Car buyers should have 'long, hard think' about diesel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is this the answer? Cars fuelled by hydrogen fuel cells generating electricity, with solar or wind powered Hydrogen filling stations producing hydrogen from water?
I think that's a more practical next generation system. It's also possible to use hydrogen to fuel IC engines - so you get a choice of two technologies sharing the same fuel and existing vehicles can be converted to it... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen_vehicle

That was my point earlier, swathes of people will feel the cost of car "ownership" for the occasional travel that isn't covered by public transport is too expensive. If they have little or no possibility of charging their car they will be forced onto public transport.
How many people commute each day, leaving a the car doing nothing all week and then just use it at weekends for a weekly food shopping trip etc, affordable because of the relatively inexpensive price of ICE cars on top of their commuting costs.

Mass car ownership is ingrained in modern UK culture and if people cannot afford an EV they will continue to use old ICE, I can see a return to the 50/60 when only the rich drove their own vehicles and ordinary people either had motorbikes (with or without sidecars) or ended up driving rusty old bangers. Progress, I don't think so.

Ok, I now understand your point (I think). This is perhaps where Prius-level hybrids come in during the transition, before the public infrastructure is ready for everyone to adopt full EV. But it still creates the divide between have's and have-not's.

The thing with car ownership is that it's changing. I regularly see BMW i3 DriveNow and Golf car club vehicles near where I live. Car club seems to be on the rise. For those weekend shopping trips or Ikea runs, many people now choose to use car club cars on a weekend rather than own and maintain an aging car.

Is this the answer? Cars fuelled by hydrogen fuel cells generating electricity, with solar or wind powered Hydrogen filling stations producing hydrogen from water?
Efficiency are poor on hydrogen fuel cell.......... you'd require a lot more electricity to power those cars than battery EV's.

Ok, I now understand your point (I think). This is perhaps where Prius-level hybrids come in during the transition, before the public infrastructure is ready for everyone to adopt full EV. But it still creates the divide between have's and have-not's.

The thing with car ownership is that it's changing. I regularly see BMW i3 DriveNow and Golf car club vehicles near where I live. Car club seems to be on the rise. For those weekend shopping trips or Ikea runs, many people now choose to use car club cars on a weekend rather than own and maintain an aging car.

Efficiency are poor on hydrogen fuel cell.......... you'd require a lot more electricity to power those cars than battery EV's.
If the hydrogen fuel station is using solar or wind energy to create the hydrogen the fuel is 'free' after the initial costs of making & installing the fuel station is recovered........

If the hydrogen fuel station is using solar or wind energy to create the hydrogen the fuel is 'free' after the initial costs of making & installing the fuel station is recovered........
Same can be said for battery equipped charging stations. Except it is able to allow battery EV charged there to drive a lot more miles than fuel cell hydrogen.

Almost twice more miles, in fact.
https://cleantechnica.com/2018/08/1...battery-electric-vehicles-technology-rundown/
fcv-vs-battery-efficiency-hydrogen.png

Much more convenient than if you should need to refuel an EV.
For certain uses battery cars are superior. For other purposes IC cars are better. Logically we want both types to be available and for people to be free to choose what suits their needs. Unfortunately some people treat these decisions as a matter of religion and feel it is their duty to turn everyone into true believers.

It's a shame about all the explosions and leaks at Hydrogen fuel stations and the fact that Toyota and Hyundai have suspended sales in Norway.

The 300 miles of the Mirai is at a cost of £60 odd. Meanwhile someone in a Hyundai Kona can fill up at home for 300 miles for a tenner. They've also not spunked £60k on a car that can only be filled in about 2 places in the UK.

https://qz.com/1641276/a-hydrogen-fueling-station-explodes-in-norways-baerum/

Hydrogen is dead. It didn't work in airships and it certainly doesn't work in cars either.

It's a shame about all the explosions and leaks at Hydrogen fuel stations and the fact that Toyota and Hyundai have suspended sales in Norway.

