Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Rob / James / Robin

as you can see the Action X 70 with the XL DV insert I have knocking about is not cutting the mustard

I want a backpack for an R5/convertor/1.4 extender/500f4ii all connected rather than assembling it on site

reading loads of reviews and I now seem to be hovering between the Lowepro lenstrekker 600 and Vanguard Alta Sky 66

leaning towards the Lowepro looks better built to me but is heavier

Like many around here I am a bit of a bag hoarder and whichever bag I buy I am in for a load of grief

I just need to make sure I get the right one and any help appreciated

which would folks around here go for and does anyone have any experience to help me decide?

thanks

DaveView attachment 351143

Yeah, I think the 600 AW Trekker is the one I’m gonna end up having to buy.

I received the lens today; and I’ve just tried it in my current bag (an old Lowepro Rover) and it ‘just’ fits.
No chance of it with an extender though.

I’m actually surprised at how light the lens feels though!

thanks Chipper

was that the glass limo (I like think tank / mind shift and the smaller bag does appeal)

and was that a tight fit? - I have an adapter to accomodate

Dave

The limo was the other one I was looking at the other day. The stock photo they have shows it being real snug with a pro / gripped body.
Definitely not enough room with the adapter on it.

Thanks very much.

Yeah, I think that’s the one I meant.
Their library photos used for it seem to show quite a snug fit with the 500.
So it’ll obviously be no good with the adapter too. Let alone with the possibility of a 1.4x attached as well at some point…

The Lowepro 600 aw trekker looks a good bet. But I think that may bury it - and be a bit too overkill :D
I have the Lowerpro 600 AW and in all fairness the 500 with a 1DX MKII on it fitted lovely with just enough space above for both the tc's. The 300 with the adaptor and 1.4x tc and R3 takes up about the same space.

Rob / James / Robin

as you can see the Action X 70 with the XL DV insert I have knocking about is not cutting the mustard

I want a backpack for an R5/convertor/1.4 extender/500f4ii all connected rather than assembling it on site

reading loads of reviews and I now seem to be hovering between the Lowepro lenstrekker 600 and Vanguard Alta Sky 66

leaning towards the Lowepro looks better built to me but is heavier

Like many around here I am a bit of a bag hoarder and whichever bag I buy I am in for a load of grief

I just need to make sure I get the right one and any help appreciated

which would folks around here go for and does anyone have any experience to help me decide?

thanks

Dave
Vanguard backpacks are very comfortable, if that helps with the decision making. I have the Alta Sky 51D. Great bag.

arrrrrgh!

Ed....

I was ready to pull the trigger on a lens trekker when you chipped in with the comfort thing

thanks for the feedback

Kevin - do you find that the lens trekker transfers weight to the hips well?

I've found that many bags which say they do actually don't

thanks

Dave

A few images of Birds and a Meerkat that is most definitely NSFW. All taken with R5 & Tamron 100-400, the bird images were taken at 400mm (F6.3), heavily cropped 1/4000 Iso 12800. Electronic shutter. Used Topaz to filter out noise.

AED727EE-86D1-4702-9151-4D96CF19704E.jpeg3099D7DE-8339-486B-A6F1-926F3B8AB6FF.jpegFFCFCDAF-74C0-436A-A96E-EF244E68F826.jpeg6997749C-E054-4C1E-BF2F-BCB668C68F38.jpeg

Last edited:
Has anyone tried using close up filters (achromat) with the R5 ?
I’m using one for macro with Canon 100 IS and I’ve been finding that the autofocus is out when I attach the achromatic to the lens on the R5 , never had this issue before
The auto focus is absolutely fine without the achromatic
I’ve been using the Marumi one for a few years now previously with my Canon 6D 2 with good results using autofocus
I’ve started using the R5 focus stacking feature with the 100L and it’s amazing works really well and was hoping to use the focus stacking feature at higher magnification with the achromatic attached but autofocus is off subject is out of focus, manual focus is fine
I’m sure that there isn’t anything wrong with my camera it’s just the way the focus is working doesn’t go with the achromat for some reason
The answer is to use tubes but I like using the achromat as it doesn’t reduce light transmission so I can work with natural light with tubes I would have to use flash

