Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

On the £275 pledge: change frmo to from :)

On the £350: no apostophe is used with 'its'

Another edit :)

No full stop is required at the end of a bullet point - you have sometimes placed one, sometimes not.

Under 'Camera testing in the real world' you've used its' again, and in the paragraph under the picture of 'closed Chroma'

Last edited:
The page is looking good, Steve.

You forgot to say that the Chroma will make you more attractive to the opposite sex and the envy of all your friends.

If you’d like some further comments on the KS website,

There’s a space before ‘Large’ at the beginning of the second paragraph in “What is a technical field camera”

The bullets under “Technical specifications” have too many line breaks and so are too far apart, and the first one has funny spacing at the end of he line. (It looks like you’ve typed this in Word or similar and copy/pasted.)

And a personal point about the KS offers, only the Earlybird states that you get a ‘Chroma 4x5 technical field camera’ - my feeling is that they all should!

Good luck!

edit - another thought - how about a kaleidoscope or rainbow version as a very special option limited edition?

Last edited:
If you’d like some further comments on the KS website,

There’s a space before ‘Large’ at the beginning of the second paragraph in “What is a technical field camera”

The bullets under “Technical specifications” have too many line breaks and so are too far apart, and the first one has funny spacing at the end of he line. (It looks like you’ve typed this in Word or similar and copy/pasted.)

And a personal point about the KS offers, only the Earlybird states that you get a ‘Chroma 4x5 technical field camera’ - my feeling is that they all should!

Good luck!

edit - another thought - how about a kaleidoscope or rainbow version as a very special option limited edition?

Thanks for taking the time to read through it. The line breaks/spacing are a result of the KS site (although I hate Word too!) so I'll see if I can correct them.

Good point about the rewards not stating you will actually get a camera....you caught me out!

I hasn't considered a kaleidoscope version before, maybe I'll take a look :0)

Hey there's a link to me! :D One question - what kind of pink is the pink option? A Barbie-kind-of pink, or more a hot pink?

Looks like I'll be opting for the regular £250 version too - although I'd love the engraved version, I think the girlfriend would actually kill me. Stone dead.

Last edited:
Hey there's a link to me! :D One question - what kind of pink is the pink option? A Barbie-kind-of pink, or more a hot pink?

Looks like I'll be opting for the regular £250 version too - although I'd love the engraved version, I think the girlfriend would actually kill me. Stone dead.

This is the pink;

43267_large_pink_perspex_acrylic_sheet_opaque.jpg

Obviously it's hard to know exactly on screen and I haven't bought any pink sheets before to know in real life!

As for the reward, I'm happy to engrave your camera with whatever text you want on it. It's the least I can do in return for the support you've given me :0)

@stevelmx5 Aw Steve, that's so nice of you :) I'll definitely take you up on that! Also, that pink is great - I'd rather a more magenta-pink than a flamingo-pink!

Hi Steve,

I'm a regular listener to The Film Photography Project Podcast and they regularly mention Kickstarter Projects and Large Format, it might be worthwhile posting on their page for some extra exposure for your project to try to get a mention;
https://www.facebook.com/FilmPhotographyPodcast

Good luck, it looks like an interesting project.

Cheers,

Jason

Hi Steve,

I'm a regular listener to The Film Photography Project Podcast and they regularly mention Kickstarter Projects and Large Format, it might be worthwhile posting on their page for some extra exposure for your project to try to get a mention;
https://www.facebook.com/FilmPhotographyPodcast

Good luck, it looks like an interesting project.

Cheers,

Jason

Thanks for the tip Jason. I'll drop them an email today :plus1:

;) It hasn't yet no. I did an interview with EM who runs Emulsive.org just before Christmas for an article he's going to publish this month and am also building a matt black Chroma for Hamish Gill (35mmc.com) to use/review. The company that I use to cut the acrylic moved premises over Christmas which has meant I couldn't cut my updated design. Whilst I could launch without the final design physically built, I'd rather have everything in place so it's a ready to use camera that people can back.

It will be launching this month though :) Cheers

I've just sent out this weeks' Chroma mailing list update and it's a big one ;0)

After speaking to a few people and looking at the alternatives available, I've made an update to the rear standard to now give optional tilt control. ;) It's not a huge design change and won't make a difference to the cost or assembly time but it adds some more flexibility to the camera so I'm happy with it.

Optional Rear Tilt3.jpg

The rear tilt control is locked using a pair of thumbscrews. Once removed, they can be secured to the rear standard uprights using embedded nuts so that they don't get put down and lost (it can't only be me that leaves half of my kit where I stand if it's not locked to something!)

The workshop I use should be up and running this weekend after moving premises and buying a new larger laser so I'm planning on getting my finalised Chroma cut and assembled by early next week so I can photograph it for the campaign then get out and shoot with it.

I've just sent out this weeks' Chroma mailing list update and it's a big one ;0)

After speaking to a few people and looking at the alternatives available, I've made an update to the rear standard to now give optional tilt control. ;) It's not a huge design change and won't make a difference to the cost or assembly time but it adds some more flexibility to the camera so I'm happy with it.

