Canon Pixma Pro 100s printing magenta

Name
Lyle
Edit My Images
No
I am about to lose it...please help.

I have a Canon Pixma Pro 100 and no matter what I do it has a magenta orange tint to my images, they don't look like they do on screen. I'm using the following:
  • Macbook Pro
  • Lightroom CC
  • Canon Pixma Pro 100 (connected via USB)
I've done the following:
  • Callibrated the screen using a Spyder Display Callibration tool
  • Have all the ICC profiles loaded correctly
  • Proofed the image before printing (all looks good)

This is what I get:

IMG_3678_1.jpg

I'm getting to the end of my tether and it's costing me a fortune in paper and ink.

Any ideas at all before it all goes out the window??

A few thoughts ... make sure LR is handling colour management and that the correct ink & paper profile is selected in LR (turn off colour management on the print driver). Have you run a test print/nozzle check? If using 3rd party inks, make sure you use their profile for that ink.

How can the image look different to the proof? Or do you mean 'soft proof'?

A few thoughts ... make sure LR is handling colour management and that the correct ink & paper profile is selected in LR (turn off colour management on the print driver). Have you run a test print/nozzle check? If using 3rd party inks, make sure you use their profile for that ink.
Thanks.

• All genuine cartridges.
  • All print nozzles cleaned
  • All colour management off on print driver - I believe Lightroom does this unless I'm missing something
Screen%20Shot%202017-04-20%20at%2018.37.37.png

LR will not switch the colour management off on the print driver, you will have to do it. Also worth checking that the Media Type selected is appropriate fro the paper in use.

Thanks.

• All genuine cartridges.
  • All print nozzles cleaned
  • All colour management off on print driver - I believe Lightroom does this unless I'm missing something
Screen%20Shot%202017-04-20%20at%2018.37.37.png
No lightroom doesn't do it for you in my experience you have to make sure the printer isn't doing double bubble management...upload_2017-4-20_20-3-19.png

upload_2017-4-20_20-4-8.png
upload_2017-4-20_20-5-17.png
upload_2017-4-20_20-5-41.png all checkboxes should be empty

Last edited:
The one weak spot I can see is that if you are using the paper manufacturer's generic profile then see if they can produce a profile for your own printer. Permajet for instance do this and I found a difference on some of their papers. Incidentally I use a Pro 100.

The one weak spot I can see is that if you are using the paper manufacturer's generic profile then see if they can produce a profile for your own printer. Permajet for instance do this and I found a difference on some of their papers. Incidentally I use a Pro 100.

Thanks. The paper is canon semi gloss and that ICC profile is for that paper.

OK but was the the profile produced using a test print from your individual printer? If not then you are using a generic profile. I don't know if Canon produce custom profiles but it be worth checking.

Have you tried printing direct from the Canon software too? Does that do the same? I'm still waiting on my 100S to arrive but I read some reviews that suggested printing via the OEM software was more consistent re Canon's own paper profiles.

Have you tried printing direct from the Canon software too? Does that do the same? I'm still waiting on my 100S to arrive but I read some reviews that suggested printing via the OEM software was more consistent re Canon's own paper profiles.

Thanks for the comment. I did try that yesterday and it's still the same. I'm now starting to think there isn't anything that can be done as I've tried pretty much everything. I sent it to a mate and the print was the same.

Mmm, curious. Do you mean your friend also has a 100 and got the same result?

My next step would be to have someone make you a custom printer profile, there are various sources online [maybe a member on here could build one for you?]. I had a couple made up for my HP inkjet with favourable results.

Have you tried a different paper?

Mmm, curious. Do you mean your friend also has a 100 and got the same result?

My next step would be to have someone make you a custom printer profile, there are various sources online [maybe a member on here could build one for you?]. I had a couple made up for my HP inkjet with favourable results.

Yes my friend has a 100 and a Mac and go the same result. Could a profile reduce the magenta cast?

Yes many types

Strange... If you're getting the same problem on many different types of paper with different ICC profiles, then I'd say it's more likely to be an ink problem. But if your friend is having the problem... :thinking:
If you want to PM me a link to a high rez download I can have a stab at it - more out of curiosity than anything else. I have an Epson printer so I don't suppose it'll prove much, but it might rule out problems with the image.

Yes my friend has a 100 and a Mac and go the same result. Could a profile reduce the magenta cast?
It would certainly be the next thing on my list to check, although it seems odd that you get the same result on other paper types.

As Ian suggested, it might be worth letting us have the file to see if it's an image/display issue instead.

I agree, I have just no idea where...
I can't help re the cast - I'm reading this post to educate myself... but I think on a Mac you will find these settings in Lightroom on the bottom left hand side of the print module under 'Print Settings'. You can then select from the drop down options - Colour Options will give you the screen with the coloured pencils for example. (Mine defaults to showing 'Layout' on the drop down - click on this and you get the other options including colour matching)

Last edited:
You say you have calibrated your monitor BUT looking at your image of the screen next to print, the first thing I see is how dark your print is to your screen. Have you set the screen brightness before doing the colour calibration?
I run my screen about 85 Cd/m² I have found that mac's are often up in the 140 winds about 120 so not know if you have change it of not but this is my finding, as you will also get wrong colours if the screen is too bright.

I have an iMac and a PIXMA Pro 100s.
had same problem too

Last edited by a moderator:
This might work... in LR, you click on Page Setup from the Print Module, then Properties, then check the Color/Intensity Manual Adjustment box, then the Matching tab, then choose None the click OK until you're out.
As mentioned, screen brightness may also be an issue.

Guys, it’s been a while since I’ve posted here.

mom so the best solution for me was to install Canon Print Studio. It’s a bit of a pain to get working with Photoshop and Lightroom but I’ve been able to print accurately every time from there. You can also try the proof feature which prints a collage of your image with slightly different colour variations.

best of luck people

Back