Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

Where's mine, where's mine, wheres mine..... :banana::D:wave::woot:

I think most of us (following this epic thread) think you are pretty amazing Steve and wish you the very best in your endeavour!
What he said.

Steve, that looks awesome. I don’t have any of the necessary resource to make use of one, but it doesn’t stop me lusting after one.

:plus1: :agree:

What he said.

Steve, that looks awesome. I don’t have any of the necessary resource to make use of one, but it doesn’t stop me lusting after one.

Thanks Phil. It means a lot that someone who isn't going to shoot Large Format is still tempted :)

I'm currently working with an Editor to put together the press release for the campaign and will be launching at the end of this week (exact time/date will be shared!)

Although I am not tempted by the large format, I have been following the thread and am tempted(I am partial to a deep purple :LOL:).
They sure do look cool Steve so well done with it.

Wow. Just wow!

Well done for getting this done. I can't see me getting into LF but if I ever do ....

Presumably all the cuts are done by a computer controlled machine so it should be a fairly easy tweak to a few parameters to make a 10x8 version...

:coat:

Wow. Just wow!

Well done for getting this done. I can't see me getting into LF but if I ever do ....

Thanks ;)

Presumably all the cuts are done by a computer controlled machine so it should be a fairly easy tweak to a few parameters to make a 10x8 version...

The acrylic is all laser cut from a fixed set of models so it's repeatable but moving up to 10x8 would mean quite a bit of re-design to increase strength etc for increased weight of lenses/holders. For the time being I'll stick with the development of the 4x5 format :)

If you read the explanation on the Intrepid site as to why making a 10x8 wasn't just making a 5x4 but a bit bigger, you'll see that scaling up involves a lot of not so obvious pitfalls.

I've got the 612 ready to build so will work up to 617 ;)

761.gif

[emoji6] Sorry Baz.

I meant that I’ve already designed a 6x12 roll film back that takes 120 film spools to shoot panoramas. Some manufacturers make 6x17 rollfilm backs that need to be set back from the standard film plane (around 70mm on the Chroma) for the lens to project a large enough image (170mm wide). I might make one of those in the future but not at the moment (I’ve got enough on!)

Surely if you can fit a 6x17 holder, you can fit a 5x7 back?

[emoji6] Sorry Baz.

I meant that I’ve already designed a 6x12 roll film back that takes 120 film spools to shoot panoramas. Some manufacturers make 6x17 rollfilm backs that need to be set back from the standard film plane (around 70mm on the Chroma) for the lens to project a large enough image (170mm wide). I might make one of those in the future but not at the moment (I’ve got enough on!)

Got it Steve, Ta!

Surely if you can fit a 6x17 holder, you can fit a 5x7 back?

It would have to be spaced back by the same 70mm and I'd then have less options for wide angle lenses as the lens would need to be set 70mm closer to the original film plane too. If I build an updated version of the Chroma down the line, it may be better building it as 5x7 then have reducing backs for 4x5/612/617 etc.

:banana::beer::woot:

a mini version would make an amazing desk toy/ fiddle gadget:D
Great idea, maybe it could be some sort of lightbox to show off your favourite transparencies :thinking:

a mini version would make an amazing desk toy/ fiddle gadget:D

Great idea, maybe it could be some sort of lightbox to show off your favourite transparencies :thinking:

You know I can’t help but act on suggestions! I’ve already started drawing up the model for a half-size 3D printed version. Maybe that could be the base..

You know I can’t help but act on suggestions! I’ve already started drawing up the model for a half-size 3D printed version. Maybe that could be the base..
I would love a mini version to play with as it would be great to support your work but I really don't want to go down the using large format cameras at this stage. how about a 35mm version:exit::p.
a desk toy version just to fiddle with would be ace

Hmmmm, a coffee machine that looks like a..........................! Maybe not. Would be cool tho!

I would love a mini version to play with as it would be great to support your work but I really don't want to go down the using large format cameras at this stage. how about a 35mm version:exit::p.
a desk toy version just to fiddle with would be ace

I've already 3D printed a 6x9 field camera, is that close enough? ;)

I'll see what I can do about the small scale desk toy too :banana:

Good luck Steve, I'm sure you'll smash your target, but I want to wish you luck anyway (y)

Seems like so long ago since we were in the pub in the Peak District talking about how cool an acrylic camera would be :D

Cheers bud and yes, this is entirely your fault, so when my wife divorces me because the house is overrun with acrylic...I'm blaming you!

There are articles going out from 35mmc.com, Emulsive.org and KosmoFoto to coincide with the launch and I'm also blaming that chat in the pub in those too, so I've got the proof for the divorce settlement ;)

Last edited:
Back