Canon EOS R Series Cameras

We have seen quite a few videos posted on YouTube about the EOS R but I feel that this one gives a straightforward overview about its handling. The style of presentation is quite dry but a welcome relief from some of the others who are more hyper or trying to be entertaining. At first I thought he wasn't going to find any faults at all but he does as the video unfolds and as an EOS R user I agree with him except that I am personally not bothered by only having one card slot.

Anyway, here it is :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyyMesFXF4

Can anyone help ?

I’m a left eye shooter. I like to change the point of focus while looking through the viewfinder.
How easy/difficult is it using only the touchscreen.
Could be a deal breaker.

Can anyone help ?

I’m a left eye shooter. I like to change the point of focus while looking through the viewfinder.
Could be a deal breaker.

Trevor,

I use the touchscreen to move the focus point around and it is dead easy, quick to do and accurate. I’m a right eye shooter, so have the RHS only of the screen set up for this so my nose (if it touches the screen) doesn’t move the focus point about. It’s certainly different to using a joystick, and I haven’t fully mastered it yet, but I see no reason why it can’t be just as quick and easy as the joystick in use.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Trevor,

I use the touchscreen to move the focus point around and it is dead easy, quick to do and accurate. I’m a right eye shooter, so have the RHS only of the screen set up for this so my nose (if it touches the screen) doesn’t move the focus point about. It’s certainly different to using a joystick, and I haven’t fully mastered it yet, but I see no reason why it can’t be just as quick and easy as the joystick in use.

Hope this helps.

Simon.

Thanks Simon

Can anyone help ?

Could be a deal breaker.

.... You can program left or right hand side of the screen to be sensitive for a finger to move around the focus point (moves it to anywhere you want very extensively). If you shoot with Back Button Focus your righthand fingers will already be busy and so use your lefthand for it.

Personally I haven't got on well with it and have switched it off but I never move the AF point about anyway, unlike most photographers do. I always aim and shoot the camera the same way as a gun with crosshair sights - It's what I'm used to. I wasn't getting on with it because I kept moving the AF point unintentionally. Hitting the delete trash can icon button always returns the AF point to the centre but again I prefer not to have to keep doing that and I lost a few shot opportunities because of it.

The compass-point 'dial' is easy to use but I have it programmed for Exposure Compensation.

The only way you will know if it works for you or not is to try it out - It suits some photographers and not others. Same as the Multi-Function Bar.

Last edited:
Seeing as people are talking about the ergonomics of the EOS R, and especially Trevor asking about left eye shooting, I saw this video a week or so ago discussing the design and ergonomics of the EOS R. I think prospective owners should have a look for an idea of how the choices Canon have made are different to their, and others, DSLR designs (if that is indeed what they may be used to).

Canon are obviously not simply copying their DSLR designs and taking away the mirror box, and so are trying different things. It will at least inform people what is different and what to check to more quickly see if Canon's design choices are working for them.

View: https://youtu.be/1-T60nkpHco

We have seen quite a few videos posted on YouTube about the EOS R but I feel that this one gives a straightforward overview about its handling. The style of presentation is quite dry but a welcome relief from some of the others who are more hyper or trying to be entertaining. At first I thought he wasn't going to find any faults at all but he does as the video unfolds and as an EOS R user I agree with him except that I am personally not bothered by only having one card slot.

Anyway, here it is :

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyyMesFXF4
I've just got around to watching this vid and it does seem a fair review of the EOS R.

But, a couple of things jumped out at me. The RF mount is no larger than the EF mount, the things that have changed has been the bayonet connection, the number of electronic connections available for the newer lenses, which potentially opens up new possibilities, and the flange distance of the sensor. The mount has not increased in size. Also, "at the top of the camera, somewhat unique to Canon, is the LCD screen". Mmm, no the Fujifilm GFX 50S had what looks like a very similar screen in 2016, and both the Nikon Z cameras have something very similar too. :rolleyes:

I understand that his experience seems to have been with Canon, Fuji and Sony cameras, as these are what he was referring to with design and ergonomics, but he must have had a look at the Nikon Z's design, :thinking: if not the Fujifilm GFX 50S with regard to the top LCD (or is it OLED) screen. ;) :rolleyes:

Seeing as people are talking about the ergonomics of the EOS R, and especially Trevor asking about left eye shooting, I saw this video a week or so ago discussing the design and ergonomics of the EOS R. I think prospective owners should have a look for an idea of how the choices Canon have made are different to their, and others, DSLR designs (if that is indeed what they may be used to).