I''ve finally made a decision on a long lens! After looking through my previous images there was just something about the images taken with longer/faster lenses like the 300mm f2.8 and 200-400 f4 I had on Nikon. One of the reasons to move from sony to canon was to get a lens that sony don't currently offer that's faster than f4. The Canon 300mm f2.8 Mk II looks to be the better cost option over the 400mm f4 DO II. Its only 300g heavier than the 400mm f4 and there isn't much in size. The 300mm f2.8 can become a 420mm f4 lens with a 1.4 teleconverter and has the added f2.8 advantage over the 400mm f4. It will be 500g-100g lighter than the Nikon 300mm f2.8 and 200-400 f4 so bit of a weight saving to what I've been used to. I just need to get used to carting about a heavier lens and just see the benefit of improved IQ and AF speed when shooting in low light.
So I thought I’d made a decision on the 300mm f2.8 until I went to buy one. The size and weight feelings came flooding back. I’d likely need a tripod so that adds an extra 3kg so 6+kg to cart around.

My previous move to Sony was to downsize as the size and weight of kit got to a point where I’d not take it out with me or not that that extra walk on the off chance of finding something. I’ve notice I struggle in low light to keep ISO below 3200 with the f5.6 maximum shutter.

I’m worried that could happen again so I’ve started to get previous use statistics out of lightroom, which is quite interesting in graphical form. When I had a zoom lens I‘d use the zoom range but mostly towards the long end. I worry a prime 300mm would a bit limiting on range with the lack of pixels to crop on the R6. Having a maximum f5.6 aperture on the 100-400 did result in more images taken above ISO3200 compared to the 200-400 f4 where I could I drop down to f4 and halve ISO.

It looks like my perfect lens would be a 200-400 f4 with built in TC that weighs less than 2kg and isn’t much bigger than the 100-400 collapsed. I don’t think that lens is physically possible!

Last edited:
So I thought I’d made a decision on the 300mm f2.8 until I went to buy one. The size and weight feelings came flooding back. I’d likely need a tripod so that adds an extra 3kg so 6+kg to cart around.

My previous move to Sony was to downsize as the size and weight of kit got to a point where I’d not take it out with me or not that that extra walk on the off chance of finding something. I’ve notice I struggle in low light to keep ISO below 3200 with the f5.6 maximum shutter.

I’m worried that could happen again so I’ve started to get previous use statistics out of lightroom, which is quite interesting in graphical form. When I had a zoom lens I‘d use the zoom range but mostly towards the long end. I worry a prime 300mm would a bit limiting on range with the lack of pixels to crop on the R6. Having a maximum f5.6 aperture on the 100-400 did result in more images taken above ISO3200 compared to the 200-400 f4 where I could I drop down to f4 and halve ISO.

It looks like my perfect lens would be a 200-400 f4 with built in TC that weighs less than 2kg and isn’t much bigger than the 100-400 collapsed. I don’t think that lens is physically possible!
I feel your pain....

I've been waiting for an affordable 400 f4 forever! I am hoping that Nikon release a 400 f4 pf... that'll be a game-changer imo. There's a space for one on their road map....

It's a shame the 2-400 zooms are sooo expensive, I've looked at one for years, but can't justify the price, I suppose canon have the 400 DO mk i which is much more affordable used. Shame you switched from Nikon as the 500 5.6 may have been perfect!

I feel your pain....

I've been waiting for an affordable 400 f4 forever! I am hoping that Nikon release a 400 f4 pf... that'll be a game-changer imo. There's a space for one on their road map....

It's a shame the 2-400 zooms are sooo expensive, I've looked at one for years, but can't justify the price, I suppose canon have the 400 DO mk i which is much more affordable used. Shame you switched from Nikon as the 500 5.6 may have been perfect!
F5.6 is potentially the issue in low light so the 500mm f5.6 probably would be similar to the 100-400 but a just little longer. The canon f4 is still £5k used so im not use I’d put it in the affordable bracket. I’d expect the new 400mm f4 do to be £7-8k, likely the same on Nikon if they release one.

F5.6 is potentially the issue in low light so the 500mm f5.6 probably would be similar to the 100-400 but a just little longer. The canon f4 is still £5k used so im not use I’d put it in the affordable bracket. I’d expect the new 400mm f4 do to be £7-8k, likely the same on Nikon if they release one.
I doubt if Nikon release a 400 f4 pf that it'll be anywhere close to 7-8k. Their 500 5.6 is circa 3.5k and the 800 6.3 is a little over 6... I'd imagine, given the price delta between the 300 f4 pf and the 300 2.8 (6k-2k) I'd like to think the 400 f4 will be circa 4.5k, we'll have to see!

