Canon lens dilemma

Name
James
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi,

Long time lurker and finally a newbie to the site so hello from here.

As a keen aviation shooter, I’m considering picking up a used Mk ii Canon 100-400mm lens to help me reduce the quantity of lenses that I have acquired over the years.

I own the 70-200 2.8L, 70-300L and 400mm prime lenses.

My thinking is keep the 70-200 and sell/part ex the other 2 to offset the cost.

This will reduce my kit by one lens and I may finally be happy with what I’m left with. When I bought the 400mm, I did so to save getting the mk1 100-400mm. As I had 70-300 covered already.

I have used the mk1 and am also considering picking up a used one, but for a little bit more investment, I can get the newer version.

stick with what I have or go for it?

That’s sort of what I’m thinking. Ihave a 24-105, so I’ll be covered from 24-400mm with only 2 lenses.

I think that the 70-200mm is worth keeping though. Can’t bring myself to say goodbye to it lol.

Which body are you using, will it benefit from using a 100/400 mk 2 over a mk 1?

I have the mark 1 6D

The mk 1 100-400 is a very capable lens (I initially bought mine over choosing between that and the two you own, the 70-300L and the 400L) and a secondhand one is a lot cheaper over the mk2 if you were looking to save any cash.
I would suspect AF speed re body would only be a major issue if you were shooting military aircraft at airshows otherwise most commercial aircraft shots can be captured without the need for fast AF.

Thanks Peter. I do attend as many air shows as I can get to (on a normal year) and seem to manage with my current set up.
The appeal of saving a few ££’s is there, but the fact that I can pick a Mk2 up for just over £1100, makes it very tempting. I reckon that I could recoup a large chunk of that by selling the 70-300 & 400..?

Thanks Peter. I do attend as many air shows as I can get to (on a normal year) and seem to manage with my current set up.
The appeal of saving a few ££’s is there, but the fact that I can pick a Mk2 up for just over £1100, makes it very tempting. I reckon that I could recoup a large chunk of that by selling the 70-300 & 400..?
Just to throw another thought for you is that you could get a brand new 100-400 mk2 at E-infinity UK for £1239 with a 12 month warranty.
https://www.e-infin.com/uk/item/2416/canon_ef_100-400mm_f/4.5-5.6l_is_ii_usm_lens

FWIW

When I had Canon my kit had this lens line up 24-105mm mk1 and the 100-400mm ~ of the 100-400 I had the mk1 and traded it in for the mk2. IMO the mk2 was that bit sharper and faster focusing than the mk1. But it took a while to get used to the rotation zoom after a good while of using the 'push/pull' of the mk1

Therefore, if you can afford the mk2.................go for it ;)

Have you thought about just adding the 2x extender III, that way you may get away with just part exing the 70-300

Pretty sure that I read that the extenders don’t work with the 6D

Pretty sure that I read that the extenders don’t work with the 6D
Absolutely no reason a canon extender won't work with a 6D, so long as the lens it is fitted on has an aperture wider than f8 with it fitted, ie an f4 lens with 2x will struggle, an f2.8 lens like your 70-200mm will be fine. You still end up with a 140-400mm f5.6

By most accounts the Mk 2 is noticeably better than the Mk 1, which I seem to recall was a bit of an 'internal dust magnet' too, probably due to the trombone style zoom action? Of the two, I'd go for the Mk 2 every time. So if you can genuinely afford it (bearing in mind the economy will probably be in recession for a good while because of Corona Virus) then go for it, or you'll probably get than nagging feeling that you wish you'd gone for the better option!

I really couldn't justify spending £1200+ on a 100-400 zoom for the amount I'd actually use it, so went for a mint, used, Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary instead rather than a used Canon 100-400 Mk1. Mainly as lightning fast AF wasn't a must for the type of shots I take. However, if money were no object I'd have gone for the Canon Mk2 as it's reputed to be a really good lens.

Last edited:
Absolutely no reason a canon extender won't work with a 6D, so long as the lens it is fitted on has an aperture wider than f8 with it fitted, ie an f4 lens with 2x will struggle, an f2.8 lens like your 70-200mm will be fine. You still end up with a 140-400mm f5.6
I thought that the general consensus was that the 1.4x is less evasive as the 2x. I’ll have to take my camera and lens to a camera ship to put it to the rest I guess when all of this is over

By most accounts the Mk 2 is noticeably better than the Mk 1, which I seem to recall was a bit of an 'internal dust magnet' too, probably due to the trombone style zoom action? Of the two, I'd go for the Mk 2 every time. So if you can genuinely afford it (bearing in mind the economy will probably be in recession for a good while because of Corona Virus) then go for it, or you'll probably get than nagging feeling that you wish you'd gone for the better option!

