Canon FF mirrorless...

Maybe I used native jargon wrongly. I mean I want to be able to use my existing EF lenses as I do now, no penalties with AF speed or other drawbacks.
Given that's the case with the M5 I'd say it's highly likely

Given that's the case with the M5 I'd say it's highly likely

Thanks, looking forward to hearing more. At the moment very happy with 5D4 and 1DX2 combination, happy to wait until something comes out that will be a worthwhile step up from these.

They've stuck to a much smaller lens mount designed for APSC.

You could argue that they designed it with FF in mind, hence why they didn’t need to change it.
Sony has the head start with their FE lens lineup, let’s see if both Nikon & Canon can catch up.
Its all good for competition, can’t wait to see A7 III / A9 beating bodies from both Nikon & Canon :)

One which supposedly doesnt allow for the use of f0.95 lenses or IBIS :rolleyes:
Lack of IBIS would be a big ommision I think. 0.95 lenses? Meh ;)

I imagine, if you do a poll with these questions….you will get a No from lots of people on all these

Do you think a lack of IBIS is a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of flip screen is a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of Eye-AF is a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of a 3mil dots EVF a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of 693 focus points a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of 1/4000 shutter speed a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of no black out shutter a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of time lapse a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of 10 fps a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of built in camera charging a deal breaker? No.
Do you think lack of wifi and bluetooth a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a slightly larger body a deal breaker? No.
Do you think a lack of dual card slots a deal breaker? No.

Take away all those and you will end up with a really crap high end camera for 2018 release, but if the polls shows it's okay….

Which is why I think those polls is misleading and push companies backwards.
Err sorry to butt in on the Ray and Phil lovers quarrel , but most of the above functions are already available in quiet a lot of Panasonic and Olympus bodies albeit In M4/3 guise , I really don’t think that there then going to bring out a inferior equipped full frame body both have announcements due in the coming month or so .
Any one that has half a brain will surely realise that if changing to mirrorless full frame means buying new lenses to then surely it’s best to wait and see what ALL the players are bringing to the table , my money is on 8k video for starters

Any one that has half a brain will surely realise that if changing to mirrorless full frame means buying new lenses to then surely it’s best to wait and see what ALL the players are bringing to the table , my money is on 8k video for starters
Changing to mirrorless FF doesn’t mean buying new lenses, if you own Canon EF lenses, you can already use them on Sony, soon there’ll be a Canon and (based on the Sony situation) id guess pretty soon that’ll be Nikon and Panasonic too.

Who needs 8k video?

Who needs 8k video?

Who really needs 4k? Most of those crying for it spend most of the time with the camera pointed at their ugly mugs.

Where it does come in handy is for the video-photo modes, where you can extract stills from a 30 second burst. At present, some cameras have a 6K burst mode that you can pull 18mp stills from, [my G80 has a 4K burst mode but you only get 8mp stills, still nice to have the option] 8K will allow more res. It would be sweet for birds in flight, sports etc, as you're shooting at 30fps without and blackout or slow down.

Last edited:
Who really needs 4k? Most of those crying for it spend most of the time with the camera pointed at their ugly mugs.

Well think about it.... 8k @ 30 FPS and grabbing stills in a sequence..... That's a lot of FPS.

Changing to mirrorless FF doesn’t mean buying new lenses, if you own Canon EF lenses, you can already use them on Sony, soon there’ll be a Canon and (based on the Sony situation) id guess pretty soon that’ll be Nikon and Panasonic too.

Who needs 8k video?
some purists Phil will only want the proper fit lenses , and as for 8k someone will want it to show on the latest 8k t.v's in reality who needs 4k but its fitted to cameras , I have been trying to get my head round it all week easy enough to use getting it into a workable image is different though . keep up the good work ,fight the good fight etc etc . waiting in anticipation for rays next post :exit::exit: :hug: :hug:

Well think about it.... 8k @ 30 FPS and grabbing stills in a sequence..... That's a lot of FPS.
But stills from video shot for video viewing have compromised shutter speeds.the latest gen mirrorless cameras have fast enough photo capture without having to resort to video mode.

Where it does come in handy is for the video-photo modes, where you can extract stills from a 30 second burst. At present, some cameras have a 6K burst mode that you can pull 18mp stills from, [my G80 has a 4K burst mode but you only get 8mp stills, still nice to have the option] 8K will allow more res. It would be sweet for birds in flight, sports etc, as you're shooting at 30fps without and blackout or slow down.
refer to post above Keith LOL

Looks better than Nikon offering
IS COMMING!!!!! Sooner or later...

