Canon Pro 1/10/100 - Owners Thread

Just picked up a pro 10s today. O ly done one print but got to say I'm well impressed. I bought it on impulse due to the price lce in Lincoln were doing them for.

199 for the 100
299 for the 10
325 for the 1

I chose the 10 as wanted pigment inks. Didn't get the 1 as don't really print black and whites so couldn't justify the extra cost in inks

I have over the weekend set up a 100s without any real issues.
First print via wired Ethernet cable was excellent.
Also came with a full set of inks, I weighed these against a set I had purchased as I suspected the cartridges that came with the printer would be setup ones.
But no each one weighed 30 grams.
I checked the ink levels after my first print and no real worries there.

I just used Standard non photo quality settings on a sheet of Canon Pro Platinum that came with the printer.
All genuine inks and paper used.

Easy to set up even through the wired Ethernet cable via a router.
Just hold down the start button for 11 flashes when setting up at that stage and as long as everything is switched on it finds the printer no need to manually add it.

From Photoshop I selected, let printer control colour. <--- why can't sites recognise <--- and again, English that is spelt in English AAAAAHHHHH!!!!!
English English was the original is all I'm going to say, except it is "would have" and not "would of"....

I have since found that via the custom size paper the 100 can print up to 26.6" long.
Does anyone have recommendations for suitable paper at this length given the printer doesn't have a roller feed.

I suppose I could rig up some kind of Heath Robinson style roll feed as long as the width was 13" or less.

Gloss finish would be preferable.
Cheers.

Oh it is full 330mm wide and 14 metres long!
So I will have to set up some sort of spool feed system or precut to length would likely be easier, but at under £34 pretty good value.

Looking forward to seeing the results, got a pro 100 inbound but was afraid 26" wouldn't be long enough for panos. Can you take a pic when all said and done?

Many thanks

Stephen.

Will do Stephen, as mentioned will be about a fortnight though.

No problem, im not going anywhere. I've read up a lot about this printer and can't wait to get printing. I have some a3+ canon pro luster coming in from the states this week so that'll be when I get to start testing. Ill post some of my prints when I get it up and running.

thanks

Stephen.

This may already be known by some but here is a link to icc profiles for each of the pro 1, 10 & 100 printers.
If you scroll to the bottom of the instruction tab window you will see that these printers via their manual feed tray can take paper 14 inches or 356mm wide!
Link here.

im not sure why you get a red cast on a black and white print. Ive a pixma pro 100 and printing black and white gives me black and white. Ive never seen a colour cast on it. Why would it use coloured inks in a black and white shot when it has multiple black inks for B&W printing?

Would also have been nice to see close up's of the prints so we could actually see them

*edit* I found this thread from someone experiencing the same issue, it made for some interesting reading

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/Professional-Photo-Printers/PRO-100-True-B-amp-W-Prints/td-p/36347
I mainly print black and white. I've gone through the black ink cartridges more than any other. No colour casts for me. All my prints have been perfect.

It seems strange that there would be colour casts as it shouldn't be using coloured ink, and I think that would either hint at something to do with software settings.

The latest post in the topic Ashley linked is going towards software settings rather than the printer being at fault:

"I know I've dredged up an old thread, but I have to say I never really sat down and try to get this **bleep** printer to print really good BW photos. I spent all day yesterday finally going through some threads and I tried two things that made a huge difference. Moving everything to Adobe RGB and also in the printer dialog, under the Main tab and then Color/Intensity set to Manual and then set Matching to "None". That has made a huge difference in both my BW and color pictures. I have a calibrated monitor and on my old Epson I didn't have these issues, but finally I think I have it all nailed down... gawd it's been a long time battling with this printer!!!!"

and on the previous page its saying the black and white photo print box is the problem for green casts:

"That is about the same as I found a slight green tint, it is very slight but I can see it. This happens when I check the "Black and White Photo Print" box."

Hit post before entering my thoughts.

