Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I use lensbabys sometimes and just use focus peaking. I can't remember if I've tried the focus guide as I haven't used them for a while. I can try it out tomorrow. Edit - just tried - focus guide doesn't work on the R5 with the lensbaby Composer (EF adapted version).

What is the point of showing the focus point in the evf if you are manually focusing? I'm not sure I understand what that can show you as the camera doesn't know which bit of the image you want in focus? Am I misunderstanding something?
Thankyou for your input. I agree focus guide doesn’t work with lensbaby. I had a quick play with the lens the other day but haven’t had time to check the images out. Not convinced I had focus peaking working with the lensbaby although it works with my canon lenses fine. hopefully I’ll have time to play with the lens properly at the weekend.

I was lucky to find this beetle upside down in the hallway of the B&B we were staying last week. After rescuing it and putting it outside I was lucky to find it again after breakfast not far from where I’d put it down. As I didn’t have a macro lens I improvised using the 100-500 and 70-200 f4 RF lenses at minimum focus distances. I’m by no means a macro photographer but both gave workable images but not on par with a macro lens.

RF 70-200 f4

Cock Chafer Beetle 1 by -Rob - Nikon-

RF 100-500

Cock Chafer Beetle 2 by -Rob - Nikon-

Note: both are sizeable large crops of the original images.

Last edited:
First outing with the R3 and perhaps a National cup final wasn't the place to try it out - glad i had a spare 1dx body with me at one point when I managed to put the camera into self timer mode - took me a minute to work out what the hell I had done - focus is incredibly snappy and I used subject select with eye detection for pre match stuff - works really well - not sure it will work for actual action with multiple faces in the frame but it will have it's uses.

2022 Scottish Cup Final Rangers v Hearts May 21st by David Young, on Flickr

Last edited:
they're here

R7 and R10 announced

looks like the R7 has the Olympussy pro-capture

pre-ordered

Dave

The R7 looks very underwhelming. Odd ergonomics, no CF-E slot, low res EVF and screen.

1st observation re R7 was no top plate LCD, it's the one feature apart from the 2 dials that I want in my cameras. The 7D2 trade-in prices (and 80D/90D) have taken a tumble I see....

I haven’t seen the R7 so can’t answer the build quality comments but I think it will be an amazing camera if the focus tracking / autofocus is anything like the R5
As Mike said it does focus bracketing which is a very useful feature
If I didn’t already have the R5 I would be seriously considering the R7 it will be amazing for wildlife and bird photography

I notice the announcement of RF-S lenses, too. Hopefully there are more lenses on the way!

and what about that price? I suspected it would be around £1.8-£2k, I'd even heard + 2.5k mentioned. Maybe minus the topscreen has kept the price down. Top screen would've been nice but I'll take it as is.

Last edited:
If I didn’t already have the R5 I would be seriously considering the R7 it will be amazing for wildlife and bird photography

The concern with wildlife, as I've seen a few people comment, is the EVF. Really not sure a 1024x768 screen is good enough.

I think the issue is that, whilst the R7 is probably a decent camera in absolute terms, people were expecting a 7D(II) successor and this isn't it.

The forte of the 7D was that it was basically a crop 5Dmk3/4 - same ergonomics and features, just with a crop sensor. Many people ran both bodies for different subjects/purposes and appreciated they were so similar.

I think many were expecting this to continue and the R7 to be a "crop R5" which it clearly isn't at all.

Last edited:
One of the pressing points for me, as an R5 owner, is where can I get one of those Canon hot shoe covers :ROFLMAO:

Hmmm, not seeing a grip listed anywhere as an accessory ... that could throw a spanner in the works (for me at least).

I was thinking this earlier as well. But surely they must have one in mind.

Despite how the initial opinions fare; it’s not gonna be suited for my intended use if there isn’t one.

Hmmm, not seeing a grip listed anywhere as an accessory ... that could throw a spanner in the works (for me at least).

I wonder if the R5/R6 grip will fit it? The R7 looks very R6ish.

Don't rush out and buy the grip on that assumption though. ;)

One of the pressing points for me, as an R5 owner, is where can I get one of those Canon hot shoe covers :ROFLMAO:

It's the new 'multi-function' hotshoe though which the R5 doesn't have.

The grips are ridiculously expensive for what they are though. No way should the R5/6 grip be over £400.

I remember balking at around £250 for the grip for my 5D3 but paid for the original Canon rather than a clone as I figured it'd be better quality. It played up in the end which I found seriously annoying.

Strangely there are no third party grips for the R5/R6 ... I presume Canon made it too difficult somehow.
I’m not sure what they could do to the grip interface that makes it impossible to clone? But I’m also suspicious they may have done ‘something’.

