Canon EOS R Series Cameras

Probably we all view our set-ups as simple for ourselves as we've tuned the settings for our needs?

For me, it's Manual mode with auto ISO and the 3 dials to control shutter speed, aperture, and +/- exposure compensation.
C3 for video as that is what it uses when you press the record button in photo mode.
C1 and C2 occasionally configured for fast switching between freezing action and slow shutter effects.
Agree - I find Manual with auto ISO easy to use and just to go full manual is also easy from that mode. I set up C123 depending on what I am doing and you can also set up a custom button for an emergency recall setting - I have a setting for high shutter speed TV priority AF eye tracking auto ISO in case something jumps off quickly - I have an R5 so not sure if this feature is available on other EOS R models? I think the setting is call "recall shooting function" - I have it set up on my AF point button.

Last edited:
It appears canon is using 1.0mm adhesive rubber sheets in their applications. Quite likely it is neoprene.

So with careful cutting that cheap grip can be possibly sealed to the same standards as OEM. Worst case you leave a tiny gap, still better than nothing.. I might give it a go if I don't get rid of it asap. It depends if the plastic de-stinks (I'm very sensitive to smells) in a day or two and whether I am bothered about having a grip for vertical shooting situations as I can't see myself using it in another scenario at all.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/262843828770 - this gives a lot of attempts

So essentially dirt cheap; I can't see why neewer suppliers overlooked it. It would cost them essentially nothing and only take a few seconds to stick it in.
They should implement it asap. Better late than never. The cameras are still current.

Oh boy... My Voigtlander 50mm f/1 Nokton arrived today in RF mount.

I've been using an adapted EF 50 f/1.8 and an adapted Zeiss Sonnar 50mm f/1.5 for a while, but wanted something non-adapted and a little more modern.

I've had the thing all of about 10 minutes and I can see it becoming my new favourite lens. It's the same length as the 35mm RF 1.8 but a bit fatter and obviously a lot heavier. Still much more "portable" than the (almost twice the price) 50mm f/1.2. I enjoy using rangefinders. As a glasses wearer, I find it much easier than traditional split screen focussing, but the way the lens integrates with the eye tracking, and has the "three arrows" focussing method makes it uncannily similar to the way I'd use a rangefinder. It's fun to use, small, and obviously has great light gathering capability.

I even managed a photo of the cat at f/1! It's sharp - forum compression makes it look less so. (ISO 2000)

R6_I8070.jpg

Not yet, but I'm thinking about getting one, just to give the R7 a bit more body and a little bit of protection.

But the only one I can find is on eBay and currently in China, though they did give me a discount knocking £12 off bless them.

I have thought about it just to protect my R5 body. I use an L bracket but considered the cage. However, I tried an L bracket for the R5 with the battery grip and it was quite bulky and very uncomfortable - returned it immediately. When I looked at the pictures of the Smallrig cage I figured that would be equally uncomfortable. I have also seen several comments on you tube videos where people have had issues with the cage rubbing on the body and causing minor damage - decided to give it a miss. You could always order one on amazon and return it if you don't like it.

Last edited:
anyone know of a free shutter count checker for the eor r cameras.

i tried a bunch of them and they dont seem to work

I wish camera companies would just show it in the menus

v 1.9 from October looks to be the latest

I do need to update but for the last few updates its been very minor and not felt like much benefit to upgrading. I think early 2023 was the last major firmware update but it could have been earlier than that.

No never used 11-24mm, but 10-20mm is nearly half of the 1.165kg of the latter.

OK thanks.
Always on the lookout for some real world opinions between the 2 that’s all.

I’m still in the opinion the 11-24 is (going by my copy at least) the best Canon lens I’ve used optically. It’s just a stellar piece of glass, it really is.

Hi All is anyone using the Mac Ventura and is there any issues? with any photo software before I download it
I can’t get canon’s software to connect to the cameras, and latest firmware dmgs don’t open. Thanks for the reminder I’ll try again today.

Lightroom, photoshop, capture one, topaz, photomechanic are all working no problem

OK thanks.
Always on the lookout for some real world opinions between the 2 that’s all.

I’m still in the opinion the 11-24 is (going by my copy at least) the best Canon lens I’ve used optically. It’s just a stellar piece of glass, it really is.
Nice, if you are happy with 11-24mm apart from the weight, you have the opportunity to use the adapter with build-in filters. Just noted you're in Buckinghamshire, I'm should be spending quite some time at Staines to photograph short-eared owls over the weekend and Xmas break. So if you can travel there you're welcome to try the 10-20mm.

Nice, if you are happy with 11-24mm apart from the weight, you have the opportunity to use the adapter with build-in filters. Just noted you're in Buckinghamshire, I'm should be spending quite some time at Staines to photograph short-eared owls over the weekend and Xmas break. So if you can travel there you're welcome to try the 10-20mm.

No, it wasn’t through my intention of a possible swapping over. I’ve just been really interested in how they compare, image quality wise, that’s all :)

The weight of lenses (within reason, of course) haven’t really bothered me so much as the ergonomics and balancing of them.

