Canon FF mirrorless...

Wise to get the option to return, but I would be extremely surprised if you return it, as you seemed to be 'smitten'/'hooked', as soon as it arrived. ;) Always nice when one is happy with what they have purchased. :)
Exactly.

The bloke was creaming his pants using it!

I'm sure he will keep it

They either can’t or aren’t confident that they can emulate the IS benefits that they can achieve with the new R IS lenses. Now if they put that new IS into every R lens then why bother with IBIS as the performance advantages seem to be as good as or better than FF IBIS. Downside, extra expense and it needs to go into all lenses increasing size. For me, I really don’t care whether a camera has IBIS or not. There are far more important reasons why I’ll be giving the R a miss although I can see why Robin has bought one. He’s already been using a mirrorless for his macro while I use a 5D4/D850 and wouldn’t want to change. The rest of my photography relies mainly on having a high frame rate which the R obviously lacks so I use a 1DX2. On the rare occasions I do landscape then I won’t feel that by using the 5D4/D850 I’ll be using something not as good.

I just find it annoying that they're trying to sell us an obvious lie, yes someone may well get better performance out of IS over certain IBIS implementations but on most systems you'd be getting both for optimal stabilisation. I have a much easier time believing they didn't include IBIS because they wanted a larger profit margin or concluded that for the market segment the R is aimed it's not that big of a selling point, I'd argue the same logic probably justifies the lack of a second card slot.

.... Hi George! Hope you're well and enjoying your weekends of sex.

1. Yes you can use BBF. The button is slightly at an angle but the side of your thumb does it and the adjacent 'star' button is easy to roll your thumb into < I have ONE SHOT / AI SERVO toggled on that button and the EVF displays which you are currently in as well as at the moment you change it if you are buried in the viewfinder. Mirrorless has some very nice advantages. Also histogram optionally displayed in the viewfinder with 2 size options. When you have the Vari-angle screen out and looking down on the camera for a low shot, the BBF is perfectly positioned at that slight angle.

2. I very rarely ever move the AF points about at all and it can be too easy to move your centre point unintentionally I fhave found, so mine is switched off. Otherwise I think you can press a button and use the 'compass' control wheel which I've read can be a slower method. Reports of using the touchscreen to move the AF points have been very positive, just not for me at the moment.

Having a truly silent option is a two-sided coin. It further compromises an already sluggishly slooow fps burst, as does shooting in Dual Pixel RAW (which I always do for obvious advantages). This R model is not good for fast moving subjects at all. I bought mine to replace my M5 for insects and close-ups but the R is far superior to the M5 for my purposes.

It's speculation of course but Canon are strongly rumoured to be announcing a higher spec EOS R body in January for release some time in 2019.

HTH

Thanks, Robin, yes the weekend is almost upon us!!!!!...

Interesting to get some real world info rather than just speculation...I'm sure one day we'll all be using them and the 1 Dx will be old hat....but that's quite a bit in the future I suspect.

Looking forward to developments!!

Cheers (and have a good weekend!!!)

George.

I just find it annoying that they're trying to sell us an obvious lie, yes someone may well get better performance out of IS over certain IBIS implementations but on most systems you'd be getting both for optimal stabilisation. I have a much easier time believing they didn't include IBIS because they wanted a larger profit margin or concluded that for the market segment the R is aimed it's not that big of a selling point, I'd argue the same logic probably justifies the lack of a second card slot.

Why annoyed? Did you really expect Canon to say that? They've simply said in-lens stabilisation is better, which is true.

The EOS-R is not a top-end camera. All manufacturers leave features off lower end models (sometimes even deliberately disabling them) to make the higher versions more appealing. I have no doubt at all that Canon will include both IBIS and dual card slots in future models, plus improved AF, faster servo-tracking, higher frame rate, full-frame 4K and all the other stuff. If the EOS-R is looked at as more of a market monitor than the ultimate mirrorless camera, then it all makes perfect sense to me.

Leaving IBIS and dual slots off the EOS-R could turn out to be a marketing master-stroke - they'll sell our Rob two cameras instead of one :D

Why annoyed? Did you really expect Canon to say that? They've simply said in-lens stabilisation is better, which is true.

