Changing lens safely - on the move?

Name
Gil
Edit My Images
Yes
Wondered if I could ask people's advice for changing lens safely while out on the field. I have trouble finding a place to put my lenses when I want to swap them round - one of these days I feel like I might drop one if I don't find something to aid me!! I've seen the Think Tank holsters - wanted to ask others for their experience and wisdom first!!

Presumably you have a bag? Put the lens you take off in the bag and take out the replacement and put it on the camera. Am I missing something?

Presumably you have a bag? Put the lens you take off in the bag and take out the replacement and put it on the camera. Am I missing something?

I have a bag that holds all - which is too cumbersome to carry everywhere - maybe time to buy a smaller bag - or a bag that has a lens compartment as well as a lunch compartment. Do you know of any mixed purpose bags?

There is every kind of camera bag you can imagine and then some, it really depends on how much kit you want to carry and how far. I always think that the hiking camera backpacks with camera and lunch/clothing sections are vastly overpriced for what they are. Personally I have Lowepro Passport Sling that I use a lot for general out-and-about and a Nest Nest Diverse Modular that has removable internal sections. If I am walking any distance and taking lunch I take a normal hiking rucksack and use one of the internal sections from the Nest to protect the camera gear inside the rucksack.

BTW the perfect bag does not exist, it is a conspiracy by the bag manufacturers to make you by loads of bags in search of one that has all the features you need :)

I've often thought about this as well... I normally take a backpack with me but i still end up balancing lenses on my lap while swapping over.

The ones I've looked at are:-
http://lensflipper.com/
http://www.lenspacks.com/ (Although you still need a camera bag to put these in anyway)

There was another one that i saw on facebook that looked pretty clever too but can't find it now.

I've often thought about this as well... I normally take a backpack with me but i still end up balancing lenses on my lap while swapping over.

http://www.lenspacks.com/ (Although you still need a camera bag to put these in anyway)

There was another one that i saw on facebook that looked pretty clever too but can't find it now.

I saw one that's like a rotating harness which allows you to fit lenses onto it using the same mechanism that the camera body accepts lenses

Both the lens flipper and lenspacks look like good ideas.

I like the lens flipper - video is hilarious

View: https://youtu.be/KgMHEkbb26M

Change your lens as near to the ground as possible. And then over your bag . This will limit the distance can drop

I guess the Lens Flipper and Peak Design Change Clip would not be recommendations of yours given that the change over happens relatively high up. I'm thinking about hanging my 150-600 with us of another peak design strap.

I tend use the top of my bag which is kinda flat, or open the top flap and it on the ground like a sheet.

Good grief!!. I have to say that I have NEVER found this sort of thing much of an issue, juggling lenses for twenty odd years, even when using M42 screw fit primes that beg carrying more than a couple to cover useful focal length range, and aren't exactly the quickest to swap without a quick-release bayonet mount......
COMMON SENSE used to get us an awful long way... you know, putting bag on the floor, swapping lens over bag so lens didn't have so far to fall, being a 'bit' careful, not trying to do gymnastics whilst swapping lenses but taking a second to stop.. stuff like that.....
The very notion that there 'must' be some credit-card solution to a non-problem like this, really does make me want to weep for future generations!
This just IS'T a technology problem... this is an expectation issue.
Sorry.. But I'd suggest you would have far better 'luck' going old school and trying to apply a bit of common cocum... as my old gran was so quick to point out.... you make most of your own luck, and Murphey is on your shoulder to get his cut when you dont!
If you use a bit of care and attentions to not drop lenses, you probably wont drop lenses.... don't pay that care and attention, you are going to drop lenses..... murphey will make sure.... try buying something so you dont need to pay care and attention, murphey will just laugh and find more ingenious way to ensue he gets his cut, and probably a bigger one... common cocum and a bit of care... has got man-kind an AWFUL long way without sch elevated over the counter products!
Its worth a lot of thought before you crack out the credit card!