Canon are obviously not simply copying their DSLR designs and taking away the mirror box, and so are trying different things. It will at least inform people what is different and what to check to more quickly see if Canon's design choices are working for them.

.... I am gobsmacked! This video is probably the most inaccurate about the EOS R I have seen!

He starts off by stating that "success for a camera's usability" has "3 rules" :
"1 - Increase number of options given to user" < The EOS R has greatly increased the number of options. Has he not explored how it can be customised!
"2 - Reduce number of button presses" < The EOS R has done exactly this!

I totally disagree with him about the On/Off switch - I find it the easiest I have ever experienced to date on any camera. He completely misses the point of the R being able to more easily change mode while still remaining in the viewfinder.

He is also totally wrong in what he says about setting ISO and Exposure Compensation - Each can be extremely easily set by just one action but he has chosen to demonstrate a much longer way of doing it. His brain hasn't worked out that the Control Ring can be programmed for ISO (working the same for both EF and RF lenses) and the quick selection dial for Exposure Compensation.

I remember watching a video this guy made about autofocus a few years ago - That was misleading rubbish too. Instead of having an intelligent open mind his brain only works on his rigid presets.

Daft video. He's well out on a limb there and has simply glossed over the fact that Canon has switched to touch-screen centric control - which invalidates the whole basis of his button-centric criticisms. It's a big change, but we're all smartphone users and most buyers will be very happy with it.

Vloggers - crap for clicks :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Daft video. He's well out on a limb there and has simply glossed over the fact that Canon has switched to touch-screen centric control - which invalidates the whole basis of his button-centric criticisms. It's a big change, but we're all smartphone users and most buyers will be very happy with it.

Vloggers - crap for clicks :rolleyes:
Well he sucked me in. :eek: :LOL:

I did think that he may have gotten wrong the multi step way to change modes. I do think that left eye shooter may have a problem with controlling the AF via the touch screen, and is something they should try out first if possible just in case.

The touchscreen approach may work well for a some people, but one of the reasons a lot of people like the higher end DSLR's is for the quick access to functions via buttons. Yes, some don't like the size and weight, but the quick access to important, often changed settings, can only be a good thing, and if you offer that via dedicated or programmable buttonsdials/switches, and a touch screen, then you cater for more people feeling comfortable using the camera whichever way they choose.

And btw, speak for yourself when you say "we're all smartphone users". I'm not. ;) :D

His brain hasn't worked out that the Control Ring can be programmed for ISO (working the same for both EF and RF lenses) and the quick selection dial for Exposure Compensation.
Surely the control ring option for EF/EFS lenses is only with the adapter with the control ring! :thinking: Not everyone is going to have that.

I totally disagree with him about the On/Off switch - I find it the easiest I have ever experienced to date on any camera.
Not being an EOS R user, having to use the left hand to turn the camera on and off seems a poor bit of design to me. That switch seems an area of the camera that could have done something else, maybe even kept it as a mode dial and used the right hand wheel for something else.

For me, being a mainly Nikon user, I think the on/off button integrated around the shutter button is the best design. You can pick the camera up and turn it on with one hand. I think Sony do something similar, if not the same, though on the Nikon's it sometimes also has an extra spring loaded position that also wakes up the camera and activates the rear screen. And on the cameras that have the option, illuminate the rear buttons too. If we all liked the same things there would be one layout of buttons, or not, ;) on a different contoured body (or not contoured eh Sony users ;) :LOL:).

It will be interesting when Canon do a higher end model, how much stays the same, but then even whether they use the same body which may slightly evolved like Sony, or as Nikon have done, at least with their first two models, used the same body. That is obviously a way to maximise research/design/production costs, as is having fewer buttons/dials.