The EOS-R is not a top-end camera. All manufacturers leave features off lower end models (sometimes even deliberately disabling them) to make the higher versions more appealing. I have no doubt at all that Canon will include both IBIS and dual card slots in future models, plus improved AF, faster servo-tracking, higher frame rate, full-frame 4K and all the other stuff. If the EOS-R is looked at as more of a market monitor than the ultimate mirrorless camera, then it all makes perfect sense to me.

Leaving IBIS and dual slots off the EOS-R could turn out to be a marketing master-stroke - they'll sell our Rob two cameras instead of one :D
All manufacturers eh? Nope! Not all. Just canikon!

All manufacturers eh? Nope! Not all. Just canikon!

Yeah yeah ;)

But seriously, Canikon are in a very different position to Sony, who have nothing to lose and everything to gain by throwing the kitchen sink at their mirrorless cameras, at the lowest possible prices. They'll make the profit back from lens sales.

Canikon must play that game carefully, to protect their DSLR camera/lens business that still drives the lion's share of their profit and will continue to do so for quite a few years yet. Plus Canikon can't make much money back on lenses because a) they only have a few, and b) the major appeal of their new mirrorless models is you don't need to buy a bag full of new lenses.

When looked at in that light, from a long-term business perspective, I think Canon has played the EOS-R just right. I always thought it would be the second full-frame mirrorless model that I'd be wanting, or possibly the third in a couple of years time. My next camera is almost certainly going to be a 5D4. Canon tend to be quite conservative and not always first to market with innovations. But when they do get around to it, they do it right and usually end up with the biggest sellers.

Yeah yeah ;)

But seriously, Canikon are in a very different position to Sony, who have nothing to lose and everything to gain by throwing the kitchen sink at their mirrorless cameras, at the lowest possible prices. They'll make the profit back from lens sales.

Canikon must play that game carefully, to protect their DSLR camera/lens business that still drives the lion's share of their profit and will continue to do so for quite a few years yet. Plus Canikon can't make much money back on lenses because a) they only have a few, and b) the major appeal of their new mirrorless models is you don't need to buy a bag full of new lenses.

When looked at in that light, from a long-term business perspective, I think Canon has played the EOS-R just right. I always thought it would be the second full-frame mirrorless model that I'd be wanting, or possibly the third in a couple of years time. My next camera is almost certainly going to be a 5D4. Canon tend to be quite conservative and not always first to market with innovations. But when they do get around to it, they do it right and usually end up with the biggest sellers.
@Phil once laughed at us saying how canon may be protecting there DSLR sales!!!

anyways yes 5d4 is a better camera then this IMO and you will love it!

It annoys me when it leads to comments like IBIS is a compromise, when you can have both it's a very poor point (if I were pushed, there's probably more reasons to exclude IS than IBIS).

I realise this and I agree, I'm not arguing they should change the R (well, besides the price). I'm not expecting any surprises from their 5D mirrorless as the R is halfway there already but the 1D equivalent should be interesting as there's really only the A9 and we'll hopefully see Canon exceed the DSLR it's based on (unlike Nikon). Thinking about it Canon's biggest mistake with the R was probably the name, what's the 5D going to be? T? R5? :eek:

He needs a loyalty card, after the eighth camera they'll chuck in one free but joking aside I can't see many people upgrading for just those reasons, if I reasoned their absence wasn't a problem I think I'd also reason their addition doesn't carry much of a premium.

.... The EOS R teardown posted earlier shows that there is plenty of space for an IBIS module as and when Canon decide.

:LOL: Hey, I'm just taking advantage of enjoying what Canon have to offer in further enabling me in my photographic efforts.

He needs a loyalty card, after the eighth camera they'll chuck in one free but joking aside I can't see many people upgrading for just those reasons, if I reasoned their absence wasn't a problem I think I'd also reason their addition doesn't carry much of a premium.

.... I would be more than happy to be given a Canon loyalty card but people tend to look after me anyway :D

Everyone here knows that I bought the R as a M5 replacement for what I do and also what I find are its shortcomings (too slooow burst fps) but I also find its mirrorless advantages very enjoyable as a second body.

:canon: Yes I do, I do, I do :D

It annoys me when it leads to comments like IBIS is a compromise, when you can have both it's a very poor point (if I were pushed, there's probably more reasons to exclude IS than IBIS).

