Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Name
Craig
Edit My Images
Yes
Please feel free to discuss everything Canon EOS R related in this thread. First-hand experiences from owners would be appreciated, although not mandatory.

At present there is just the EOS R in production, but it’s highly likely that the camera will be the first of many mirrorless R’s from Canon. Whilst we all appreciate that there are other manufacturers in this sector, please try to keep it on-topic and courteous to all contributors. Thank you.

I’m not an EOS R owner as yet (still on the fence), but I am very interested. A major attraction is the EOS R’s comparability with EF and EF-S lenses. I’ve seen comments elsewhere about people successfully using Canon EF lenses, but very little about compatibility with 3rd Party lenses such as Sigma & Tamron. Similarly, has anyone had any experience of using their EF-S lenses yet? Thank you.

Hurrah. A new FF thread!

I'm really keen to see how it performs with some of the longer EF mount lenses too.

I'm tempted by the camera but think that as I'm about to embark on more wildlife photography that I should stick with my 6D II for the timebeing.

Also excited to see the potential of the f/2 beast!

Already a Canon mirrorless owner (M5) and was looking forward to the EOS-R (and Z6/Z7). Have just sold my 7D and am in the market for a new body but for me the dodgy AF tracking and low fps are a real deal breaker.

Maybe next time. :)

Hopefully this thread will be a bit more informative.

Last edited:
Im also in the market for a new body,but im not totally convinced on reincarnation so maybe stick with the one ive got.:D

Although this camera is not for me ( it's far too slow ) you have 3 stunning shots Simon .
Rob.

Let me be the first to add some images to this thread. All taken with an EOS R + EF 70-200mm f4 L (non IS)

#1 Little Owl
Little Owl by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#2 Kestral
Kestral (Female) by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

#3 Tawny Owl
Tawny Owl by Simon Harrison, on Flickr

Cheers,

Simon.

Fantastic set of pictures Simon! Your review was excellent on 'the other thread' - it may well be worth posting it on this thread as I am sure future readers will also find it excellent. Well done!

Have you done much with the colour? It looks superb in these images :)

Calling @RedRobin to do the same as he has some excellent user opinions/photographs with the new R

Last edited:
I've never owned a Canon but having handheld both the EOS R and the Z7 (and been a big previous Nikon DSLR user) I actually though the Canon felt better from an ergonomic perspective.
Its nice to see Canon and Nikon join the fray if not quite there with Sony yet - in many ways they're perhaps more equivalent with the "II" series bodies rather than the A7R3/A7iii but thats still pretty good for a first entry into the market.

AF aside it appears to me that the Z7 is very close to the A7R3, the IQ looks stellar and actually for landscapers or folk not needing top top end AF it looks pretty good.
The EOS R is a bit different, Canon seem to have approached it thinking about the mid-level rather than aiming for the top end high MP count like Nikon have - only thing that really looks "missing" is IBIS but if its going to be in the lenses, I'm not sure it matters?.....

Unless your shooting wildlife, sport or maybe weddings then the wide range of Nikon/Canon lenses available via the mount adapter should be a decent trade off for a while as the native line-ups grow (a bit like EF glass has been For Sony over the last 2 years...).

I originally posted this in the 'Canon FF Mirrorless' thread, but it is just as relevant (maybe even more so) here.

After a good six hours of photography with the EOS R over the weekend I thought I would share some initial thoughts on how I felt the camera performed, both good and bad. To put things in to perspective, I moved from a Canon 1D mk II and 7D 9+ years ago and have used Panasonic Lumix m4/3 cameras since. I moved from their flagship photography camera (the G9) to the EOS R.

The G9 is known for the quality of its EVF, and I don’t find the one the EOS R has to be any sort of step back whatsoever. To all intents and purposes, it feels like looking through an OVF in almost all circumstances, with the added benefit of way more shooting information and of course being able to see exactly what your exposure is going to be. I should qualify this by saying that I have used EVFs for the last 9 years and am a big fan of them. I didn’t experience any tearing or lag when using it, including when trying to follow fast moving birds with it in less than stellar light. The viewfinder is large and with good eye relief. I’m a spectacles wearer, and had no problems wearing my glasses while using the camera. Maybe I just haven’t worked out how to turn it on, but on my G9 there was an over exposure warning that highlighted blown areas live through the EVF while composing even when taking stills. At the moment, it appears that’s only available on the EOS R during playback. I found this extremely useful, and if it’s not there already, would love to see it added with a future firmware update. All in all though, I’ve found the EVF experience to be extremely good.