Doesn't everyone just gaffa tape two lenses together like machine gun magazines for quick changeover?

Doesn't everyone just gaffa tape two lenses together like machine gun magazines for quick changeover?
I think I'd use something more permanent like epoxy resin but I wholly agree with the principle (but not for SMG magazines...).

Last edited:
Lowepro make a lens exchanger bag which opens out to allow you to rest two lenses in it as you change them. I bought one on the classified section on here. It works well as long as the lenses are not too wide - but I think they may come in different sizes. It's really handy if you just want to take your camera plus one lens and no bag, or for event photography where a bag might be a trip hazard and you want to be able to move around quickly.

Questions like this where OP will ask a question that take the average person milliseconds of brain processing time to arrive at a solution are becoming more and more common on this site. Sigh.

Questions like this where OP will ask a question that take the average person milliseconds of brain processing time to arrive at a solution are becoming more and more common on this site. Sigh.
Booo, I'm still here you know.... I've found there are often many different ways to solve what can seem like simple problems and getting people's input can open up ones eyes to possibilities not considered!!

Last edited:
Lowepro make a lens exchanger bag which opens out to allow you to rest two lenses in it as you change them. I bought one on the classified section on here. It works well as long as the lenses are not too wide - but I think they may come in different sizes. It's really handy if you just want to take your camera plus one lens and no bag, or for event photography where a bag might be a trip hazard and you want to be able to move around quickly.

The lowepro option looks like a good option if you have 2 smaller lenses. I wonder if there is a holster or hip bag that would house a 150-600. So I can swap between it and my much smaller Nikon lens.

I have one of these: https://www.filson.com/uk/tin-cloth-collection/24-hour-tin-briefcase.html#137
and one of these: http://www.tenba.com/uk/products/tools-byob-9-camera-insert.aspx

The combo is perfect and has made most of my camera bags obsolete (and I have many), certainly I don't use my Thinktank Retrospectives any more.

For hiking I use a proper rucksack and a variety of inserts.

edit: not saying that you need a stupidly expensive man-bag but I am now of the belief that you may as well just buy a bag you like and then buy the insert that fits your kit. That way when you change your kit you only need to change the insert.

Last edited:
Some times and in some conditions two bodies is the better option.
In my old olympus OM1n kit I still have a double lens cap that I rivited together, so that I could carry two lenses together in a bum bag with out them bashing against each other.
That solved a different problem but did make lens changing easier.

So here's the problem

I put my equipment on my person in the following order - to ensure the most free movement of my camera.

1. I have a backpack with my lunch etc on my back
2. Then a small waist bag which will carrys my nikon lens, spare batteries, lens caps, and lens cloth etc which goes over my right shoulder and hangs down my left side - at waist height.
3. Finally I have my camera with my 150-600 over my left shoulder on a Peak Design strap and hanging down my right side - about hip height -
4. I then attach my monopod to my lens foot.

To access my backpack, I need to take my monopod off - put it down, take my camera off - put it down somewhere, take my waist bag off, put it down, and then finally take my backpack off.
Using a backpack to stow my 150-600 means a full stop - and a good 5 minutes to readjust and put everything on again!! Then take my shot. When walking in a group - at the moment, I pretty much decide on a lens and accept it's too hard to swap - unless we stop for lunch - and even then it's a faff!!

Perhaps I need a pair of combats to comfortably carry my small accessories - do away with my waist bag. Even still I can't see a way of gaining access to backpack when i have my Peak Design over one shoulder with my camera on the opposite hip.

As you can see my dilemma!! Perhaps I just have to accept I need an assistant to hold my 150-600 if i want to swap on the move.

Some times and in some conditions two bodies is the better option.
In my old olympus OM1n kit I still have a double lens cap that I rivited together, so that I could carry two lenses together in a bum bag with out them bashing against each other.
That solved a different problem but did make lens changing easier.

