Canon FF mirrorless...

That bloke also drinks a ton of coffee LOL he is a hyper lad but some of his knowledge and videos are pretty basic and he rambles a lot on his videos. Something that could take 5mins to put his point across he somehow make it last 20mins like the EOS-R video.

i stopped watching his videos a while because of these reasons

That bloke also drinks a ton of coffee LOL he is a hyper lad but some of his knowledge and videos are pretty basic and he rambles a lot on his videos. Something that could take 5mins to put his point across he somehow make it last 20mins like the EOS-R video.

Gotta agree on that. There's a certain bunch of these photovlographers who all have similar styles. It's obviously worked for them as they have the highest viewership, but I can't be watching man-children whizzing about on electric skateboards and shouting at the camera like demented toddlers on skittles and cola. I don't see anything special about McKinnon, yet 2.5m seem to think he's worth a sub. Casey Neistat is much more irritating IMO, but 10M+ sub to him! But I would be willing to bet very little of that number are photographers. I've seen him surrounded by 'fans' and it was a bunch of teeny bopper girls.

Phil, if you haven't seen any blinkered attitudes then you haven't spent as much time on forums as I thought you had. As for spamming.... the Sony thread has had plenty of that. Other than that who exactly is spamming? If you think it's me then don't. I used Canon DSLR's for over 10 years, I started the thread and I'm hardly going to spam it.

I know your reasons for buying into Canon CSC despite the limitations of the bodies and native lens options (and BTW I wasn't thinking of you when I posted above, if that's what you're thinking) but anyone with only one lens or anyone coming in with no baggage at all should imo at least take an unbiased look at what's available from whoever no matter what the badge. That's my point but I'm not at all sure it always happens.
I wasn’t aiming at you, and I certainly didn’t think you were targeting me (for no other reason than that’s possibly the first time I’ve ever mentioned Panasonic cameras). :)

And I absolutely agree that a newbie should examine all the options. It’s a great time to be starting in photography, if I was starting now as a noob, I’d almost certainly go Fuji, if I was starting out as a wedding photographer, I’d be buying a couple of D750’s. But I have 6 canon bodies (7 if you count the EOS5) and 10 lenses, I can’t afford a couple of grand hit to change systems, but that in no way means others shouldn’t choose whatever they feel fits them better.

I don’t see the Canon M5 as particularly limited, there may be some headline grabbing things others do better, but the dual pixel af is better than many other csc’s, and whilst the native lenses aren’t aimed at ‘photographers’ the adaptor is a great workaround until we get more sorted (and it finally looks promising) I’ll have a serious think about what I sell to buy the 32mm.

The 6dR looks like a great camera, though not as good as the Sony, if I was in the market (I’m not) I’d seriously check out the Sony a7III+ adaptor against the Canon, and for a non Canon shooter, it’s almost a no-brainer.

that’s possibly the first time I’ve ever mentioned Panasonic cameras).

I have a feeling everyone will be talking about Panasonic in about 4 hours. It probably won't matter to me because I can't afford any of these new gadgets. I'm still intrigued by it all though. Thus far the Nikon is for whatever reason the least interesting to me. I just cancelled it off my list from the off because of the price. I wonder was it a terrible idea for them to go first?

Last edited:
Gotta agree on that. There's a certain bunch of these photovlographers who all have similar styles. It's obviously worked for them as they have the highest viewership, but I can't be watching man-children whizzing about on electric skateboards and shouting at the camera like demented toddlers on skittles and cola. I don't see anything special about McKinnon, yet 2.5m seem to think he's worth a sub. Casey Neistat is much more irritating IMO, but 10M+ sub to him! But I would be willing to bet very little of that number are photographers. I've seen him surrounded by 'fans' and it was a bunch of teeny bopper girls.
Yea exactly.

I like Kei far better then those lot. Those guys try too hard and really talk a lot of amature rubbish and i wonder how good they actually are as photographers.

Kei at least dives into some serious stuff at times and he doesnt waffle for 20mins talking about a camera.

if he has a 20min camera video review/preview he actually has footage of him using it, mingling with people, going to places etc etc instead of sitting on a desk talking nonsense about the camera.

Cant stand these lot

Peter McKinnon gets all that sub because of his polished style, he knows how to put together a film, he knows how to actually film video, same as Casey Neistat. These people are not your typical photographers, I am sure they take photos but from what I gather, their bread and butter is video.

Casey Vlogs, YouTube is his thing, he isn't trying to be a photographer.

Last edited:
I have a feeling everyone will be talking about Panasonic in about 4 hours. It probably won't matter to me because I can't afford any of these new gadgets. I'm still intrigued by it all though. Thus far the Nikon is for whatever reason the least interesting to me. I just cancelled it off my list from the off because of the price. I wonder was it a terrible idea for them to go first?