Coming from the G9 and its contrast based focusing system, the EOS feels different in use and I am still adjusting to it. While not slow, the EOS R does not feel as instantaneous in AF as the G9 did. I’m sure I’m splitting hairs here, but I did perceive a difference. However, I have so far found it to be very accurate in single shot AF and AI Servo for slow moving subjects (AI Servo performed very well as perched birds moved and twitched on the workshop I attended on Sunday). So far, I’ve tended to shoot using either a single AF point, or single AF point with 9 additional points around it. I have done some shots with face / eye detect AF, but so far found it inconsistent, and not as good as the G9. When it nails it, it really does nail it. However, it can miss and spectacle wears do seem to cause it some issues. Having said all of that, I am still adjusting to the different system and I am sure I will learn all of the EOS R’s AF foibles in time. I should also add that I’ve been caught out by lack of DoF on several occasions so far, which is probably not surprising saying I came from m4/3.

I’ve had very little opportunity to use AI Servo AF, but so far my experience echos what Robin has found. The last thing we did on the workshop I attended at the weekend was some in flight shots of a Great Grey Owl. Now I am no BiF expert, and we were taking these in woodland with rapidly failing light, but the keeper rate was very, very low with the bird flying straight down the barrel of the lens. I didn’t have any opportunity to adjust any of the AI Servo settings, so that might well have helped things and nor was I using one of Canon’s most recent L lenses. I hope to test AI Servo more next weekend when I head up to Croft Circuit. I suspect it will do much better on bigger targets with more predictable movement. However, I also strongly suspect that the EOS R is in no way a dedicated sports or wildlife camera! From my experience, the G9 would not have handled the BiF shooting any better than the EOS R.

I started off using the D pad to move my focus point around, but very quickly moved to using my thumb in the top right corner of the LCD screen. The rest of the LCD doesn’t respond to any touch when setup like this, so my nose resting against it didn’t have any affect or impact on performance. I found this to be a quick (so long as you weren’t going from one side of the frame to the other when two swipes of the thumb were usually needed) and accurate way to do things. I just had to remember to lift my thumb completely off the screen before moving it, otherwise it took the focus point with it. My G9 had this functionality, but it also had a joystick so I never made use of it although I kinda wish I had now. I’m sure with practice, I could be just about as quick as I would be with a joystick. I don’t have particularly large (or small) hands and found using the LCD to position the focus point with the camera to my eye and finger on the shutter button very comfortable indeed.

On that point, I found the whole ergonomics of the camera to be fantastic. Ergonomics are a very personal thing, but I found the EOS R to be excellent in this regard and extremely comfortable to use for extended periods of time handheld. With the way I had customised it, I never once had to go into the menus to make any adjustment while shooting. I just need to develop the muscle memory for where all the buttons are LOL.

The main reason I moved from the G9 to full frame was for increased image quality, and I am certainly not disappointed. I spent most of Saturday shooting between ISO1600 and ISO6400, and the images are far, far better then I ever would’ve got from my G9 at the same ISO. I will need to get some faster memory cards though, as those big raw files took some writing to what I have now.

So, there you go – my initial thoughts after a full day’s shooting with the EOS R. So far, I am extremely happy I made the change from the G9, as it is delivering exactly what I wanted. Apologies for the long post, but hopefully somebody will find it useful.

Cheers,

Simon.

Fantastic set of pictures Simon! Your review was excellent on 'the other thread' - it may well be worth posting it on this thread as I am sure future readers will also find it excellent. Well done!

Have you done much with the colour? It looks superb in these images :)

Calling @RedRobin to do the same as he has some excellent user opinions/photographs with the new R

Thanks Fraser :)

I actually haven't done a great deal with the colours in the images, save for a small amount of vibrance and contrast adjustment in LR.

Cheers,

Simon.

Hurrah. A new FF thread!

I'm really keen to see how it performs with some of the longer EF mount lenses too.

I'm tempted by the camera but think that as I'm about to embark on more wildlife photography that I should stick with my 6D II for the timebeing.

Also excited to see the potential of the f/2 beast!

.... I have had my EOS R + RF 24-105mm F/4L kit lens for just over a week now but am waiting for Capture One to support the CR3 files before I convert the RAW and post-process any.

I have tried the R body on all my EF lenses including EF 500mm F/4L II on tripod and handheld EF 100-400mm L II + either 1.4x III or 2x III Extender. In fact it allows full AF across all AF points when the 2x III is added to the EF 100-400mm but at max F/11 aperture.

If you want to take advantage of the Dual Pixel RAW, the fps rate suffers even more. It is definitely not a body suited to wildlife action in the field where anything can suddenly happen.

As said in the other thread, the R is a second body to my 1DX-2 and replaces my EOS M5.