Thanks for your help chaps.
I’ll have to get my hands on one to assess whether it’ll work for me.
I’m really comfortable with the joystick approach.

Ergonomics and handling is such a personal thing, so the only way to know is to get your hands on one and have a good play with it (y)

Cheers,

Simon.

Must admit I’m not a touch screen user. I prefer to customise and use buttons. Rear screen is for checking focus and I use a button to zoom in to 100%. It’s so engrained into me now that I don’t even remember that the 5D4 and D850 has a touch screen until I accidentally move something.

I would also have to agree that Nikons on/off switch around the shutter button is a far better design than anything Canon has come up with. Having said that Nikon’s personal menu system on the D850 is rubbish in comparison to Canons.

Having the ability to choose whether you use a touch screen to control the camera or buttons is a must for me. Which is why the R falls down on its customisation and lack of/position of buttons for my use.

All the Canon cameras I have owned, except now the 1DX-2, have the On/Off on the top left and I much prefer because my right hand is either busy on the shooting controls or gripping the body with a big lens mounted (wildlife) - I don't use a neck strap and only mount on my Peak Design across-the-chest strap when parking a camera or lens (all Arca-Swiss plated) for hands free.

I leave my D-SLR camera switched on while I am out but not quite so much with the R - It depends entirely on the circumstances of the subjects I'm shooting.

I don't use any of the top buttons on my 1DX-2 as I can never find the one I would want and I need to keep my forefinger on the shutter button or top control wheel (set the same for aperture in my case on both 1DX-2 and R bodies).

I don't use the touch screen at all while shooting except if using the remote (either wired or wireless) but it is extremely useful and fast when I do. Sometimes it can be the fastest way to change settings while not in the viewfinder. Its quality and sensitivity is superb.

The main criticism I have of the R handling is that I would prefer the AF-ON button to be positioned just a fraction more to the left because I Back Button Focus with it. I look very much forward to a mirrorless version of the 1DX (1RX?) with the controls which going mirrorless offer.

WYSIWYG (What You See Is What You Get through the viewfinder) rules for me hands down!

But as Simon says, ergonomics and handling is such a personal thing.

Last edited:
Surely the control ring option for EF/EFS lenses is only with the adapter with the control ring! :thinking: Not everyone is going to have that.

.... Now that the Control Ring Adapter is available, any EOS R + EF/EF-S lens user not buying one is seriously missing a trick. It transforms the EOS R and is a no-brainer of the first order. I say this with the experience of owning and using the EOS R with both the standard and the Control Ring adapters. My standard one is back in its box ready to be sold if/when I trade up my EOS R body.

Managed a full day out in the Lake District on Saturday to give my EOS R a good work out. Here's the first photograph I've processed taken just as the sun started to peak above the fells surrounding Derwent Water.

Derwent Water Dawn by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

I continue to be really pleased with the output from the camera. Battery life was excellent, and one battery lasted just about the whole day. The complete lack of noise in multi minute long exposures at ISO100 (with no in camera LE noise reduction) is fantastic compared to the G9 I was using, where I would always have LE noise reduction switched on.

I continue to really, really impressed with the camera.

Cheers,

Simon.

I have a slightly different impression of my EOS R . This is a reflection of me not being sufficiently up to speed with the layout and functions of the controls which became apparent when trying to use it in anger. I have just returned from a trip to Alaska to photograph bald eagles. I had with me the new R and my trusted 1DX mk2. I always intended to shoot mainly with the 1DX but thought I would give the new camera a decent try out. It soon became apparent that I was not the master of the controls and found them slow to access and did not find BBF to be a good with the touch screen focus point positioning, I would prefer a joystick, however that may change with practise. There is little doubt that the focus tracking is nowhere near as good as the 1DX and the keeper rate was low enough for me to abandon it and swop to the 1DX very quickly. In fairness this may be because had paid a fair amount out to go on the trip and I wanted to be sure of successful shots and did not persevere with the R. I have no complaints with the image quality, especially with static shots and have no regrets about buying it as it will probably replace my 1DX for landscapes. The moral of this story is to get thoroughly aquatinted with the camera before use (good job I have no clients to please). I do feel that the adapter with the control ring may improve usability.
771A5027.jpg by Gordon Ford, on Flickr

Last edited:
Gorgeous landscape pictures, Simon, especially the evening one. I have to ask what on earth that strange 'log' sculpture(?) thingy is in the foreground of your early morning picture #256?

