Canon EOS R Series Cameras

.... Fair point IF both RAW and JPEG can indeed be sent to the same single card* < I expect they can. BUT if not it would have meant losing my handheld position (literally in gale force wind gusts) while I reset to and fro between RAW and JPEG while the same subject was on the pavement and as I said in my post, JPEGs were all that were necessary. This whole session of shooting 10 fish species took 33 minutes and was needed in a hurry. I also didn't want to confuse Boots printing machines, which I had never used before, with RAW unsupported CR3 files on the same card. It simply wasn't practical to additionally shoot RAW in the circumstances.

*EDIT: I have checked the EOS R settings and there is the option to shoot both RAW + JPEG. However, as I pointed out before, I wasn't about to let my friend down by not being able to use the Boots print machines immediately after the session.
You mentioned that you would have preferred two slots to Jpeg and RAW, and so I was enquiring as to why you didn't use Jpeg + RAW, with a hunch that you may not know about that option, and it seems I was correct. You then come back and said "as I pointed out before, I wasn't about to let my friend down by not being able to use the Boots print machines immediately after the session". The Boots machines should have just allowed you to print the Jpegs, and and may not have even 'seen' the RAW files. Maybe something to test out at some point in case such an occasion arises again.

Re your lighting question, you have missed what I wrote :

Adding the ON1 Effects and graduated Filter have been applied to enhance my image as a picture rather than just as a photograph with a bland white polystyrene background. The filtration has also brought out the more golden parts of this fish species Zeus faber known as 'John Dory' - derived from the French 'jaune dore' meaning golden yellow.

However, if my picture is not to your taste, that is a different matter.
You mentioned printing in Boot's, but then showed an image that had been edited. Not being sure what the On1 filter effects did, :thinking: I questioned whether I was seeing the image correctly as it was a big departure from a natural image out of a camera. It seems I was. If you are happy with the image, then fine. :)

Sorry for taking an interest and trying to help. :rolleyes:

You mentioned that you would have preferred two slots to Jpeg and RAW, and so I was enquiring as to why you didn't use Jpeg + RAW, with a hunch that you may not know about that option, and it seems I was correct. You then come back and said "as I pointed out before, I wasn't about to let my friend down by not being able to use the Boots print machines immediately after the session". The Boots machines should have just allowed you to print the Jpegs, and and may not have even 'seen' the RAW files. Maybe something to test out at some point in case such an occasion arises again.

You mentioned printing in Boot's, but then showed an image that had been edited. Not being sure what the On1 filter effects did, :thinking: I questioned whether I was seeing the image correctly as it was a big departure from a natural image out of a camera. It seems I was. If you are happy with the image, then fine. :)

Sorry for taking an interest and trying to help. :rolleyes:

.... Hey, no need to take umbrage - I wasn't admonishing you.

Your hunch was right - I didn't know about the option of being able to shoot both JPEG and RAW at the same time on the EOS R. Thank you for bringing it up - It's appreciated.

I had no knowledge of what the Boots machines could or should do and I still don't, also there wasn't time to experiment - The staff there don't even know what RAW is.

The picture I posted here is from the JPEG I brought home in the camera and edited in Capture One later after giving the Boots prints to my friend.

Next time for such a session I might shoot both RAW and JPEG if images are needed in a hurry. Otherwise I prefer to continue only shooting in RAW.

:)

Last edited:
If version 12 had not been ready yet CR3 support would have happened in a .dot update to version 11 as the list shows camera supports have happened in the past [see link to list below in the Version Added column]. But software engineering is trickier than most of us realise and we as consumers just want everything yesterday and also free of charge! :rolleyes:

Nah, I've got 15 years of programming experience, it's still a crappy business decision.

Even Adobe doesn't do it! ;)

There only choosing them for novelty value robin , once there’s loads of bodies out there in full use you can stroke something other than your ego :beer::LOL::LOL::giggle:

Managed to get out this morning before the rain came. The colours only lasted a short while, and 5 minutes after this I was on my way home in driving rain.

.... That's lovely, Simon. A refreshingly uncontrived landscape.

Clearly the R records images just as well on EF as on RF lenses. It's nice and compact without being too small.

Ok, we all love to show off our latest efforts - Don't we? I do! But I am primarily posting these two pictures as examples of EOS R + RF 24-105mm results on yesterday's grey day. They were shot RAW and obviously post-processed (in Capture One Pro which at last supports CR3 files in version 12) and finished in Photoshop CS6. I am only interested in the final results which a camera can deliver and therefore I never post images which are unedited straight out of camera. The camera is just a tool for expressing how I saw the subject - I'm not keen on academia or over-thinking.