The 300 miles of the Mirai is at a cost of £60 odd. Meanwhile someone in a Hyundai Kona can fill up at home for 300 miles for a tenner. They've also not spunked £60k on a car that can only be filled in about 2 places in the UK.

https://qz.com/1641276/a-hydrogen-fueling-station-explodes-in-norways-baerum/

Hydrogen is dead. It didn't work in airships and it certainly doesn't work in cars either.
How many hydrogen fuel station explosions have there been. I can only find evidence of the one.
There's more than two filling stations in the UK, there's 3 in the London area alone. They also have some in Scotland.

So in your view, it is better to have battery-swap facilities instead of re-charging? Every 200-300 miles you are required to visit a battery-swap station?
Yes (although 300/400 miles would be better). From a convenience point of view for individuals and also for infrastructure. You speak about installing chargers at blocks of flats, car parks, etc etc. That will be prohibitively expensive and inefficient. HS2 could begin to look cheap. Who pays for it?

Or, battery swap only happens for long distance drive. Then, if someone only travels long distance every 2 blue moons, other times they drive their car close to its range limit. Each and every battery swap becomes a gamble, whether this newly swapped in battery will be able to sustain the same driving style.
Why is it a gamble? Don't really see any difference from stopping to fill up with petrol or diesel, just another fuel source.

Battery rental has proven to be pointless and unpopular by early Leaf and Zoe.

Battery swap had been tested by EV manufacturers and had not taken off. En-route charging time is ever decreasing, with infrastructure cost covered by on-site batteries also getting paid to provide grid services.
Is that to do with the level of need/demand from early adopters making it uneconomic or was it impractical? Genuine question :)

And there are so many different shapes and sizes of cars. So it's unlikely we'll ever see battery swap stations ever........
We standardised on AA, AAA etc batteries. Why not for cars?

I suppose the ideal scenario is where you don't actually have to swap but can drive in and within 5 minutes have a full recharge (or almost full) and get on your way again. Much as it is now.

That's not what I've been reading.
Commercial lighting circuits are unlikely to be the same as domestic.
I'd imagine the companies supplying and installing them know what they're doing, and will have considerably more knowledge than you or I.
The wiring will be designed to cater for lighting load. Start adding in 400/500 kW of charging capability and it's very possible that the existing infrastructure would need to be ripped out and relaid.
I can't see the council paying for that.

You speak about installing chargers at blocks of flats, car parks, etc etc. That will be prohibitively expensive and inefficient. HS2 could begin to look cheap. Who pays for it?
Local government, car manufacturers and energy providers.

OLEV and Nissan paid most of my home charger, I only had to pay £99 to upgrade to 7kW. Being public charging, you could expect a slight price increase per kWh to pay back energy providers for installation.

Car manufacturer: money from selling EV goes to funding charger install
Government: to cut down emissions to meet pollution standards
Energy company: to do the actual install and receive payment for usage

Why is it a gamble? Don't really see any difference from stopping to fill up with petrol or diesel, just another fuel source.
Difference is that the battery is the most component of the car. It would be more like swapping an ICE, putting in one of a minimal standard that may be lower quality than your current one.

If I were driving a new car, I certainly would avoid those battery swap stations.

Is that to do with the level of need/demand from early adopters making it uneconomic or was it impractical? Genuine question :)
It's mainly what happens to cars after the first owner's 3 years ownership. Zoe battery owned cars go really quickly while battery rental cars stay in dealership with little interest. At around 2015, Nissan bought out program to allow battery rentals to be bought out.

The wiring will be designed to cater for lighting load. Start adding in 400/500 kW of charging capability and it's very possible that the existing infrastructure would need to be ripped out and relaid.
Go checkout Kensington and surround boroughs, Ubitricity have installed lamp post chargers without any sign of ripping out roads.

For certain uses battery cars are superior. For other purposes IC cars are better. Logically we want both types to be available and for people to be free to choose what suits their needs. Unfortunately some people treat these decisions as a matter of religion and feel it is their duty to turn everyone into true believers.
Not trying to turn anyone.

Just pointing out misconceptions people have regarding EV. Most of the time it's due to bad mass media misinformation, other times due to established interest for the oil industry spreading misinformation.

Last edited:
it's very possible that the existing infrastructure would need to be ripped out and relaid. I can't see the council paying for that.
Then there’s the question of vandalism. Given that the British Transport Police can’t keep thieves and other nuisances off the closed railway system how long will street chargers last even in relatively law abiding districts?