Depends on your point of view. Those with unstabilised lenses would obviously agree, but long lens shooters would prefer in-lens. Personally, I'd like to see IBIS as it'd make some of the unstabilised primes I want a lot more appealing - and there in a nutshell is why Canon will surely introduce it soon.

I realise this and I agree, I'm not arguing they should change the R (well, besides the price). I'm not expecting any surprises from their 5D mirrorless as the R is halfway there already but the 1D equivalent should be interesting as there's really only the A9 and we'll hopefully see Canon exceed the DSLR it's based on (unlike Nikon). Thinking about it Canon's biggest mistake with the R was probably the name, what's the 5D going to be? T? R5? :eek:

I think Canon might be quite relieved to get away from the 5D Mk1, 2, 3, 4 straight-jacket that predetermines a certain feature set. It's a bit like the movies Jaws 1, 2, 3 etc with a predestined story-line. Nice problem to have tho :)

Throughout this thread people have fallen into the trap of thinking what's important to them is important to everyone else. Canon knows what they're doing and every feature, or lack of, is deliberately and carefully considered. I'm sure that if we sat in Canon's board room (overlooking the warehouses full of DSLRs and EF lenses) it'd all make perfect sense. The EOS-R is the first of what will become a long and comprehensive line of cameras appealing to a wide range of users at a wide range of prices. It's just one camera, pitched into the popular upper-middle sector. I don't think it's realistic or meaningful to draw too many conclusions about what Canon is capable of or what we'll see in the (quite near) future. But it's a promising start IMHO.

Last edited:
After a week or so of having my EOS R ... had few 'real life' tests with it. And so far .. it does have its limitations (which I knew when purchasing it).
But it does deserve a space in my bag as a third/fourth body in the games I cover.
Naturally not one to be kept as a main body - with the slow FPS.
But have used it on MF mode as a remote camera - and it does take enough pictures to get me what I need.
Also I do like the video capabilities (in Finland it's rare to see any 4K footage on the sites I need to publish). So the R does more than good enough job on the video I need it for.

Did also use this to take profile pictures (with studio lights) - and the results were quite impressive... so for that side of my work, the EOS R does a good job for me.

Nowhere near to even consider leaving my other bodies at home - but the compact size and the video and other bits..
I do like what this has to offer.

If the rumoured 'pro version' comes out next year and has a minimum 14fps.. I can see it being a good second body for me.
Still maybe one or two upgrades from that version, before I would consider selling my 1DX mkII to only have mirrorless bodies in my bag.

You don't know that though do you? It's already been pointed out that the official Sony A-mount adapters actually worked quite well. All the feedback on the R mount EF adapter has been very positive so far. AF performance of the EOS R body is a different matter.
Even if the Canon adapted has better af (and let’s assume it does) the Sony will give you IBIS, eye af, better sensor so better IQ, spare card slot ;) and much more besides. That may mean more to a shooter than slightly faster af. Then again it might not.

Having a Sony a7riii and a lovely canon prime would be far better for landscapes than the canon camera for one example.

Is in-lens stabilisation really better though?
I think for longer focal lengths yes, but for shorter lenses / primes, I’m not so sure.
I think IBIS is better and then using longer lenses with lens stabilisation makes it even better.

How many axis does IS offer vs IBIS?

Depends on your point of view. Those with unstabilised lenses would obviously agree, but long lens shooters would prefer in-lens. Personally, I'd like to see IBIS as it'd make some of the unstabilised primes I want a lot more appealing - and there in a nutshell is why Canon will surely introduce it soon.

I think Canon might be quite relieved to get away from the 5D Mk1, 2, 3, 4 straight-jacket that predetermines a certain feature set. It's a bit like the movies Jaws 1, 2, 3 etc with a predestined story-line. Nice problem to have tho :)

Throughout this thread people have fallen into the trap of thinking what's important to them is important to everyone else. Canon knows what they're doing and every feature, or lack of, is deliberately and carefully considered. I'm sure that if we sat in Canon's board room (overlooking the warehouses full of DSLRs and EF lenses) it'd all make perfect sense. The EOS-R is the first of what will become a long and comprehensive line of cameras appealing to a wide range of users at a wide range of prices. It's just one camera, pitched into the popular upper-middle sector. I don't think it's realistic or meaningful to draw too many conclusions about what Canon is capable of or what we'll see in the (quite near) future. But it's a promising start IMHO.