Being able to use the Control Ring programmed to adjust and override Auto ISO values when shooting in Manual-mode and see the result plus histogram in the viewfinder is very helpful. WYSIWYG rules!

This flatfish species is a Turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) and my image started out as a quick handheld shot with the fish on a white board on the pavement in the street market where my fishmonger friend was located in Dorset UK.

1 - The overall shot is cropped but not heavily. Distance from the subject is about 5ft with lens @74mm.

2 - The close-up shot is not cropped at all. Distance from the subject is about 2ft with lens @70mm. It is not enlargement of image #1.

TURBOT by Robin Procter, on Flickr

DON&#x27;T MESS WITH MR T! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

I had written in an earlier post that I found the zoom on the RF 24-105mm very stiff and I had hoped it would loosen up. However, in shooting an ever growing number of handheld 'fish-on-a-board-on-the-pavement' photos I am now pleased that the zoom does not slip its focal length through gravity when standing/kneeling directly above the subject. The only lens feature I miss is not being able to lock the zoom at any chosen focal length as on the Canon EF 100-400mm L II but it's not a big deal. I reckon that Canon's lens designers considered that a shorter lighterweight 24-105mm would be less inclined to droop its zoom anyway and so far I think they are right in their attention to such detail. I do love Canon!

What is very evident indeed is the flexibility which the RF 24-105mm offers - Although it won't mount on my 1DX-2 I have no regrets selling my EF 24-70mm to help fund it. The EOS R + 24-105mm is a very practical and compact combo and I'm looking forward to the next mini-beast / insects season when I can mount my EF 100mm Macro on it.

Last edited:

Watched that when it was posted by Thomas. I wouldn’t disagree with a thing he said about the EOS R. However, as I’m not a professional landscape photographer making my living from photography, I’m still really, really enjoying my EOS R and more importantly the images that I’m making using it.

Cheers,

Simon.

Watched that when it was posted by Thomas. I wouldn’t disagree with a thing he said about the EOS R. However, as I’m not a professional landscape photographer making my living from photography, I’m still really, really enjoying my EOS R and more importantly the images that I’m making using it.

Cheers,

Simon.

But what does he actually say, he doesn't like the camera because it's not "revolutionary enough" it's not got any new whistles and bells. He doesn't actually tell you anything about the camera itself. Sixteen minutes of waffle about "falling out of love with Canon" and nothing else.

But what does he actually say, he doesn't like the camera because it's not "revolutionary enough" it's not got any new whistles and bells. He doesn't actually tell you anything about the camera itself. Sixteen minutes of waffle about "falling out of love with Canon" and nothing else.

To be fair, he does state more than once that he’s not going to do any sort of in depth review.

It's like every blogger feels compelled to review the EOS-R for some reason, even when they've got nothing to say that hasn't be said a hundred times before. He wants to replace his 5D4 with something better, though it's not at all clear why, or what he expected from a new mirrorless Canon pitched at a much lower price point :thinking:

In response to your query using the following definitions related to spam etc I would say this:

Definition 1
"Spamming, unsolicited or undesired electronic messages." Yes it was more or less unsolicited, but then many posts are

Definition 2
Email spam, unsolicited, undesired, or illegal email messages. Not guilty

Definition 3
Messaging spam, spam targeting users of instant messaging (IM) services, sms or private messages within websites Not guilty

Definition 4
Spam (food), a canned pork meat product. Not guilty

I'm pretty sure you'll be safe but if in doubt then I agree you should not click for your own peace of mind :)

Last edited:
In response to your query using the following definitions related to spam etc I would say this:

Definition 1
"Spamming, unsolicited or undesired electronic messages." Yes it was more or less unsolicited, but then many posts are

Definition 2
Email spam, unsolicited, undesired, or illegal email messages. Not guilty

Definition 3
Messaging spam, spam targeting users of instant messaging (IM) services, sms or private messages within websites Not guilty

Definition 4
Spam (food), a canned pork meat product. Not guilty

I'm pretty sure you'll be safe but if in doubt then I agree you should not click for your own peace of mind :)

.... Okay, but in the time you have taken for such an unecessarily lengthy reply you could have easily just edited your post #337 to say what it's about - Surely it would only need one line. Anyone reading your post is still none the wiser.

Is it actually about the EOS R, please?

.... Okay, but in the time you have taken for such an unecessarily lengthy reply you could have easily just edited your post #337 to say what it's about - Surely it would only need one line. Anyone reading your post is still none the wiser.

Is it actually about the EOS R, please?

