Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Nothing particularly special - the 24-105 (EF L) and a 50mm 1.4 I got off here a while ago!

I thought you also had the 200 2.8? did that not work well on the R? How do you find the ISO performance? I do like the look and style of the R, looks a really nice camera to use but it's the no IBIS things makes me hesitate on it.

I thought you also had the 200 2.8? did that not work well on the R? How do you find the ISO performance? I do like the look and style of the R, looks a really nice camera to use but it's the no IBIS things makes me hesitate on it.

Yes I still have that but I didn't use it for the wedding I mean! Personally, I think its a really great one, I'd say the best one I've ever had defnieitly. Definitely the most expensive too!

How does everyone find the somewhat basic looking weather sealing on the R? I really need to move on from my 5dmk2 and it's normal use now is whilst hiking, so it gets rained on. My 5dmk2 doesn't have great weather sealing, but it's good enough that I generally don't care about using it in light rain. Will the R be similar/better? Or will I have to be more careful with it?

Is the R ok with older L lenses (when using the adapter)? eg. 17-40, 24-105? I don't want to change lenses anytime soon.

I've looked everywhere but can't find any info regarding performance with the eos r of older sigma lenses like 105mm f2.8 os, 85mm f1.4 ex and 70-200 f2.8 os

Anyone here used or use them?

How does everyone find the somewhat basic looking weather sealing on the R? I really need to move on from my 5dmk2 and it's normal use now is whilst hiking, so it gets rained on. My 5dmk2 doesn't have great weather sealing, but it's good enough that I generally don't care about using it in light rain. Will the R be similar/better? Or will I have to be more careful with it?

Is the R ok with older L lenses (when using the adapter)? eg. 17-40, 24-105? I don't want to change lenses anytime soon.

In terms of lens, works fine with my 24-105.

Zero complaints at all, not tried it in the rain but I suspect it would be fine given it is built well.

I'm tempted. Just phoned the local shop and it would be ~£2,100 inc the adapter, then £160 cashback. They also match/better MPB used prices. Very tempting given the fact the kit I'd part-ex has just been sat on my office floor doing nothing for a year!

I believe a switch to Sony would be far more expensive just because of lenses, so in reality is a non-starter.

MPB apear to have taken £200 off their EOS R prices since yesterday too. Probably because it was as cheap to buy new due to cash back.

I think that's the main issue with SOny, if you are planning to do wildlife or just fancy some 1.4 primes, then it gets very pricey very quickly. You can of course adapt Canon glass to Sony, but I would bet using Canon EF glass on an R will work so much better

If you don't mind buying grey, the have a look to HDEW. The R is now only £1419 with the adapter brand new - a steal. I know that's where I would buy it

If you don't mind buying grey, the have a look to HDEW. The R is now only £1419 with the adapter brand new - a steal. I know that's where I would buy it

An interesting option. Probably get the same amount of warranty I'd get buying used anyway.

Given that I can get ~£1,300 for some old kit this could work out fairly cheap!

An interesting option. Probably get the same amount of warranty I'd get buying used anyway.

Given that I can get ~£1,300 for some old kit this could work out fairly cheap!

I've boght a couple times from there, and it's only ever taken 5 days for the gear to get to me in Ireland. In the UK they'll be as quick as any other UK site. You're getting Orient prices from the UK, pity they're limited in their range. They used to do Nikon too, and Panasonic. Now seems to be strictly Canon, Olympus and Sigma

thanks - but looking for details on the non sport version. the 70-200mm f2.8 ex os.

i guess no one uses old lenses anymore

I'm sure many do, I do remember at some point when I was looking into the R and RP that I seen or read people giving feedback on the adapter, and I'm certain I've seen the older Sigma 105 in use on one. Finding it is another thing ... .but if I do happen to I'll let you know

I'm sure many do, I do remember at some point when I was looking into the R and RP that I seen or read people giving feedback on the adapter, and I'm certain I've seen the older Sigma 105 in use on one. Finding it is another thing ... .but if I do happen to I'll let you know

cheers. i might have to buy them and do my own videos!

cheers. i might have to buy them and do my own videos!