I got my Pixma Pro 100S a few days ago after having binned two epson printers in the last year (R2880 & R3000) the latter is still on the shelf but US.When I printed my first B&W on the new printer I was agast at the green cast and immediately thought I must have screwed up (but also got the nag that I might have made a big mistake buying the Canon).
These two postes quoted above by AshleyC and Alisonfd had me reading the original trials and tribulation of the person the link took me to.
I always print from Lightroom in this case LR6.3 and have LR manage printing and use the paper manufacturer's supplied profiles however on going to print, I had left a tick in the Canon printer dialog to print in B&W also had color intensity to auto. (these may have been defaults but now I save my paper/print settings)
Setting Black and White photo Print to OFF Setting Color/Intensity Manual adjustment ON and on the Main Panel setting colour intensity to Manual then -> SET -> Matching to NONE solved my color cast problem entirely.

Thank you both for sharing your findings and the original post it is much appreciated.

No problem. I'm glad it could help. It is a great printer but Canon really needs to update their software to stop the colour cast issue.

I am currently trying to research the Colour matching (off) equivalent for OS X. The Canon driver only has Canon and ColorSync options in the Colour matching tab. From what I gathered the ColorSync option sets the system default (ICC profile) so whatever application you print with it will take on these settings. Windows does also have an option for this. It feels like the off feature is missing from OS X unless I am missing the bigger picture. I want my Colour management done in Lightroom and not have to setup system defaults or let the driver deal with it.

Any thoughts?

I really must get my 100 set up! Had it for ages (bought in a sale at a good price) but it's still under the bed in its box. Need a monitor wall mount to free up the extra shelf real estate the thing needs.

I am currently trying to research the Colour matching (off) equivalent for OS X. The Canon driver only has Canon and ColorSync options in the Colour matching tab. From what I gathered the ColorSync option sets the system default (ICC profile) so whatever application you print with it will take on these settings. Windows does also have an option for this. It feels like the off feature is missing from OS X unless I am missing the bigger picture. I want my Colour management done in Lightroom and not have to setup system defaults or let the driver deal with it.

Any thoughts?

If ColorSync is selected then the colour management is done from the application. (ie the printer does NOT manage colour). So if you are using LR (or any other program for that matter) and you want the program to manage the colour profile then ColorSync should be selected.

See page titled Printing with ICC Profiles (Specifying an ICC Profile from the Application Software) in the manual. It says select Colorsync for application managed colour profiles. I use a Pro-10 BTW.

Thanks a lot, I was wondering if that was indeed the case (just didn't get to that bit)

Thanks

Stephen.

Got myself a bit of a bargain on a Pro-10 yesterday from a CC member. Any tips and tricks you guys could point me to?

Well, it's been in and out of my virtual 'Basket' on and off for a while, It is now back in and I have got my finger on the Pro-1 'buy' button... my only hesitation is a new model being released soon, would just be my luck :D

I think a new one has not long been realised so I think your safe but don't take my word as gospel :p

Do it @Dark Knight I am amazed at the difference between the Pro100 and the Pro1 I've got 2 prints in a club competition tonight one of them is a Black ad White image (a version of the image I submitted for Abandoned in the Tp52) I've printed it on Permajet Titamium paper and it looks incredible when I get my print back tonight I'll try and take a photo of it and post it.

I think a new one has not long been realised so I think your safe but don't take my word as gospel :p
I guess as always there is always a new model around the corner... thanks Matt :D

Do it @Dark Knight I am amazed at the difference between the Pro100 and the Pro1 I've got 2 prints in a club competition tonight one of them is a Black ad White image (a version of the image I submitted for Abandoned in the Tp52) I've printed it on Permajet Titamium paper and it looks incredible when I get my print back tonight I'll try and take a photo of it and post it.
Oooooooo you may have swung it there Mark, would sure like to see a pic of your print (y)

Hope the competition went well :)

Thanks DK it's tonight if the judge doesn't like it I may hit him!:eek:

When I get the print back I'll get a picture of it. Sometimes if they do well or the committee like them they hold on to them but I will print another copy as I need one for Saturday anyway034.jpg

This is the digital copy

Forgive me I've lost the plot here. I thought the print you submitted (well one of them) was from the excellent 'digital' image you posted above. Surely you noticed this cast at that point ?

