weekly ChrisR's first go at a (digital or film) 52: week 37-42 added (to Reflection)

I just love this tree. Pentax MX with Kodak BW400CN C41 black and white film (Kodak's version of XP2, perhaps):

I haven't attempted this week's Power shot yet. But having got that lot off my chest, I'll try to catch up with some comments. One of the problems of getting far behind, is that I don't want to see other approaches to the shots I've yet to get. And of course it gets more and more daunting as you get further behind!

Hi Chris

The trouble with these maga catch ups is commenting on them all, my two favourite are the drummer, nice B+W good tones in there and the guitarist I like the focus, rules are there to be broken, love the rather bemused look on the faces of the audience

Well done for catching up

Hi chris

what a catch up !

The ones that stand out for me......

Curve....lovely old tree ,just wish it was possible to see a bit more detail in the bark ( I know nothing about film processing so don't know if you can tweak like you can digital ? )

Still....lovely serene feel to this....i'd be tempted to crop so the pipe comes in the bottom rh corner if that's possible ?

Mono chrome....love the mistiness to this , has a slightly aged feel to it , plenty to keep you looking around the shot (y)

Thanks Allan and Lynne. I do like the drummer, more and more actually, but still wanted the misty shot for mono; the whole world was mono in that scene!

The curvy tree really needs a touch of flash I think; I've already brought shadows back as much as I dare in Aperture. Alternatively I could expose it better (the brightness beyond confusing the meter and I'm not compensating!). I've just tried that crop on the Still shot, but you lose the edge of the water, and I don't feel it works quite as well. But thanks again.

Well Chris, I've had a go with film and firmly decided that I will stick with digital for EVER. :D

Lots of respect for you film guys though, Well done for catching up. (y)

Hi Chris :)

SORRY but I'm so far behind it's going to be quick comments

Mono - I like that, I'd prefer to see more or even one person/people in the foreground, but really like the buildings blending into the misty background

Connection - I Like the image but struggle with thew link/theme, great sharp image on the passers by and good DoF use :)

Beginning - Looks oof to me :thinking: but good choice for the theme

Still - Shame there were no clouds, but lovely colours, good level horizon and good leading line to the thingy :)

Whimsical - Hahaaaa well spotted, or well planted !!!

Curve - What an odd tree... looks like somebody bent over, it works well with the bright background

What else can I say... glad your still with us and a Great catch up :clap:

Quick catchup, I'm afraid:

Mono #1 for me, especially the fog. Pity the couple lower left weren't a tad further into the frame.

Connection, really like this one, especially the guy's expression.

Beginning, not as good as the otehrs but on theme and nice colours.

Curve, like this one too. Especially the B&W.

Cheers.

OK I'm so far behind, I'd better get some shots up. Some of the following are not really up to par, but I need to move on. I've not got as far as Melt yet, but I do have candidates for the others. Hmmm, now how do I give a post a title in the new forum? No idea! Oh well...

Week 37: Power (film)

Cockenzie Power Station, shot on Tri-X using a borrowed medium format Mamiya 645.

Week 38: Solitude (film)

Taken on Longniddry Bents, Tri-X using the borrowed Mamiya 645. Lovely day, but the wind was really whistling. I just failed to get on the beach in time to get a lone rider galloping through the surf on her horse!

Week 39: Sweet (film)

On the Royal Mile, the fudge shop well known for its free samples. Cropped from Tri-X on the Mamiya 645.

Week 40: Cut (digital)

This was going to be my idea, but although I shot several candidates on the X10 (of which the above is the best), I wasn't happy about it. Then I visited the Penicuik Secret Garden with a friend, who was lamenting the vandalism there including burning down their toolshed, and I saw this (also X10):

Week 41: Live (film)

I'm really not happy about this, which is a terrible shot as well as being really off theme, but I do need to move on...

Shot on expired FP4 with my Pentax MX; I'm not sure of the lens, possibly the 85mm given the adjacent shots on the roll.

Week 42: Reflection (film)

The Scottish Executive building, shot on expired Reala 100 film with my increasingly dodgy Pentax ME (bought by me new in 1976!).

Hi Chris
Power to much foreground for me it leaves the chimneys a little tight at the top of the frame
Solitude its all a little left sided with the figure and the power station the figure on the right hand side may have balanced it out
Sweet the best one of the bunch
Cut not sure on either of them
Live you have done your own crit
Reflection not the best quality as you say

Apologies, Chris, but I'll pick my favourite and it's Sweet. I'd prefer colour but appreciate film restraints. I do like the guys stance :)

Thanks Allan and Andy... my comment on the camera actually related to its increasing tendency to jam towards the end of the film; I quite like that shot with the cormorant in the reflection!