DO it, I'll sub :D But yeah, I found same when it came to finding info on adapting certain lenses, seemed like only a specific handful of lenses were being used. Example, when looking up the fringer pro, 80% of the videos coming up were about the Sigma 18-35 1.8

MBP selling old kit and buying used = £465
Local camera shop selling old kit and buying new (inc cash back) = £490
MBP + Hdew/Panamoz = £205

It’s tempting to use the local shop really.

MBP selling old kit and buying used = £465
Local camera shop selling old kit and buying new (inc cash back) = £490
MBP + Hdew/Panamoz = £205

It’s tempting to use the local shop really.

Up to yourself obviously, but I'd see the £285 difference as a good chunk of change towards a nice lens. You're over half way to the RF 35mm 1.8 at that

Interesting to look at the prices of the kit.
Hdew = £2,089
WEX = £2,909

That is a huge difference.

Interesting to look at the prices of the kit.
Hdew = £2,089
WEX = £2,909

That is a huge difference.

.... I buy nearly all my camera gear either from WEX or from HDEW and have done so for years. I find that each are excellent and one is able to offer things which the other can't and so which I buy from depends entirely on what I am buying. Basically HDEW have different sources and much less gear choice. Customer Service and aftersales care is equal - I have direct experience of both companies in this respect.

I have just bought a RF 24-240mm from Wex which is being delivered tomorrow. My RF 24-105mm will probably be for sale on TP initially unless I don't like the RF 24-240mm.

.... I have used the EOS-R in light rain and in light snow (up Bulgarian mountains in winter) without any problems whatsoever. However, I believe in looking after my camera gear rather than abusing it. A good friend of mine had a major water ingress problem on his 5D4 needing an expensive repair, so there are no guarantees!

I use my EOS-R + Control Ring EF Adapter regularly on EF lenses : All L lenses and all delivering excellent image quality. Check out my EOS-R album on Flickr :

https://www.flickr.com/photos/114775606@N07/albums/72157703352623054

My other body is a 1DX2. I hope this helps.

Lovely shots Redrobin!

Yea, been following this Happy Gilmore guy and he did some comparisons against Z6 and A7III using native & adapted lenses.

Always thought adapted lenses will have issues here and there but it seems ok

CONGRATULATIONS COURTNEY!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ Shot on my EOS-R + RF 24mm-105mm @105mm F/4.5.

I am receiving a RF 24-240mm today and will be testing it at an agricultural show this Saturday. I'll post my thoughts about it here in due course but apart from a lesser degree of weatherproofing I am expecting it to be just as sharp as Canon will have a lot riding on this their first lens of this type. I won't be doing anything scientific but just making sure I can achieve image quality to my usual standard.

New EOS-R camera could have a 80mp sensor! Who here is excited about that?

It'll have dual slots too, but will be £4K and they're omitting touch screen and 4K 24p just so Canon users don't get too excited :ROFLMAO:

Kidding of course, or am I Canon? :thinking:

CONGRATULATIONS COURTNEY!! by Robin Procter, on Flickr

^ Shot on my EOS-R + RF 24mm-105mm @105mm F/4.5.

I am receiving a RF 24-240mm today and will be testing it at an agricultural show this Saturday. I'll post my thoughts about it here in due course but apart from a lesser degree of weatherproofing I am expecting it to be just as sharp as Canon will have a lot riding on this their first lens of this type. I won't be doing anything scientific but just making sure I can achieve image quality to my usual standard.

That 24-105 looks a top lens, looks about the best 'kit' lens for any of the ML offerings today. With the falling prices I would really be tempted by an R kit if only the camera had IBIS. I know, I know ... it shouldn't matter so much, but it does to me, can't 'shake' it off :)

New EOS-R camera could have a 80mp sensor! Who here is excited about that?

.... CanonRumors are telling us this :

https://www.canonrumors.co/canon-eos-rs-high-megapixel-full-frame-mirrorless-camera-rumored-specs/

If you are a landscape photographer then a 80mp sensor has more benefits. But super high mp sensor cameras have historically always tended to have a trade off. It all depends what subjects you shoot and your computing power at home.

Personally I am more excited by the EOS-RX equivalent to the D-SLR 1DX series possibly due in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics.

Lovely shots Redrobin!

Always thought adapted lenses will have issues here and there but it seems ok

.... Thanks for the compliment (and encouragement!).

