Can't get enough of this character

• Thread starter Deleted member 34016
  • Start date
Taken last year - not seen him this year so far :(

Cracking photo and like you, I can't get enough of it.
I''ve been shooting a female Great Spotted Woodpecker who is a very willing subject.
The birds seem use to people there as food is often put down and I saw other photographers but she won't come down out of the trees with the guys stood with their colossal prime lenses.
A friend and I were there Tuesday morning and luckily we had the site to ourselves and while I was using his Tamron 150-600 G2, he was sat closer with my Canon 70-300L and it didn’t stop her or any of the other birds from coming down for food.
We've also seen other woodpeckers in the area but she is the only one who poses for us.
I've yet to get the photo I want but I'm well chuffed with the results so far.

Fabulous shots @Lez325 @hashcake

I have one visit my garden often. Not used to people at all and usually I end up with my ugly feeder in the shots. Need to make it more photogenic!

Some years ago I tried without much success to shoot them in the woods when I lived in North London but the trees blocked too much light.
Last year I got some good shots of one at Blashford nature reserve but they were on the feeder.
Where we are shooting the current one, people have put up perches which work quite well.
if you can build up a pile of wood from dead trees and build a couple of perches, I think within time you might also get the shots you want as well.

GR8 shot !

Back