I was annoyed with myself for leaving so little at the top of the power station chimneys, although I am only just beginning to get used to waist level finders! I wanted the different foreground to show some context.

The bread cut shot... I need to practise more at indoor, staged shots. Definitely not getting things right there, and I was unhappy even though I had put a lot of thought into it.

Andy, you may be right!

Hi Chris

Love the reflection shot , though I could stand to lose the bird ( how do you clone on film ? )

Cut shot has definite goodness in there just waiting to get out....

Cut...like the rusty colors but feel the shears need to be more prominent ?

Hey Chris :)

Power - I know it's tough for film but for me its a bit sort and needs a bit of a crop to loose the lamp post and partial boat

Solitude - Shame you didn't get the loan rider that would have been great !!!!

Sweet - A few too many reflections for me, but a good shot of the couple caught in conversation :)

Cut - For me its the assorted rusty blades Etc... liking the colours

Live - It's a shot, on theme'ish... don't be harsh on yourself, you can always do a re-shoot if it bothers you !!!

Reflection - Now I like that, I like how the reflection is of the whole height of the building, nice colour too

Now the main thing - A nice big catch up there, that will sure take the pressure off :clap:

Thanks for the comments...

Love the reflection shot , though I could stand to lose the bird ( how do you clone on film ? )

Nooooooo..... I wanted that bird, I watched that bird, I stalked that bird!!!!!:runaway:

(You can do fancy cloning things in a darkroom if you use it, but since we scan negatives to digital, we get to do all the fancy digital stuff too... if we want to!:cautious:)

Hey Chris :)

Power - I know it's tough for film but for me its a bit sort and needs a bit of a crop to loose the lamp post and partial boat

Like this?

I think you're right. I reckon I have an issue that goes something like this... I have an idea for a shot, and I'll usually try several frames hoping I've got it. When I get the scans, I still have that idea in my head; usually I'll crop to try to make the idea work. What I've found much harder is to look dispassionately at the frame without preconceptions, and crop for the best photograph, rather than the original idea. The beauty of the 52 is that you lot are dispassionate, and sometimes help kick me into a second or third look.

I should say I'm not always going to give up my original idea so easily. No way am I going to clone that cormorant out of the reflection pic!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your comments.

I think you're right. I reckon I have an issue that goes something like this... I have an idea for a shot, and I'll usually try several frames hoping I've got it. When I get the scans, I still have that idea in my head; usually I'll crop to try to make the idea work. What I've found much harder is to look dispassionately at the frame without preconceptions, and crop for the best photograph, rather than the original idea. The beauty of the 52 is that you lot are dispassionate, and sometimes help kick me into a second or third look.

I should say I'm not always going to give up my original idea so easily. No way am I going to clone that cormorant out of the reflection pic!

Anyway, thanks everyone for your comments.
Hahaaaaaaa I'd leave that bird in too if it was my pic :LOL:

It's great we 'survivors' all take each others comments the way they are meant, some people at the start of the year got quite offended :shrug:

Yes, I have 3 further weeks just waiting to go up, and I have a list of the other themes to tackle. I do intend to finish, and had hoped at least to have the shots done by the end of the year. However, I've only taken a dozen or so shots in all of December, and all those are either still in camera or in an un-processed roll waiting to share some postage! Not expecting much in the way of comments, but that's not the point right now.

Week 43: Melt (Film)

I've got so far behind it's almost pathological; I've had these shots for ages but not felt the confidence to put them up. Anyway, here's the first of the Melt theme, the one I think I'd go with although it's a bit plain:

(It's salt melting the ice on paving stones, if not obvious! I know you can't see any ice...)

The alternative shot, that I had high hopes for originally, didn't work out just quite as well as I wanted:

Frosted leaf on a sunny stone, in the Botanic gardens, Edinburgh. I should have waited another minute or so for the sun to melt a bit more of the frost; it's currently a bit too obvious that the leaf was moved there! However, I was quite worried the sun would go in...

Last edited:
Week 44: Left (Film)

I had tried for a shot of a bright red woolen hat left stuffed into a fence, but when I go the film back, the focus was all wrong. So I was quite pleased to find this boot left on the sea wall!

Last edited:
Week 45: Food (Film)

Just a basic still life, none of your fancy food photos!

Last edited:
Back