Canon FF mirrorless...

I think some people are confusing this forum for a photography forum! It’s a gear forum through and through so playing Top Trumps with spec sheets will always prevail.

As for staying with Canon if you are already a Canon shooter (or vice versa) I don’t agree with this. It’s irrelevant whether you have £1 or £1m invested in Canon SLR lenses you need to buy a different body and ultimately different lenses if you want to stay with Canon. That’s a switch to a new system btw;)

What I hear you cry you wish to adapt all your ageing SLR lenses? Well fine you can choose the canon/Nikon or Sony! Hell you could even choose all three!

The future is very different and we don’t need to be stuck in the mindset of ‘keeping’ to one brand anymore.

We don't need to be stuck with one brand but I'd say this is usually only particularly relevant if you're more interested in perceived status and pride of ownership than photography. Of course anyone can switch if they want. Maybe you can botch your system to use your existing lenses with another body, but if you want to use your Canon lenses Sony sure isn't the best camera to put them on though - or Nikon - any other camera but Canon!

Just because you can do something doesn't mean it's a good idea. Will it bring you any "ease of use" advantage to hop to another system? Probably not. Will it help your photography? Almost certainly not. It's just a distraction from actually taking photographs. I increasingly read about people switching from Canon to Nikon then moving to Sony and, next year, no doubt back to Canon again and agonising over each switch. At this point, I will confess that over the years, I went from Canon to Nikon and back and then to a mixture of Fuji and Canon. I'm no better :)

You're right though. The thing most people in online forums are really mainly interested is gear. I used to be a member of another forum and it used to surprise me how those most obsessed with gear produced the most mediocre pictures. They were looking at pixels and enjoying the pixel level technical quality and simply using the picture to justify their investment. It's all a bit silly.

The life and death arguments and personal affront if anyone dares to prefer another system isn't very attractive. Don't forget the biggest investment being made isn't in gear, it's in ego ;)

Last edited:
I shot this using live view on the 5D4 so technically it's 99% like the EOS R :p

QV0RWoF.jpg

You don't have to change lenses though, that's the whole point... Their adapted lenses are supposed to work just as well, if not better in some cases.

.... I have been testing my EOS R body with the adapter on all my EF lenses and can report that they definitely do work equally well as they do on D-SLR bodies.

In fact, the EF 100-400mm L II when mounted with a 2x III Extender works better on the R than it does on my 1DX-2. This is because the R is able to use all its AF points at F/11. The R is almost useless at tracking bursts though! Doubtless because I exclusively shoot Dual Pixel RAW. Image quality is superb as far as can see at 100% in the EVF (no CR3 files processed yet).

Apparently, the newly released EF 400mm & 600mm supertelephoto primes have performance increased when mounted on a R body (+ Adapter) because there is more two-way communication and these two latest EF lenses have nano gear inside them.

Last edited:
What really makes me laugh in all this hype is the sheer amount of in depth camera reviews FFS it’s only been out a few weeks , I’ve had my Panasonic for over six months and I’m still finding out new things I can do with it . Where do these u.tube experts get there qualifications from , the dandy and beano looking at some of them

You're right though. The thing most people in online forums are really mainly interested is gear. I used to be a member of another forum and it used to surprise me how those most obsessed with gear produced the most mediocre pictures. They were looking at pixels and enjoying the pixel level technical quality and simply using the picture to justify their investment. It's all a bit silly.

The life and death arguments and personal affront if anyone dares to prefer another system isn't very attractive. Don't forget the biggest investment being made isn't in gear, it's in ego ;)

.... Based on feedback both here and elsewhere, I am going to exercise my ego and say that I am better than mediocre [Wooster, I know your comment wasn't aimed particularly at me]. But... I also have GearSlut tendencies.

All the gear is, is a tool which has the potential to enable. It does a better job of enabling when you also enjoy it.

You will hopefully notice that I never knock other brands - They each have their strengths and weaknesses, including Canon. Personally I prefer to spend my money fine-tuning my EOS system rather than spend even more money swopping brands.

Last edited:
Well most folks here who own a camera wouldn't slate it in public... For all we know. Maybe you ain't happy with it lol

I remember slating the Panasonic G7 and GX7 I owned to the annoyance of some people in the various threads who seemed to think that issues didn't exist or shouldn't be mentioned. I was accused of "putting people off," I assume I was meant to keep quiet and leave newbies to buy stuff and discover flaws and limitations and feel angry that their hard earned had been spent on product that should have been better rather than provide feedback and info so that they could make an informed decision. I did and still do think that people at Panasonic should have been thoroughly ashamed for bringing such flawed kit market.

If we see issues or limitations we should speak out otherwise people may not have the info they need to make good choices.

Last edited:
.... Based on feedback both here and elsewhere, I am going to exercise my ego and say that I am better than mediocre [Wooster, I know your comment wasn't aimed particularly at me]. But... I also have GearSlut tendencies.

All the gear is, is a tool which has the potential to enable. It does a better job of enabling when you also enjoy it.