This Panasonic , Leica, Sigma thing is potentially very interesting but I'd really like to see Sigma making blank sheet mirrorless designs rather than bolting an adapter onto a DSLR lens and I do hope they do at some point.

I doubt very much I'll buy any new Panasonic FF as I have a Sony A7 and 6 native lenses but for anyone going for mirrorless with no legacy lenses this could be a very nice and attractive system, if they get it right.

Things like well performing bodies, market leading features and abilities and a pretty full lens line up?

Personally I'll look at anything regardless of what name is on the badge and whilst you may have good and genuine reasons there are some, many even, on the net who for whatever reason just take a dislike to the electronic companies such as Sony and Panasonic entering the photographic market and stick with Canikon regardless and I just don't understand that sort of brand blinkeredness or blanket statements like Sony doesn't interest me.

IMO you have to look at the market leader or at least the best couple / few options at your market and price point and if we're talking mirrorless FF systems then like it or not Sony are the clear market leaders with several bodies and a pretty full lens line up whilst Canikon are the new kids with in contrast fewer bodies, a dearth of lenses and some clear performance and feature deficits. The Sony A7x/A9 system should at least deserve a serious look.

I'm not really sure what your motivation is in posting this as none of them applies to me. I have a preference and a choice. I don't intend to list my genuine reasons for my preference in every post I make just to justify that to every person who posts. If that makes you unhappy I'm sorry. No more talk of this from me.

Last edited:
I wasn’t aiming at you, and I certainly didn’t think you were targeting me (for no other reason than that’s possibly the first time I’ve ever mentioned Panasonic cameras). :)

And I absolutely agree that a newbie should examine all the options. It’s a great time to be starting in photography, if I was starting now as a noob, I’d almost certainly go Fuji, if I was starting out as a wedding photographer, I’d be buying a couple of D750’s. But I have 6 canon bodies (7 if you count the EOS5) and 10 lenses, I can’t afford a couple of grand hit to change systems, but that in no way means others shouldn’t choose whatever they feel fits them better.

I don’t see the Canon M5 as particularly limited, there may be some headline grabbing things others do better, but the dual pixel af is better than many other csc’s, and whilst the native lenses aren’t aimed at ‘photographers’ the adaptor is a great workaround until we get more sorted (and it finally looks promising) I’ll have a serious think about what I sell to buy the 32mm.

The 6dR looks like a great camera, though not as good as the Sony, if I was in the market (I’m not) I’d seriously check out the Sony a7III+ adaptor against the Canon, and for a non Canon shooter, it’s almost a no-brainer.

Phil, I'm interested to know why you feel the "M" system is looking promising now. A lot go people are worried that it's on the way out. I have some reservations around my Fuji and X- Trans ( yawn yawn I know but I have them ) TBH I would consider the M5 but for the uncertainly I perceive around it's future. I'm not being disingenuous and genuinely interested in hearing the other side of the viewpoint.

I understand they will stay FF lenses but I thought the focal length change due to being further away from the sensor?

Peter McKinnon gets all that sub because of his polished style, he knows how to put together a film, he knows how to actually film video, same as Casey Neistat. These people are not your typical photographers, I am sure they take photos but from what I gather, their bread and butter is video.

Casey Vlogs, YouTube is his thing, he isn't trying to be a photographer.

Jake Paul also has 17m subs .... numbers do not = quality

With a adapter on?

The adapter is what makes up the space, so yes, it will be the same distance from the sensor.

Phil, I'm interested to know why you feel the "M" system is looking promising now. A lot go people are worried that it's on the way out. I have some reservations around my Fuji and X- Trans ( yawn yawn I know but I have them ) TBH I would consider the M5 but for the uncertainly I perceive around it's future. I'm not being disingenuous and genuinely interested in hearing the other side of the viewpoint.
Well apart from the 22mm, Canon have almost ignored the notion that a ‘photographer’ might want to use an M camera. But the release of the 32mm 1.4 has definitely drawn a line in the sand. If they follow this with a 56mm 1.4 we’ll be laughing. There’s also talk of a Tilt shift adaptor for EF lenses on an M body, which looks promising too.

Though for me personally, the 22mm and 85mm focal lengths are already a killer duo.

The M50 is also a great value package (if you ignore the complaints about the 4K video being ‘cropped’, the dual pixel AF system is fantastic until you need to shoot in really low light :( as a fun camera I find the M system very capable.

I loved using my Fuji, but the prices for the lenses I wanted was a big ask for what was supposed to be a ‘fun’ system. Whereas I only needed the M5 and 22mm to get me started. My next M purchase will be the 32mm or an IR converted M body.

Jake Paul also has 17m subs .... numbers do not = quality

Where did I mention the word QUALITY? Or did you pluck that out from thin air?