Local government, car manufacturers and energy providers.

OLEV and Nissan paid most of my home charger, I only had to pay £99 to upgrade to 7kW. Being public charging, you could expect a slight price increase per kWh to pay back energy providers for installation.

Car manufacturer: money from selling EV goes to funding charger install
Government: to cut down emissions to meet pollution standards
Energy company: to do the actual install and receive payment for usage
Manufacturers: don't really see the incentive for them, unless they have some sort of exclusivity on the connection long term. i.e. you're tied into that brand.
Councils are cash strapped, it would need increases in council tax, we pay for it.
Government: maybe, it helps their decarbonisation targets but we all know what happens with large Government projects. It'll take twice a long, cost 10 times as much and other services will be cut or taxes will go up to meet those costs i.e. we pay for it.
Suppliers: Not a hope in hell. They're neither structured nor incentivised properly to do it. The infrastructure is provided by the network operator. You buy your energy from a supplier. You're free to choose whatever supplier you want so they've no guarantee of return.
If the network operators are mandated to provide the infrastructure they will quite rightly argue to be allowed to recover those costs and make a return on it. We'll pay that through distribution charges.

Edit: ultimately I do think it will be government led, maybe some hybrid public/private model.

Difference is that the battery is the most component of the car. It would be more like swapping an ICE, putting in one of a minimal standard that may be lower quality than your current one.

If I were driving a new car, I certainly would avoid those battery swap stations.

I don't think your analogy is right. You still have the engine in the car, the motors. All you're doing is swapping the fuel source, in some ways a bit like 97 or 99 RON. The condition of the battery is the responsibility of the "charge operator". Nothing to stop you still charging at home if you want to.

It's mainly what happens to cars after the first owner's 3 years ownership. Zoe battery owned cars go really quickly while battery rental cars stay in dealership with little interest. At around 2015, Nissan bought out program to allow battery rentals to be bought out.

Go checkout Kensington and surround boroughs, Ubitricity have installed lamp post chargers without any sign of ripping out roads.
Might be to do with the current low level of uptake making the economics not work properly, don't know.

There will be plenty of localised cases where the infrastructure is fine. What you don't know there though is did the HV transmission need to be upgraded, or the local transformer etc. It's not all to do with the lamp post. In general terms there will be major upgrades required.

Not trying to turn anyone.

Just pointing out misconceptions people have regarding EV. Most of the time it's due to bad mass media misinformation, other times due to established interest for the oil industry spreading misinformation.
You've obviously got a huge amount of knowledge on the subject and are very enthusiastic. You do come across as a little bit evangelical about it at times though ;)

This is interesting - you're thinking like an ICE driver. ;) In a battery swap scenario you wouldn't own the battery, but instead would pay a small rental fee in addition to the electricity cost. This would have the benefit of dropping the initial purchase price of an EV and remove all the concerns of battery life & capacity a relatively minor issue in EV ownership. Yes, it would require that all EVs were limited to a couple of battery designs (1 small for town cars, 1 large for everything else) and it would also deal with the embarrassingly stupid proprietary connector debacle that we presently see.

Few vehicle manufacturers would sign up to this I'm sure, so it would probably require legislation/high taxes for non-compliant vehicles.

Manufacturers: don't really see the incentive for them, unless they have some sort of exclusivity on the connection long term. i.e. you're tied into that brand.
Councils are cash strapped, it would need increases in council tax, we pay for it.
Government: maybe, it helps their decarbonisation targets but we all know what happens with large Government projects. It'll take twice a long, cost 10 times as much and other services will be cut or taxes will go up to meet those costs i.e. we pay for it.
Suppliers: Not a hope in hell. They're neither structured nor incentivised properly to do it. The infrastructure is provided by the network operator. You buy your energy from a supplier. You're free to choose whatever supplier you want so they've no guarantee of return.
If the network operators are mandated to provide the infrastructure they will quite rightly argue to be allowed to recover those costs and make a return on it. We'll pay that through distribution charges.

Edit: ultimately I do think it will be government led, maybe some hybrid public/private model.
Sorry, I have combined supplier and network operator. Because it being a public charging infrastructure, you are unable to choose and switch electricity suppliers. I think you got the gist non-the-less. Whoever you pay for charging pays for initial installation, meaning, on top of the electricity cost, you pay a very small portion of install cost.