I have had my EOS-R and extensively used a variety of EF L lenses mounted with the Control Ring Adapter for a year now and have not experienced any problems. I often shoot several hundred images per week. Images are comparable with those shot on my 1DX-2. Neither have I read or seen any reports of any EF Adapter issues.

If Canon had got their EF Adapter wrong it would have very seriously screwed up both sales and confidence in their new RF system.

New v1.4 firmware to be released on the 26th;
  • Enhances eye detection Auto Focus (AF) for improved face and eye recognition at greater distances.
  • Improved Auto Focus (AF) performance helps the camera to focus on and track smaller subjects.
  • Reduces lag time between the actual Auto Focus (AF) and the AF frame display for images in the viewfinder or on the LCD.
  • Fixes a phenomenon in which the AF frame size cannot be changed in the Servo AF setting.
  • Fixes PTP communication vulnerability.

That 24-105 looks a top lens, looks about the best 'kit' lens for any of the ML offerings today. With the falling prices I would really be tempted by an R kit if only the camera had IBIS. I know, I know ... it shouldn't matter so much, but it does to me, can't 'shake' it off :)

.... For whatever it's worth, the RF 24-240mm is Canon's first lens with their new Dynamic IS, also their latest nano motors. Consensus of opinion seems to be that in-lens stabilisation is superior to, or has advantages over, IBIS. According to reports/interviews, Canon won't release an IBIS feature until they are convinced theirs is better than lens IS.

.... For whatever it's worth, the RF 24-240mm is Canon's first lens with their new Dynamic IS, also their latest nano motors. Consensus of opinion seems to be that in-lens stabilisation is superior to, or has advantages over, IBIS. According to reports/interviews, Canon won't release an IBIS feature until they are convinced theirs is better than lens IS.

That's all well and good for them, but their customers want that lovely IBIS for primes and zooms that do not have OIS - really wish Canon would cop on to that front. I hope the 24-240 is a stonking lens tbh, I would like to see Canon still competitive, they need lenses like this to lure in the on-the-fencers

That's all well and good for them, but their customers want that lovely IBIS for primes and zooms that do not have OIS - really wish Canon would cop on to that front. I hope the 24-240 is a stonking lens tbh, I would like to see Canon still competitive, they need lenses like this to lure in the on-the-fencers

.... I managed very well indeed when I had my non-IS Canon EF 400mm F/4L which is famous for being a cracking lens. Apart from when using my EF Macro lens I often have IS switched to mode-3 which only actions IS at the exact instant the shutter is fired - The reason for this is to maximise the speed of AF, especially when tracking moving wildlife.

IS is more useful on super telephoto lenses because movements are visually amplified but not necessary when tripod mounted.

Much much earlier in this thread I posted an interview with a Canon design official (an English guy) in which he said that Canon were working on their own IBIS version but I think it was him who also said that it wouldn't be released until Canon were confident in it.

I have obviously been playing with my new toy (RF 24-240mm superzoom) but the acid test will be in the field (literally!) on Saturday when I intend to use it exclusively at an agricultural show in Somerset. I have already come to some conclusions about pros and cons versus my RF 24-105mm and will report my findings and opinions all in one post.

The bottom line has got to be whether the new lens' image quality to the naked eye is up to the standard I want for my shots even if the RF 24-105mm has the edge. I am not anticipating any alarming loss of IQ to the naked eye on the wildlife subjects I usually shoot.

Too little, too late. Everyone will be locked into Sony or Nikon by then. Honestly don't know what Canon are at, it's like they want to be left behind

I don't entirely agree. But you already know that I'm a committed Canon fanboy :D with too much gear invested in Canon and that I'm not unhappy with it.

I think that the D-SLR 1DX Mark 3 will be out in time for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics next summer but the rumours are now telling us that a mirrorless EOS-R 1DX equivalent won't be until 2021. Personally I can continue to shoot very happily with my D-SLR 1DX-2 and EOS-R with both EF and RF lenses and decide which body to trade up in 2021. Ideally I would want to still have two bodies because of the subjects I shoot often needing an absolutely fast as possible change of lens use without faffing around unmounting/mounting lenses on one body.