View attachment 118134

The rear tilt control is locked using a pair of thumbscrews. Once removed, they can be secured to the rear standard uprights using embedded nuts so that they don't get put down and lost (it can't only be me that leaves half of my kit where I stand if it's not locked to something!)

The workshop I use should be up and running this weekend after moving premises and buying a new larger laser so I'm planning on getting my finalised Chroma cut and assembled by early next week so I can photograph it for the campaign then get out and shoot with it.
you so deserve to do well and get rich off this, the way your still upgrading and refining is fantastic.

you so deserve to do well and get rich off this, the way your still upgrading and refining is fantastic.

Thanks a lot Nico, I really appreciate that. I’m not even trying to build a future career with Chroma really, more interested in seeing if I can actually design/build a camera from scratch that delivers something different.

I’m constantly tweaking it because I’m a fiddler and just need to get it cut and launched ;0)

There is a slight hitch with my rear tilt that I hadn’t foreseen....because I’ve made the rear standard as compact as possible, when shooting in landscape orientation, the film holder plate overhangs the back on each side. In itself that’s fine and it’s secure but it does mean that the uprights get in the way when adding tilt...Never one to let a design issue bother me, I’ve come up with new shape uprights which mean I can retain landscape orientation tilt and, as a useful side effect, I separate rise/fall and tilt movements without making the rear standard wider so it’s a win win ;0) I’ll add an updated image later on with the new uprights.

Thanks a lot Nico, I really appreciate that. I’m not even trying to build a future career with Chroma really, more interested in seeing if I can actually design/build a camera from scratch that delivers something different.

I’m constantly tweaking it because I’m a fiddler and just need to get it cut and launched ;0)
thats one of the reasons why you deserve to do well:D-your not a "that will do" guy after a fast buck

Though at some point "that will have to do" has to win over the next tweak... ;);):)

Though at some point "that will have to do" has to win over the next tweak... ;);):)

There you go Chris, that will do ;0)

This is the zeroed position. There are a pair of embedded magnets inside the rear standard uprights to give tactile feedback at zero. There are two locking thumb screws to secure tilt and one for rise/fall. There are two for rear tilt due to the extra weight and top-heavy nature of the back so I think having the second securing screw will add some extra stability. I'll know for definite once I build it though.

0 Degree Rear Tilt.jpg

This is the most restrictive rear tilt possible. When shooting in landscape format, with 25mm of rear fall, the rear tilt is limited to 16 degrees;

16 Degree Rear Tilt.jpg

Last edited:
I have to say, it looks bloomin' marvellous!

Shhhhh, sneak preview for the F&C massive....

I haven't drawn in the fixings/rollers/frame counter window cover yet but I've just finished drawing up the main Chroma 6x12 back. It's something I'm considering for a KS stretch goal but need to build one first to test out its usability.

Chroma-6x12.jpg

Chroma-6x12 Front.jpg

This is how the film is loaded. The holder separates into two parts and two film roll covers can be removed from the back. Then, the 120 roll can be dropped into the top (or bottom) and the backing paper pulled through the top slot and fed down then back through the bottom slot. Once through, it's fixed to the take up spool and wound on to secure. The two halves are then joined back together (embedded magnets) and the film wound on to image 1 (using the counter window on the back).

6x12 Back-Loading.jpg

After each image is exposed, the film is wound on to alternating numbers (1,3,5,7,9,11).

Last edited:
Woohoo, ever more interesting!

I was wondering what the weight of the finished (basic) camera is, compared with, say (cough) Intrepid? A lot of folk will make that comparison, so if it is a lot heavier you'll have to have good reasons in the blurb why it's worth it...

Woohoo, ever more interesting!

I was wondering what the weight of the finished (basic) camera is, compared with, say (cough) Intrepid? A lot of folk will make that comparison, so if it is a lot heavier you'll have to have good reasons in the blurb why it's worth it...

The previous versions I’ve built have been around 1400g with the ground glass. My new version has cut quite a bit or acrylic out from the back but the base is strengthened so I reckon it will somewhere similar. Intrepid camera’s are just under 1000g I believe but the Chroma has full independent movements on the front standard and rise/fall and tilt on the rear so it delivers much more control. It’s also purple, or red, or orange, or black, or white, or green, or blue [emoji6]

Have you got it in a nice burnt mahogany or perhaps ebony?

I can skin it in an ebony vinyl if you like ;0). In fact, joking aside, I’m working with Mike Padua from ShootFilmCo at the moment on vinyl skins/decals for added customisation [emoji6]

What lens comes with it? :banana:

A 0.4mm pinhole and pristine lens board, just waiting for you to mount your favourite lens [emoji6]

Yeh, but, which color is the heaviest?

I’ll get back to you on that one Baz...maybe transparent would be the lightest because there’s no colour pigment in it [emoji23]

Back