Canon EOS R Series Cameras

To move between AF points, I use the touchscreen instead.... in fact I used that so often that it helped me to focus on the subject that I wanted (y)
I think wooster is talking about switching AF modes easily rather than the actual moving of the AF point.

Yes the nearest way I've considered is using the control ring to select focus mode and move it between AF point and eye AF while using the shutter button for either.
Sounds good - is that possible? I know for flash compensation you have to hold down an extra button to get the control ring to activate and actually change the setting

Another with my Nikon 300mm f/4 with adaptor on the Canon R6

AF8A1157 3 by Gilbo B, on Flickr

Hi. I’m looking at the possibility of upgrading my trusty 5D MkII to an R5 in the new year.

I’ve glanced through this thread but over a 100 pages so may have missed Previous answers. A couple of questions please?

Has anybody here made that change rather than from the MkIII or MkIV - how did you find the change in terms of image quality and usage?

How is the R5 with using original EF lenses? I have the 16-35L 24-105L and 100-400L and which adapter is best? Is the control ring worth the extra?

Finally, the image size will be double what I’m used to. How do you find processing? My 2013 iMac is fine for current use with LR and PS but wonder if it’ll be maxed out with the 45MB?

thanks all!
I have a 2013 iMac and had an ssd installed plus I was able to upgrade the ram…made it considerably faster but I use affinity for editing…….

Sounds good - is that possible? I know for flash compensation you have to hold down an extra button to get the control ring to activate and actually change the setting
Yes I'm pretty sure I tried it and it works. I will make doubly sure tomorrow. It's not as handy as the two back button method but if you want to minimise thumb movement its not a bad way :)

This is what I loved about my Fujis. They kept improving at no cost. Glad to see Canon are following some way in this direction. I have to say I am amazed at how good the R5 is already but any improvements will be most welcome. :)

difficult to imagine any need to upgrade at this point, but doubtless we will at some point :)
Not exactly upgrade, but for me I get the urge to just use micro 4/3 sometimes instead! Big soft spot for the lumix G9 which does a lot… do I really need the R5

Not exactly upgrade, but for me I get the urge to just use micro 4/3 sometimes instead! Big soft spot for the lumix G9 which does a lot… do I really need the R5
Plus I don’t like the speed issues I encounter. Say, I’m shooting a bunch of stills in Raw & JPEG and then need to flick quickly to shooting 4K 60 video, there’s a good pause of a few seconds or so while it saves images and then I can begin recording. Not that I do them much, but I did a wedding last weekend and it didn’t cause some stress. It’s ironic that I never encounter speed issues or buffering even with my “lowly” lumix G95 and G100!

Any recommendations on sensor cleaning fluid for the R6 & R5. Anybody recently cleaned there sensor successfully? Just looking to purchase something safe :). I have a a small residue mark on mine and it didn't come away with a dry swab

Can anyone tell me the length of the ef to r adapter?
Toying again with the Possibly of an RP
Had adapters with my Fuji kit some were quite bulky

Hi all, since the end of lockdown I have mainly been doing Model, sports & band photography. However in the last couple of months I have had a serious amount of model publications and so now I have decided that I need something more challenging, so have been getting some wildlife practice in at a local reserve and have become hooked using my M6 Mark II and would love to go Full Frame mirrorless with either the R6 or R5.

I will still do model photography occasionally but really want to concentrate on Wildlife, Gig, Sports, for which I will be looking to do as often as possible. Now the dilemma I have got is do I go for the R6 which has the slightly better ISO / EV range or the R5 which has the higher MP giving better cropping ability which could be deemed more useful for wildlife. I was wondering if any R5 users on here have done Gig photography of bands at their local venues & for R6 users, how they have found photographing BIF ?

Many thanks

. I was wondering if any R5 users on here have done Gig photography of bands at their local venues & for R6 users, how they have found photographing BIF ?