I have a slightly different impression of my EOS R . This is a reflection of me not being sufficiently up to speed with the layout and functions of the controls which became apparent when trying to use it in anger. I have just returned from a trip to Alaska to photograph bald eagles. I had with me the new R and my trusted 1DX mk2. I always intended to shoot mainly with the 1DX but thought I would give the new camera a decent try out. It soon became apparent that I was not the master of the controls and found them slow to access and did not find BBF to be a good with the touch screen focus point positioning, I would prefer a joystick, however that may change with practise. There is little doubt that the focus tracking is nowhere near as good as the 1DX and the keeper rate was low enough for me to abandon it and swop to the 1DX very quickly. In fairness this may be because had paid a fair amount out to go on the trip and I wanted to be sure of successful shots and did not persevere with the R. I have no complaints with the image quality, especially with static shots and have no regrets about buying it as it will probably replace my 1DX for landscapes. The moral of this story is to get thoroughly aquatinted with the camera before use (good job I have no clients to please). I do feel that the adapter with the control ring may improve usability.

.... Gordon, your experiences are very similar to mine : The R is simply not a RELIABLE camera for wildlife unless a fairly static subject, whereas the 1DX-2 is always reliable and that's what makes the difference when shooting action.

However, what Simon's images (and my landscape of Portland too) demonstrate is how excellent the R is for subjects like landscapes. I reckon it will be good for people portraits too.

I am off to the Forest of Dean for a couple of days later this week and will be taking the R with me but the 1DX-2 is what I'll be mainly relying on, obviously depending on what wildlife subjects present themselves.

Last edited:
In-depth test is up on DPReview. They weren't exactly bowled over.

https://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canon-eos-r
I saw that earlier and just came back to post the link if someone hadn't already. I was surprised how negative they seem to be. :thinking: They look to have issues with the ergonomics, and with pretty much all of their staff that have used it.

Those that have it seem to like it though. ;)

That lake district shot - gorgeous light. Question: does it have a live bulb function like the Olympus?

That lake district shot - gorgeous light. Question: does it have a live bulb function like the Olympus?

Thanks :). No, it doesn't. As far as I know, that function is exclusive to Olympus cameras at the moment.

Simon.

One 'ergonomic' thing I've found with the EOS R that I don't like is the position of the diopter adjustment wheel. It sits quite proud of the viewfinder hump, and is easily caught and moved even if it is quite stiff. The simple solution for me has been to change the layout of my camera bag a little, as that was where I was catching it. First time on any camera I've had it happen. Not really a problem I guess, but something to be aware of.

Cheers,

Simon.

I saw that earlier and just came back to post the link if someone hadn't already. I was surprised how negative they seem to be. :thinking: They look to have issues with the ergonomics, and with pretty much all of their staff that have used it.

Those that have it seem to like it though. ;)

.... Having used mine quite a bit now I agree with them about two ergonomic issues :

- The awkwardness of using my lefthand thumb to move the AF point around on the touchscreen. However, for ONE SHOT I very very rarely move the central AF point on any of my cameras anyway and otherwise roll my right thumb to the adjacent 'asterix' button for SERVO and an AF zone. I haven't got around to programming a separate button for selecting which AF zones yet because the R is not great for tracking action in the sky.

- The AF-ON button which I use for Back Button Focus can sometimes be awkwardly positioned when hand holding shots but not when on a tripod. I notice it most when out shooting to and fro with my 1DX-2 where it is much better positioned.

One 'ergonomic' thing I've found with the EOS R that I don't like is the position of the diopter adjustment wheel. It sits quite proud of the viewfinder hump, and is easily caught and moved even if it is quite stiff. The simple solution for me has been to change the layout of my camera bag a little, as that was where I was catching it. First time on any camera I've had it happen. Not really a problem I guess, but something to be aware of.