A very expensive promising start. A 3fps 6d for a lot of money. Canons bodies have never been good value so it's not surprising. they used to win in terms of lenses but now native has changed so that value has changed.

Is in-lens stabilisation really better though?
I think for longer focal lengths yes, but for shorter lenses / primes, I’m not so sure.
I think IBIS is better and then using longer lenses with lens stabilisation makes it even better.

How many axis does IS offer vs IBIS?
A very expensive promising start. A 3fps 6d for a lot of money. Canons bodies have never been good value so it's not surprising. they used to win in terms of lenses but now native has changed so that value has changed.

Just after making the point about subjective personal opinions not reflecting majority views, we get two more. The evidence so far is that Canon has done enough at the price point, and buyers are queuing up to pay their early-adopter's premium.

Just after making the point about subjective personal opinions not reflecting majority views, we get two more. The evidence so far is that Canon has done enough at the price point, and buyers are queuing up to pay their early-adopter's premium.

:D

Well! Re-reading this thread I'm pretty amazed. Even allowing for pretty low internet standards this really sucks. People being abused, sworn at, and belittled because they don't like the same camera as others or don't share their views. Wow!

To borrow a phrase from another mudslinger from across the Atlantic; Sad!!

Last edited:
Even if the Canon adapted has better af (and let’s assume it does) the Sony will give you IBIS, eye af, better sensor so better IQ, spare card slot ;) and much more besides. That may mean more to a shooter than slightly faster af. Then again it might not.

Having a Sony a7riii and a lovely canon prime would be far better for landscapes than the canon camera for one example.

Not slightly faster AF, AF that actually works for anything that isn't static... I've already said this tbh :D I do have an A9 which I use with adapted lenses.

All of this talk reminds me of this :)

every bloody GEAR THREAD on the forum makes me think of that to be honest... I really wish people would actually come here to Talk Photography not Talk Cameras or Talk Campervans or Talk b*****ks (that's OOF for those of you who never leave the gear forums or classifieds BTW).

This thread is a joke, the bickering back and forth is embarrassing, i just want opinions on the EOS-R if i wanted to read about Sony s***e i would f*** off to the Sony thread.

This thread is a joke, the bickering back and forth is embarrassing, i just want opinions on the EOS-R if i wanted to read about Sony s***e i would f*** off to the Sony thread.

A lot of it is joking so perhaps calm down a little bit or buy one and post your opinion.

pick the people posting about the wrong kit and ignore them. then ignore the people who quote them and ignore them too... you'll soon have a far more manageable thread to read.

ETA: just remember not to ignore the person who actually started the thread, or it'll disappear from view completely.

Last edited:
Yess my man

You’ve tagged me incorrectly twice now, and followed both of them with a post that makes no sense.

Go have a re-read, see where you went wrong. Check out how to spell my username, and whilst you’re there, hit the ignore button :p

I think you really ought to leave the thread to the people actually interested in the camera rather than posting I’ll informed or trolling posts.

You’ve tagged me incorrectly twice now, and followed both of them with a post that makes no sense.

Go have a re-read, see where you went wrong. Check out how to spell my username, and whilst you’re there, hit the ignore button [emoji14]

I think you really ought to leave the thread to the people actually interested in the camera rather than posting I’ll informed or trolling posts.
I'm not trolling and also have not mentioned any sony stuff here. All I have done recently is question why Rob is now saying this camera may not be the one for him.

I like you. You're my best friend. Please don't get hurt by me :(

pick the people posting about the wrong kit and ignore them. then ignore the people who quote them and ignore them too... you'll soon have a far more manageable thread to read.
just followed this advice and put 4 or 5 on ignore, ive never used ignore on any forum before. tbh I think a few bans need issuing as it just seems its rinse and repeat.
I really want to read about cameras I choose without being told crap camera/crap dr/fan boy. I love photography and reading about new gear I bought my ae1-p from amateur photography new many moons ago- but Christ this "my dick is bigger than yours posting" is making my hobby of 35 years seem jaded right now

just followed this advice and put 4 or 5 on ignore, ive never used ignore on any forum before. tbh I think a few bans need issuing as it just seems its rinse and repeat.
I really want to read about cameras I choose without being told crap camera/crap dr/fan boy. I love photography and reading about new gear I bought my ae1-p from amateur photography new many moons ago- but Christ this "my dick is bigger than yours posting" is making my hobby of 35 years seem jaded right now
So you just wanna read rosey posey plus points of a item and no negetives? Gotcha.