Not a R user (ATM) but I have used the R5 for a weekend. I currently use a Sony a9 and 200-600mm for wildlife shooting and I do find 24mp quite restrictive.

The trouble is with wildlife/BIF shooting is unless you can afford the big fast lenses (500mm/600mm) and use extenders you really are limited to slower consumer zooms up to 600mm atm (RF 800mm f/11 being the exception) and you will find that is never enough ... so you have to look at cropping ability. I don't do gig photography so can't say anything about the low ISO.

Hi all, since the end of lockdown I have mainly been doing Model, sports & band photography. However in the last couple of months I have had a serious amount of model publications and so now I have decided that I need something more challenging, so have been getting some wildlife practice in at a local reserve and have become hooked using my M6 Mark II and would love to go Full Frame mirrorless with either the R6 or R5.

I will still do model photography occasionally but really want to concentrate on Wildlife, Gig, Sports, for which I will be looking to do as often as possible. Now the dilemma I have got is do I go for the R6 which has the slightly better ISO / EV range or the R5 which has the higher MP giving better cropping ability which could be deemed more useful for wildlife. I was wondering if any R5 users on here have done Gig photography of bands at their local venues & for R6 users, how they have found photographing BIF ?

Many thanks
The current double cashback on both is very attractive. I test drove the R6 in the summer and it seemed good for my needs. For me heart says R5 and head says R6. The cashback makes the choice easier for me as the R6 is half the price of the R5. The difference goes a long way to covering some of the costs of getting the RF 14-35 f4 and 70-200 f4 (they would make a good compact landscape kit).

Don’t think you can go too wrong with either the R5 or R6. It’s whether you can stretch to the cost of the R5.

I’m currently looking at trade in values for me Sony mirrorless kit. I moved from Nikon to Sony around 3 years ago when downsizing kit but haven’t really gelled with the Sony kit like I did with Nikon. Canon and Nikon are now on the mirrorless scene. Sony can’t offer the compactness of the canon mirrorless f4 lenses or a 300mm f4 (f5.6 zoom lens for me caused higher iso 6400 than I’d like and has been difficult keeping good shutter speeds for wildlife when I shoot early in the morning). I can’t afford a 400mm f2.8 mirrorless so it’s a question of looking a canons because of the older EF lens performance on the r cameras. I’m thinking of an EF 300mm f4 for wildlife and RF 14-35 & 70-200 f4s for landscapes (and wildlife use too).

Not a R user (ATM) but I have used the R5 for a weekend. I currently use a Sony a9 and 200-600mm for wildlife shooting and I do find 24mp quite restrictive.

The trouble is with wildlife/BIF shooting is unless you can afford the big fast lenses (500mm/600mm) and use extenders you really are limited to slower consumer zooms up to 600mm atm (RF 800mm f/11 being the exception) and you will find that is never enough ... so you have to look at cropping ability. I don't do gig photography so can't say anything about the low ISO.
Yes you make a good point there, going by some videos and real life reviews, even the prime RF lens which are F8, produce fantastic results at a reasonable cost and word is that Sigma are going to be releasing some RF glass next year, so could be even cheaper still for a reasonable lens. With wildlife cropping can be essential especially for smaller birds, so the 45mp would definitely come in handy there.
The current double cashback on both is very attractive. I test drove the R6 in the summer and it seemed good for my needs. For me heart says R5 and head says R6. The cashback makes the choice easier for me as the R6 is half the price of the R5. The difference goes a long way to covering some of the costs of getting the RF 14-35 f4 and 70-200 f4 (they would make a good compact landscape kit).

Don’t think you can go too wrong with either the R5 or R6. It’s whether you can stretch to the cost of the R5.