I don't think your analogy is right. You still have the engine in the car, the motors. All you're doing is swapping the fuel source, in some ways a bit like 97 or 99 RON. The condition of the battery is the responsibility of the "charge operator". Nothing to stop you still charging at home if you want to.
The thing is, the importance of the battery is on-par to ICE in a fossil fueled car. Its importance cannot be compared to fuel tank or any other component of the vehicle. Unlike fuel quality, the battery is a large part of the vehicle.

"Swap-operator" of course must guarantee a level of battery capacity. But like warranty replacements, they can just as well provide the minimum level. Say 250 miles when brand spanking new, they guarantee 80%, that's only 200 miles. So you are effectively throwing away 20% of your battery capacity just by visiting a battery-swap station.

In a battery swap scenario you wouldn't own the battery, but instead would pay a small rental fee in addition to the electricity cost. This would have the benefit of dropping the initial purchase price of an EV and remove all the concerns of battery life & capacity a relatively minor issue in EV ownership. Yes, it would require that all EVs were limited to a couple of battery designs (1 small for town cars, 1 large for everything else) and it would also deal with the embarrassingly stupid proprietary connector debacle that we presently see.
How does this rental-based model work with home charging? I can't get my head around this. Why would I pay for battery rental when I'll never use it? How do I know the history of the car's battery? How would used market work for battery-swapped EV's, is it going to be like battery rental Zoe's?

As previous said:
EV initial purchase price is not too expensive after you average out the cost.
There are no battery life concern, the battery is expected to last lifetime of the car.
Battery rental had been tried and it is not selling on second hand market.
There are no proprietary connector anymore, CCS is the standard in Europe. Vast majority of new EV you buy today will have CCS (exception are Zoe and Nissan, Zoe 2020 will get CCS)

The thing is, the importance of the battery is on-par to ICE in a fossil fueled car. Its importance cannot be compared to fuel tank or any other component of the vehicle. Unlike fuel quality, the battery is a large part of the vehicle.

"Swap-operator" of course must guarantee a level of battery capacity. But like warranty replacements, they can just as well provide the minimum level. Say 250 miles when brand spanking new, they guarantee 80%, that's only 200 miles. So you are effectively throwing away 20% of your battery capacity just by visiting a battery-swap station.

How does this rental-based model work with home charging? I can't get my head around this. Why would I pay for battery rental when I'll never use it? How do I know the history of the car's battery? How would used market work for battery-swapped EV's, is it going to be like battery rental Zoe's?

As previous said:
There are no battery life concern, the battery is expected to last lifetime of the car.
You are contradicting yourself. First you say with battery swap you could end up with a battery which will give you less range, then you say battery life isn't a problem as it will outlast the car. Also if you don't have the need to swap your battery and over the years of ownership the battery charge is reduced, limiting your mileage before a recharge is necessary, you have an opportunity to swap out for a fuller capacity battery very cheaply.
Also your initial cost of EV not being expensive once averaged out makes no sense. Once averaged out it isn't initial cost. As stand alone initial cost EV is expensive.

As previous said:
Battery rental had been tried and it is not selling on second hand market.

No-one fills their car with petrol or diesel at home - with this model there's no need. It solves the initial purchase price problem which IS that you have to pay for the battery up-front, regardless of whether you save money long-term. You simply pay for the electricity your car consumes (easy enough to measure battery output) rather than what it takes to charge the battery, and the battery provider guarantees it will provide a promised minimum number of amp-hours.

This is also far more sensible than charging in the street because the heavy power supply infrastructure required can be run to a single destination, rather than trying to distribute a lot of additional power in a wide network.

But hey, this model will never happen, so don't worry about it.

There are no proprietary connector anymore, CCS is the standard in Europe.

So is there no longer a proprietary Tesla connector?

Back in 2008, how many not-so-well-off people had a touch screen smartphone? Was that a great idea? yet, now, the same people are reaping smart phone benefits by no longer needing a computer to access internet services.

Theres another analogy with smartphones and electric cars.

