Canon EOS R Series Cameras

.... I only started digital photography 5 years ago with a 70D and so am ignorant of Canon's development history.

If processing power is key to handling pro sports / wildlife action, I think the EOS R has a single Digic-8 processor whereas the 1DX-2 has two processors. So logically could they fit two processors into a R body to consequently provide the extra power needed? Doing so might necessitate a slightly larger body, I don't know. Or of course perhaps a next generation single Digic-9(?) might do the job.

I don't know anything about the 1Ds or its spec.

Early on the 1d (up to IV) was APS-H with 2 processors to handle the speed of data and the 1ds had the same 2 processors but ran slower due to the higher mp count for full frame.

All 1d camera’s (APSC and ff) used a processor for running the ‘camera’ functions and a separate processor for the image processing, I hadn’t realised the R only ran one processor, if that’s the case, Canon definitely have the tech to make one perform faster.

Early on the 1d (up to IV) was APS-H with 2 processors to handle the speed of data and the 1ds had the same 2 processors but ran slower due to the higher mp count for full frame.

All 1d camera’s (APSC and ff) used a processor for running the ‘camera’ functions and a separate processor for the image processing, I hadn’t realised the R only ran one processor, if that’s the case, Canon definitely have the tech to make one perform faster.

.... Thanks for that info, Phil. It's quite interesting to learn how the basics of technology work and so get a feel for why a camera has its strengths and limitations.

Yes, the EOS R runs only one Digic-8 processor which is currently the latest version. The EOS M5 runs the Digic-7 processor but the M50 was the first to run the Digic-8 and was also the first Canon camera to record CR3 files.

Just thinking aloud, heat from processing is something else needing to be catered for.

Last edited:
A long ramble, because I was bored and found the talk of the processing interesting. ;) :LOL:

The processing that both Canon and Nikon have to do in their cameras may have jumped significantly with the move to mirrorless. The normal things with a DSLR, metering, auto focus, white balance, data conversion, generating the LCD visuals and the software running the camera, but now some of those are having to be done continuously, whereas some of those things only needed to be done occasionally with a DSLR, and that may be why both Canon and Nikon have limitations with AF, metering and fps with their new cameras. Just a theory, ;) and not taking into account what features they may choose the performance of to stratify the cameras into a range with future models.

I read years ago (maybe not true) that the way the Canon processors were designed they could be used in multiples/parallel, but the Nikon processors were not able to that. The top of the range Canon's sometimes have been said to have multiple processors which you would assume was needed to get the AF, metering and everything else working at the very high speeds. I think the Nikon D5 and D500 have a separate processor just for the AF and main processor for everything else. The AF is getting a lot more sophisticated in the mirrorless cameras with hundreds, and in Canon's case, thousands, of focus points, which the processor now has to do.

Any significant increase in processing, be that a very fast single processor, (for Nikon if that is what they still do) or multiple faster than before processors, (for Canon) may come at the expense of heat and increased power usage, time will tell. :) Canon and Nikon seem to have decided on the batteries for their cameras with some slight improvements. Doesn't mean they both can't make significant improvements in that area as Sony did when the a9 came out though. ;)

It will be interesting to see if info comes out about the processing power of the Canon (and Nikon) chips and whether that has had any influence on the performance of their cameras. :thinking: We live in interesting times. :)

A long ramble, because I was bored and found the talk of the processing interesting. ;) :LOL:

The processing that both Canon and Nikon have to do in their cameras may have jumped significantly with the move to mirrorless. The normal things with a DSLR, metering, auto focus, white balance, data conversion, generating the LCD visuals and the software running the camera, but now some of those are having to be done continuously, whereas some of those things only needed to be done occasionally with a DSLR, and that may be why both Canon and Nikon have limitations with AF, metering and fps with their new cameras. Just a theory, ;) and not taking into account what features they may choose the performance of to stratify the cameras into a range with future models.

I read years ago (maybe not true) that the way the Canon processors were designed they could be used in multiples/parallel, but the Nikon processors were not able to that. The top of the range Canon's sometimes have been said to have multiple processors which you would assume was needed to get the AF, metering and everything else working at the very high speeds. I think the Nikon D5 and D500 have a separate processor just for the AF and main processor for everything else. The AF is getting a lot more sophisticated in the mirrorless cameras with hundreds, and in Canon's case, thousands, of focus points, which the processor now has to do.

