Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Thanks yes the EF L version
I’ve had the lens for years maybe it’s always been like that and I didn’t notice
I was doing the R5 in camera focus stacking with butterflies yesterday it’s amazing what it can do

I think it’s only on the R series cameras that it does it. But it is normal.

I used to shoot with the 1DXmkII / 70-200 2.8 with 1.4 extender or 200-400 f/4 with built in extender - this season I have moved over to the R3 / 100-500 combo and yes it's a whole new learning curve but the size / weight was a big selling point, still playing with settings and getting head around it all but loving it - yes I do still miss the 200-400 (Tim ;-) ) but have printed a couple of shots at A0 size and think we will be very happy.
DSP_0150  crop.jpgHeybridge Basin 18-04-22 0010.jpgSP 15-04-22 0049.jpgT 24-04-22 1117.jpg

Attachments

• DSP_0148.jpg
    DSP_0148.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 5
The camera I have been waiting (and waiting) for .... posted on Canonrumors

I have never pre-ordered a camera, infact I have only ever bought new once but I will make an exception for the R7

Canon will announce the long rumoured Canon EOS R7, a camera we leaked the specifications on yesterday. There will also be a second camera, the Canon EOS R10. We’re going to assume that the Canon EOS R10 is an APS-C camera that will likely take the place of the EOS M5/EOS M6 Mark II. It was rumoured quite some time ago that Canon would announce multiple APS-C RF mount cameras.

Canon will also announce a couple of RF-S lenses.

Canon will announce the following gear​

• Canon EOS R7 camera body
  • Canon EOS R10 camera body
  • Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/3.5-5.6
  • Canon RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3

All of this gear will likely be announced on May 24, 2022.

Last edited:
I went out to test the 100-500 the other night. I was hoping to capture some backlit deer photos but I’d forgotten the sun disappears beneath the tree line about an hour before sunset. It didn’t leave much time to capture any good photos. The deer were in large herds so it was difficult to isolate a single deer. I will look to get out more over the next few weeks to really put the 100-500 to the test.

This photo was the closest I got to what I was trying for. It’s quite a crop from a landscape photo cropped down to slightly less than the height of landscape photo.

R6 & 100-500
400mm 1/500 F6.3 ISO1250

Sika deer backlit by -Rob - Nikon-

R6 & 100-500
500mm 1/500 F7.1 ISO1250

Pere David’s Deer by -Rob - Nikon-

R6 & 100-500
400mm 1/500 F8 ISO4000

Sika Deer by -Rob - Nikon-

Last edited:
I went out to test the 100-500 the other night. I was hoping to capture some backlit deer photos but I’d forgotten the sun disappears beneath the tree line about an hour before sunset. It didn’t leave much time to capture any good photos. The deer were in large herds so it was difficult to isolate a single deer. I will look to get out more over the next few weeks to really put the 100-500 to the test.

This photo was the closest I got to what I was trying for. It’s quite a crop from a landscape photo cropped down to slightly less than the height of landscape photo.

R6 & 100-500
400mm 1/500 F6.3 ISO1250

R6 & 100-500
500mm 1/500 F7.1 ISO1250

R6 & 100-500
400mm 1/500 F8 ISO4000

Happy?

I think it’s only on the R series cameras that it does it. But it is normal.

My 300 f4L seemed to do it at first too but it doesn’t anymore.

I was worried about the battery so I kept switching the IS off when I wasn’t shooting

Its early days but it seems to be sharp and it’s light to carry so probably better for me. The 300 f2.8 would no doubt give better IQ and bokeh but I’d start to hate the weight like I did before. It will be interesting in the autumn when I give it a proper workout during the rut.
First images look great to me :)

My 300 f4L seemed to do it at first too but it doesn’t anymore.

I was worried about the battery so I kept switching the IS off when I wasn’t shooting
Is there a difference between “IS always” and “IS for shot only” or however the two options are described?

Is there a difference between “IS always” and “IS for shot only” or however the two options are described?

I’ll have a play later if I get a chance - what I meant in this instance was that I physically flicked the switch on the lens rather than through the menus, or I made sure I turned the camera off instead!

I can’t ever remember changing a menu option which would change the behaviour of the lens, so I presume it must have been a firmware update that fixed it. Either that or it’s still doing it and I’ve just not noticed it, it’s just happening unconsciously.

Last edited:

R6 & 100-500
400mm 1/500 F6.3 ISO1250

R6 & 100-500
500mm 1/500 F7.1 ISO1250

R6 & 100-500
400mm 1/500 F8 ISO4000

How lovely to have deer nearby and you can head out in such beautiful light. I like 1 and 3 where they are looking at you.

I love the ability to crop on the R5. I've recently tried out On1 resize and I'm quite impressed with it - if you need more.

I'm very happy with the 100-500. I do wish it was a bit wider at the long end as it is f/10 with the 1.4 extender on.