I said they are videographer and not photographers, they make content on Youtube, and to be honest, their content are actually useful (you might disagree but Peter McKinnon does upload some good tips videos), they are not harming puppies, they are not offending dead bodies, they are not offending an entire nation. Casey actually does a lot of Charity work. If you dislike him, but there is a difference between Logan Paul and that **** to Casey Neistat.

People

Last edited:
Where did I mention the word QUALITY?

I said they are videographer and not photographers, they make content on Youtube, and to be honest, their content are actually useful (you might disagree but Peter McKinnon does pose some good tips videos), they are not harming puppies, they are not offending dead bodies, they are not offending an entire nation. Casey actually does a lot of Charity work. If you dislike him, but there is a difference between Logan Paul and that **** to Casey Neistat.

Where did I say you did? My post is my own stand alone statement, I don't care if you want to have sex with them.

Right here.

Where did I mention the word QUALITY? Or did you pluck that out from thin air?

Where does it say I said YOU said it? I know you love these round and round stupid clown arguments Ray, but you should know better by now. I'm giving my opinion whether you like it or it makes you stomp your fat fingers across the keyboard in angst :D I don't care about these muppets, you idolise all you want, that's fine .. I just gave my opinion on them, naff all to do with you tbh. You're like a little over excited fanboy there now

Last edited:

I don't subscribe to the view that just because Canon launches a new camera it suddenly means everything else that isn't directly compatible apparently has the skids under it.

The M system is a stand-alone range not aimed primarily at photo forum addicts. There are other people who buy cameras, and actually there are a lot more of them than us lot ;) They want small and light where mirrorless has advantages but it also means relatively unambitious lenses with modest max apertures to keep the size down. M lenses are perfectly suited to that, but if you want something more exotic, the EF adapter opens the door to everything else.

I also don't think it's a good idea to have lenses designed for one system/purpose used across a range of different format cameras. There are historical reasons why this is common today following the transition from film to digital, but it was always a bit of a bodge and either means you're not making full use of the system's potential, or paying extra for something you can't use.

The only thing that'll stop Canon supporting the M-series is if it stops selling and there's no sign of that yet, rather the opposite, but who knows where the relentless march of the smartphone will end. Full-frame is as far from that threat as reasonably possible so it's no surprise camera manufacturers are pushing it.

I imagine Canon will announce the M5 or M50 mkII soon? All they need to add is decent 4K with dual af and it'll sell like hot cakes.

What are you trying to say jonney :p

Where does it say I said YOU said it? I know you love these round and round stupid clown arguments Ray, but you should know better by now. I'm giving my opinion whether you like it or it makes you stomp your fat fingers across the keyboard in angst :D I don't care about these muppets, you idolise all you want, that's fine .. I just gave my opinion on them, naff all to do with you tbh. You're like a little over excited fanboy there now

You are free to like who and what, but you seems to dislike some Youtube channel purely base on the person presenting and their presenting style and call them this and that. Totally free to do that but I find that be judgmental and shallow.

I am free to do that too, that's my opinion.

Whereas others look into Peter McKinnon's actually content, that's how I judge a YouTube channel, it's content.

You are free to like who and what, but you seems to dislike some Youtube channel purely base on the person presenting and their presenting style and call them this and that. Totally free to do that but I find that be judgmental and shallow.

I am free to do that too, that's my opinion.

Whereas others look into Peter McKinnon's actually content, that's how I judge a YouTube channel, it's content.

Why is it just me who's judgemental and shallow? Lol, others said they don't like him too, but soon as I did your knickers just automatically twisted up :ROFLMAO: I kind of love that what I say bothers you so much that you're defending YouTubers

So you're shallow and judgemental for not liking what Jake Paul does? The guys just trying to make a living G, cut him some slack :LOL:

Why is it just me who's judgemental and shallow? Lol, others said they don't like him too, but soon as I did your knickers just automatically twisted up :ROFLMAO: I kind of love that what I say bothers you so much that you're defending YouTubers

So you're shallow and judgemental for not liking what Jake Paul does? The guys just trying to make a living G, cut him some slack :LOL:

I didn't say I find YOU to be shallow and judgemental, I said I find THAT to be judgmental and shallow, THAT as in those who judge channels by the presenting style. If that's you then you are one of those.

As for Logan Paul, I dislike him because of his CONTENT.

I didn't say I find YOU to be shallow and judgemental, I said I find THAT to be judgmental and shallow, THAT as in those who judge channels by the presenting style. If that's you then you are one of those.

As for Logan Paul, I dislike him because of his CONTENT.

I'm sure his content is, as you say, QUALITY to someone :p

No I meant Kilkenny,my ex wife’s brother in law is from Kilkenny

It's right down in the 'sunny south East' :) Beautiful county is Kilkenny.

images

I'm actually from Carlow, the tiny county shaped like a little Africa beside it :D And atm, living 3 counties above it

Last edited:
I honesty wonder if the world's in the grip of some madness right now. He's probably being lined up as a candidate for the next US president.

Back