Canon EOS R Series Cameras

I read they found a bug, so not quite for no reason.
Did you read my complete post?

I actually included the reason for it being pulled so nobody got caught out as even though the camera didn't display any problems when shooting, if for any reason you needed to carry out a factory reset the function control stopped working afterwards (y)

Have also now seen the release of firmware 1.2.1 to fix this above problem is also available on the US and Hong Kong sites :)

Last edited:
I'm quite disappointed about the lack of the grip. I currently use a 1DX2 and a 7D2 for sports and the R7 would be a sensible replacement for the 7D2. For athletics, I will be shooting portrait for hours at time and a portrait shutter button and auxiliary controls is essential. Given that R7 is being aimed at the 7D2 user, many owners are working photographers, this is a potential deal breaker. Being able to use two batteries is also good.

Whilst traditional grips have relied on a physical electrical connection, maybe some of the controls could be managed by bluetooth and a small battery.

Many of my colleagues who have moved to mirrorless from a traditional dSLR are powering their cameras from a powerbank rigged to their monopod.

So the latest firmware for the R3 has been pulled from the sites by Canon for no apparent reason so we now await firmware 1.2.1.

Found this strange as myself and several others have put thousands of clicks on over the last weekend with no apparent problems with operation.

Have since done a little digging and contacted a friend at CPS and it seems its due to the fact that if you carry out a factory reset after installing 1.2.0 the mode dial will no longer function.
I have just updated my R3 from 1.2.0 to 1.2.1 and I have yet to use it in anger. I may test out the new HC feature and I think it may be interesting using it occasionally for something like cricket.

Does anyone have any insight on the best place to pre order an R7 please. I'm assuming the larger retailers get a bigger allocation but presumably have a correspondingly larger wait list ?

I contacted WEX but they refused to give any indication of time or even what number I'd be on the wait list citing commercially sensitive information they do not disclose. Park estimated 2-4 months. Is it just a case realistically of picking one retailer and waiting it out ?

Does anyone have any insight on the best place to pre order an R7 please. I'm assuming the larger retailers get a bigger allocation but presumably have a correspondingly larger wait list ?

I contacted WEX but they refused to give any indication of time or even what number I'd be on the wait list citing commercially sensitive information they do not disclose. Park estimated 2-4 months. Is it just a case realistically of picking one retailer and waiting it out ?

E-infinity have them in stock now LINK if you don't mind buying grey (I have bought from them before with no problem as have others here)
Personally the only reason I am waiting on mine from Park Cameras is the free RF adapter that was offered with the original batch

Last edited:
I want to start using RF glass again, not sure whether to pick up an R7 or get another R5.

As much as I like using Sony glass I have another itch for RF.

R7, still waiting. *stomps feet*

Anyone got thiers in the last week or so?

To be honest I'm past caring now. When / if it arrives I may just stick it on Ebay.

My main issue now ( this is on all R cameras ) is the Sigma bazooka 150-600 C lens AF focus pulsing as this would be my main weapon of choice for Wildlife shoots ! !
There is no way I am paying nearly 3k on RF 100-500L , it will lead to divorce ! ! ! lol

I pre ordered with the free adapter, I probably would've held out if it wasn't for that.

As it turns out, we're all still waiting anyway.

Hadn't ever done a firmware update on any of my previous Canon cameras - done R3 update twice in a week - the 195 frames per second is amazing but I'm not sure I'll ever have a practical reason to use it. Reason I updated first time was it mentioned cropping while sending to FTP - not sure that's actually included

Hadn't ever done a firmware update on any of my previous Canon cameras - done R3 update twice in a week - the 195 frames per second is amazing but I'm not sure I'll ever have a practical reason to use it. Reason I updated first time was it mentioned cropping while sending to FTP - not sure that's actually included
Me too and not tried the 195 per second feature yet.

I have a question which i guess relates to any R camera. Can you transfer raw files from the camera to a phone/ipad etc over wifi?
I know in the past you couldnt do it from the 5D3/4 etc, it looked like you could but the app always converted to JPG on the fly.
Not a deal breaker at all, just wondering if things have moved on a bit.