When i had a 'dumb' phone, i would never have wanted a phone with worse battery life. My (then) current phone lasted nearly a fortnight between charges, it would be sheer stupidity to make phones that only lasted a day and expect them to be successful in the market...

You've obviously got a huge amount of knowledge on the subject and are very enthusiastic. You do come across as a little bit evangelical about it at times though ;)

Dare i disagree with a mod!

I don't think so at all, wuyanxu appears to have been very balanced and happy to point out the flaws and limitations of EV.

Re battery swops, i think this is a dead end topic. We all know how fast technology moves on. From what i have read the fastest charger (Tesla v3) can give 75 miles in 5 minutes and this will only get faster as the technology improves.

Re battery swops, i think this is a dead end topic. We all know how fast technology moves on. From what i have read the fastest charger (Tesla v3) can give 75 miles in 5 minutes and this will only get faster as the technology improves.
Is that for tesla only?

You are contradicting yourself. First you say with battery swap you could end up with a battery which will give you less range, then you say battery life isn't a problem as it will outlast the car. Also if you don't have the need to swap your battery and over the years of ownership the battery charge is reduced, limiting your mileage before a recharge is necessary, you have an opportunity to swap out for a fuller capacity battery very cheaply.
Consider 2 examples:
You buy a new EV with 250 miles range. During first month, you take it for a long drive. The battery swap station swaps in a 3 years old 200 miles range battery because that's the minimum they guarantee. Would you be happy with this?
You buy a 10 years old EV, you would be expecting a degraded battery, giving less range, you wouldn't expect the full manufacturer claimed range. So for fraction of new car price, you've got an old car, just like current second hand car model.

In battery swap situation, you could end up with a battery worse than your current car.
Battery life in EV is not a problem and is said to outlast the car.
Where is the contradiction?

If you can swap out the IC engine cheaply, to an engine up to 3 years old with less than 100k driven (for example). Would new car owners do this to their new engines?

Also your initial cost of EV not being expensive once averaged out makes no sense. Once averaged out it isn't initial cost. As stand alone initial cost EV is expensive.
So when people buy a car, they don't view it as a depreciating asset? The depreciation averages out over time from purchase to the point you sell it.
Do people view cars as a lump-sum entity and never really think in terms about monthly saving up for the next one, or PCP monthly payments?

So is there no longer a proprietary Tesla connector?
They are installing CCS on all their supercharger stations. Tesla stations will all have standardised CCS charger connector.

Tesla Model 3 have CCS. Refreshed S and X will all have CCS. Renault Zoe refresh will have CCS. Only Nissan Leaf is the odd one out for new cars.

Is that for tesla only?
That is Tesla car on Tesla new supercharger only (only 1 public site currently, I think).

Cars capable of charging quickly are:
100kW: Hyundai cars, e-Niro, I-Pace
120-150kW: E-Tron, EQC (?unsure?), Tesla S and X from 2012
250kW: Model 3 and S + X from last month
350kW: Porsche's 800v system.

But what public infrastructure is available across UK? Except Tesla, vast majority chargers at trunk route service area are 50kW from ~2013 funded by Nissan, for first generation Leaf.

Consider 2 examples:
You buy a new EV with 250 miles range. During first month, you take it for a long drive. The battery swap station swaps in a 3 years old 200 miles range battery because that's the minimum they guarantee. Would you be happy with this?
You buy a 10 years old EV, you would be expecting a degraded battery, giving less range, you wouldn't expect the full manufacturer claimed range. So for fraction of new car price, you've got an old car, just like current second hand car model.

In battery swap situation, you could end up with a battery worse than your current car.
Battery life in EV is not a problem and is said to outlast the car.
Where is the contradiction?

If you can swap out the IC engine cheaply, to an engine up to 3 years old with less than 100k driven (for example). Would new car owners do this to their new engines?

So when people buy a car, they don't view it as a depreciating asset? The depreciation averages out over time from purchase to the point you sell it.
Do people view cars as a lump-sum entity and never really think in terms about monthly saving up for the next one, or PCP monthly payments?
A 3yr old battery range reduced by 1/5th after 3yrs. 10yr old, 2nd hand EV has reduced range over new EV.

Battery life in EV is not a problem will outlast car.

That is a contradiction in no uncertain terms.