I was suprised to find out today that so does the M5 although the AF was quite slow (which I put down to the small battery not having enough ooomph). The other thing I noticed was that the IS didn't seem to work very well.

.... Yes, I have found that it behaves as if the IS doesn't function when the 2x is added to the 100-400mm. I never explored adding an Extender when using the M5 on the 100-400mm because I didn't like the physical handling of the small M5 on bigger lenses than 100mm anyway - On of my main reasons to replace the M5 with the R.

Have heard of several reports that the Tamron lenses 70-200mm G2 and 150-600mm G2 on the EOS R "are terrible" and one Sigma and one Yongnuo "experiencing AF hunting" when mounted on the EOS R.

I can't say I'm surprised, at least at this early stage.

.... I have had my EOS R + RF 24-105mm F/4L kit lens for just over a week now but am waiting for Capture One to support the CR3 files before I convert the RAW and post-process any.

I have tried the R body on all my EF lenses including EF 500mm F/4L II on tripod and handheld EF 100-400mm L II + either 1.4x III or 2x III Extender. In fact it allows full AF across all AF points when the 2x III is added to the EF 100-400mm but at max F/11 aperture.

If you want to take advantage of the Dual Pixel RAW, the fps rate suffers even more. It is definitely not a body suited to wildlife action in the field where anything can suddenly happen.

As said in the other thread, the R is a second body to my 1DX-2 and replaces my EOS M5.

Robin,

Are you shooting with Dual Pixel RAW enabled? If so, what advantage does it give you if you’re not using Canon’s DPP software to do the raw file conversion?

Cheers,

Simon.

That Kestrel shot is a stunner Simon and really should be viewed on your Flickr page to fully appreciate the resolution and colour, I also like the framing too. (y)

Thanks Toni, that’s most appreciated.

Simon. :)

.... Yes, I am now going to post all my EOS R subject stuff in this thread rather than the other one which has got so derailed by various people who shall remain nameless!

I feel that I have contributed quite a lot of EOS R information in the other thread based directly on my experience of using it - I have shared all my thoughts and findings. However, to try and extract it all from the other tangled thread might be a mammoth task. I'll see what I can do about posting some of it at least.

Thank you @Bevvo Craig for starting this thread - You beat me to it!

.... Yes, I am now going to post all my EOS R subject stuff in this thread rather than the other one which has got so derailed by various people who shall remain nameless!

I feel that I have contributed quite a lot of EOS R information in the other thread based directly on my experience of using it - I have shared all my thoughts and findings. However, to try and extract it all from the other tangled thread might be a mammoth task. I'll see what I can do about posting some of it at least.

Thank you @Bevvo Craig for starting this thread - You beat me to it!

You’re welcome Robin. Like you said, finding the worthwhile information in the other thread after it deteriorated was not easy. Hopefully this one will be much more focussed (do you like what I did there?) on the EOS R.

Robin,
Are you shooting with Dual Pixel RAW enabled? If so, what advantage does it give you if you’re not using Canon’s DPP software to do the raw file conversion?

.... Yes I am shooting with Dual Pixel RAW enabled and I only ever shoot RAW.

Independently of which RAW conversion editor is used, my *current understanding is that enabling Dual Pixel RAW is about more than just capturing extra data for DPP to process but is also about exploiting AF capture? < But is it? I am currently a little confused by this.

*I now realise that I have been confusing Dual Pixel RAW with Dual Pixel Autofocus! And so I am now going to disable it and regain a small amount of fps rate.

Thanks for bringing this up, Simon!

Last edited:
.... Yes I am shooting with Dual Pixel RAW enabled and I only ever shoot RAW.

Independently of which RAW conversion editor is used, my *current understanding is that enabling Dual Pixel RAW is about more than just capturing extra data for DPP to process but is also about exploiting AF capture? < But is it? I am currently a little confused by this.

*I now realise that I have been confusing Dual Pixel RAW with Dual Pixel Autofocus! And so I am now going to switch it off and regain a small amount of fps rate.

Thanks for bringing this up, Simon!

No problem Robin. I’d have turned it on if you’d told me there was a performance benefit to using it without resorting to DPP :)

Cheers,

Simon.

I posted this last Sunday - Am just adding info to this thread as and when convenient :

Have been out this afternoon with the R on my Canon EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro and the 1DX-2 on my EF 100-400mm L II + 1.4x III. This is probably the most commonly used combo I will use while minibeasts are around. Result was absolutely as good as expected and the minibeasts today were larger, being frog face portraits, but the same operations apply.