Any significant increase in processing, be that a very fast single processor, (for Nikon if that is what they still do) or multiple faster than before processors, (for Canon) may come at the expense of heat and increased power usage, time will tell. :) Canon and Nikon seem to have decided on the batteries for their cameras with some slight improvements. Doesn't mean they both can't make significant improvements in that area as Sony did when the a9 came out though. ;)

It will be interesting to see if info comes out about the processing power of the Canon (and Nikon) chips and whether that has had any influence on the performance of their cameras. :thinking: We live in interesting times. :)

.... A very interesting read, you should feel bored more often - I was far from bored reading it.

I know relatively very little about the internal technicalities of cameras but I think you are right that a camera's processor power has a direct influence on performance. I don't see that this is any different in mirrorless cameras.

Something which is very easy to overlook and be unaware of is the heat that any processor generates, not only in cameras. It then begs the question whether mirrorless cameras run hotter than D-SLRs. However, the camera manufacturers will be continuously developing their technologies accordingly even as we speak - Progress never stands still.

GOLDFINCH ON TEASEL by Robin Procter, on Flickr

The first image I have processed from the Canon EOS R and with a huge amount of extremely time-consuming tedium due to my chosen RAW converter/editor CaptureOne not yet supporting the camera's recorded CR3 files. This is why Flickr has not received the camera machine ID and states "TBA".

However, I have to say that I am very pleased with what the EOS R can achieve (apart from very slow fps burst rate) - In my case it matches the results from my flagship D-SLR 1DX-2.

I have to say that although everyone naturally wants to judge images output from a particular camera, such judgements being based on simply image quality have certain limitations and in the case of a poor photograph it can say more about the photographer than the camera.

The first image I have processed from the Canon EOS R and with a huge amount of extremely time-consuming tedium due to my chosen RAW converter/editor CaptureOne not yet supporting the camera's recorded CR3 files. This is why Flickr has not received the camera machine ID and states "TBA".

However, I have to say that I am very pleased with what the EOS R can achieve (apart from very slow fps burst rate) - In my case it matches the results from my flagship D-SLR 1DX-2.

I have to say that although everyone naturally wants to judge images output from a particular camera, such judgements being based on simply image quality have certain limitations and in the case of a poor photograph it can say more about the photographer than the camera.

Fabulous picture Rob. Easy to see that there’s more of your skill rather than camera power here.

Although it does make me more interested to find out more re the R

Fabulous Robin - I’m delighted you’ve got some files converted.

Simon.

A really superb image, very encouraging for the EOS R - I’m starting want one even more after this result!

A really superb image, very encouraging for the EOS R - I’m starting want one even more after this result!

From a camera point of view, it's not a very demanding shot. Credit should go to the photographer and lens.

From a camera point of view, it's not a very demanding shot. Credit should go to the photographer and lens.
Yes I appreciate Robin is a skilled photographer but I do believe that it also proves by his statement regarding the 1DX2 comparison that the EOS R is better than maybe some anticipated.
Great shot all round.

Fabulous Robin - I’m delighted you’ve got some files converted.

Simon.

.... Thanks Simon!

I gave up waiting and took the plunge but it then took me several hours until 3:00am to manage a complicated workaround for the problem I encountered. I don't give up easily!

I first downloaded Adobe DNG Converter v.11 and ran a folder of CR3 files through it. Then I viewed the resulting DNG files in FastRawViewer and selected some to edit and then loaded this one into CaptureOne which refused to read the proxy. In frustration I opened the DNG file in On1 which saved it as a Photoshop PSD file which I then opened with CaptureOne and was able to edit in my usual workflow.

I need to post in the CaptureOne user forum but people there are always slow to answer.

I wonder if starting off in Canon's DPP would make life easier but surely a DNG file is a DNG file so why should CaptureOne misbehave?

Last edited:
Yes I appreciate Robin is a skilled photographer but I do believe that it also proves by his statement regarding the 1DX2 comparison that the EOS R is better than maybe some anticipated.
Great shot all round.

.... Thank Chris.

The comparison I am making between this EOS R image and similar shots on my 1DX-2, is based on the degree of adjustments needed when following my usual workflow. Obviously the lens delivers similarly independently of the body (or does it?). The rendering of colours and tonal qualities appear equal to my naked eye. This image was shot at ISO 3200 and the original noise level (reduced in post-processing) looked similar for this kind of shot on the 1DX-2 too.

