Canon upgrade?

Edit My Images
No
Hi there,
My first post!
I have several Canon L lenses used with my (very old ) 5D MkII.

My question is:
If I keep my L lenses, can I use them on any 'modern' mirrorless body, or is the best I can do a 5D Mk IV?

Thank you.
JW

Hi there,
My first post!

My question is:
If I keep my L lenses, can I use them on any 'modern' mirrorless body, or is the best I can do a 5D Mk IV?

Thank you.
JW
You’d need an EF-RF adaptor to use them with an EOS-R body, but by all accounts they work well. I had a play with an R6 just before Christmas and to be honest was a bit underwhelmed. I guess a lot depends on what you’re looking for in a body upgrade.

You’d need an EF-RF adaptor to use them with an EOS-R body, but by all accounts they work well. I had a play with an R6 just before Christmas and to be honest was a bit underwhelmed. I guess a lot depends on what you’re looking for in a body upgrade.
Thank you Glenn. :)
I was wondering if there were any adapters and of course the question about optical quality comes up. I'd also like to retain the autofocus but I can check out the EF-RF adaptors online.
DPreview may help, I guess.
Cheers,
JW

Thank you Glenn. :)
I was wondering if there were any adapters and of course the question about optical quality comes up. I'd also like to retain the autofocus but I can check out the EF-RF adaptors online.
DPreview may help, I guess.
Cheers,
JW
From what I’ve read, EF lenses retain full functionality when used on the R series bodies via the Canon adaptor. There numerous folks on here with much more experience of the R-series, I’m sure someone will chip in.

James, I upgraded from a 5D mk1 to an R3 and don't have any RF lenses! The EF/RF adaptor works very well and also gives a command ring which can be configured. I'm in no rush to replace my existing lenses, but will likely upgrade my older & lower spec lenses for new RF ones over the next 10 years or so ;)

EF lens work totally fine on the canon R series - I’ve got a few. There is also a bit of a left field option - if anyone prefers the Nikon Z there is a terrific adapter that allows full AF of all canon lens on the Z… my favorite is the Canon 200 2.8L on my Z7

The EF-RF lens adapters do not contain any glass, so the optical quality of your lenses are unaffected.
However the newer high megapixel cameras might show up the quality of older EF lenses.
That said, with a mirrorless camera the focusing is done on the main sensor, so there's no calibration to do and therefore AF should be better than on a DSLR.
If you are using a 5DMk2, then any of the EOS-R series cameras will be an upgrade. The AF system is far more advanced, even in the bottom of range EOS-RP (which I have and is very good value at £700ish s/h). The EOS-R is kinda equivalent to the 5D Mk4. The R5 is even better but whether it's worth the money can only be judged by you.

What I would suggest is go to the Canon Test Drive website: https://testdrive.trythekit.com/ book a free test of an EOS-R series camera with EF-RF adapter and try it out.
I did that and it sold me on the upgrade.

Hi there,
My first post!

My question is:

Thank you.
JW
L lens work perfectly with EF to RF adapter. I have EF L lens from 11mm too 600mm and find results are better than DSLR, mainly due to the improved AF of the R and R5 that I use. I’ve yet to buy an RF lens.

Your lenses won't work as well as they do on the 5dII, they'll work much better. The focussing will be faster and more accurate, if you get a later one you'll get image stabilisation too.

Whether you go R5, R6 or higher spec is up to you. Frankly, I love the R6, it's an absolute bargain for what t is (an EOS 1dx3 in a lightweight body).

tangerine_sedge, stickytape, Alistair, Tim, Steve & Phil,​

Thank you guys so much for your generous response to my rookie question.
I'll take all you said on board and probably (thanks to Alistair), do the test drive thing.
My old MKII was getting very heavy and I'd love to try a newer, mirrorless option.
Funny, I started out in digital with a Sony DSC-F707 in 2000, also with an electronic viewfinder, VERY slow, clunky and low res. It'd be interesting to see where they are now!
My wallet is getting itchy too! ;)
Thanks all,
JW

I’d have mentioned the test drive too, I did it for the R6 and RF70-200 2.8.

It was like stepping into a future magical world.

BTW having got the R6 I still use my ancient 70-200L and it’s now an IS lens (still weighs a ton)

Back