.... I managed very well indeed when I had my non-IS Canon EF 400mm F/4L which is famous for being a cracking lens. Apart from when using my EF Macro lens I often have IS switched to mode-3 which only actions IS at the exact instant the shutter is fired - The reason for this is to maximise the speed of AF, especially when tracking moving wildlife.

IS is more useful on super telephoto lenses because movements are visually amplified but not necessary when tripod mounted.

Much much earlier in this thread I posted an interview with a Canon design official (an English guy) in which he said that Canon were working on their own IBIS version but I think it was him who also said that it wouldn't be released until Canon were confident in it.

I managed for a couple decades without IBIS or VR/VC/OIS too ... but after getting a taste for the on board IBIS that works with any lens attached, it's hard to pull away from [I used the shake joke already right?] I see no reason why any ML body these days cannot have it. I wouldn't have went near Fuji again if the H1 didn't exist tbh.

Even getting past that, The R is priced in or around an A7III depending where you look. And if it wasn't for Sony's over-priced FF lens line up outside of a bare few budget options, then it would seem the better direction. Thing is, I don't like the idea of that, I don't like that everyone thinks they have to go Sony to get what they need. The others are lagging and will continue to lag behind, unless they cop on. Silly single card slots, over priced specific type cards only [Nikon Z] no IBIS [R series], crap naive lens selection for the more budget conscious photographer/videographer, crop 4K video, re-hashing older sensors that put them behind before the off etc ... Trust me, I don't want them to fail. I love the look of the R, I love the look of the Z6 also, but they don't seem to get it. £2K new mount only lenses is not the way to go! who is that pleasing? the minority of pro photographers who can make that cash back within a couple weeks? I mean, we're getting used to simple 35 and 50mm 1.8 lenses that cost £600+!! they've trained us all in well

Last edited:
I managed for a couple decades without IBIS or VR/VC/OIS too ... but after getting a taste for the on board IBIS that works with any lens attached, it's hard to pull away from [I used the shake joke already right?] I see no reason why any ML body these days cannot have it. I wouldn't have went near Fuji again if the H1 didn't exist tbh.

.... I don't know enough about the technicalities to suggest reasons why Canon to date don't have IBIS but I do know that digital cameras have become increasingly complex and also that Canon are still developing everything around their new RF mount design and all that it affects.

I did notice and grin about your witty 'shake joke'.

Yep, I fully understand and agree about what happens when you get a taste for something whether it's a particular chocolate (I can strongly recommend Galaxy Cookie Crumble!) or a high performance car which once you know it well any mundane car feels not only extremely dull but actually unsafe! 130,000 miles later I am still in love! I haven't used an IBIS camera yet.

I just went to look at cameras.

I tried the EOS R, A7 III, A7R III.

I am so very confused.

A7 III is out because I'd rather pay the extra and get higher quality for my landscapes with the A7R, also the EVF is poor.

A7R III:
+ Appears well built and solid (inc lenses)
+ Small and light (I come from a 5d and 7d)
+ More MPs (useful for my landscapes)
+ Better DR
+ 2 card slots (probably doesn't really matter. I've had one dead card in 15 years and that was a CF card)
- The grip. My fingers touch the lens.
- It will cost more. Probably.
- EVF is poor

EOS R:
+ I have lenses already
+ Good and familiar layout/menus (though I don't use them that often, so menus being better isn't that big of a deal for me)
+ Good ergonomics for the grip (much more space between grip and lens)
+ Cheaper
+ EVF feels just like optical, it's vastly better than the Sony
- Build quality really concerns me. I'm surprised the new RF lenses are so plasticky too. I am worried I'd break it when throwing it in my backpack to go hiking.
- 1 card slot (as above, probably not really that big of a problem)

Biggest factors for me:

A7R III:
+ Build quality
+ Image quality
- Horrible grip
- More expensive

EOS R:
+ Cheaper
+ I have lenses already
- Build quality

I really don't know what to do. Why does every camera seem to have fairly major flaws?

I am fairly disappointed in the build quality of the EOS R and RF lenses. The lenses especially. They're meant to be pro lenses but are super plasticky and no where near the build of even my cheaper L lenses.

I am so very confused.

A7 III is out because I'd rather pay the extra and get higher quality for my landscapes with the A7R, also the EVF is poor.