I am looking at it as objectively as possible and just as I couldn't tell the difference in image quality between the EOS M5 and the 7D-2 results, it is looking so far as if the EOS R is a good match for the 1DX-2.

I have some photos of the same Collared Dove on the same perch on the same day which were shot with the same lens on both the EOS R and 1DX-2 - Those will be interesting to compare in due course.

Fabulous picture Rob. Easy to see that there’s more of your skill rather than camera power here.

Although it does make me more interested to find out more re the R

A really superb image, very encouraging for the EOS R - I’m starting to want one even more after this result!

.... Thank you Trevor and Chris - Much appreciated. Also thanks to Simon srhmoto and Richard Hoppy.

Regarding your interest in the R, your decision to buy or not will of course depend on its suitability for the subjects you enjoy photographing (as well as available funds).

If I had to describe with only one word what I like most about shooting with this EOS R, the word would be 'WYSIWYG' - What You See Is What You Get. Such is the power and potential of its latest-state-of-the-art Electronic Viewfinder.

Canon have developed and introduced a standard of EVF which at last I like. This also means that whether you chimp via either the EVF or the rear LCD screen, what you see is far closer to what the image will remain looking like when transferred from camera to computer. Gone, or fast going, are the days when you capture what you think is a great shot when you review it on your camera but later suffer the deep disappointment of discovering when you get home later that it is rubbish when you view it on your computer. < We have all been there!

So, I'm now off to wrestle with the frustrations of trying to find a shorter more practical workaround so I can edit my CR3 images in CaptureOne - I may be gone some time.

Last edited:
Managed to squeeze in some time between work and family on Saturday to get out with to do some landscape type shots with my EOS R. I am very happy with how it performed. The EVF / LCD with the focusing aids make manual focusing really easy. The bulb timer means no more remote shutter release needed and one less thing to carry with me, although I'd prefer it counted down rather than counting up in use. I've also turn on the silent shutter mode (I used to use this all the time on my G9), and it works perfectly even on exposures of several minutes. Dynamic range, noise and image quality are superb.

#1 A simple composition on my way into work first thing on Saturday morning.
Roker Pier and Lighthouse by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#2 A quick stop off on Newcastle's Quayside a couple of hours later on route to my parents. Just got back to the car before the rain came. The light was a bit harsh by this time.
Newcastle Quayside by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#3 Back to Roker Pier around an hour before sunset. Would've liked a bit more light on the pier itself, but hey ho. This exposure was 200s long using the silent shutter mode. I've converted it to mono as there really was zero colour.
Roker Pier by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

I'm planning on being over in the Lake District next Saturday, so hopefully I'll get more time to play and experiment then.

Cheers,

Simon.

I’ve had the opportunity to have an extended play with the R.

I had briefly thought about buying one and if it worked out moving my 5D4 on.

As Robin has said the EVF is very good but I prefer my viewfinder with as little info in it as possible. Just iso, ss, aperture and ex comp. I’ve not found much use for WYSIWYG on my Olympus but sensibly Canon have given some choice as to what’s shown.

Focusing is great, tried a few of my lenses on the adaptor and all good. The control ring is brilliant, a definite tick in the buy one box.

Touch bar, no thanks, just find it clumsy and it’s position has pushed the AF ON and AE lock buttons too close to the side of the camera. I can cope with the AF ON but the AE LOCK I found difficult to operate and I use this all the time for a second AF set up.

Feels great in the hand though this one had a grip on so felt even better balanced with longer lenses.

Moving focus points around on the screen was a bit hit and miss. I miss the wheel and joystick. I use registered focus points a lot but the R doesn’t seem to have a button customisation for this feature.

Ergonomically it doesn’t really suit the way I set my cameras up so will wait to see what the next model brings.

If it’s a 1 series equivalent I would expect to see a bigger body with battery grip built in and I hope they drop the touch bar and keep a joystick and wheel.

Still it was good to get an opportunity to have a good look at one even though it resulted in a no sale for the dealer. They even let me take a few shots home although image quality is pretty much a given these days.

Still better to be disappointed before you’ve spent £3000 than after.

