the sigma 105mm os macro, canon 17-40 f4, sigma 70-200mm f2.8 os, tamron 70-210 f4, tamron 24-70 f2.8 g2,

i think thats everything. only issues ive had with any of them are the tamron 70-210 and the big sigma. this possibly is down to fw, but without the tap in console i hadn't tried to check. everything else has been spot on.

my current EF Lenses reads:

sigma 12-24 f4
sigma 50mm f1.4
sigma 135mm f1.8
canon 70-200mm f2.8 ii
sigma 150-600 c

ive also owned and used adapted the sigma 105mm os macro, canon 17-40 f4, sigma 70-200mm f2.8 os, tamron 70-210 f4, tamron 24-70 f2.8 g2,

i think thats everything. only issues ive had with any of them are the tamron 70-210 and the big sigma. this possibly is down to fw, but without the tap in console i hadn't tried to check. everything else has been spot on.

well lenses like the big sigma i.e. telephotos is what I am interested in.... not really bothered about the rest tbh I wouldn't adapt for them.
I cannot afford teleprimes on Sony. But the EF ones are plenty and affordable in used market.

well lenses like the big sigma i.e. telephotos is what I am interested in.... not really bothered about the rest tbh I wouldn't adapt for them.
I cannot afford teleprimes on Sony. But the EF ones are plenty and affordable in used market.

I couldnt believe how cheap the big white primes are used.

I couldnt believe how cheap the big white primes are used.

exactly and they are constantly on offer from one shop or another. If they adapt well onto R5, a winner right there for me.

The there is replacing my trio (16-35GM, 24-105G and 70-180/2.8) which will cost an arm and a leg and possibly a kidney.

Either way I'm not interested [emoji6][emoji51]

Probably not. I don't see much in these new Canons for happy Sony users. But for millions of Canon DSLR users like me, who have been waiting (and waiting) for years, now we really have something to move up to.

Canon has also played an ace card with the new super-teles, and a timely one with Olympus' problems. M4/3 has found a solid niche among wildlifers who need the reach but without the massive weight and huge cost of those big white primes - lots of impressive evidence on the Olympus owners thread.

On the face of it, 600/800mm at f11 doesn't sound very appealing, but in 'equivalence' terms a 400mm lens at f5.6 on M4/3 (and say 1/1000sec at ISO400) is the same as 800mm at f11 on full-frame (1/1000sec at ISO1600). Same framing, same depth-of-field, same shutter speed and shake resistance, and same noise (same total photon capture). On a DSLR, that would still be impractical because the AF wouldn't work and the optical viewfinder would be too dark, but with mirrorless the on-sensor AF works just fine and electronic viewfinders automatically compensate for lost brightness (y)

Probably not. I don't see much in these new Canons for happy Sony users. But for millions of Canon DSLR users like me, who have been waiting (and waiting) for years, now we really have something to move up to.

Canon has also played an ace card with the new super-teles, and a timely one with Olympus' problems. M4/3 has found a solid niche among wildlifers who need the reach but without the massive weight and huge cost of those big white primes - lots of impressive evidence on the Olympus owners thread.

On the face of it, 600/800mm at f11 doesn't sound very appealing, but in 'equivalence' terms a 400mm lens at f5.6 on M4/3 (and say 1/1000sec at ISO400) is the same as 800mm at f11 on full-frame (1/1000sec at ISO1600). Same framing, same depth-of-field, same shutter speed and shake resistance, and same noise (same total photon capture). On a DSLR, that would still be impractical because the AF wouldn't work and the optical viewfinder would be too dark, but with mirrorless the on-sensor AF works just fine and electronic viewfinders automatically compensate for lost brightness (y)

I can see the thinking behind the f11 teleprimes but in the UK I struggle with f5.6/6.3 so any less and its not really ideal.
pretty much the same reason I never got along with the old minolta 500mm f8 mirror lens (ok the bokeh is kinda annoying too) but its sharp enough and very small. But f8 really sucks.

Last edited:
exactly and they are constantly on offer from one shop or another. If they adapt well onto R5, a winner right there for me.

The there is replacing my trio (16-35GM, 24-105G and 70-180/2.8) which will cost an arm and a leg and possibly a kidney.

why not use ef adapted?

I can see the thinking behind the f11 teleprimes but in the UK I struggle with f5.6/6.3 so any less and its not really ideal.
pretty much the same reason I never got along with the old minolta 500mm f8 mirror lens (ok the bokeh is kinda annoying too) but its sharp enough and very small. But f8 really sucks.

Maybe not ideal, but Olympus and M4/3 users have proved that it works very well for a lot of long lens shooters. People like me who come from film and still believe that ISO400 is as far as we dare go for good image quality, we just need to recalibrate our prejudices and give that ISO a proper spanking. It's bluddy amazing these days :oops: :$:)

why not use ef adapted?

Bigger, unbalanced and crappier (in case of 24-105). No thanks.
Adapting EF lenses for most part isn't great IMO. The only place it makes any sense IMO at least is for telephotos where the lenses are massive regardless and a lot cheaper or options don't exist.

Last edited:
Bigger, unbalanced and crappier (in case of 24-105). No thanks.
Adapting EF lenses for most part isn't great IMO. The only place it makes any sense IMO at least is for telephotos where the lenses are massive regardless and a lot cheaper or options don't exist.

fair enough. canons native RF mount 24-105 f4 is like £600 grey

fair enough. canons native RF mount 24-105 f4 is like £600 grey

Indeed.
Too bad RF 15-35 and 70-200 aren't. Though I don't need those immediately.
I can replace the samyang 85mm f1.4 like for like so that's good.
And my laowa 100 macro is EF version anyway.
Any way the body isn't even out yet, let see....

Last edited:
Indeed.
Too bad RF 15-35 and 70-200 aren't. Though I don't need those immediately.
I can replace the samyang 85mm f1.4 like for like so that's good.
And my laowa 100 macro is EF version anyway.
Any way the body isn't even out yet, let see....

But those are the same or cheaper than FE. Isn't there a ef laowa?

The most boring thing is people being fanboys of a damn camera company.

I buy whatever suits my needs.

I'm only a fanboy of arsenal football club lol

Agreed, I'd buy a camera made by Whirlpool if it suited my needs :D

Arsenal ... eurgh ... kidding, I don't support anyone, used to say 'whoever my money is on' but I don't gamble no more either ;)

I don't get the anti-adapting lens thing whatsoever, if it works and works well, what's the issue? I mean, is it some mind block or somthing? [asking in general not to you johhny] that you'll somehow feel it's not right if you're using an adapter? Is it an OCD thing? Don't know about anyone else but for me end results matter most, not how my gear looks

Last edited:
Back