A7R III:
+ Better DR
+ 2 card slots (probably doesn't really matter. I've had one dead card in 15 years and that was a CF card)
- EVF is poor

EOS R:
+ I have lenses already
+ Good and familiar layout/menus (though I don't use them that often, so menus being better isn't that big of a deal for me)
+ Cheaper
- Build quality really concerns me. I'm surprised the new RF lenses are so plasticky too. I am worried I'd break it when throwing it in my backpack to go hiking.

Biggest factors for me:

A7R III:
+ Build quality
+ Image quality
- Horrible grip
- More expensive

EOS R:
+ Cheaper
+ I have lenses already
- Build quality

I really don't know what to do. Why does every camera seem to have fairly major flaws?

I am fairly disappointed in the build quality of the EOS R and RF lenses. The lenses especially. They're meant to be pro lenses but are super plasticky and no where near the build of even my cheaper L lenses.

.... Ultimately only you can decide which camera suits you best and so I do not seek to persuade you. I will say though that no camera or lens is perfect!

In response to your concern about RF lens build quality I found this teardown for you to digest and form an opinion. I know this one is a mega expensive RF lens but it's the only RF teardown I could find quickly :

https://www.lensrentals.com/blog/2018/12/disassembly-of-the-canon-rf-50mm-f1-2l/

Note their conclusion :
"So, What Did We Learn Today?
I wish we had enough time (and the guts) to disassemble further into the front internal and external rings, but we weren’t pushing our luck today. We already suffer from PBBA-SD (Post Ball Bearing Accident Stress Disorder) and have experienced a couple of episodes of TSAKI (touched sensor and killed it), so we’re a little nervous about going further in this lens. At the time of this disassembly, it was not replaceable. We’ll have to come back and do that at a later time; when it might be relatively OK if we mess a lens up.

What we did see, though, is the R lenses are not only entirely new optics, they are also largely new electrical and mechanical systems. There are a lot of different things in here that we haven’t seen in any Canon EF lenses. Some of them we should have expected, like the increased electronics going to the control ring. Others we don’t really understand yet, like the tension spring in the ring USM motor or the increased electrical shielding.

Some days we show off our amazing disassembly skills doing tear-downs. Some days, we get overconfident, decide we can do anything in two hours, look inside, get overwhelmed, and beat a fairly hasty retreat. This was one of those latter days. We’ll be back on a day when there are plenty in stock and we can set aside 4 or 5 hours to explore.

In the meantime, we’ll have to settle for seeing the same ‘best in field’ optical adjustability we expect in Canon lenses. We also saw lots of new stuff we don’t completely understand yet and a level of complexity we weren’t expecting. Complexity and our lack of familiarity with the lens make things seem a bit more chaotic than they really are, but certainly, this isn’t quite as modular as most new Canon lenses are.

But one thing that is very clear: the RF lenses contain some new technology they haven’t used before. There’s a lot of engineering that’s gone into these. Things are different inside here. As we’ll see in the next teardown we do, some of that is carrying over to at least some EF lenses. What does this mean? It means Canon has invested very heavily into developing the lenses of the R system. This level of engineering didn’t all happen in the last year, they’ve been working on this for quite a while.
"

Regarding the build quality of the EOS-R body, I can only say that having used mine regularly outdoors for a year including up snowy mountains and light rain and with heavy EF supertelephoto lenses mounted, I am confident in its build quality but I don't throw any of my camera gear about like some people do! I look after my gear because I want it to look after my photographic efforts - Use it but don't abuse it. I shoot nearly every single day.

I am so very confused.

A7R III:
+ Better DR
- EVF is poor

EOS R:
+ I have lenses already
+ Cheaper

Biggest factors for me:

A7R III:
+ Build quality
+ Image quality
- Horrible grip
- More expensive

EOS R:
+ Cheaper
+ I have lenses already
- Build quality

Well it shows how very different people are, most reviewers, even the ones who slated the R, hailed it as possibly the most comfortable ML camera to use and say the build quality is decent. The lenses would be a lot heavier if they were all metal, they don't look flimsy but I've not held one. Again most reviewers say the lenses feel really nice so I can only go on that. It depends on your priorities then really, only you can decide.

Back