Forgive me I've lost the plot here. I thought the print you submitted (well one of them) was from the excellent 'digital' image you posted above. Surely you noticed this cast at that point ?
I think the cast is just the WB from the iphone, as the paper edges do not look white either :)

Thanks Mark :)

Detail looks good, albeit from a dodgy apple device :D

I gather you didn't win then... did you get good feedback about your print ??

No I only got 13 out of 20!!! He said the quality was very good but the women walking across the front of the building was in the wrong place and I should of asked her to walk past again! :mad: my owl picture didn't do much better but I thought the one I posted here was a much stronger image!

I think the cast is just the WB from the iphone, as the paper edges do not look white either :)

The paper its printed on is as a slight silver colour Perjamet Titanium also the lighting in our kitchen was reflecting off it

No I only got 13 out of 20!!! He said the quality was very good but the women walking across the front of the building was in the wrong place and I should of asked her to walk past again! :mad: my owl picture didn't do much better but I thought the one I posted here was a much stronger image!"

It was idiotic feedback like that that caused me to get out of the one and only camera club I joined after a couple of months - that was 35 years ago. Probably better using the time taking images and learning from others whose images you admire IMO

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Just ordered a Pro 100S and am wondering if any of you can give me some pointers regarding software menu setup etc - especially regarding B&W printing.

All my B&W images have been converted in either Photoshop or Lightroom - is it best printing using the Canon Plugin?

As regards B&W printing I've read on various forums about possible colour casts - any suggestions regarding the best settings in this regard?

What paper do you find gives the best results especially for B&W?

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Guys, Just ordered a Pro 100S and am wondering if any of you can give me some pointers regarding software menu setup etc - especially regarding B&W printing.

All my B&W images have been converted in either Photoshop or Lightroom - is it best printing using the Canon Plugin?

As regards B&W printing I've read on various forums about possible colour casts - any suggestions regarding the best settings in this regard?

What paper do you find gives the best results especially for B&W?

Thank you
See posts #133 & #134 above.
As for papers, depends on what quality you want, matte Fine Art like Hahnemuhle / Canson / Innova , Lustre like Permajet Oyster 271 or Ilford Galeries Smooth Pearl Gloss like Ilford Galerie Smooth Gloss, even Tesco Finest Gloss is great. Then there's a host of papers by Epson and indeed Canon.
My Canon Pixma Pro 100S came with Canon Pro Platinum a measly 7 sheets of it.

Oh... I popped on WEX two or three times this morning and finally took the plunge, hit the Buy button, now they actually have one in stock I hope to get my printer by Wednesday, sooooo looking forward to this new and additional challenge for my photography :)

Not offering but I'd recommend having some help with carrying the box in and then unboxing, the pro 10 is a beast and the pro 1 is bigger again still :eek:

Pixma Pro 100S Dye Inks
Regarding the observation that Dye Inks run when wet. I tried it out I ran a colour and a B&W under the tap (only half of each print for later comparison)
Colour print was on Oyster 271 and the B&W was Canson Rag Photographique 310 gsm (Both A4 I'm not that stupid :dummy1:)
Left them to dry both looked fine. Some months later I can see a very slight change in the Oyster (seems to be a little bit or red gone) but the B&W is the same
Now don't try this at home children as YMMV :LOL:

Oh there's a slight curl on the Canson

Last edited:
My GOD Mark, what s***e feedback :bat:

Not offering but I'd recommend having some help with carrying the box in and then unboxing, the pro 10 is a beast and the pro 1 is bigger again still :eek:
Cheers Matt - As usual WEX have been splendid, my printer turned up this morning - F**k me that was a BIG box :LOL:

Now setting up head alignment :banana:

Back