Something I realised from shooting birds in flight on my 1DX-2 is that by selecting INFO when customising my 'star' button for AI SERVO I can add further options to that button. But I haven't found a way to do that on the R as selecting INFO doesn't offer any further additions. It would be counter productive to add it all to a C-mode as an alternative because it's so much faster and easier to roll my thumb to and from the AF-ON BBF button. I hope I make sense. I wanted to select the AF zone when shooting in SERVO with the 'star' button.

P.S. - I'm probably being thick by not finding the further customisations (if they are present!) but there's a lot of customisable options on the R and they're not the same as D-SLR.

Last edited:
After today [last week] I think I have arrived at a conclusion about what this first generation EOS R does and doesn't do for my photography.

I spent the whole of the day wandering around coastal wetlands in Dorset armed with my R + RF 24-105mm and 1DX-2 + EF 500mm plus both 1.4x and 2x Extenders and my Gitzo travel tripod with Flexline Pro head. I started off with the R on the 500mm but soon decided that the 1DX-2 + 500mm was going to be a much more reliable combo to cover all the usual aspects of wildlife action after missing focus on some inflight opportunities. The R is simply too small and lightweight to balance a 500mm prime when handheld and, as already known, badly lacks fps burst rate. Its image quality looks as if it's going to be stellar though when processed - Exposures and colours are top notch.

For my wildlife shots of minibeasts, the best combo for me is the EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro (either with or without a Kenko 1.4x) on the EOS R and especially helped by the Vari-angle screen. The FF EOS R replaces my EOS M5 mirrorless APS-C.

If a future R Pro has a Vari-angle screen (perhaps unlikely) and faster fps burst, plus more weatherproofing, I can see myself part exchanging to upgrade again. Being a dyslexic 17yo at 71, I am happy to fine tune my camera tools and I shoot regularly and sometimes several days a week.

Last edited:
It's always only rumours until Canon make an official announcement but the website Canon Rumors tends to be much more reliable rather than some individual blogger just fishing for clicks and sensation.

So Canon are rumoured to be working on In Body Image Stabilisation (IBIS) :

https://www.canonrumors.co/canon-in-body-image-stabilization-patent-for-eos-r-pro/

Given all the fuss about lack of IBIS with the Canon EOS-R, there was never any doubt IMHO that Canon had both the tech and the willingness to implement IBIS in future models.

This patent shows IBIS in a DSLR style body, though I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be equally applicable to mirrorless. So good news all round (y)

Given all the fuss about lack of IBIS with the Canon EOS-R, there was never any doubt IMHO that Canon had both the tech and the willingness to implement IBIS in future models.

This patent shows IBIS in a DSLR style body, though I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be equally applicable to mirrorless. So good news all round (y)

.... Also the teardown of the EOS R body says that there is even space for it in the current R version body, we are told.

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/10/teardown-of-the-canon-eos-r-mirrorless-camera/

Operating conditions of the Canon “EOS R” and SIGMA’s interchangeable lenses for Canon mount
Thank you for purchasing and using our products.

We would like to announce that, as of this moment SIGMA’s interchangeable lenses for Canon mount in the current lineup do not have any issues with general operation when they are used on the “EOS R”, released by Canon Inc., via their “Mount Adapter EF-EOS R”.

In addition, please note the information below when using our lenses.

1. With SIGMA’s interchangeable lenses, the Digital Lens Optimizer located within the in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function cannot be used. Therefore, please set the Digital Lens Optimizer to [OFF] before shooting.

When the Digital Lens Optimizer is switched [OFF], but “Peripheral illumination correction”, “Chromatic aberration correction” and “Distortion correction”, located within the in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function is switched [ON], the appropriate corrections can be achieved in accordance with the optical characteristics of each lens. This is applicable to lenses listed below which were released after March, 2018, or those of which firmware has been updated to Ver.2.0 or later.

○ Contemporary line
SIGMA 17-70mm F2.8-4 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary ※
SIGMA 18-200mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary ※
SIGMA 18-300mm F3.5-6.3 DC MACRO OS HSM | Contemporary ※
SIGMA 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary
SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Contemporary

○ Art line
SIGMA 18-35mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art
SIGMA 50-100mm F1.8 DC HSM | Art
SIGMA 12-24mm F4 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 24-35mm F2 DG HSM | Art ※
SIGMA 24-70mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Art
SIGMA 24-105mm F4 DG OS HSM | Art
SIGMA 14mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 20mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 24mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 30mm F1.4 DC HSM | Art ※
SIGMA 35mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 50mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 70mm F2.8 DG MACRO | Art
SIGMA 85mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 105mm F1.4 DG HSM | Art
SIGMA 135mm F1.8 DG HSM | Art

○ Sports line
SIGMA 60-600mm F4.5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports
SIGMA 120-300mm F2.8 DG OS HSM | Sports ※
SIGMA 150-600mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Sports
SIGMA 500mm F4 DG OS HSM | Sports ※

※These lenses will be compatible with the in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function by a firmware update to Ver.2.0 which will be announced in the future.