I certainly wouldn't be happy if after 3yrs, battery life was reduced by a fifth.
But that is easily overcome by a choice of guaranteeing a similar aged battery or older battery at time of swap and reflected in the cost of the swap.

Pointless likening it to swapping engines on a new car as there is no need to do so.
Also an ICE vehicles range will improve from new until the friction is gone from the engine (approximately 5k miles) if the vehicle is regularly maintained there is no reason for it to reduce after that. So another plus point for ICE. At least with battery swap an EV can remain competitive on that.

Again, average cost overtime of ownership doesn't negate the fact that EV are more expensive at point of sale. Also as has constantly been pointed out to you, the break even point of EV working out cheaper than ice can be beyond the point at which the first owner decides to replace the vehicle.

A 3yr old battery range reduced by 1/5th after 3yrs. 10yr old, 2nd hand EV has reduced range over new EV.

Battery life in EV is not a problem will outlast car.

That is a contradiction in no uncertain terms.

I certainly wouldn't be happy if after 3yrs, battery life was reduced by a fifth.
But that is easily overcome by a choice of guaranteeing a similar aged battery or older battery at time of swap and reflected in the cost of the swap.
That was an example to point out possible large difference between new battery and battery swap guarantee. Nissan degradation warranty for example, is something like 70% after 8 years. So 3 years 80% as a baseline guarantee from an organisation that works with rental battery sounds plausible.

But does that mean Battery in EV won't outlast the car? No. Reduced range just means you got to charge up more often (each charge costing less and less, like a shrinking fuel tank). The car is still a car if it meets your needs, hence battery is likely to outlast the car.

It would certainly be possible to have a hugely complicated battery swap station taking up large amount of space just to store different grades of battery in stock for the customer to choose, if that's what you are suggesting? Nevermind the cost to store the battery and materials wasted to manufacturer more battery than needed, and also needing to store them at high state of charge, accelerating their degradation.

Pointless likening it to swapping engines on a new car as there is no need to do so.
Why is it pointless? If it helps people to understand that EV battery is the most important component in their EV, I don't think it's pointless. Battery swap is like swapping the most expensive, most important and residue value defining component of a car. Which component in an ICE car is most expensive, most important and residue value defining?

Again, average cost overtime of ownership doesn't negate the fact that EV are more expensive at point of sale. Also as has constantly been pointed out to you, the break even point of EV working out cheaper than ice can be beyond the point at which the first owner decides to replace the vehicle.
So you agree there is a breakeven point? Second sentence contradicting your first sentence.

The breakeven point for EV vs ICE car depends heavily on how it is used. It has been acknowledged and multiple calculations had been done to show it is possible if usage pattern matches up to maximise the low running cost of EV's.

That was an example to point out possible large difference between new battery and battery swap guarantee. Nissan degradation warranty for example, is something like 70% after 8 years. So 3 years 80% as a baseline guarantee from an organisation that works with rental battery sounds plausible.

But does that mean Battery in EV won't outlast the car? No. Reduced range just means you got to charge up more often (each charge costing less and less, like a shrinking fuel tank). The car is still a car if it meets your needs, hence battery is likely to outlast the car.

It would certainly be possible to have a hugely complicated battery swap station taking up large amount of space just to store different grades of battery in stock for the customer to choose, if that's what you are suggesting? Nevermind the cost to store the battery and materials wasted to manufacturer more battery than needed, and also needing to store them at high state of charge, accelerating their degradation.

Why is it pointless? If it helps people to understand that EV battery is the most important component in their EV, I don't think it's pointless. Battery swap is like swapping the most expensive, most important and residue value defining component of a car. Which component in an ICE car is most expensive, most important and residue value defining?

So you agree there is a breakeven point? Second sentence contradicting your first sentence.

The breakeven point for EV vs ICE car depends heavily on how it is used. It has been acknowledged and multiple calculations had been done to show it is possible if usage pattern matches up to maximise the low running cost of EV's.
Fuel tanks don't shrink, so yet again another pointless comparison.
As you pointed out as battery range decreases, you will need to recharge more often, yes future charges will cost less but because they are more frequent it will cost more overall and as the battery deteriorates further, it will cost more. That won't happen with a properly maintained ice.

