Canon G15 Owners Thread

Name
Richard
Edit My Images
No
Hi,

Having just bought one wondered if Anybody else has one and would care to add their thoughts.

Regards.

No you're not I just haven't had time to post. My thoughts on my little pocket rocket........

The G15 is an all rounder for everything from macro (1cm close focussing), f1.8 lens (2.8 at tele end), Jpeg and Raw, optical viewfinder (most reviews say its very limited but I will take limited over none any day) for the bright days when the screen on the back is as much use as a chocolate ashtray (almost all are, lets be honest), and really quite impressive IQ for the sensor size and very pocketable . Big bonus with it is that all your Canon hotshoe accessories will work fully. This opens up these little cameras to all kinds of possibilities with dedicated TTL and Off camera flash etc. Don't miss the swivelly screen thingy from the G12 at all tbh, I had one on my 60d and I think I used it twice.
I sold my G7 and got a G15 last December and I have to tell you I am very impressed, loving it, loving it, loving it.

No G15 but nearly did buy one.

Long story but I researched (very thoroughly) this type of camera including LX7 (something about it that I didn't quite like but can't remember), RX100 (way over budget), XZ-2 (was just out so price hadn't come down to a realistic point). I used to own a Fuji X10 which had/has a superb owners thread on TP but for me had a lot of irritating aspects (the camera not the thread :LOL:. )

So I ended up buying the Nikon P7700 even though I felt the VF on a G15 would have suited me better. I suspect my P7700 still takes 'as good a shot' as the G15 but the G15 had dropped it's articulating LCD which for me was a must. My P7700 has the articulating screen which suits me taking the countless shots of flowers as I am a wheelchair user but NO VF which is an absolute b*gger on sunny days. OK I can fiddle with the angle of the screen to reduce the sun's effect but a right faff when all I want to do is press the button.

So I have not fallen in love with my camera but since joining this forum doubt I would with any camera :eek: as one can get too picky.

It would be good to see shots from the G15 as they do in the X10 thread to show me what I may be missing (y)

If your using any of the above cameras in your post including your P7700 i dont suspect you will be missing anything. All the cameras at this price point are going to produce excellent images regardless and any differences would be at pixel level IMO. Some people may prefer shots SOOC from one model over another or prefer the colour balance etc but fir overall IQ i think they are all up to the job.
I think at this level the deciding factor, as you pointed out, would be handling / functions / features. I have never bought a camera over another based on almost imperceptible differences in IQ at ridiculously zoomed in pixel level from similar sized sensors. I mean how big would you have to print out to notice ?
All i know is i love the images from my G15 which are a substantial step up from my old G7 and it produced some lovely shots in its day.

Quote.
(think at this level the deciding factor, as you pointed out, would be handling / functions / features. I have never bought a camera over another based on almost imperceptible differences in IQ at ridiculously zoomed in pixel level from similar sized sensors. I mean how big would you have to print out to notice ?)

I agree, I nearly bought the Fuji X20, then after handling them both the Canon was the Winner. Knowing I could add the Tele converter to the camera for Extra reach, was an Extra incentive.

Also I have the Fuji X100 LBE to which I added the Wide conversion lens, so hopefully next week will add the Tele to the Canon. Should be perfect Travel duo for when I go to Italy in August.

Regards.

Last edited:
If your using any of the above cameras in your post including your P7700 i dont suspect you will be missing anything. All the cameras at this price point are going to produce excellent images regardless and any differences would be at pixel level IMO. Some people may prefer shots SOOC from one model over another or prefer the colour balance etc but fir overall IQ i think they are all up to the job.
I think at this level the deciding factor, as you pointed out, would be handling / functions / features. I have never bought a camera over another based on almost imperceptible differences in IQ at ridiculously zoomed in pixel level from similar sized sensors. I mean how big would you have to print out to notice ?
All i know is i love the images from my G15 which are a substantial step up from my old G7 and it produced some lovely shots in its day.

When I was in my working stage of my life I was very decisive - quickly made a decision & stuck to it & if it proved wrong just didn't think about it & kept moving forward. BUT NOW the past year of so has seen me become the opposite & mainly dithering about what camera & which has seem me own, or borrowing, from a long list Nikon D3100, Panasonic G3, Panasonic G2, Fuji X10, Canon S95, Canon 550D, etc, etc When my wife, for the first time in her life, said she would like a little camera I thought here we go again. We bought a Panasonic TZ30 but I am very underwhelmed by it.