When lenses other than those listed above are used, “Peripheral illumination correction”, “Chromatic aberration correction” and “Distortion correction”, located within the in-camera Lens Aberration Correction function, may cause images to appear abnormal. Therefore please set these correction functions to [OFF] before shooting.

2. When SIGMA’s DC lenses are used, “1.6x (Crop)” will not be set automatically. Please select “1.6x (Crop)” manually.

We will continue verification and provide updates on the operating condition at a later date.

For further assistance please contact Sigma Imaging (UK) Ltd Service Department by email: service@sigma-imaging-uk.com or telephone: 01707 329 999

We appreciate your continued support for our company and products.

And since Canon apparently ‘left a lot of air inside’ there will be room for two card slots as well :)

.... The first version EOS R has only just been released and yet we are discussing the next version already :D

Canon Rumors are suggesting that the next R body to be officially announced will have a lower spec than this first one but that a 'R Pro' may come later in 2019.

I would expect that a R Pro version might have two card slots and IBIS but this can only be speculation. We each have different needs and the only use a second card has for me is overflow.

The other aspect we can speculate about is whether the body shape will be different, just as the only slight variations are in Canon D-SLR body shapes and sizes.

.... The first version EOS R has only just been released and yet we are discussing the next version already :D

Canon Rumors are suggesting that the next R body to be officially announced will have a lower spec than this first one but that a 'R Pro' may come later in 2019.

I would expect that a R Pro version might have two card slots and IBIS but this can only be speculation. We each have different needs and the only use a second card has for me is overflow.

The other aspect we can speculate about is whether the body shape will be different, just as the only slight variations are in Canon D-SLR body shapes and sizes.
I must admit I cant see how a lower spec version would fit in. as this is the mirrorless 6d a lower spec would be a new addition to the canon line up.
I could see a 5d type camera and a 1 series in the line up but not sure what else they could add.
lower rez is just about all I could guess, but that would depart from their dslr line-I guess as this is a new mount we could see a total departure from the eos lines.

I read that too, and attracting more newcomers might make sense from a strategic market positioning point of view, but I can't see many folks around here getting too excited at such a prospect. What we want, and certainly what I want, is a camera which is every inch a match for the 5D4, but with all the usual mirrorless advantages and AF to match Sony.

It seems the EOS R is between a 6DII and 5DIV, I can't see how they could fit in a model below the R. I would assume a lower res sensor would not be cost effective, and assumed a reduction in features somehow.. It will be interesting what they add and take away from a lower model.

I must admit I cant see how a lower spec version would fit in. as this is the mirrorless 6d a lower spec would be a new addition to the canon line up.
I could see a 5d type camera and a 1 series in the line up but not sure what else they could add.
lower rez is just about all I could guess, but that would depart from their dslr line-I guess as this is a new mount we could see a total departure from the eos lines.

.... I don't see how a lower spec would fit into the range either. Unless perhaps a crop-sensor? But that would just be a larger bodied M5 - I think that Canon Rumors may be wrong on this one.

After taking so much trouble to include EF lens mount connectivity (very wisely in my opinion) I don't see Canon departing from the EOS system anytime soon. Afterall they have just added to it with the R. Also, they have just released 2 new EF supertelephoto lenses designed to take advantage of both D-SLR and mirrorless R technologies. They are the EF 400mm F/2.8L III and EF 600mm F/4L III. Apparently an EF 500mm III is coming too.

Either way I shall be enjoying my EOS R and especially when the Control Ring Adapter is available (in weeks, not months). Sure it has limitations but it also has a lot going for it for my purposes. No camera is perfect!

I'm also struggling to think how a lower end EOS R might be specified. Assuming the next EOS R model is indeed FF, the only other lower end FF sensor that has dual pixel focus is the 26 MP sensor in the 6D Mk2, it hardly seems to be worth the effort to re-engineer this sensor for the sake of market differentiation. It would be hard to reduce the burst rate still further, maybe things like the slide bar might disappear, no 4K, lower resolution viewfinder, smaller buffer. The more taken out, the more important the price point is likely to be and those buying into the new model on a budget won't be looking at the 50mm F1.2 or F2 zoom lenses in the short term! Canon surely wouldn't produce and EOS R with an APSC sensor to sit above the M5, would they?

Back