Just because the ICE is the most expensive part of a vehicle, it doesn't mean that you can compare it to an EV battery. The EV battery is just an overpriced inefficient fuel tank that loses It's capacity over time. A maintained ice shouldn't.

I have never denied that there is a breakeven point and I haven't contradicted myself. It has repeatedly been pointed out to you that for similar use for EV and ICE vehicles the breakeven point can be quite a lengthy process, some people never seeing it because they don't keep the vehicle that long. The fact that battery life starts to reduce meaning more frequent charging and extra cost as a result increases the time before breakeven.

Rather like Brexit and climate change this discussion is in danger of becoming a religious dispute.

If electric vehicles meet a real need they'll become common. They were popular from the 1880s to the 1900s when the internal combustion engine displaced them almost entirely due to its self evident advantages. Only time will tell if they can displace the rival that replaced them over a century ago, given current economic and traffic conditions.

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130522.jpg

As you pointed out as battery range decreases, you will need to recharge more often, yes future charges will cost less but because they are more frequent it will cost more overall and as the battery deteriorates further, it will cost more.
Please explain your logic behind the bold statement.

The more battery degrade, the less capacity is holds, so it will cost less to recharge each time. Why does charging more frequent will cost more overall, if overall energy used hasn't changed, only frequency of plugging in changed?

For a simplified example: When new, battery holds 100kWh every charge. You charge it 8 times and pay for 800kWh electricity.
When the car is old, battery holds 80kWh every charge. You charge it 10 times and pay for 800kWh electricity.
simples ;)

Just because the ICE is the most expensive part of a vehicle, it doesn't mean that you can compare it to an EV battery.
Again, let me repeat this:
the most expensive, most important and residue value defining component
If you want to truly compare functionality of battery against an ICE car counterpart, it is very difficult. A fuel tank cannot produce energy, it only holds fuel, which is unusable without ICE. A fuel tank cannot provide energy to any parts of the car except the engine, whereas EV battery is like an ICE, it powers all of the car.

They were popular from the 1880s to the 1900s when the internal combustion engine displaced them almost entirely due to its self evident advantages.
The electric car before 1900's were vastly different to EV today. You cannot travel long distance with those cars. The Li-on battery are the enabler for today's EV's.
Just because the old cars were powered by electric motor and were replaced by ICE does not mean today's electric cars are inadequate in the same way.

Similarly, just because early 1900 century we saw fit to pollute with fossil fuel, doesn't mean it is okay continue to do the same after a century of human development.

Please explain your logic behind the bold statement.

The more battery degrade, the less capacity is holds, so it will cost less to recharge each time. Why does charging more frequent will cost more overall, if overall energy used hasn't changed, only frequency of plugging in changed?

For a simplified example: When new, battery holds 100kWh every charge. You charge it 8 times and pay for 800kWh electricity.
When the car is old, battery holds 80kWh every charge. You charge it 10 times and pay for 800kWh electricity.
simples ;)

Again, let me repeat this:

If you want to truly compare functionality of battery against an ICE car counterpart, it is very difficult. A fuel tank cannot produce energy, it only holds fuel, which is unusable without ICE. A fuel tank cannot provide energy to any parts of the car except the engine, whereas EV battery is like an ICE, it powers all of the car.

The electric car before 1900's were vastly different to EV today. You cannot travel long distance with those cars. The Li-on battery are the enabler for today's EV's.
Just because the old cars were powered by electric motor and were replaced by ICE does not mean today's electric cars are inadequate in the same way.

Similarly, just because early 1900 century we saw fit to pollute with fossil fuel, doesn't mean it is okay continue to do the same after a century of human development.
Because batteries not only lose capacity but also the ability to hold charge as well as they get older and charging becomes more frequent. Also the batteries tend to get hotter more often and will require more cooling which uses up more of the battery energy.

A battery is just the device that stores the energy of the electricity put into it. Without that electricity, the battery can't power anything at all, It's as useful as a ICE car with an empty fuel tank.

The late 1800 / early 1900 Ev's had a range of 50-80 miles. Not that far short of some Ev's of less than 10yrs ago.

The point is that it would make battery and vehicle completely independent of each other - the battery would not be the most important part of the car, and would instead just be a fuel source.