.... Personally I haven't had this problem but probably because I usually carry my R with lens mounted (either RF 24-105mm or EF 100mm Macro) in my Lowepro Toploader. For air travel cabin luggage it is mounted on my EF 100-400mm alongside a compartment for my 500mm in my Lowepro AW 450. Again, it doesn't come into contact with anything which would move the diopter wheel. I used to have diopter problems when I had a 7D-2 and especially the M5 where it was positioned between the viewfinder and the flip down screen. It was actually a major irritation for me on the M5 when flipping down the screen in a hurry.

Like you say, Simon, it's something to be aware of and pack accordingly.

I am very surprised that anyone, including other reviewers, has criticisms of the grip. I have tested it in extreme even on my 500mm with 2x mounted and the grip could not be better. But in fact all the other reviews I have read or watched have praised the grip anyway.

As I don't shoot any video I didn't bother to read what they said about the R in that section but am aware of video shooters' criticisms in other reviews - It's not an aspect I am qualified to comment on.

The bottom line is always that there is no such thing as a perfect camera and that which you use is based on Horses-for-Courses.

Last edited:

the touch focus actually works quite nicely. it was a concern to me before i tried it. saying that, i'd still prefer to have the option of a small joystick tough.

the touch focus actually works quite nicely. it was a concern to me before i tried it. saying that, i'd still prefer to have the option of a small joystick tough.

Thanks Jon, I know i don't need one.

But the call of returning to Full Frame is strong with me.
Shouldn't be too hard to reach a decision when funds allow.
Narrowed it down to 3..

.... Having used mine quite a bit now I agree with them about two ergonomic issues :

- The awkwardness of using my lefthand thumb to move the AF point around on the touchscreen. However, for ONE SHOT I very very rarely move the central AF point on any of my cameras anyway and otherwise roll my right thumb to the adjacent 'asterix' button for SERVO and an AF zone. I haven't got around to programming a separate button for selecting which AF zones yet because the R is not great for tracking action in the sky.

- The AF-ON button which I use for Back Button Focus can sometimes be awkwardly positioned when hand holding shots but not when on a tripod. I notice it most when out shooting to and fro with my 1DX-2 where it is much better positioned.

.... Personally I haven't had this problem but probably because I usually carry my R with lens mounted (either RF 24-105mm or EF 100mm Macro) in my Lowepro Toploader. For air travel cabin luggage it is mounted on my EF 100-400mm alongside a compartment for my 500mm in my Lowepro AW 450. Again, it doesn't come into contact with anything which would move the diopter wheel. I used to have diopter problems when I had a 7D-2 and especially the M5 where it was positioned between the viewfinder and the flip down screen. It was actually a major irritation for me on the M5 when flipping down the screen in a hurry.

Like you say, Simon, it's something to be aware of and pack accordingly.

I am very surprised that anyone, including other reviewers, has criticisms of the grip. I have tested it in extreme even on my 500mm with 2x mounted and the grip could not be better. But in fact all the other reviews I have read or watched have praised the grip anyway.

As I don't shoot any video I didn't bother to read what they said about the R in that section but am aware of video shooters' criticisms in other reviews - It's not an aspect I am qualified to comment on.

The bottom line is always that there is no such thing as a perfect camera and that which you use is based on Horses-for-Courses.

Ergonomics and handling are very subjective and reviewers should be wary of that. Take with a pinch of salt. For example, the experience of right-eyed and left-eyed shooters can be very different, and any camera that's different to the one you're familiar with will always feel awkward at first especially the position of always-used controls like the AF button and AF point selection. And the EOS-R is significantly different to EOS DSLRs.

I've never found a camera that I can't get along with perfectly well after a bit of practise. Sony often gets criticised for poor ergonomics and menus but that doesn't seem to stop them selling.

Ergonomics and handling are very subjective and reviewers should be wary of that. Take with a pinch of salt. For example, the experience of right-eyed and left-eyed shooters can be very different, and any camera that's different to the one you're familiar with will always feel awkward at first especially the position of always-used controls like the AF button and AF point selection. And the EOS-R is significantly different to EOS DSLRs.

I've never found a camera that I can't get along with perfectly well after a bit of practise.

.... Very true.