You will hopefully notice that I never knock other brands - They each have their strengths and weaknesses, including Canon. Personally I prefer to spend my money fine-tuning my EOS system rather than spend even more money swopping brands.

Hi Robin

My comment was not aimed in any way at all at you and it wasn't aimed at any one else on this thread either. I was just musing in general and as I said, my comment was mainly based on experience on another forum I was in several years ago, where heated debates were common and unpleasant. As you will notice from my post, I also included myself in the gear acquisition thing. I'm not railing against buying new gear; it can be fun. I was just pointing out we can all get precious about our gear and carried away sometimes ;)

Had a very quick play with one last weekend at Wex, (edit...my spellcheck altered that to Sex!!!) .....and although it's not for me at the moment, I have couple of questions for those of you that have one.....

1. Can you use BBF?
2. How do you move the AF points around the screen other than by touching it?

Love the fact that it's quiet, though, great for wildlife.....

George.

Well most folks here who own a camera wouldn't slate it in public... For all we know. Maybe you ain't happy with it lol
what an odd comment, some of us dont need to slag of others cameras to justify buying our own jonney. most would admit if their camera didn't work

You don't have to change lenses though, that's the whole point... Their adapted lenses are supposed to work just as well, if not better in some cases. The same can't be said for adapted lenses on Sony, I so wish it did though.
I suspect an adapted canon lens on a Sony would work nearly as well or just as well as an adapted canon lens on a Canon EOS R. I don’t know that though and I look forward to the inevitable tests.

The many advantages the Sony cam has over the Eos R may mean that for many this is worth doing?

You don't have to change lenses though, that's the whole point... Their adapted lenses are supposed to work just as well, if not better in some cases. The same can't be said for adapted lenses on Sony, I so wish it did though.

well the non-screw driven a-mount lenses do work pretty well tbh. Sony won't and can't be expected to support mounts from other manufactures.

On the flip side you can't adapt a-mount and F-mount on R
OR EF and a-mount on Z.

while you can adapt all three on to e-mount (to various degrees of capability with a-mount being best for obviously reasons!)

Last edited:
I suspect an adapted canon lens on a Sony would work nearly as well or just as well as an adapted canon lens on a Canon EOS R. I don’t know that though and I look forward to the inevitable tests.

The many advantages the Sony cam has over the Eos R may mean that for many this is worth doing?

I use an A9 with adapted Canon lenses and it ain't all sunshine and smiles unfortunately. It is however much better than I expected and if you're shooting static or slow moving subjects it'll do the job.

well the non-screw driven a-mount lenses do work pretty well tbh. Sony won't and can't be expected to support mounts from other manufactures.

On the flip side you can't adapt a-mount and F-mount on R
OR EF and a-mount on Z.

while you can adapt all three on to e-mount (to various degrees of capability with a-mount being best for obviously reasons!)

Yeah, I was talking more about Canon adapted lenses rather than a-mount using the official adapter. Completely forgot that existed to be honest!

Yeah, I was talking more about Canon adapted lenses rather than a-mount using the official adapter. Completely forgot that existed to be honest!

yes easy to forget simply because there are lot more EF users than there was ever a-mount users :)

I think in the end if you want to keep using your EF lenses (and for good reason tbh) EOS R is a better future.

I did contemplate buying back my fav 100mm f2 and getting the 35mm f1.8 macro.
The lenses are already there for me but the body is a different matter for me.

Last edited:
Hi Robin

My comment was not aimed in any way at all at you and it wasn't aimed at any one else on this thread either. I was just musing in general and as I said, my comment was mainly based on experience on another forum I was in several years ago, where heated debates were common and unpleasant. As you will notice from my post, I also included myself in the gear acquisition thing. I'm not railing against buying new gear; it can be fun. I was just pointing out we can all get precious about our gear and carried away sometimes ;)
That’s true Wooster and I will be the first to apologise for going over the top with praise over my M100 and 16-45 kit.:p

What a f*****g moronic post.
Well, it takes one to know one.

Phil, I know you're a straight talking Northener but you don't half abuse that sometimes. Your posts get reported way too much.

nothing to do with cameras but my main previous hobby to this was metal detecting ,and with the advent of the the internet lots of online reviews started to appear most of them for new models that claimed this that and the other i.e ludicrous depth levels and the ability to find grains of gold etc . these were quiet frequent and I usually found that the detectors were then sold on sometimes at a profit by the tester a month or so after . in fact one importer asked me to do a test report for a magazine and my write up told the truth it was a bloody terrible machine and only worked on certain fields , I was supposed to keep the machine and a payment for the article but as I told the truth I got neither and it was collected and returned soon after.

I do feel that a lot of these u.tubers are acting on the same sort of basis i.e film a good review and the cameras yours to keep or sell . seldom will the owner off a gspwy mkiii (made up) camera or lens slag it off for being a heap of shiite as they know full well that will effect its re-sale value .

I think in the end if you want to keep using your EF lenses (and for good reason tbh) EOS R is a better future.

I did contemplate buying back my fav 100mm f2 and getting the 35mm f1.8 macro.

The lenses are already there for me but the body is a different matter for me.

