Chroma - Lasercut Acrylic 4x5 Field Camera

...although I also like the Combo style rollfilm backs that mount the film/takeup spool outside of the main body, which means that they can be fitted underneath a spring back;

That would be fantastic.

... I did rather expect the red window

I'm sure I've mentioned these before but for everyone that struggles with the red window on cameras I've always used THESE Some films are easier to see than others but using these little red LED keying torches make all films a whole lot easier to see.

Last edited:
Being able to tension the film would be a biggy, I had a 6x12 pinhole and missing the number was entirely common but so was the film going slack after a while too.

I'd be okay with either the cambo back or using the magnets to remove the whole thing.

Last edited:
Your obviously not red/green colour blind.....

I really struggle with my Ross Ensigns, especially in poor or cloudy light. However I've just shot a roll on my new Voigtlander Bessa 1 and had no problems with it.

I'm sure I've mentioned these before but for everyone that struggles with the red window on cameras I've always used THESE Some films are easier to see than others but using these little red LED keying torches make all films a whole lot easier to see.
I agree on that, but the dysfunction goes beyond seeing the numbers. Often the knobs are stiff and awkward to turn while holding the camera AND a torch to watch little numbers that, if you miss, mean you might have to waste a frame (or risk overlap). Being able to jig back a little would really help.

It’s been a while since I’ve posted in this thread, so I thought it was a good time for a sneak preview of the new back on the Carbon Adventurer ;0)

IMG_2832.JPG

There are 1mm carbon leaf springs and rotating Graflok cams. The cams can either rotate over the top of backs shallower than 5mm, or press against those thicker (yes, the Graflok ‘standard’ is anything but..).

I’m now sorting out the bellows and bag bellows but am trying decide if I should print them (pretty much any design/colour/pattern, copyright permitting), or go for standard black? Any ideas?

How about a nice grey, should set off the black but still keep it's cool look. Grey is apparently the new black.:D

This isn’t my bellows, it’s a set for a camera heading to Bogotá tomorrow (randomly!), but I thought I’d see what plain black bellows look like. It’s also not my lens, hence it’s on a sand coloured lens board [emoji23]

View attachment 269732

View attachment 269733

Yeah black bellows it has to be imo, not least of all as black goes with anything and I'd need the camera to match whatever dress code I chose on any given day! :rolleyes::exit::LOL::LOL::LOL:

What's the bellows extention btw ...similar to the original Chroma or longer?

Yeah black bellows it has to be imo, not least of all as black goes with anything and I'd need the camera to match whatever dress code I chose on any given day! :rolleyes::exit::LOL::LOL::LOL:

What's the bellows extention btw ...similar to the original Chroma or longer?

Cheers mate. I’m kind of swaying towards standard black, but then the devil on my other shoulder tells me to make it stand out at TPS ;0) After all, the bag bellows will be plain black so maybe the standard bellows should be different.

The bellows draw on the Adventurer is pretty much the same as the Advanced, at just under 300mm [emoji1303]

It would be black for me... (very ageing goth) All I'd need to do then would be to find a "Sky's Gone Out" sticker.

Edit to add: Then go visit @Asha and hop over to Il Staglieno...

Last edited:
It would be black for me... (very ageing goth) All I'd need to do then would be to find a "Sky's Gone Out" sticker.

Edit to add: Then go visit @Asha and hop over to Il Staglieno...

“Very aging goth” ??
I’m simply "Very aging " [emoji23]

Cheers mate. I’m kind of swaying towards standard black, but then the devil on my other shoulder tells me to make it stand out at TPS ;0) After all, the bag bellows will be plain black so maybe the standard bellows should be different.

The bellows draw on the Adventurer is pretty much the same as the Advanced, at just under 300mm [emoji1303]

I'm tellin' ya, grey is the way. A nice darkish grey will set off the black perfectly. (y)

[emoji23] [emoji23]

:shifty::bat:I'll have you know that I do have a single grey hair, just the one mind. Admittedly it's one amongst very few.:ROFLMAO:

:shifty::bat:I'll have you know that I do have a single grey hair, just the one mind. Admittedly it's one amongst very few.:ROFLMAO:

Coming from someone who has no hair on their head, this is way too much information. This thread now needs a NSFW tag.