@srhmoto Simon,

A superb set of landscapes in #216. I had seen and enjoyed them on your Flickr page earlier.

The lighting on that Newcastle picture makes it look like an architect's model!

So far it looks like only you and me posting EOS R images here. It's nice that your subjects are broader than mine.

Last edited:
So, I'm now off to wrestle with the frustrations of trying to find a shorter more practical workaround so I can edit my CR3 images in CaptureOne - I may be gone some time.

.... I managed to crack it! The problem was the lack of up to date support in FastRawViewer in that it wouldn't properly transfer the proxy image files into CaptureOne but I solved it by pulling the DNG files directly into CaptureOne from their folder.

So here is a Jackdaw in the wet atmosphere of my garden recently :

JACKDAW IN DRIZZLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Who says Jackdaws are just black.

Last edited:
I am reading this thread (and the FB group for the R) with interest, but I am still not convinced.

It seems to be being compared to the 1d range often, looking at the specs and what people need for events/reportage or wildlife/sports I would compare it more to the 6d range, with hopefully a 5d and 1d range equivalent to come.

T

I am reading this thread (and the FB group for the R) with interest, but I am still not convinced.

It seems to be being compared to the 1d range often, looking at the specs and what people need for events/reportage or wildlife/sports I would compare it more to the 6d range, with hopefully a 5d and 1d range equivalent to come.

T

Tony,

The EOS R is categorically not a 1 series camera. I don't believe that it is even an equivalent to the 5d mk IV, and nor do I believe that Canon's marketing literature pitches it there either. I would agree with your assessment of where it sits in the range, but the reality is that it isn't quite that black and white. The EOS R is what it is, and will work well for some people (me included), but won't be quite right in functionality, build or feature set for others. I think all that people can do is to look objectively at the camera and assess it against their own requirements, and decide whether the compromises that there will inevitably be (as there are for every camera ever made so far), are ones that they are prepared / able to make.

Cheers,

Simon.

T

.... The only comparisons being made are in the context of the 1DX-2 as a yardstick - A spec to aspire to. Also a comparison between Canon's first FF mirrorless and their D-SLR full-frame cameras.

In my case, of course I am going to compare and share opinions comparing the current EOS R and the 1DX-2 because I shoot with both and I am not the only 1DX owner here who would consider buying the R in addition to rather than as a replacement.

Comparison with the 1DX-2 becomes even more relevant in light of the strong rumour that Canon are going to be releasing an EOS R equivalent to the 1DX flagship, or at least a RF mount version approaching that higher spec.

There's no such thing as a perfect camera but I think that a mirrorless 1DX-2 would be giant step closer for photographers if not for mankind. In shooting with both I want WYSIWYG in the viewfinder leaving me to stay focussed on the subject and to do my best to control the results.

Simon has hit the nail on the head :

Tony,

The EOS R is categorically not a 1 series camera. I don't believe that it is even an equivalent to the 5d mk IV, and nor do I believe that Canon's marketing literature pitches it there either. I would agree with your assessment of where it sits in the range, but the reality is that it isn't quite that black and white. The EOS R is what it is, and will work well for some people (me included), but won't be quite right in functionality, build or feature set for others. I think all that people can do is to look objectively at the camera and assess it against their own requirements, and decide whether the compromises that there will inevitably be (as there are for every camera ever made so far), are ones that they are prepared / able to make.

Cheers,

Simon.

Last edited:

beautiful capture

.... Interesting. But I wonder if this is just a 'new product' initial surge. On the other hand, Nikon's Z7 is also a new product. I'm not going to mention the 'S-word' as no-one interested in this thread want it to go the way which the other thread went with all the bickering and fanboy insults, but Sony and others are mentioned.

EDIT : And as Phil suggests, such sales claims can be misleading and even be part of a marketing push? Let's just say that the EOS R is being very well received in spite of some of the early YouTubers trashing its specs.

Apparently the EOS M50 has been selling extremely well too and over a longer time period. So, come on all you software developers who aren't supporting CR3 files yet! Get on with it, please!

Last edited:
.... I managed to crack it! The problem was the lack of up to date support in FastRawViewer in that it wouldn't properly transfer the proxy image files into CaptureOne but I solved it by pulling the DNG files directly into CaptureOne from their folder.

So here is a Jackdaw in the wet atmosphere of my garden recently :

JACKDAW IN DRIZZLE by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Who says Jackdaws are just black.
Stunning, no more to say accept i love this image!