.... Hang on in there if you can, I know it's only speculation right now but Canon are very strongly rumoured to be announcing the next R body in late January and there is a chance it may suit you (and me) better.

I want a much much faster fps burst rate! But also still need the Vari-angle screen (which is truly excellent in every respect, imo).

.... Hang on in there if you can, I know it's only speculation right now but Canon are very strongly rumoured to be announcing the next R body in late January and there is a chance it may suit you (and me) better.

I want a much much faster fps burst rate! But also still need the Vari-angle screen (which is truly excellent in every respect, imo).
Suit you?

You already happy with the eos R. That suits your needs fine?

Many do and defend there purchases with all there might.

.... Please rest assured that I have bought my EOS R with a 30-day option to return it with no questions asked, so simply if I don't like the camera. So, everything I post about it is unbiassed and my very honest opinion but which can only be based on my own uses.

I'm here to both share and l learn more about it. I'm NOT here for 'who has the biggest dick' contests. Every brand has its pros and cons, including Canon.

.... Please rest assured that I have bought my EOS R with a 30-day option to return it with no questions asked, so simply if I don't like the camera. So, everything I post about it is unbiassed and my very honest opinion but which can only be based on my own uses.

I'm here to both share and l learn more about it. I'm NOT here for 'who has the biggest dick' contests. Every brand has its pros and cons, including Canon.
So are you considering returning it?

Thought you are happy with it

Wise to get the option to return, but I would be extremely surprised if you return it, as you seemed to be 'smitten'/'hooked', as soon as it arrived. ;) Always nice when one is happy with what they have purchased. :)

Had a very quick play with one last weekend at Wex, (edit...my spellcheck altered that to Sex!!!) .....and although it's not for me at the moment, I have couple of questions for those of you that have one.....

1. Can you use BBF?
2. How do you move the AF points around the screen other than by touching it?

Love the fact that it's quiet, though, great for wildlife.....

George.

.... Hi George! Hope you're well and enjoying your weekends of sex.

1. Yes you can use BBF. The button is slightly at an angle but the side of your thumb does it and the adjacent 'star' button is easy to roll your thumb into < I have ONE SHOT / AI SERVO toggled on that button and the EVF displays which you are currently in as well as at the moment you change it if you are buried in the viewfinder. Mirrorless has some very nice advantages. Also histogram optionally displayed in the viewfinder with 2 size options. When you have the Vari-angle screen out and looking down on the camera for a low shot, the BBF is perfectly positioned at that slight angle.

2. I very rarely ever move the AF points about at all and it can be too easy to move your centre point unintentionally I fhave found, so mine is switched off. Otherwise I think you can press a button and use the 'compass' control wheel which I've read can be a slower method. Reports of using the touchscreen to move the AF points have been very positive, just not for me at the moment.

Having a truly silent option is a two-sided coin. It further compromises an already sluggishly slooow fps burst, as does shooting in Dual Pixel RAW (which I always do for obvious advantages). This R model is not good for fast moving subjects at all. I bought mine to replace my M5 for insects and close-ups but the R is far superior to the M5 for my purposes.

It's speculation of course but Canon are strongly rumoured to be announcing a higher spec EOS R body in January for release some time in 2019.

HTH

I use an A9 with adapted Canon lenses and it ain't all sunshine and smiles unfortunately. It is however much better than I expected and if you're shooting static or slow moving subjects it'll do the job.
Having adapted lenses myself I know all too well it’s not the answer. It’s at best a stop gap for all three manufacturers. It won’t be sunshine and smiles on the canon either. As said I suspect the far better sony cameras would ‘overall’ be a better ‘package’ for Canon lenses over the ‘current’ native canon camera.

Having adapted lenses myself I know all too well it’s not the answer. It’s at best a stop gap for all three manufacturers. It won’t be sunshine and smiles on the canon either. As said I suspect the far better sony cameras would ‘overall’ be a better ‘package’ for Canon lenses over the ‘current’ native canon camera.

You don't know that though do you? It's already been pointed out that the official Sony A-mount adapters actually worked quite well. All the feedback on the R mount EF adapter has been very positive so far. AF performance of the EOS R body is a different matter.

Wise to get the option to return, but I would be extremely surprised if you return it, as you seemed to be 'smitten'/'hooked', as soon as it arrived. ;) Always nice when one is happy with what they have purchased. :)

.... It's like a new girlfriend < Perfect for the first couple of months or until you start living together :D

But in fact, just handling it I knew that it felt very right - I am very aware of its limitations and have posted about them in this thread. My R purchase was to replace my M5 for insect and low level shots but its features enable a lot more I'm happy to say.

Last edited:
.... It's like a new girlfriend < Perfect for the first couple of months or until you start living together :D

But in fact, just handling it I knew that it felt very right - I am very aware of its limitations and have posted about them in this thread. My R purchase was to replace my M5 for insect and low level shots but its features enable a lot more I'm gald to say.
As I said, 'smitten'/'hooked'. ;) :LOL: You want it, you feel it is an improvement for you, job done. :)

Back