I spotted this stoat the other week. I'd sort of put my camera away when we spotted each other, so I had seconds, if that. Annoyingly I didn't even have it fully zoomed in, so this is a bigger crop than it could have been :rolleyes:

20220418-BCR_7322.jpg

I'm very happy with the 100-500. I do wish it was a bit wider at the long end as it is f/10 with the 1.4 extender on.

How do you find the 100-500mm with 1.4x wide open at 700mm?

I only ask as I am looking at longer lenses now the R7 is a good possibility, I have the 100-400mm MKII and 1.4x MKIII which worked well on the R5 I had but was wondering if native would be better.

I mostly use it wide open as it is f/10 - haven't tried closing it down actually. The above was f/10 at 433mm or thereabouts I think. I am not sure if it is better to be honest. I do still have the 100-400 + 1.4 III. It was a trip away and getting fed up of fiddling around with the adaptor and the extender that tipped me into buying the 100-500. The extra reach and lighter weight were a draw. I really should test the two against each other... but what if I don't like the results?:oops: :$:D

But maybe I would as it could save me the best part of 3K :LOL:

My 100-400mm is mostly welded to my 7D MKII so I would just leave an adapter on it permanently and if the R7 gets the 32MP APS-C sensor then the extra reach is more than covered.
I do think it is annoying that the 100-500 lens doesn't fully retract with the 1.4 extender on. It doesn't fit in my smaller camera bag and I hate carrying the bigger bag if I don't need much else.

It also came as a bit of a shock that with the extender on it is 420mm at the widest end, so it can get a bit trickier to quickly find your subject. I had thought it was 300mm at the wide which seemed okay, but it is 300x1.4mm.

Question. Trip to FL next week, so I take the RF600 or the RF100-400 for my R5…? Taking the 24-240 and 50 and maybe 10-22 too.. which big telephoto do I take!?

Question. Trip to FL next week, so I take the RF600 or the RF100-400 for my R5…? Taking the 24-240 and 50 and maybe 10-22 too.. which big telephoto do I take!?
I’m guessing by RF600 you mean the RF 600mm f11 rather than the RF 600 f4. It all depends what you’re going to photograph. The 100-400 is of course more versatile but it depends on if you need the reach of 600mm. I’m guessing light shouldn’t be too much of an issue in Florida so the stop difference between the two shouldn’t really be an issue.

I’m guessing by RF600 you mean the RF 600mm f11 rather than the RF 600 f4. It all depends what you’re going to photograph. The 100-400 is of course more versatile but it depends on if you need the reach of 600mm. I’m guessing light shouldn’t be too much of an issue in Florida so the stop difference between the two shouldn’t really be an issue.

Yeah the “poor man’s” version of the 600 it is! That’s what makes me think the 600’woukd be good really.. 24-105 will be for general but will carry the 600 when I need more.. I think it’s the one to do.

Yeah the “poor man’s” version of the 600 it is! That’s what makes me think the 600’woukd be good really.. 24-105 will be for general but will carry the 600 when I need more.. I think it’s the one to do.
It would have been a strange comparison if it was the f4 version of the 600mm. Wouldn’t really be a decision unless weight was an issue.

Been to Florida twice, if you do normal photoshoot then bring 100-400mm or if you doing wildlife 600mm is your best FL.
Agree with Robin.

Since getting the Canon R5 I’ve been really enjoying my photography and have purchased a lensbaby which is manual focus only. So today I’ve set camera up for manual focus but notice that the focus point isn’t displaying in the evf . Earlier today I had it displayed on live view but now the focus point as disappeared from there as well. Does anybody have any idea what I’m doing wrong. I’ve googled it and looked in manual but cannot fathom out what is wrong. Thanks in advance. I’m sure I’ve used manual focus with my macro lens and didn’t notice no focus point so I’m sure it is user error.
firmware is up to date.

Last edited by a moderator:
Since getting the Canon R5 I’ve been really enjoying my photography and have purchased a lensbaby which is manual focus only. So today I’ve set camera up for manual focus but notice that the focus point isn’t displaying in the evf . Earlier today I had it displayed on live view but now the focus point as disappeared from there as well. Does anybody have any idea what I’m doing wrong. I’ve googled it and looked in manual but cannot fathom out what is wrong. Thanks in advance. I’m sure I’ve used manual focus with my macro lens and didn’t notice no focus point so I’m sure it is user error.
I don't use focus point but zebra for manual focusing.

The manual focus assist seems to be lens dependent and inconsistent between R camera bodies. Im sure more lenses worked on the R than now with the R5. Or maybe I messed up settings somewhere.

Sorry @rob-nikon was right, it's manual focus peaking, it allows you to change colour as well.
The manual focus assist seems to be lens dependent and inconsistent between R camera bodies. Im sure more lenses worked on the R than now with the R5. Or maybe I messed up settings somewhere.
I seem to remember that it worked with any manual focusing lenses. Well at least the peaking works with my 24mm 1.4 Samyang, and I'm sure it will work with my Zuiko and Zeiss lenses.