I have noticed that people say that the EOS R and EOS D-SLRs are very different but not really that much different from how some of the D-SLRs compare with each other. The more often you use both the easier it gets - It's down to 'muscle memory' and always thinking positive rather than allowing any frustration to set in.

It's like having two quite different cars to drive and after practise in each you immediately adapt when you get behind the wheel. One can't help having preferences though.

.... Very true.

I have noticed that people say that the EOS R and EOS D-SLRs are very different but not really that much different from how some of the D-SLRs compare with each other. The more often you use both the easier it gets - It's down to 'muscle memory' and always thinking positive rather than allowing any frustration to set in.

It's like having two quite different cars to drive and after practise in each you immediately adapt when you get behind the wheel. One can't help having preferences though.

It'll be interesting to see what Canon does with the next R camera. One thing's for sure though, however the controls are positioned and operate will have been very carefully considered. With electronic buttons etc, they can go pretty much anywhere the designer wants.

Moving the AF button for example can only have been deliberate, and probably has something to do with making space for the adjacent slide-touch pad thing. The jury seems to be out on that. It has to work better, not compromise any other controls, and generally bring more to the party if it's to justify that large piece of prime real estate. It's looking a bit gimmicky ATM.

It'll be interesting to see what Canon does with the next R camera. One thing's for sure though, however the controls are positioned and operate will have been very carefully considered. With electronic buttons etc, they can go pretty much anywhere the designer wants.

Moving the AF button for example can only have been deliberate, and probably has something to do with making space for the adjacent slide-touch pad thing. The jury seems to be out on that. It has to work better, not compromise any other controls, and generally bring more to the party if it's to justify that large piece of prime real estate. It's looking a bit gimmicky ATM.

i haven't read too many people liking the functionality of the touch bar. seems it either gets knocked too easily or if it needs to be held down to activate it, it takes too long. perhaps if they looked at using biometrics like a thumb print activation we see on some mobile phones that could save it from being knocked accidentally and quicker to operate.

.... Yes, the future R versions are going to be very interesting and for lots of reasons. In an interview with Mike Burnhill from Canon Europe which I posted a while ago somewhere in this thread, he actually said that they might drop the Multi-function Bar slide-touch thingy if feedback by users showed it to be unpopular. It's quicker and easier for me to repost the interview as I found it sufficiently interesting to have bookmarked it.

Go to 13:44 to hear what he says about the Multi-function Bar being "an experiment" and Canon possibly dropping it on future R versions according to user feedback.

https://lensvid.com/gear/canon-interview-eos-r-and-more-photokina-2018/

If anyone here hasn't watched this interview before it's a very good one to further understand Canon's approach regarding the EOS RF mount system.

Last edited:
It's good that they're trying new things though, and the EOS-R may be something of a live experiment on a number of levels. The slide-bar might not have too many fans, but the new lens control ring has been universally welcomed.

It could literally end up being a T80 for the 21st century
Like last time, I think I'll let other people do the R&D, and I'll come in for the T90 or the EOS-3. ;)

Hey, I'm a poet and didn't know it! :D

Last edited:
From my personal experience, having had the EOS-R since the launch date - it is slowly earning its place in my bag.
Definitely lot to get used to, as it's my first mirrorless camera.
But it's sort of an ideal camera for me, when I do BTS footage on the travel days with various teams I work for.
It is less bulky than my 1DX mkII, can do video and stills as needed.. and the movement isn't that fast, so the AF and shutter speed are more than capable in handling that for my liking.
On the few trips so far, I've gotten much more material for my clients, as when I had the 1DX mkII only - it was just too bulky to be carrying out all the time on the team coach, airports, etc.

But, when the game time comes - out comes the 1DX mkII - EOS-R definitely isn't (and wasn't designed as one) for capturing fast sports :)

In general, I do like the camera - and for my hands, which aren't the smallest, it does fit OK. I do find myself sometimes searching for buttons, as they aren't where they are on 1DX...
So that's a bit frustrating - looking forward to seeing where Canon develop this in the future...

Oh Oh I had a handle of one of these and I quite like it the camera build and the way it works. But I am not too sure if the file as clean as the sony

Back