The MK I 400 DO is under 2k used, it's an older lens, but others on here have said great things about it and that may be a good interim option?

I doubt if Nikon release a 400 f4 pf that it'll be anywhere close to 7-8k. Their 500 5.6 is circa 3.5k and the 800 6.3 is a little over 6... I'd imagine, given the price delta between the 300 f4 pf and the 300 2.8 (6k-2k) I'd like to think the 400 f4 will be circa 4.5k, we'll have to see!

The MK I 400 DO is under 2k used, it's an older lens, but others on here have said great things about it and that may be a good interim option?
I guess it depends on the construction. going by canons prices the 400 f4 is more expensive than the 300 f2.8. If the construction is similar to the 800 f6.3 I could see it being slightly lower than the 300 f2.8/800 f6.3 I guess we will see.

ive thought about the older 400mm f4 but it’s a 21 year old design and spares could be an issue due to its age.

Given the ISO performance of these cameras, is worrying about 1 stop of light a real problem or is it just a red herring?

For example, I'd love to buy myself the 100-500. What puts me off is the max aperture at 500 - but not for the reason you think. i have no worries in compromising the ISO to gain shutter speed because the R5 is just such a good performer, its the depth of focus thing, if i want to use it at a motorsport event from behind the fence, I'd rather be shooting at F4 or 5.6 max rather than 7.1 etc or 10+/11 with an extender.

Depends what you want to do with it I suppose but if it were me, I wouldn't get hung up about it and get something lighter - the 400 F5.6 for example or 300 F4 and problem gone. I appreciate if you are a pro this may not be a feasable way to go but for an amerture then its the logical trade off. May not be exactly what you want - we all want a big white lens, but when you look into it logically it makes more sense.

Last edited:
Given the ISO performance of these cameras, is worrying about 1 stop of light a real problem or is it just a red herring?

For example, I'd love to buy myself the 100-500. What puts me off is the max aperture at 500 - but not for the reason you think. i have no worries in compromising the ISO to gain shutter speed because the R5 is just such a good performer, its the depth of focus thing, if i want to use it at a motorsport event from behind the fence, I'd rather be shooting at F4 or 5.6 max rather than 7.1 etc or 10+/11 with an extender.

Depends what you want to do with it I suppose but if it were me, I wouldn't get hung up about it and get something lighter - the 400 F5.6 for example or 300 F4 and problem gone. I appreciate if you are a pro this may not be a feasable way to go but for an amerture then its the logical trade off. May not be exactly what you want - we all want a big white lens, but when you look into it logically it makes more sense.
I’m now thinking ISO6400 probably isn’t so bad with modern tech compared to camera tech from a few (5-8) years ago. I don’t have the issue of trying to throw close up fences out of focus, it’s just a case of trying to keep shutter speed up to at least 1/500 (that’s my minimum for moving wildlife). It works out I’m at ISO6400 about 20% of the time when trying to keep 1/500 minimum so it isn’t so bad.

I’ve done a weighted comparison table and the RF 100-500 comes out on top over EF 300 f2.8 and only just above the EF 100-400. looking at camera labs review the aperture values don’t bother me too much. It’s f5.6 up to 363mm and only 1/3rd higher at f6.3 at 400mm. To get up to 500mm in the past I’d need to use a teleconverter so f7.1 would either be 2/3rd higher or 1/3rd lower. With the 100-500 it’s just a case of turning a bit further rather than the hassle of connecting a teleconverter and quick to turn back down. That would be quite a nice benefit. I also like the versatility of a zoom and if I’m honest I would prefer lower weight/size over top end IQ and performance. After all only a hobby for me.

It pretty much takes my decision down to the EF 100-400 and RF 100-500

I’m now thinking ISO6400 probably isn’t so bad with modern tech compared to camera tech from a few (5-8) years ago. I don’t have the issue of trying to throw close up fences out of focus, it’s just a case of trying to keep shutter speed up to at least 1/500 (that’s my minimum for moving wildlife). It works out I’m at ISO6400 about 20% of the time when trying to keep 1/500 minimum so it isn’t so bad.

I’ve done a weighted comparison table and the RF 100-500 comes out on top over EF 300 f2.8 and only just above the EF 100-400. looking at camera labs review the aperture values don’t bother me too much. It’s f5.6 up to 363mm and only 1/3rd higher at f6.3 at 400mm. To get up to 500mm in the past I’d need to use a teleconverter so f7.1 would either be 2/3rd higher or 1/3rd lower. With the 100-500 it’s just a case of turning a bit further rather than the hassle of connecting a teleconverter and quick to turn back down. That would be quite a nice benefit. I also like the versatility of a zoom and if I’m honest I would prefer lower weight/size over top end IQ and performance. After all only a hobby for me.