But surely if you can reverse engineer a lens interface, improve on the flash protocols, then there should be a way of creating a grip for a new camera.

they're here

R7 and R10 announced

looks like the R7 has the Olympussy pro-capture

pre-ordered

Dave
The R7 looks to be an interesting camera for wildlife. With the crop factor it would be 160-800 with the 100-500. That could be a nice wildlife focal length range.

The price isn’t as high as I thought it would be at £1349 pre order. I may try it on test drive when they are available on that (could be a while). Looks to be more similar to the R6 than the R5. May not be the 7D replacement people ready wanted.

I’m not sure what they could do to the grip interface that makes it impossible to clone? But I’m also suspicious they may have done ‘something’.

But surely if you can reverse engineer a lens interface, improve on the flash protocols, then there should be a way of creating a grip for a new camera.

I wonder if it's something to do with the way the battery talks to the body, they never fully cracked the LP-E17 battery for the mirrorless bodies but they did for the DSLR's that used the same battery. I'm just guessing obviously.

I wonder if it's something to do with the way the battery talks to the body, they never fully cracked the LP-E17 battery for the mirrorless bodies but they did for the DSLR's that used the same battery. I'm just guessing obviously.
I don’t know; it took years for the the LP E6 batteries to be reverse engineered properly (the ones I bought for the 7d never reported properly but the newer ones work great on the older cameras and the R6.)

First outing with the R3 and perhaps a National cup final wasn't the place to try it out - glad i had a spare 1dx body with me at one point when I managed to put the camera into self timer mode - took me a minute to work out what the hell I had done - focus is incredibly snappy and I used subject select with eye detection for pre match stuff - works really well - not sure it will work for actual action with multiple faces in the frame but it will have it's uses.

2022 Scottish Cup Final Rangers v Hearts May 21st by David Young, on Flickr
Stunning shot!! Were you using RF glass?

The R7 looks to be an interesting camera for wildlife. With the crop factor it would be 160-800 with the 100-500. That could be a nice wildlife focal length range.

The price isn’t as high as I thought it would be at £1349 pre order. I may try it on test drive when they are available on that (could be a while). Looks to be more similar to the R6 than the R5. May not be the 7D replacement people ready wanted.
I’m wondering if the viewfinder in the R7 similar size to the other R cameras? Could be interested in one at some point. I’m still fairly happy with my 7Dii, but the R7 might be a nice upgrade.

Somewhat underwhelmed by the R7 specs. I was expecting more of a 7Dii upgrade. It looks plasticky, uses an old sensor but hopefully the AF system and IS system will make up for this. I will wait for some more detailed reviews before deciding. Currently thinking R6. Giving up bird photography would be a cheaper option.

For all those disappointed the R7 isn’t an 7Dii replacement there’s still the R4 to come? Anyone else wondering if there’s room for an R3/5 hybrid in the market?

For all those disappointed the R7 isn’t an 7Dii replacement there’s still the R4 to come? Anyone else wondering if there’s room for an R3/5 hybrid in the market?
I think those disappointed by the R7’s build quality haven’t been watching.

If they were expecting a mirrorless 7d, which had the same build as the 5d they’re bound to be disappointed, the R5 isn’t as robust as the 5d, the R7 follows the same trend.

Personally I’ve always thought an articulating screen makes a camera feel prone to damage, but then I felt the same about pop up flashes, and in 20 years of using those I never damaged one.

Canon have just launched one of the fastest cameras on the market and at a price well below slower FF cameras, surely that’s something to be greeted with glee by the 7d crowd?

I think those disappointed by the R7’s build quality haven’t been watching.

If they were expecting a mirrorless 7d, which had the same build as the 5d they’re bound to be disappointed, the R5 isn’t as robust as the 5d, the R7 follows the same trend.

Personally I’ve always thought an articulating screen makes a camera feel prone to damage, but then I felt the same about pop up flashes, and in 20 years of using those I never damaged one.

Canon have just launched one of the fastest cameras on the market and at a price well below slower FF cameras, surely that’s something to be greeted with glee by the 7d crowd?
Yes exactly it’s brilliant that there is finally an up to date replacement for the 7D 2 if I hadn’t gone to full frame I would get one ASAP
If it’s got the same autofocus as the R5 and 6 including eye tracking then it will be a amazing wildlife and birding camera

If I had to complain about the R7 it’d be about that joystick/wheel arrangement, it looks like an experiment to answer a problem that doesn’t exist. Rather like the touchy/slider thing on the original R.

But from a very happy R6 user, who paid more money for a slower camera with less resolution, I think crop shooters should be dancing in the street.

And I’ll admit I couldn’t see the point in a crop R camera, Canon had already got a mirrorless crop mount, and there was no point in building another IMO.

I was wrong, but I still think of it as ‘their’ mistake. The M series was marketed at non photographers from the start, and they couldn’t see a way out of that.

They could have easily put the M mount on a 7 shaped body rather than design a new RF-S mount. But judging from the R7 backlash, an M7 backlash would have been worse.

Back