On the X10 thread someone posted a picture of a home made 'add on' to the LCD so it could be viewed from above. A mirror, elastic band & goodness knows what else.

If the G15 had a VF, no matter how poor, that would of swung it for me as I was 49.99% for the G15 & 50.01% for the P7700 & there are days where I have doubts. I was even looking into the Canon G1x which sees to be a G15 but bigger, with a movable LCD & bigger sensor but but but !!!!!!!!

Bl**dy cameras :clap:

Been through all of that so I know we're you coming from.

Regards.

Yep it looks like that Swivel screen is a bigger deciding factor than i first thought. The reason i was delighted it 'DIDN'T' have one was that i made it so much slimmer and much more pocketable than say the G12. "One mans trash is another mans treasure" etc.

Also as a Canon SLR user the dedicated shoe for my speedlights etc just made complete sense.

@Daydreamer.. Like you i looked at the G1X as well and from what i have read the images are superb, its a huge sensor for a compact but there lay the problem for me, it just needed to be way too bulky a body to house all that loveliness. That and the poor macro just put me off, if i didnt use SLRs then the G1X is great but my criteria for a pocket camera is, well just that ! It has to fit my pocket.

@Canonbabie... Yes the lens accessorie adaptor is a nice touch as well on the Canon G series. The ability to fit filters, lens converters etc just makes the G series too versatile to ignore and its something the reviews always seem to skim over.

This thread is very quiet can't we make it like the Fuji X10 thread with more action & get a few pictures up ---- yes pictures :clap: ---- please :shrug:

I now have a real interest as I've just ordered a G15 (for my wife but I may just have a go with it :D ) as well as my Nikon P7700 so will make more contributions.

Meanwhile I wonder if you folks can suggest a bag. Smallest possible just for camera, spare battery & nothing else :help:

This thread is very quiet can't we make it like the Fuji X10 thread with more action & get a few pictures up ---- yes pictures :clap: ---- please :shrug:

I now have a real interest as I've just ordered a G15 (for my wife but I may just have a go with it :D ) as well as my Nikon P7700 so will make more contributions.

Meanwhile I wonder if you folks can suggest a bag. Smallest possible just for camera, spare battery & nothing else :help:

Best of luck with that, I've settled for the Canon leather case and if pushed can carry a spare Canon battery with the Cap on and Spare card in Case, in my pocket.

Regards.

Best of luck with that, I've settled for the Canon leather case and if pushed can carry a spare Canon battery with the Cap on and Spare card in Case, in my pocket.

Regards.

My P7700 is in a 'boring' Lowepro bag & feel the G15 may end up in another 'boring' Lowepro bag :clap:

Okay here is a couple of Jpegs S.O.O.C. and at widest aperture (F2.8) at full zoom and these would get better stopped down :eek: Full size can be downloaded from Photobucket by clicking on them. Camera settings all at default.

Nowhere to put a battery but these look very retro and very cool.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Light-brown-Dark-brown-Black-Leather-Camera-Case-Bag-For-Canon-Powershot-G15-/261135584032?pt=UK_Camera_Cases_Bags_Covers&hash=item3ccce4cb20

I had one of these for my G7 (it's too big for the G15 :crying: ) and I might just order this one for the G15 even though it is currently residing in a Crumpler Pretty Boy 380 XS which has room in the bottom for a spare battery and a pouch in front under the front flap for a mobile phone, so probably bulkier than you want.

One of my Car.

Taken at F1.8

MX5.jpg

Regards.

Last edited:
Thanks for the suggestions for a bag. I have a spare Lowepro (model number something or other) that looks a bit small but will try when the camera arrives.

Also great to see photographs nice dog & nice car (y)

Thanks for the suggestions for a bag. I have a spare Lowepro (model number something or other) that looks a bit small but will try when the camera arrives.

Also great to see photographs nice dog & nice car (y)

Have to Agree its a nice looking doggy.

Regards.

Hi,

Ordered the Tele conversion Lens Today, managed to find a photo on the Net with it on the Camera.

image39.jpg

Regards.

Last edited:
Out for a meal last night, took the camera as I knew Deer were in the grounds so I thought I would post this up.

Not bad considering it was 9.00pm.

TPDeerb.jpg

Last edited:
Good for 9.00 p.m. (y)

Our G15 came two days ago but I've been totally 'knacked' by this hot weather so not really done anything with it apart from unpack, charge battery, turn it on & a few of the usual 'around the house' shots & otherwise a quick look.