It pretty much takes my decision down to the EF 100-400 and RF 100-500
I owned the EF100-400 for a while and the only negative i found was sometimes the bokeh was horrible and the A/F not as quick or snappy as the 300 f2.8 MKII.
Am myself torn between getting rid of the 300 for the 100-500 for weight saving and versatility and also to limit lens and tc changes trackside.
Will probably end up hiring one for a race weekend soon i guess to try and find out if its the way to go.

For any of you guys into wildlife / birding etc. using the R5 or R6.
Which AF case and sensitivity settings have you found to be most suitable?

Last edited:
has anybody used the R6 for boxing or MMA fights.I am using my 1DXii at the moment and was wondering if it would be a upgrade.I can't afford a R3

I owned the EF100-400 for a while and the only negative i found was sometimes the bokeh was horrible and the A/F not as quick or snappy as the 300 f2.8 MKII.
Am myself torn between getting rid of the 300 for the 100-500 for weight saving and versatility and also to limit lens and tc changes trackside.
Will probably end up hiring one for a race weekend soon i guess to try and find out if its the way to go.
I’ve decided to order the 100-500. The benefits of the 300mm f2.8 (fast AF, aperture, bokeh) are generally outweighed by the size, weight and versatility of the 100-500 focal length without using teleconverters which can be a pain to change at times. I can roughly overlook the benefits the 300mm f2.8 gives but it’s much harder to overlook the size and weight issues for me. Hopefully I should be able to work around the issues the maximum f5.6 aperture causes.

Hopefully I should be able to work around the issues the maximum f5.6 aperture causes.

Isn't the 100-500mm f/7.1 @ 500mm? ... not sure what it is through the rest of the zoom range though.

As a side note, I notice a lot of chat on the rumour sites about a crop body R7 announcement in August.

REALLY hoping that is correct ... a R6 with a 32MP crop sensor would be my dream wildlife camera.

Last edited:
Isn't the 100-500mm f/7.1 @ 500mm? ... not sure what it is through the rest of the zoom range though.

As a side note, I notice a lot of chat on the rumour sites about a crop body R7 announcement in August.

REALLY hoping that is correct ... a R6 with a 32MP crop sensor would be my dream wildlife camera.

The camera labs review says it’s 100-151mm f4.5, 152-254mm f5, 255-364mm f5.6, 365-472mm f6.3 & 473-500mm f7.1. Compared to the 100-400 its 1/3rd of a stop slower at 400mm but much faster beyond 400mm as the 100-400 would need a Teleconverter making it a bit slower at f8. Having that extra bit of range at a twist of the zoom ring compared to playing about with teleconverters will be a benefit. I read a review where it compared the extra range to having a built in Teleconverter.

As long as I remember where the aperture changes are I think I could manage high iso better than I have been. It’s weird that I’ve basically gone full circle when the reality of carrying a heavy fast lens has really dawned on me. if I’m honest in the past I loved the output of the fast lens but really hated carrying it and taking it out.

A R7 could be an interesting camera. Let see what happens in the summer.

The camera labs review says it’s 100-151mm f4.5, 152-254mm f5, 255-364mm f5.6, 365-472mm f6.3 & 473-500mm f7.1. Compared to the 100-400 its 1/3rd of a stop slower at 400mm but much faster beyond 400mm as the 100-400 would need a Teleconverter making it a bit slower at f8. Having that extra bit of range at a twist of the zoom ring compared to playing about with teleconverters will be a benefit. I read a review where it compared the extra range to having a built in Teleconverter.

As long as I remember where the aperture changes are I think I could manage high iso better than I have been. It’s weird that I’ve basically gone full circle when the reality of carrying a heavy fast lens has really dawned on me. if I’m honest in the past I loved the output of the fast lens but really hated carrying it and taking it out.

A R7 could be an interesting camera. Let see what happens in the summer.
You're sure the 200-400 with built-in TC is too much weight? I'm just getting used to it now and so far seems great and not too heavy. I'm liking the extra light and TC at the flick of a switch.

