Canon EOS R Series Cameras

How is your AF setup?
I use single point, I use back button focus using AF-ON, I have the * button configured for EYE AF.
So I can put the spot on a subject then hit * and it activates EYE AF

Takes some practice but works like a charm
I have the same issues as Tony with the multiple squares locking onto just about anything.....

Paul it sounds like I have customised my buttons similarly to yours......I don’t quite follow where you start with single point? Do you mean yo don’t start off in the tracking mode....?

I have the same issues as Tony with the multiple squares locking onto just about anything.....

Paul it sounds like I have customised my buttons similarly to yours......I don’t quite follow where you start with single point? Do you mean yo don’t start off in the tracking mode....?
I just don't get it. I set it up as per the canon literature but the results are disappointing.
Single point is how I'm currently using my R5 but it's far from ideal.

Any recommendations on a third part battery or do you advise sticking with Canon one for the R5?

Do you have eye detection off....your top left? My second one down top left On the pic below?View attachment 308568
Yes I had eye detection off today but animal detection on, I thought that bird was too small and too far away but it might work.

I have zero experience at shooting birds, i'm just using them to test the camera at the moment.

Yes I had eye detection off today but animal detection on, I thought that bird was too small and too far away but it might work.

I have zero experience at shooting birds, i'm just using them to test the camera at the moment.
Same here just practising.......just a thought don’t you still have to have the eye detection on for animals as well....?

Has anybody used a non-Canon adapter for EF lenses? If so, which one and is it effective?

Good morning all, does anyone have the link to the canon loan program website? It seems that I have deleted the email I was sent by canon and can’t find the webpage. Thanks

My settings.

IMG_3048.JPG
I stay on spot AF, using AF-ON to focus, then when I need to track I press * to activate EYE-AF, if you continue to hold down the * button then it'll continue to track using EYE-AF.
I went out and tested it this morning with the R5 and RF 100-500mm and it works perfectly.

If the bird is in front of a busy background I put the spot AF point on the bird, then activate EYE-AF.

In terms of AF I'm using case 2 with both tracking and accel/decel set to -1

Last edited:
My settings.

View attachment 308676
I stay on spot AF, using AF-ON to focus, then when I need to track I press * to activate EYE-AF, if you continue to hold down the * button then it'll continue to track using EYE-AF.
I went out and tested it this morning with the R5 and RF 100-500mm and it works perfectly.

If the bird is in front of a busy background I put the spot AF point on the bird, then activate EYE-AF.

In terms of AF I'm using case 2 with both tracking and accel/decel set to -1
That's brilliant....I had * set to turn eye detection on and off and didn't realise you could use * for eye af.....it looks much easier getting a fix with single point af and then utilising the * button for eye focus tracking........thank you.....

In case anyone’s a bit miffed about lack of r adapters at the moment, I bought a JJC ef/rf adapter off Amazon for my R, as the comtrol ring adapter is now on the R6. Arrived last night, 50 quid, works perfectly. The tripod mount unscrews too, so you’re not left with the lump on the bottom of it.

In case anyone’s a bit miffed about lack of r adapters at the moment, I bought a JJC ef/rf adapter off Amazon for my R, as the comtrol ring adapter is now on the R6. Arrived last night, 50 quid, works perfectly. The tripod mount unscrews too, so you’re not left with the lump on the bottom of it.
Thanks for the info. I will have a look.

Honestly it's worth waiting for the adapter
I can't believe my luck! I was looking on LCE's website, refreshed the page and a used adapter came up! Should be with me tomorrow. Now I need to make my mind up regarding the 70-200. That Sigma looks like its delivering excellent results. Were those bird photographs handheld?

I can't believe my luck! I was looking on LCE's website, refreshed the page and a used adapter came up! Should be with me tomorrow. Now I need to make my mind up regarding the 70-200. That Sigma looks like its delivering excellent results. Were those bird photographs handheld?
Excellent result, yes all shots handheld, it has 2 OS modes, I presume one is for panning but haven't had time to have a play yet.

Anyone using a Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS lens on an R? I'm not sure whether to go for that or the EF 70-200 f4 L IS - can't afford the RF version and need lens IS as I don't have an R6/R5 with ibis.

A couple from todays walk R5 24-105mm F4. The first one OOC only changed from raw to Jpeg to upload.

50949278138_ce08a51b9d_k.jpg50950082007_2321dd74b6_k.jpg

Anyone using a Canon EF 70-300 4-5.6L IS lens on an R? I'm not sure whether to go for that or the EF 70-200 f4 L IS - can't afford the RF version and need lens IS as I don't have an R6/R5 with ibis.
yes I have the 70-300 L IS Mark 2 (the nano one) and it is absolutely fine!

Back