Actually, Robin. You're right. I posted it in the wrong thread. What a balloon! Sorry. I was wondering what you were griping about and thought I'd just give a slightly frivolous ( but essentially good-natured I hope ) reply but I can actually see why you're confused. My mistake and apologies for my error. :oops: :$

It isn't spam or anything nasty it's just a silly song going on about clickbait. It did have a fairly obvious relevance to the thread I thought I had posted it on which had diverted into a discussion about a You - Tuber and my view that one of his videos was just clickbait. I couldn't understand why you were being so pernickety ( it is now obvious you weren't )

Clearly not anything to do with the EOS R. Hmm maybe my impending senility is coming round faster than I thought :(

Last edited:
I've watched a lot of mature reviews on this now and It seems to me that we're at last moving towards some sort of reasonable discussion of the new R on the internet. Once all the silly chatter of fanboys from other brands and people who are more interested in paper specs that mean nothing, than trying to understand how cameras work dies down, I'm guessing we will actually find that Canon knew what they were doing all along. Maybe we can stop ignoring all the pitfalls of tech which others have introduced for marketing purposes perhaps appreciate the qualities the R has.

I wish they hadn't put in that swipe thing at the top right and I wish the on/off switch wasn't there and it would be great if the FPS was a bit better, but it has a lot more going for it than any of the competition at the moment and I can certainly see how, once the price falls a bit, I will be tempted to buy one, next year.

OTOH maybe they will have something even better in the spring? I really really hope they don't put IBIS in any of the new models though.

OTOH maybe they will have something even better in the spring? I really really hope they don't put IBIS in any of the new models though.

.... Like @StewartR I am also wondering why you are hoping that IBIS will not be in any of the new models. If you are someone (like myself for example) whose lenses are all Canon L with IS, those lenses are not going to be compromised by IBIS in a body - Canon would gain absolutely nothing by such a compromise, in fact I think it would contradict much of the integration between EF and RF lenses which Canon has recently introduced. But anyway, I feel confident that there could be a user option to switch IBIS on or off or at the very least the R body with IBIS would be able to recognise whether the mounted lens has IS or not and consequently select IBIS appropriately.

I am very suspicious of IBIS being a double edged sword which can be detrimental IQ. It isn't something I care about so I'd prefer to do without it. I don;'t believe you can entirely switch it off either

I am very suspicious of IBIS being a double edged sword which can be detrimental IQ. It isn't something I care about so I'd prefer to do without it. I don;'t believe you can entirely switch it off either

Don't worry, your feelings won't make any difference to how it actually works.

Roseberry Topping from Gale Rigg.

EOS R + EF16-35mm f4L IS - oversharpening courtesy of Flickr :-(

.... Surely Flickr don't apply any sharpening, or do they?

Last edited:

Bad news coming up then. Not sure if this link's been posted before, but Canon Rumors is reporting that 5-axis IBIS is coming to EOS-R soon. Personally, I don't think Canon can hold out much longer against the obvious benefits of IBIS, for unstabilised primes if nothing else.
https://www.canonrumors.com/5-axis-ibis-coming-to-next-canon-eos-r-series-camera-cr2/

Bad news coming up then. Not sure if this link's been posted before, but Canon Rumors is reporting that 5-axis IBIS is coming to EOS-R soon. Personally, I don't think Canon can hold out much longer against the obvious benefits of IBIS, for unstabilised primes if nothing else.
https://www.canonrumors.com/5-axis-ibis-coming-to-next-canon-eos-r-series-camera-cr2/

It doesn't thrill me, certainly. It's a shame that it seems even Canon have to go against their better judgement and bow to this unnecessary and apparently flawed idea. I kind of get that's Sony's bag but it isn't a good thing

Last edited:
Not just mine

When you turn to the Angry Photographer to support your argument I think you're on a hiding to nothing, so untrustworthy a source even if he's completely right it's best to ignore him.

The point I was alluding to earlier was you're being unreasonable, you can't fairly or logically complain this feature will be a bad one when you haven't even seen how they're going to implement it.

When you turn to the Angry Photographer to support your argument I think you're on a hiding to nothing, so untrustworthy a source even if he's completely right it's best to ignore him.

The point I was alluding to earlier was you're being unreasonable, you can't fairly or logically complain this feature will be a bad one when you haven't even seen how they're going to implement it.

.... Exactly! None of us know how Canon would implement IBIS. Canon may design a form of IBIS which is different and consequently has none, or significantly fewer, of the claimed disadvantages. That anyway assumes that Canon Rumors about this future feature are correct.

Back