You're sure the 200-400 with built-in TC is too much weight? I'm just getting used to it now and so far seems great and not too heavy. I'm liking the extra light and TC at the flick of a switch.
Heart says I’d love a 200-400+TC but head says no. i had the Nikon 200-400 a few years back. At 3.6kg i wasnt able to properly hand hold it so that meant carrying a tripod which added another 3kg not to mention a much bigger bag. That meant I’d not it out on trips because the weight put me off carrying it as I didn't enjoy carting it about.

when I moved to Sony and got the 100-400 I loved the size and weight. I was able to get it in my smallest f stop guru bag. The only thing has been the issue surrounding f5.6 and up to ISO6400. If I’m honest if the light is that bad there’s probably not a good photo to be had anyway.

The aperture has no effect on the depth of focus.

when I moved to Sony and got the 100-400 I loved the size and weight. I was able to get it in my smallest f stop guru bag. The only thing has been the issue surrounding f5.6 and up to ISO6400. If I’m honest if the light is that bad there’s probably not a good photo to be had anyway.

Went out this morning with my 150-450mm f/5.6 and took loads of pics ... binned everything bar 3 and I'm not sure why I even kept those tbh.

has anybody used the R6 for boxing or MMA fights.I am using my 1DXii at the moment and was wondering if it would be a upgrade.I can't afford a R3
I have used it in basketball under less than ideal lighting; we list our professional team so the big lights don’t come on any more. It works well; I am selling my 1DX2 I think and see if I miss the speed; won’t miss the weight.

I have used it in basketball under less than ideal lighting; we list our professional team so the big lights don’t come on any more. It works well; I am selling my 1DX2 I think and see if I miss the speed; won’t miss the weight.
I might be interested in the 1dx depending on price - i'm in Worcester.

I’ve dithered over selling my 1DXM2 it was for sale then I took it back… I think it’s time to box it up again.

I think they mean depth of field which would be affected by aperture. The two are often confused considering both start with f and it’s often referred to as DoF.

Yes slip of the… fingers I guess - I meant depth of field - no lack of understanding just trying to talk about 2 concepts in one quickly on my iPad. Of course the higher the F number the more likely it is that the fence will make focusing difficult and even often throw the focus in certain auto focus modes/ cases.

I think, it was fairly clear what I meant…. If the post was read properly. Original reply is a bit nit picky imho. Thanks for clearing up rob.

I think, it was fairly clear what I meant…. If the post was read properly. Original reply is a bit nit picky imho. Thanks for clearing up rob.
Could be misleading to a neophyte.

The 100-500 arrived. First impressions is it’s a great size. With the 100-500 attached to the R6 it takes up the same space as the Sony A9 and 100-400 did so it fits perfectly into the f stop small and medium ICUs. Weight is similiar too so it feels light enough. I’m glad I went with the lighter option as that’s important for me. Focus seems to be pretty fast when focussing and refocusing on different static subjects in my garden. I will try to give it a test this weekend on some deer before trying it out on the Red Squirrels in the lakes in a couple of weeks time. Overall I like it so far, having the extra 100mm could be handy but I expect I will use the 200-400mm range the most.

The 100-500 arrived. First impressions is it’s a great size. With the 100-500 attached to the R6 it takes up the same space as the Sony A9 and 100-400 did so it fits perfectly into the f stop small and medium ICUs. Weight is similiar too so it feels light enough. I’m glad I went with the lighter option as that’s important for me. Focus seems to be pretty fast when focussing and refocusing on different static subjects in my garden. I will try to give it a test this weekend on some deer before trying it out on the Red Squirrels in the lakes in a couple of weeks time. Overall I like it so far, having the extra 100mm could be handy but I expect I will use the 200-400mm range the most.
Enjoy!

Is the lens IS meant to just come on when you press the focus or shutter button
I’ve noticed I can hear the lens working all the time when camera is turned on think it’s the lens IS
100 IS macro R5
I have turned off continuous focus

Is the lens IS meant to just come on when you press the focus or shutter button
I’ve noticed I can hear the lens working all the time when camera is turned on think it’s the lens IS
100 IS macro R5
I have turned off continuous focus

As in the EF version?

That’s how it’s always been with that lens on both my R and R5 when I had a copy.

As in the EF version?

That’s how it’s always been with that lens on both my R and R5 when I had a copy.
Thanks yes the EF L version
I’ve had the lens for years maybe it’s always been like that and I didn’t notice
I was doing the R5 in camera focus stacking with butterflies yesterday it’s amazing what it can do

Back