I’m currently looking at trade in values for me Sony mirrorless kit. I moved from Nikon to Sony around 3 years ago when downsizing kit but haven’t really gelled with the Sony kit like I did with Nikon. Canon and Nikon are now on the mirrorless scene. Sony can’t offer the compactness of the canon mirrorless f4 lenses or a 300mm f4 (f5.6 zoom lens for me caused higher iso 6400 than I’d like and has been difficult keeping good shutter speeds for wildlife when I shoot early in the morning). I can’t afford a 400mm f2.8 mirrorless so it’s a question of looking a canons because of the older EF lens performance on the r cameras. I’m thinking of an EF 300mm f4 for wildlife and RF 14-35 & 70-200 f4s for landscapes (and wildlife use too).
The cash back off will definitely help, I can stretch to the R5, thankfully now that winter is here, there will be less paying out on train fares to shoots etc, so will be easier to save and get the R5 for about March time. The EF 300 F4 is a beautiful lens for wildlife and will serve you well.

Quick question has anyone cropped an R6 image then used Lightroom's new super resolution feature to increase the MP back to what it was (20MP) or increase it further (30MP+)? I'm just wondering if with these types of features if it gives more room to crop on a low MP camera.

Quick question has anyone cropped an R6 image then used Lightroom's new super resolution feature to increase the MP back to what it was (20MP) or increase it further (30MP+)? I'm just wondering if with these types of features if it gives more room to crop on a low MP camera.

As I said, my a9 is 24mp and after processing and converting to Jpeg I am often left with a 1 or 2 MB file. I use Gigapixel to upscale at 3200 width which normally gives me a 5/6 MB file. I don't need anything bigger than that so have never tried larger.

R5 is great for gigs no doubt about that. I expect R6 would be too, but not tried that so can’t compare.

As I said, my a9 is 24mp and after processing and converting to Jpeg I am often left with a 1 or 2 MB file. I use Gigapixel to upscale at 3200 width which normally gives me a 5/6 MB file. I don't need anything bigger than that so have never tried larger.
That is really interesting to know as have heard of sone ridiculous file sizes with gigapixel.
R5 is great for gigs no doubt about that. I expect R6 would be too, but not tried that so can’t compare.
Now that is great to know as I was concerned that the R6 has a better advantage for venues, I know that noise can be dealt with easy enough through the likes of Topaz & DXO etc, but would be nice to be able to get clean images to begin with. I know of course this will vary on lighting and how wide open you can shoot.

That is really interesting to know as have heard of sone ridiculous file sizes with gigapixel.

Now that is great to know as I was concerned that the R6 has a better advantage for venues, I know that noise can be dealt with easy enough through the likes of Topaz & DXO etc, but would be nice to be able to get clean images to begin with. I know of course this will vary on lighting and how wide open you can shoot.

Has anyone got any recommendations for an intervalometer for the R5/R6?
TIA

Hi, does anyone use a Samyang 85m rf? I have an issue where it starts up always in MF then gets it s*** together and finally switches to AF.

I shoot with 2 R6's at weddings and use the 28-70mm the majority of the time with the second body with the 85mm just swinging on my holdfast so it happens when it kind of 'goes to sleep". Latest firmware for everything btw. Anything to try? Thanks!

This video here is interesting. It backs up the one linked in above post 4,429 and certainly made my decision to go for the R5 a lot easier. The relevant part is from 11mins 35 secs

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-Y_zJJAFAc

Last edited:
Meant to also say, the other thing that was noticeable was just how much less of a difference the higher number of megapixels made. I knew megapixels wasn't as big a deal as many feel but I would have thought there would be a much more striking difference between these two, given that the A7R IV has over 5 times as many as the A7S III

one of the influencer that I wouldn't even consider to watch.
Fair enough and I sympathise with your point of view, but if you did watch this particular part of this particular video, you would see there are some fairly telling examples of the point in question.

Even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

I would love to purchase the R5 as a friend of mine has one. The Eye AF is amazing human or animal and tge size and weight is a massive bonus.
As tge R5 is apx £4,500 thatbis a shed load of wedge to spend ( i am no pro ) so the R6 seems to the obvious next choice.
However, I would always wish I had saved aittle bit longer and got the R5 !

Is that a fair reflection ! ?

Back