That's a non-argument. Our remote ancestors from 3.5 billion years ago would regard our atmosphere as awash with toxic oxygen and wonder how we'd let the environment get into such a mess. :runaway:

In any case (and to be serious) battery power brings its own pollution problems. Back in 2007 Toyota said that building the Prius required more energy and emited more carbon dioxide than making its equivalent ICE cars. ( https://science.howstuffworks.com/s...-production-waste-offset-hybrid-benefits1.htm )

There are no absolutes in this discussion; it all depends where you stand.

Anyone see the report out today saying the non fuel pollutants from cars e.g break dust, tyre particles etc were as much in ev cars as ice cars and these are now a major concern and as ice car exhaust gets cleaner so ice and ev become almost identical in their polluting effects at the roadside, all of a sudden perhaps this so called tailpipe emission becomes somewhat more complicated to evaluate in favour of EV.

Anyone see the report out today saying the non fuel pollutants from cars e.g break dust, tyre particles etc were as much in ev cars as ice cars and these are now a major concern and as ice car exhaust gets cleaner so ice and ev become almost identical in their polluting effects at the roadside, all of a sudden perhaps this so called tailpipe emission becomes somewhat more complicated to evaluate in favour of EV.

That will be a nice new thing to be focused on for taxes to make up for any tax lost with the lack of EV tailpipe emissions.

Because batteries not only lose capacity but also the ability to hold charge as well as they get older and charging becomes more frequent. Also the batteries tend to get hotter more often and will require more cooling which uses up more of the battery energy.

simples ;)
Is the "battery get hotter and require more cooling" argument on the same level as "ICE get more efficient after first 5k miles"? What sort of percentage are we talking about? Sounds like it's going to be negligible.

The truth with battery temperature is that it only gets excessively heated up if you charge or discharge it at a very fast rate, for example when driving very long distances beyond the battery daily range. Normal charging will not require any additional cooling what so ever.

The late 1800 / early 1900 Ev's had a range of 50-80 miles. Not that far short of some Ev's of less than 10yrs ago.
What sort of performance did early EV's have? Can they be driven long distances by regaining large percentage of its range very quickly?

That's just on the cars themselves. We, in 2000. also have much much cleaner electricity sources than early 1900's. The electric infrastructure is also much better suited to adopt EV. We are in a different era with vastly improved EV technology. It'd be like comparing surgery today to surgery in the 50's "they are both cutting people open". :banghead:

In any case (and to be serious) battery power brings its own pollution problems. Back in 2007 Toyota said that building the Prius required more energy and emited more carbon dioxide than making its equivalent ICE cars. ( https://science.howstuffworks.com/s...-production-waste-offset-hybrid-benefits1.htm )
Let's look at the source: https://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/11/03/toyota-engineers-flowers-to-offset-production-pollution/
Toyota acknowledges that Prius production is more carbon dioxide heavy than that of gas-engine cars.
But comparing to "gas-engine" cars, Prius were producing consistently less grams/km of CO2 when compared to petrol or diesel. So which type of car is cleaner over its lifetime?

The source is primarily about how the Prius plant is reducing its pollution footprint
Toyota has gone to some extreme lengths to offset the carbon dioxide emissions produced by its Tsutsumi plant in Toyota City, Japan, where it builds the Prius hybrid.

The plant conserves electricity by using solar panels on its roof and reflective solar tubes inside the plant to beam reflected sunlight into rooms. The outside walls are painted with photocatalytic paint to absorb harmful airborne gases, like nitrous oxides and sulfur oxides. Toyota has planted 50,000 trees to offset carbon dioxide emissions, and even the grass has been engineered to grow more slowly than conventional grass, so the lawn needs to be mowed only once a year.

Let's consider the maths:
Tailpipe emission = X
Other vehicular particulate pollution = Y

ICE vehicles = X + Y
EV = Y
EV brakes less, so less brake particulate pollution. EV weights more, but weight is more evenly distributed, so only more particulate emission on half of the wheels (rear). So roughly equal Y for both. (very rough guestimates)

No matter how much X is reduced, X+Y will always be more than Y.

Care to link the report and examine it further? I do want to know is all the concern on this topic came from that single questionable report regarding brake and tyre dust, or is there more coherent voice from multiple scientific sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back