I'm not trolling and also have not mentioned any sony stuff here. All I have done recently is question why Rob is now saying this camera may not be the one for him.

I like you. You're my best friend. Please don't get hurt by me :(
Oh, you are trolling, I never mentioned Sony, you might have got the 2 words confused but they don’t mean the same thing.

I’m not hurt by you, I believe you’re a m***n. I won’t repeat the word, I got reported earlier.

.... Are you referring me when you say "Rob"? Only my late mother and my closest friends from my school days call me "Rob" - Sorry but you don't qualify, 'Jonney'.

If you are referring to me which I think you are, you haven't read my posts thoroughly enough because I have written very clearly many times to the point of probably boring everyone here to death, that I am very happy with my EOS R as a replacement for my M5 but that due to experiencing its shortcomings (slooow burst fps) and if/when Canon release a future mirrorless FF model which has a faster fps rate AND a Vario-angle screen, I am very likely to trade up. I knew about the fps limitation before I took delivery of it.

I live in the here and now because I have experienced enough death of others who have been close to me in my life to have learnt that this is the happiest way to live. And so I enjoy the current R and can work happily within its limitations. I am privileged to also own a 1DX-2 and between these two camera bodies I am very enabled and shoot most days and not just talk about camera gear.

Enough said.

Last edited:
Back on topic and in a sincere effort to share my firsthand experiences with the EOS R for the benefit of all who are interested :

This afternoon, it being very sunny, I went out into my 'BackYard' and spotted a Collared Dove perched on a very tall dead tree trunk. The Dove was one of a pair and so there was some flying and returning to the perch going on - Perfect for my tests.

I had with me the EOS R + Adapter mounted on my EF 100-400mm F/4L II with 2x III Extender. I also had with me my 1DX-2 body and 1.4x III. So I had a few possible combinations on same subject in same light conditions.

Long story short, any lens combo mounted on the EOS R was rubbish for any inflight shots no matter what I tried. Shooting Dual Pixel RAW and Servo etc doesn't help but I don't shoot JPEG. But any lens combo mounted on the 1DX-2 and at 14fps (my default), inflight shots were successfully tracked and nailed at the usual high percentage.

I have plenty of success on the EOS R with any lens or extender combo when shooting perched birds or more static subjects, but this is NOT a body a photographer can expect good action pictures from - If you nail any it's just luck. But I never expected the R to be a good wildlife body except for slow moving minibeasts anyway and so I'm not unhappy. I am enjoying the EOS R but knew its fps limitations before buying - What I have done is confirm the known limitation.

Possibly others may have more success than I have had when shooting action.

Last edited:
Back on topic and in a sincere effort to share my firsthand experiences with the EOS R for the benefit of all who are interested :

This afternoon, it being very sunny, I went out into my 'BackYard' and spotted a Collared Dove perched on a very tall dead tree trunk. The Dove was one of a pair and so there was some flying and returning to the perch going on - Perfect for my tests.

I had with me the EOS R + Adapter mounted on my EF 100-400mm F/4L II with 2x III Extender. I also had with me my 1DX-2 body and 1.4x III. So I had a few possible combinations on same subject in same light conditions.

Long story short, any lens combo mounted on the EOS R was rubbish for any inflight shots no matter what I tried. Shooting Dual Pixel RAW and Servo etc doesn't help but I don't shoot JPEG. But any lens combo mounted on the 1DX-2 and at 14fps (my default), inflight shots were successfully tracked and nailed at the usual high percentage.

I have plenty of success on the EOS R with any lens or extender combo when shooting perched birds or more static subjects, but this is NOT a body a photographer can expect good action pictures from - If you nail any it's just luck. But I never expected the R to be a good wildlife body except for slow moving minibeasts anyway and so I'm not unhappy. I am enjoying the EOS R but knew its fps limitations before buying - What I have done is confirm the known limitation.