2 cameras - I either side of me may be the best option!! You're right - perhaps with a harness of some sort.

So here's the problem

I put my equipment on my person in the following order - to ensure the most free movement of my camera.

1. I have a backpack with my lunch etc on my back
2. Then a small waist bag which will carrys my nikon lens, spare batteries, lens caps, and lens cloth etc which goes over my right shoulder and hangs down my left side - at waist height.
3. Finally I have my camera with my 150-600 over my left shoulder on a Peak Design strap and hanging down my right side - about hip height -
4. I then attach my monopod to my lens foot.

To access my backpack, I need to take my monopod off - put it down, take my camera off - put it down somewhere, take my waist bag off, put it down, and then finally take my backpack off.
Using a backpack to stow my 150-600 means a full stop - and a good 5 minutes to readjust and put everything on again!! Then take my shot. When walking in a group - at the moment, I pretty much decide on a lens and accept it's too hard to swap - unless we stop for lunch - and even then it's a faff!!

Perhaps I need a pair of combats to comfortably carry my small accessories - do away with my waist bag. Even still I can't see a way of gaining access to backpack when i have my Peak Design over one shoulder with my camera on the opposite hip.

As you can see my dilemma!! Perhaps I just have to accept I need an assistant to hold my 150-600 if i want to swap on the move.

Why not use a sling-type camera bag that you can fit lunch etc in? That way you get rid of both your waist bag and your separate backpack, and, being sling-type, you don't gave to take it off to use it, and it gives you a shelf / container for lens changing.

That`s what I have, two cameras, 18-55mm on the X-T2 and 50-230mm on the X-T20 :D

I do wish I hadn't sold my Sony A6300 now!! I really did like the landscape shots I got with the Sony 16-50 f2.8 lens too - oops.

Why not use a sling-type camera bag that you can fit lunch etc in? That way you get rid of both your waist bag and your separate backpack, and, being sling-type, you don't gave to take it off to use it, and it gives you a shelf / container for lens changing.

What about think tank holster bags with the modular belt system.
Large lens holster bag
Belt

I think both of these are good suggestions. Being able to stow my camera temporarily would be good too should I need both hands for other purposes. So the sling-type camera bag and holster bag both look appealing. Which do you think will afford most freedom of movement. Would carrying a holster bag seem like having a splint making it hard to bend your leg and walk comfortably?

Thanks both!!

I think both of these are good suggestions. Being able to stow my camera temporarily would be good too should I need both hands for other purposes. So the sling-type camera bag and holster bag both look appealing. Which do you think will afford most freedom of movement. Would carrying a holster bag seem like having a splint making it hard to bend your leg and walk comfortably?

Thanks both!!

I use a Lowepro Slingshot, the 200 model, I think, which carries lunch etc plus, if I want, a good selection of lenses. It will take a 100-400 with teleconverter on the camera, but I don't know how that compares with your 150-600; there might be a larger model? It doesn't restrict me at all, and nor is it unbalanced despite being on one shoulder only, but it is essential that the waist belt is used.

I use a Lowepro Slingshot, the 200 model, I think, which carries lunch etc plus, if I want, a good selection of lenses. It will take a 100-400 with teleconverter on the camera, but I don't know how that compares with your 150-600; there might be a larger model? It doesn't restrict me at all, and nor is it unbalanced despite being on one shoulder only, but it is essential that the waist belt is used.

That's good information to share, thanks!! Do you wear the strap over your head - or on the same shoulder that the bag hangs down from?

That's good information to share, thanks!! Do you wear the strap over your head - or on the same shoulder that the bag hangs down from?

You are very welcome [emoji4] The bag goes on my right shoulder, and so does the camera, slung crosswise and sitting on my left hip, the other way round to you. It would work either way, I think. I am on holiday at the moment so doing lots of photography, and this has been my set-up pretty much all day, every day so far, with lots of walking, and it is very easy.

Back