.... Interesting. But I wonder if this is just a 'new product' initial surge. On the other hand, Nikon's Z7 is also a new product. I'm not going to mention the 'S-word' as no-one interested in this thread want it to go the way which the other thread went with all the bickering and fanboy insults, but Sony and others are mentioned.

EDIT : And as Phil suggests, such sales claims can be misleading and even be part of a marketing push? Let's just say that the EOS R is being very well received in spite of some of the early YouTubers trashing its specs.

Apparently the EOS M50 has been selling extremely well too and over a longer time period. So, come on all you software developers who aren't supporting CR3 files yet! Get on with it, please!

Until the mkIII Sony releases, Canon were outselling Sony in Japan. Canon were second with Olympus taking the top spot.

I'm still thinking of picking up an EOS R, I'll just keep the 1D4 for sports until they release a mirrorless sports body.

Well the Z6 doesn't appear in the top 10 cameras listed, assuming that is available in Japan? I haven't paid much attention to the Nikon releases.

Not sure but I don't think so, seems likely if it hasn't even made the list. The Z6 should be the more interesting comparison to make because it lives in the same category as the R and A73 but all things being equal I would still expect the Z6 to lose out to the R just through the size of the Canon user base. That might be an interesting question to ask though, does the R/Z6 appeal more to people as an entry point or as a replacement for their existing DSLR?

I think Nikon made a mistake in pushing the Z7 so hard over the Z6 as a £3.5k camera is a real hard sale but at the end of the day I never really cared too much about sales charts, they don't really make any difference to us mere mortals.

Well the Z6 doesn't appear in the top 10 cameras listed, assuming that is available in Japan? I haven't paid much attention to the Nikon releases.
I don't think the Z6 is released yet. Maybe next week or the week after.
I think Nikon made a mistake in pushing the Z7 so hard over the Z6 as a £3.5k camera is a real hard sale but at the end of the day I never really cared too much about sales charts, they don't really make any difference to us mere mortals.
Makes sense to me, I was initially confused as to why they didn't release both cameras at the same time, but release the more expensive camera first for the early adopters, and which will probably not sell as much as the camera lower in the range in the long term to maximise sales. No doubt even with the extra time from announcement to release there will be Z6 shortages somewhere. ;) :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Canon EOS R + RF 24-105mm F/4L IS @105mm, Manual-mode, 1/1250s, F/10, ISO 250.

I am not a landscape photographer but had to stop and take this on my way to find some wildlife to photograph early one morning recently. Dorset UK. I do like this RF 24-105mm lens which replaces my EF 24-70mm F/4L IS and it is just as sharp (might even be sharper, am not sure) - An extremely versatile lens.

Shot RAW, no enlargement, minor fine-tuning of shadow and colour adjustments in post-processing in CaptureOne after having to convert to DNG and import to Photoshop and edit as a TIFF, save back to CaptureOne host, then JPEG output.

ISLE OF PORTLAND by Robin Procter, on Flickr

Last edited:

I am not a landscape photographer but had to stop and take this on my way to find some wildlife to photograph early one morning recently. Dorset UK. I do like this RF 24-105mm lens which replaces my EF 24-70mm F/4L IS and it is just as sharp (might even be sharper, am not sure) - An extremely versatile lens.

Shot RAW, no enlargement, minor fine-tuning of shadow and colour adjustments in post-processing in CaptureOne after having to convert to DNG and import to Photoshop and edit as a TIFF, save back to CaptureOne host, then JPEG output.

Smashing Rob. Portland is one of my favourite places.

You must have pulled up in exactly the same spot as me 4 years ago .... in the daytime .....

Chesil Beach Portland
by Mike.Pursey, on Flickr

Quality

Smashing Rob. Portland is one of my favourite places.

You must have pulled up in exactly the same spot as me 4 years ago

Chesil beach is an eerie place,think the undertows put me off. nice shots though guys

.... Portland has its own strong character quite different from the mainland and may people don't realise it's an island. Locals call it 'The Rock'.

And Chesil Beach is certainly potentially very dangerous. Apparently there are over 1,000 wrecks in the bay and those are just the charted ones.

Yes Mike, that layby at the top of the hill. It gets very popular sometimes and especially in the tourist season.

Back