One thing slightly worrying me is the image, on the LCD, does look a little on the yellow (warm) side so tried the master reset but still a bit yellow. Looked at my Nikon P7700 & it may be that throwing me thats default setting seems a little on the blue (cool) side. I don't think there is any 'in-depth' colour tweaking for the screen on the G15 LCD but wonder if other owners have noticed this or is it just me :thinking:

I'm following this thread with interest. When I got my Canon 5D III, I kept my 550D thinking that I would use it for those days when I might or might not take pics.

Having been shown the Fuji X20 and the Canon G15 in the camera shop recently, I'm now thinking, I might be better replacing the 550D with one of these.

Those pics of the dog and the car certainly look impressive.

BeBop like you I have been down the 'xD as a main body and a xxxD for when I want to travel light' scenario and it never really worked out as it still involves carrying lenses or one do it all lens. Since buying into the G series ( the G15 replaced an old but still good G7) I have realised that this is the way to go for day to day shooting and with the IQ from the G15 its never been easier. All the exposure control of an SLR but in your pocket, perfect.

Yes I can see the attraction. I like cycling too and today I was thinking I might sometimes take it with me. I have a Canon point and shoot at the moment, but the image quality is disappointing. I think my standards have changed as I've got more into photography :-/

Same situation here, when i go out on the bike so does the G15. You want one of these. (y)

http://www.crumpler.eu/index.cfm?seite=for-bikes&sprache=EN&productID=5004

Thanks Gary. That looks like a good buy whether or not I get a G15! :)

I'm still tossing up between this and the Fuji X20. There seems to be a criticism on battery life with the X20, and I do have a Canon Flash and software already installed, so I think the G15 looks the better way to go - thought the X20 seems a tad lighter.

Anymore sample pics from you lucky people? How is the teleconverter working out?

Is there anything about it that you're not so enamoured with?

Here's one I cocked up, lol. My nephew wanted a passport photo so a quick snap against a plain wall. shot at f2.8 at the mid focal range. Problem is I forgot to take it off of iso2000 from my previous nights shooting. Still not bad for wide open at 2000iso even if it was a cock up. :bang:

The final one I used was iso100 and centred (oops) (y)

IMG_1531.jpg

Hi,

Had a Try with the Teleconverter today at Whitworth Hall, Images shot at Max Zoom (196mm).

Light was a Bit Harsh for the Heron.

The Converter comes with a Rubber hood and a Pouch.

TPIMG_1105b.jpg

TPIMG_1130b.jpg

Regards.

Last edited:
Thank you both - they are impressive.
Gary
I tried to do passport photos with my DSLR but had trouble with my printer getting the colours right.

Richard
The detail you've managed with the teleconverter is good too, especially since the light does look harsh.

I've just been down to my local shop and they didn't have the G15 in stock :( They did have the x20. It looked big actually and they were busy so I didn't hang around. The Fuji x20 is £70 more expensive, has been criticised for poor battery life, and I can't use my Canon flash or software, so the G15 it will be.

I've just been down to my local shop and they didn't have the G15 in stock :( They did have the x20. It looked big actually and they were busy so I didn't hang around. The Fuji x20 is £70 more expensive, has been criticised for poor battery life, and I can't use my Canon flash or software, so the G15 it will be.

WOOHOO ! :clap:

I bought a G15 a week ago. I have used SLR's for over 20 years. So far I like this camera, its just getting used to handling. This could never replace my SLR
gear but its a quality little camera. But there is one issue I have thats troubling
me. It seems to have a problem with highlight clipping. I've tried all sorts of settings. Even the recovery slider in Camera Raw(I use Photoshop CS3) does not seem to work. Has any other G15 owner had this problem.

I'm sure I read in a review somewhere that it mentioned it. It half dismissed it though saying something like,'like most small sensor cameras it suffers from highlight clipping but shooting in raw will help'.

I will have another look tonight to see if I can find the review. I am still on the brink of buying. Should I hold back?

One thing slightly worrying me is the image, on the LCD, does look a little on the yellow (warm) side so tried the master reset but still a bit yellow. Looked at my Nikon P7700 & it may be that throwing me thats default setting seems a little on the blue (cool) side. I don't think there is any 'in-depth' colour tweaking for the screen on the G15 LCD but wonder if other owners have noticed this or is it just me :thinking:

Anyone now able to help with this yet :shrug:

:help: :help: :help: :help: :help:

Back