Possibly others may have more success than I have had when shooting action.
not unexpected really, its a shame but not what its for I guess. the feedback on ef lens sounds good, if I have read correctly they are as fast/good as native. if that's the case then well done canon, its a huge selection of glass and no real need to upgrade.

Very interesting to hear about your experiences with moving subjects Robin.

I’m hoping I can spend some quality time with my EOS R this weekend. I have the 24-70mm f4 IS L, and from the few photographs I’ve taken (work getting in the way) it looks a wonderful lens. I have a 70-200 f4 L (non IS) coming tomorrow so that will give me a solid basic setup while my wallet recovers LOL. I’ve put a basic setup onto it, and will no doubt refine it as I go along. Really like the EVF, and coming from a G9, the size and shape of the grip makes the camera feel very, very comfortable and familiar in the hand.

Cheers,

Simon.

.... Are you referring me when you say "Rob"? Only my late mother and my closest friends from my school days call me "Rob" - Sorry but you don't qualify, 'Jonney'.

If you are referring to me which I think you are, you haven't read my posts thoroughly enough because I have written very clearly many times to the point of probably boring everyone here to death, that I am very happy with my EOS R as a replacement for my M5 but that due to experiencing its shortcomings (slooow burst fps) and if/when Canon release a future mirrorless FF model which has a faster fps rate AND a Vario-angle screen, I am very likely to trade up. I knew about the fps limitation before I took delivery of it.

I live in the here and now because I have experienced enough death of others who have been close to me in my life to have learnt that this is the happiest way to live. And so I enjoy the current R and can work happily within its limitations. I am privileged to also own a 1DX-2 and between these two camera bodies I am very enabled and shoot most days and not just talk about camera gear.

Enough said.
Awsome. I'll respond properly later!

Very interesting to hear about your experiences with moving subjects Robin.

I’m hoping I can spend some quality time with my EOS R this weekend. I have the 24-70mm f4 IS L, and from the few photographs I’ve taken (work getting in the way) it looks a wonderful lens. I have a 70-200 f4 L (non IS) coming tomorrow so that will give me a solid basic setup while my wallet recovers LOL. I’ve put a basic setup onto it, and will no doubt refine it as I go along. Really like the EVF, and coming from a G9, the size and shape of the grip makes the camera feel very, very comfortable and familiar in the hand.

Cheers,

Simon.
be really interesting what you think about it as an ex m4/3 owner myself

not unexpected really, its a shame but not what its for I guess. the feedback on ef lens sounds good, if I have read correctly they are as fast/good as native. if that's the case then well done canon, its a huge selection of glass and no real need to upgrade.

.... The RF 24-105mm F/4L IS kit lens is superb and no matter which combo of EF lens with/without Extender III versions I mount, performance doesn't suffer. In fact the EF 100-400mm II can AF with 2x III combo when mounted on the EOS R but not when mounted on the 1DX-2 because that combo kicks the max aperture down to F/11 and the R can support that. Works equally well when a Kenko 1.4x is mounted on my EF 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro lens too.

Please note that I haven't RAW converted and post-processed any shots yet as I'm waiting for CR3 support in CaptureOne. I want to be able to compare image quality directly with my 1DX-2 images, just out of interest. The potential keepers look good at 100% in the EVF though.

You're right, Niko, Canon have exploited their major asset of their range of EF lenses. The EOS R bodies are simply additions to the EOS system as a whole < That suits me very well.

You can also mount EF-S lenses (I don't have any) but it crops but displays full out in the EVF and Vari-angle screen and also only delivers 10Mp instead of 30Mp. But that's not necessarily a problem at all and might even be good if shooting video < Something I never do and know nothing about.

Enough said.
Ok Robin

Here it goes.

First of all. If your offended by me calling you Rob then I won't and apologies for offending you.

OK so you knew what you was getting yourself into with the lack of fps yet you still got it because you live for the now and can't wait for an actual mirrorless camera from canon that meets your needs in full?

I get where your coming from and you ain't the only one here who's experienced losses in life. I have for example and I'm like you.

Except I'm more extreme where i will ditch a whole new system to enjoy instead of shoe Horning and buying something I deem inferior and hoping the next release really does what I like it to do.

Life's too short to be a fanboy of anything. Enjoy everything you do mate and buy and stop being so negative and defensive.

Smile and have a prosperous life with your gear and photography

Back