I bought my 28-70 when I had the original R body with the grip. To me (all 11 stone of me :D ) it was perfectly hand holdable for long periods.
But when I swapped it out for the R5 when it was released during the pandemic; the lack of available battery grip (due to shortages) was far too much for the 28-70.
My wrists were shot within minutes.

It’s the same when using my 500 f4. I find it far more comfortable and balanced to handhold than I do the longer lenses with extending zoom.
The weight shift (even though far lighter than my 500) just completely throws me.

I’m away till new years, unfortunately. But thank you for the kind offer of trying it :)

I need to ask where you’re going in Staines to take pics of the owls though. That I am interested in… :D

No, it wasn’t through my intention of a possible swapping over. I’ve just been really interested in how they compare, image quality wise, that’s all :)

The weight of lenses (within reason, of course) haven’t really bothered me so much as the ergonomics and balancing of them.

I bought my 28-70 when I had the original R body with the grip. To me (all 11 stone of me :D ) it was perfectly hand holdable for long periods.
But when I swapped it out for the R5 when it was released during the pandemic; the lack of available battery grip (due to shortages) was far too much for the 28-70.
My wrists were shot within minutes.

It’s the same when using my 500 f4. I find it far more comfortable and balanced to handhold than I do the longer lenses with extending zoom.
The weight shift (even though far lighter than my 500) just completely throws me.

I’m away till new years, unfortunately. But thank you for the kind offer of trying it :)

I need to ask where you’re going in Staines to take pics of the owls though. That I am interested in… :D
Lol, okay weight is not an issue, but then I was a little surprised with the 10-20mm :)

It's at Staines Moor, beside the reservoir... plenty of people with telephoto lenses there and you won't miss it :p

I can’t get canon’s software to connect to the cameras, and latest firmware dmgs don’t open. Thanks for the reminder I’ll try again today.

Lightroom, photoshop, capture one, topaz, photomechanic are all working no problem
Correction, I'm using Sonoma (v14) not Ventura. Checking the Canon website they have not released software for that OS yet so that will be why it's not working. As I recall it has taken Canon some time to update for new Mac OS in the past.

Lol, okay weight is not an issue, but then I was a little surprised with the 10-20mm :)

It's at Staines Moor, beside the reservoir... plenty of people with telephoto lenses there and you won't miss it :p

Thanks.
Just typed the place in on instagram.; and a fair few of the recent pics are of them.
Are they frequent there; or just about at the moment?

Thanks.
Just typed the place in on instagram.; and a fair few of the recent pics are of them.
Are they frequent there; or just about at the moment?
It depends, they seem to be coming and going. At the peak, there are probably 6 of them there. But some must've moved on... That's wildlife for you... I'm still trying to get decent images of them, but seem to be out of luck. :(

It depends, they seem to be coming and going. At the peak, there are probably 6 of them there. But some must've moved on... That's wildlife for you... I'm still trying to get decent images of them, but seem to be out of luck. :(
Any recommendations for parking ? Is the place full of togs? Very tempted to pay a visit.

Heads up for anyone who fancies a go on some new gear, Canons test drive means you get free hire from 22/12 to 02/01 this Christmas.
Spotted that last week, running out of RF gear to test on there ;) But I have booked the new 28mm pancake to try, should be interesting for indoor shots over Christmas.

Oh and WEX are doing 12 days rental for the price of 2 if that interests anyone.

Think I've mentioned this before, but the frustrating delay between taking stills and then pressing record on video is so so so annoying! Was out on the trail today and was photographing some chipmunks - got some perfect stills I was happy with, perhaps around about 10 fired off in RAW (Compressed raw at that too!) and then wanted to hit the record button to get some 4K as he was scratching himself. Would it go, oh no it woukdn't. And missed it. It's the one thing about the R5 that I just don't get, these delays between switching from photos to then being able to record video. I'm using fast SD and Sandisk CF express cards. More annoying as no other camera has it - the other two I have that are not used much, being the SL2 and the Nikon Z7 are perfect. Why oh why...

Think I've mentioned this before, but the frustrating delay between taking stills and then pressing record on video is so so so annoying! Was out on the trail today and was photographing some chipmunks - got some perfect stills I was happy with, perhaps around about 10 fired off in RAW (Compressed raw at that too!) and then wanted to hit the record button to get some 4K as he was scratching himself. Would it go, oh no it woukdn't. And missed it. It's the one thing about the R5 that I just don't get, these delays between switching from photos to then being able to record video. I'm using fast SD and Sandisk CF express cards. More annoying as no other camera has it - the other two I have that are not used much, being the SL2 and the Nikon Z7 are perfect. Why oh why...
You can set up a button to quick record - were you aware of that? Or was this a buffering issue?

a buffering issue sadly. Just don’t get why it has a buffering issue!!
Slow SD card. All my buffering went away when I moved from what was labelled as a v30/UHS-I card to real v90/UHS-II card... Check what spec your body can take & find a decent make, real, not-fake one.

Back