I really couldn't justify spending £1200+ on a 100-400 zoom for the amount I'd actually use it, so went for a mint, used, Sigma 100-400 f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM Contemporary instead rather than a used Canon 100-400 Mk1. Mainly as lightning fast AF wasn't a must for the type of shots I take. However, if money were no object I'd have gone for the Canon Mk2 in a shot as it's reputed to be a really good lens.
I did see the Sigma. I had one of the Bigma’s a few years ago which weighed a ton so I sold it and got the 400mm prime

I did see the Sigma. I had one of the Bigma’s a few years ago which weighed a ton so I sold it and got the 400mm prime

The Sigma 100-400 is lighter than the Canon and a little smaller too. However, the used one I got was front focussing when it arrived and needed to be calibrated with the Sigma dock, which took me a while to do! I got there in the end but it did put me off a bit.

It might have been different if I'd bought new, as you never know what the previous owner has done to it (although it was in mint condition with full packaging, etc.). I updated the firmware and it seems to focus pretty fast and locks on most of the time - a lot of reviews of this lens seem to be before a firmware update was issued, which apparently improved the AF and the stabilisation (which isn't as smooth through the viewfinder as a Canon IS lens, and probably isn't as good for as many stops of IS as the Canon Mk2). However, I've not tested this lens on moving objects yet, and can't compare it against a Canon 100-400 Mk2 in terms of image quality and AF speed.

I use a Mk1 6D too, and these are a couple of hand-held JPEG test shots from it using the Sigma if you're interested. It certainly makes you think when it's about a third of the normal UK selling price of the Canon lens! Remember it's about half a stop slower though, and do make sure the AF is up to the job for what you want before you even consider it! Hope this is useful. (Click on the images below to view on Flickr at full size).

Last edited:
I thought that the general consensus was that the 1.4x is less evasive as the 2x. I’ll have to take my camera and lens to a camera ship to put it to the rest I guess when all of this is over
I did this 70-200/2.8 and tried it in the shop with a 1.4x II & III and a 2x II & III - on a quick test using a chimney pot & TV aerial as subjects I found it really hard to tell the difference between the II & III in both cases - and impossible to tell the 1.4s from the 1.4 Kenko I already own. Left with the 2x II (which was about half the price of the 2x III)

Your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
Should add that there is at least one review that claims the combo of 2x & 70-200/2.8 is sharper than the 100-400. Not sure I go that far but the number of times I personally need 400, I couldn't justify the £

I have neighbors that have both 6D and 70-200mm, I am sure they would run a few test shots off for me, granted I only have the mk II extender

I have the same 400mm prime as you , I love that lens had it a few years now and still love it . I purchased the 1-400 mk ll few months back , and I love that too , it focuses really well and I think it likely has the edge over my beloved 400 prime in every way . It also works a dream with the 1.4 converter on my 5Dmklll and 7Dmkll if the light is good enough . I would recommend this lens in a heart beat , one of Canons best .

I have neighbors that have both 6D and 70-200mm, I am sure they would run a few test shots off for me, granted I only have the mk II extender
My 70-200 Is the mark 1. I might get a 2x for when I can get a clear shot of the moon. If the AF works then it could well be a result

I have the same 400mm prime as you , I love that lens had it a few years now and still love it . I purchased the 1-400 mk ll few months back , and I love that too , it focuses really well and I think it likely has the edge over my beloved 400 prime in every way . It also works a dream with the 1.4 converter on my 5Dmklll and 7Dmkll if the light is good enough . I would recommend this lens in a heart beat , one of Canons best .

Agree with every word of this - beg steal or borrow the money for a 100-400mk2 and if you can afford it the 1.4mk3 extender awesome kit.

David

MBP have a used 100-400 ii and I can also get a 1.4x for a little over £1200. Absolute steal I say at that price! I really want to get the funds from selling my 70-300L & 400mm which I reckon could fetch bereeen £8-900 on eBay but I’m holding out for one of their £1 max fee offers.

MBP have a used 100-400 ii and I can also get a 1.4x for a little over £1200. Absolute steal I say at that price! I really want to get the funds from selling my 70-300L & 400mm which I reckon could fetch bereeen £8-900 on eBay but I’m holding out for one of their £1 max fee offers.

You could try the classifieds here , what`s to lose ?