I have one of these from Amazon UK and it works but only using the USB C output from the power bank using a short (0.5m) quality USB C to USB C cable.

Tried it on the R7 but it does not seem to work.

Do not have an R6 to try it on.

I believe that this only works with the LP-E6NH battery.

Anyone used a power bank to charge the Canon r5 battery up ?
I looked into this for the R6 as a means not to buy another battery. After a bit of internet searching I found this was recommended:

It’s gone up a bit as I seem to think it was about £90 when I looked at it. You will also need to use the camera as the charger.

I ended up purchasing a used battery from MPB as I traded in a couple of batteries at the same time.

Last edited:
I have one of these from Amazon UK and it works but only using the USB C output from the power bank using a short (0.5m) quality USB C to USB C cable.

Tried it on the R7 but it does not seem to work.

Do not have an R6 to try it on.

I believe that this only works with the LP-E6NH battery.

Yes, it only works with LP-E6NH battery.

I use a USB LP-E6 Neewer cradle connected to Power bank to charge my LP-E6 on the go !

Went out with the R6 this morning to Surprise View near Hathersage, stunning morning,

620A3652 by Robert scriven, on Flickr

620A3411 by Robert scriven, on Flickr

Castleton - Hope Valley by Robert scriven, on Flickr

620A3140 by Robert scriven, on Flickr
Looks good. that’s one location I head towards in the Heather. I’m up over the bank holiday weekend. I’m hoping there may be some Heather colour still showing but I don’t hold up much hope with the hot weather we’ve been having. I have the canon RF 14-35 f4 on hire from canon so hoping to give it a good test up on the edges. Due to the Royal Mail strike I’ve been given it for the week rather than just 3 days over the bank holiday week.

Just contacted Park Cameras about my back order ....

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your email. Sadly our R7 consignment due last week has been delayed further, possibly until mid September.
We are aware this is a nationwide issue and are still awaiting confirmation of dates.

Hmmmm, grey is starting to look better and better, I have a couple of adapters anyway.

Just contacted Park Cameras about my back order ....

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your email. Sadly our R7 consignment due last week has been delayed further, possibly until mid September.
We are aware this is a nationwide issue and are still awaiting confirmation of dates.

Hmmmm, grey is starting to look better and better, I have a couple of adapters anyway.

I have had an e mail from Cliffton stating they get 6 units per month from Canon and I am near the bottom of the list ! !
I have been on 2 shoots in last 3 weeks and have another 2 in September and I suspect I will not have my R7 till after September, perhaps I might get for Xmas day ! ! ! !

I have had an e mail from Cliffton stating they get 6 units per month from Canon and I am near the bottom of the list ! !
I have been on 2 shoots in last 3 weeks and have another 2 in September and I suspect I will not have my R7 till after September, perhaps I might get for Xmas day ! ! ! !

I got fed up so I sold my Pentax K-1 and bought a Sony a9, 200-600mm & a 1.4x.

I’ve just bought myself a first RF lens - 100-500. Used it at the commonwealth games and loved it. As much for not having to keep changing my 70-200 for my 300 F4 and or combination of the above with TC!

Which brings me to the next question. Do I buy the RF 1.4x TC?

Has anyone got any experience with using this on the 100-500 and whether you can compensate for the massive F number with your ISO.

Bare in mind I do a lot of rallies in dark, cold, wet Welsh forests and often shoot through the fences at race tracks - meaning if I can keep my DOF range shallow I will, although can ‘get away’ with F8 @ 420mm quite often.

I’ve just bought myself a first RF lens - 100-500. Used it at the commonwealth games and loved it. As much for not having to keep changing my 70-200 for my 300 F4 and or combination of the above with TC!

Which brings me to the next question. Do I buy the RF 1.4x TC?

Has anyone got any experience with using this on the 100-500 and whether you can compensate for the massive F number with your ISO.

Bare in mind I do a lot of rallies in dark, cold, wet Welsh forests and often shoot through the fences at race tracks - meaning if I can keep my DOF range shallow I will, although can ‘get away’ with F8 @ 420mm quite often.

Look at this channel as he uses convertors a lot !

Reactions: A_S
Back