Sorry @rob-nikon was right, it's manual focus peaking, it allows you to change colour as well.

I seem to remember that it worked with any manual focusing lenses. Well at least the peaking works with my 24mm 1.4 Samyang, and I'm sure it will work with my Zuiko and Zeiss lenses.
right, I have the 24mm 1.4 samyang too - the manual focus assist with the green triangle thing worked with the r but not the r5 for example

I turned off focus guide on the recommendation of another person from a different site, this is where most of my problems arose. Wise in hindsight comes to mind here. Until I did this my canon lens were all working perfectly and I could see the focus point in manual focus on both live view and viewfinder. I’ve since done a factory reset as I’d messed about that much. I had left focus peaking on but until I read @rob-nikon post above I wasn’t focusing on the peaking (no pun intended). I was too focused on the focus point which was not visible. I’ve now turned the focus guide back on and hey presto all my canon lenses work again and Imcan see the focus point in manual mode properly. I still have the problem with the lensbaby so will have another look at when time allows. I may end up sending lens back yet which I will not be happy about. It is RF specific so a bit surprised to encounter a problem.

Thanks Robin , I had got focus peaking turned on but had turned the focus guide off on the recommendation from another site. That’s where I started having problems with my canon lens.
The camera is expensive so you would think it would work fully with all manual focus lenses especially if they are Canon RF fit. I’ll see how I get on with the lensbaby before deciding.

Thanks Robin , I had got focus peaking turned on but had turned the focus guide off on the recommendation from another site. That’s where I started having problems with my canon lens.
The camera is expensive so you would think it would work fully with all manual focus lenses especially if they are Canon RF fit. I’ll see how I get on with the lensbaby before deciding.
As pointed out by @TimHughes the focus guide doesn't seem to work with third party lenses.

firmware is up to date.
I use lensbabys sometimes and just use focus peaking. I can't remember if I've tried the focus guide as I haven't used them for a while. I can try it out tomorrow. Edit - just tried - focus guide doesn't work on the R5 with the lensbaby Composer (EF adapted version).

What is the point of showing the focus point in the evf if you are manually focusing? I'm not sure I understand what that can show you as the camera doesn't know which bit of the image you want in focus? Am I misunderstanding something?

Last edited:
I use lensbabys sometimes and just use focus peaking. I can't remember if I've tried the focus assist as I haven't used them for a while. I can try it out tomorrow.

What is the point of showing the focus point in the evf if you are manually focusing? I'm not sure I understand what that can show you as the camera doesn't know which bit of the image you want in focus? Am I misunderstanding something?
The box with the indicators can be placed anywhere so it allows good control of manual focus for things like the lensbaby, tilt shift, other manual lenses, or choice to focus manually for filming. Focus peak is quite good too, but I find it not quite as helpful.

The box with the indicators can be placed anywhere so it allows good control of manual focus for things like the lensbaby, tilt shift, other manual lenses, or choice to focus manually for filming. Focus peak is quite good too, but I find it not quite as helpful.
Ahh - so it is the box for the focus guide he wishes to see. That makes sense, thank you. I was thinking it was a focus point... as in where it would focus.... maybe it's time I should be in bed ha ha! Thanks Tim.

I’m away at present and there are Red Squirrels in the garden of the place I’m staying. The winter storms have meant the trees have taken a battering. Two trees are down which the squirrels used to use to move around in.

Although I shot this at -1ev to blacken the background I’ve dragged the background back in lightroom to get some colour/definition in the background. Fully black looked a bit weird to me.

This photo was taken of one Red Squirrel on top of one of the fallen tree stumps/roots where it’s pulled out of the ground. Taken at 500mm hand held with IS on with the canon 100-500 using animal eye AF.

Red Squirrel by -Rob - Nikon-

Click through to Flickr to see the detail better.

Last edited:
I used to shoot with the 1DXmkII / 70-200 2.8 with 1.4 extender or 200-400 f/4 with built in extender - this season I have moved over to the R3 / 100-500 combo and yes it's a whole new learning curve but the size / weight was a big selling point, still playing with settings and getting head around it all but loving it - yes I do still miss the 200-400 (Tim ;-) ) but have printed a couple of shots at A0 size and think we will be very happy.
View attachment 352923View attachment 352924View attachment 352925View attachment 352926

Asked in a couple of your other posts about the A/F speed,how are you finding it as torn between selling my 300 f2.8 IS L MKII for this or a massive jump in cash to the 400 f2.8 IS L MKIII.

HI!

Any suggestions on wildlife parks there, specifically monkeys? Real-world experiences would be good rather than just online really would be appreciated?

Th
HI!

Any suggestions on wildlife parks there, specifically monkeys? Real-world experiences would be good rather than just online really would be appreciated?
There’s a monkey place in Stoke on Trent where they roam free and you can walk the path through them.

Last edited:
Back