The latest rumors are interesting...
24-105mm kit lens - Nice but also Meh as it'll be practical but maybe not too exciting :D
35mm f1.8 - ok that's nice, and maybe very nice :D
50mm f1.2 - that's surprising! :D
28-70mm f2 - What? That is surprising! :D
I don't know of too many other f2 zooms, Sigma did a couple and I think maybe there was an Olympus but I could be wrong. Anyway, of the lens rumors this is the one that surprised me the most.
24-105mm f4 - Meh :D

Rumor site...

https://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/ho...mirrorless-50mm-f-1-2-28-70mm-f-2-0-terrific/

And it gets a mention on the Sony rumor site...

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/com...tember-5-has-50mm-f-1-2-28-70mm-f-2-0-lenses/

Looking at the Nikon Zed I think that it's quite an attractive camera to look at. I have a Sony A7 and at first I thought it looked almost home made but the looks have grown on me. Not that all this matters too much but I haven't been too impressed by the various Canon bodies on the rumor site but the actual camera may be prettier when we see it.

I'm quite happy with my A7 and lenses and I can't see myself buying either a Nikon or a Canon mirrorless camera so I'm just following developments out of interest and I'll be interested to see what Nikon and Canon do :D

Is anyone champing at the bit to get a Canon mirrorless?

Maybe a lot hangs on the mount and how legacy lenses will work?

We may not have to wait too long to find out :D I do think that the rumored lenses are very interesting though :D

PS.
I have Sony and Panasonic mirrorless cameras. In years gone I had a Nikon SLR for a decades and when going digital I had Canon 300D, 10D, 20D and 5D, the digital camera I've so far owned the longest was the 20D which I had for something over 7 years.

But stills from video shot for video viewing have compromised shutter speeds.the latest gen mirrorless cameras have fast enough photo capture without having to resort to video mode.

Or you can shoot video in stills mode and it'll still be 30fps @ whatever shutter speed.

Last edited:
This is an exciting time in the Mirrorless wars with Sony taking the lead many years. I own both a Canon EOS 7D and now 7Dii plus a Sony NEX5R. I have always been very please with my NEX5R as it produces some very good IQ. For me the lens line up and lack of EVF was the limiting factor, though on the plus side small form factor, light lens, non professional looking camera, good video capabilities.
If Canon can fit EF lens ( 54mm flange, nikon new Zen range is 55mm ) on to a Mirrorless camera body then this IMO will be the game changer. As how many of us have expensive canon glass which we can not afford to sell and then purchase new FF mirrorless native glass.
Canon have a great oppertunity to steal the show from Sony and stop the flow of canon users over to sony

As photographers, I think most on here are above any interest in the video side? an 8K mode, rather than straight up 8K video would be very useful.

I certainly don't have the power to process full 8K video footage! 4K is a struggle as is and I'm not using a slow PC, it's an i7 with 12GB RAM, and 4K chokes it up at times if I'm stringing a few clips together in Power director.

It's not just the fps thing, it's also a fact that when you shoot 4k and down to 1080p the footage is much sharper, same will apply to 8k on 4k viewing. Downres to the viewing device if it's lower res and the output is better, you can also crop into the video without losing quality to lower res... Like MP stills. So you can use a shorter FL and crop in.

Last edited:
One which supposedly doesnt allow for the use of f0.95 lenses or IBIS :rolleyes:

Honestly 0.95 lenses to me seem less of an issue than Sony's choice of lens mount holding back more conventional lens designs.

I don't buy that the E-mount was included with FF designs in mind.

Last edited:
Honestly 0.95 lenses to me seem less of an issue than Sony's choice of lens mount holding back more conventional lens designs.

Holding back to do what?

Nikon has a larger lens mount and still can’t do an auto focus 58/0.95. Canon made a 50/1.0 auto focus almost 20 years ago now on a mount 1mm smaller.

So, I’m not sure what magic you think having a mount like Nikon can do that the E-mount can’t.

Sony doesn't seem to have an issue producing FF lenses for the mount and neither do 3rd party, can you be more specific? From what I can tell some of the best lenses available across all manufacturers are E mount.

Last edited:

What conventional lens designs?
Have you seen the Sony FE 16-35mm f2.8 GM lens? It’s about the same weight / size as similar f4 versions yet its f2.8 and razor sharp edge to edge.
If the e-mount wasn’t designed with full-frame sensors in mind is pretty irrelevant as it appears it has still worked out for their FE lenses :D

Back