I haven't read all of this thread yet, but just to point out that not all extenders are compatible with all lenses and it is possible to damage the rear element. The 70-300L lens is not compatible with the Canon 1.4 extender.

I had a similar lens line up @Jamesjoc. I sold my 400 f/5.6 and purchased the 100-400 II. It made a massive difference for me. I preferred having the zoom and I think maybe my hands are not all that steady and I need the stabilisation. I even managed a floodlit football match with it once when I accidentally packed it instead of my 70-200 f/2.8. It's easy to confuse the two lenses.... once took my 70-200 on a holiday where I was photographing windsurfing instead too - but luckily had also packed the extender.

I had the 70-300L and was disappointed it wouldn't take the Canon extender, though I believe it will take a Kenko one. On WEX if you click on an extender, you can usually then click on a compatibility chart.

The 1.4 extender does work on the 70-200 2.8 lens and the 100-400 II.

Last edited:
I haven't read all of this thread yet, but just to point out that not all extenders are compatible with all lenses and it is possible to damage the rear element. The 70-300L lens is not compatible with the Canon 1.4 extender.

I had a similar lens line up @Jamesjoc. I sold my 400 f/5.6 and purchased the 100-400 II. It made a massive difference for me. I preferred having the zoom and I think maybe my hands are not all that steady and I need the stabilisation. I even managed a floodlit football match with it once when I accidentally packed it instead of my 70-200 f/2.8. It's easy to confuse the two lenses.... once took my 70-200 on a holiday where I was photographing windsurfing instead too - but luckily had also packed the extender.

I had the 70-300L and was disappointed it wouldn't take the Canon extender, though I believe it will take a Kenko one. On WEX if you click on an extender, you can usually then click on a compatibility chart.

The 1.4 extender does work on the 70-200 2.8 lens and the 100-400 II.
Thanks,
I’ll be selling the 70-300L and also the 400 to absorb the cost of the 100-400 ii. I’m in the same boat as you re the steady hands so the IS will be needed lol

I bit the bullet and bought a used one. Hopefully, it’ll be with me in a day or 2

Well after biting the bullet on a used lens from LCE, the lens arrived just after lunch. Only had time for a couple of test snaps, but already impressed!!

the condition was described as ‘good’ and at £999 - with the option of returning it if I wasn’t satisfied, I was nervous opening the box. The actual lens box isn’t in the greatest of condition which I would regard as ‘good’. Once I opened it up and removed the pouch (in excellent condition with the strap untouched), I then saw the lens. If that is there idea of good, Christ knows what their opinion of mint is.!.!.! Other than the inevitable slight bit of wear on the tripod collar base and a bit of fuzz in the hood, the lens itself is immaculate..!
So happy to have gone with the advice on here and my gut instinct.

Just need to sell my other lenses now haha!!

I also ordered a 1.4 ii extender and can confirm that it did not auto focus with the 100-400 ii. It did auto focus with the 70-200 f2.8.

Weight wise, there's nothing really in it (to my arms) and the 100-400 ii is so much shorter fully extended at 400 mm compared to my old Sigma.

I might still order a used 2x ii to use it for when I'm trying to shoot the moon - manual focus of course...

Really can't wait to take it beyond my garden :LOL:

I also ordered a 1.4 ii extender and can confirm that it did not auto focus with the 100-400 ii. It did auto focus with the 70-200 f2.8.

Weight wise, there's nothing really in it (to my arms) and the 100-400 ii is so much shorter fully extended at 400 mm compared to my old Sigma.

I might still order a used 2x ii to use it for when I'm trying to shoot the moon - manual focus of course...

Get a 1.4 iii extender - it will autofocus on the 100-400 mkii and the quality is night and day better than a version ii extender - the mkiii extender and 100-400 mkii are awesome individually and together - I've got both for when I can't/don't want to carry around my 400 f2.8

Will the 6D Mk1 AF at f8? If not then the extender isn't going to work on the 100/400 regardless of version of lens or extender.
Just checked via Google 6D mk 1 doesn't AF at effective F8 so either return the extender, use on a different lens (faster one than the 100/400) or manually focus.

Last edited:
Will the 6D Mk1 AF at f8? If not then the extender isn't going to work on the 100/400 regardless of version of lens or extender.
Just checked via Google 6D mk 1 doesn't AF at effective F8 so either return the extender, use on a different lens (faster one than the 100/400) or manually focus.
Ah good point - I hadn't thought about the 6d not auto focussing at effective f8

Back