So back on track, to please most folk or at least those of us who have made suggestions/ preferences, hows about a compromise :

Black and Grey Tartan

I’m almost ready for The Photography Show now;

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

Adjustments.JPG

These are some more standard black bellows on the Carbon Adventurer, as a friend of mine is using it on a shoot tomorrow, and taking some product shots for me at the same time. I’ve also ordered some more printable material so I can make the custom bellows early next week.

The Snapshot is my new handheld Chroma, which uses the same leaf spring back and new printed ground glass frame. The grip can be fitted on either side of the body (for left or right handed use) and the lens is mounted to a metal helicoid and steel spacer bars which can can swapped out to use different focal length lenses without needing to have multiple lens cones. It also uses custom machined circular lens boards, which screw into the helicoid, to allow for lens swapping in the field.

Snapshot can also mount any 4x5 compatible film back/holder, either beneath the ground glass (I can fit deep holders, like Grafmatic and my new double dry plate holder), or by removing it entirely and securing the back with rotating Graflok cams [emoji1303]

So the snapshot, whats the "standard" focal length lens for it? 150mm? or are the bellows too short to focus that length at infinity?

Link me to some specs if you have any to hand;)

EDIT: Looking at the photo, it seems that it comes "complete" with a lens….Does it?

So the snapshot, whats the "standard" focal length lens for it? 150mm? or are the bellows too short to focus that length at infinity?

Link me to some specs if you have any to hand[emoji6]

EDIT: Looking at the photo, it seems that it comes "complete" with a lens….Does it?

There isn’t really a standard lens for it, it’s whatever you want to shoot (mainly handheld, although there is a tripod thread in the bottom). The bellows will focus a 150mm to infinity, and it can go down to a 47mm with a flat plate mount, without bellows. The whole front plate is secured with a clip at one edge and magnets at the other so can switched easily.

For most lenses you would just unscrew the four thumbscrews on the front, then unscrew the 4 steel spacer bars beneath them and swap them for longer/shorter ones depending on your lens.

The lens on the camera is mine, it won’t come with one as standard but uses any large format lens/shutter with a rear element smaller than 65mm diameter (to fit through the helicoid)

Last edited:
There isn’t really a standard lens for it, it’s whatever you want to shoot (mainly handheld). The bellows will focus a 150mm to infinity, and it can go down to a 47mm with a flat plate mount, without bellows. The whole front plate is secured with a clip at one edge and magnets at the other so can switched easily.

For most lenses you would just unscrew the four thumbscrews on the front, then unscrew the 4 steel spacer bars beneath them and swap them for longer/shorter ones depending on your lens.

The lens on the camera is mine, it won’t come with one as standard but uses any large format lens/shutter with a rear element smaller than 65mm diameter (to fit through the helicoid)

If it's as small and as light as it looks then I'll be very interested to have one as an " everyday pocket LF camera" to have with me at times when I'm just out and about doing chores and not a specific photography outing

If it's as small and as light as it looks then I'll be very interested to have one as an " everyday pocket LF camera" to have with me at times when I'm just out and about doing chores and not a specific photography outing

Great, that was my exact thinking behind the design. There are also 3 coldshoes around the edge of the body for viewfinders/rangefinders/flash etc

Great, that was my exact thinking behind the design. The grip can also be mounted on either side for left/ right hand use and there are 3 coldshoes around the edge of the body for viewfinders/rangefinders/flash etc

so what's its dimensions and weight?

so what's its dimensions and weight?

Ok, without a film holder/lens, the camera weighs 722g.

The dimensions are;

22cm wide, including grip
15cm high
9cm deep, including helicoid and 35mm spacers which allow me to use the 90mm lens. Depending on the focal length on the lens, the total depth with vary.

Without the removable bellows plate/helicoid, the main camera body is 2cm deep and weighs 366g.

Last edited:
Thanks for the info Steve
Shame I can’t get to the NEC to physically hold and try the snapshot.
It’s already on my wish/want list :)

Back