CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Takes me back to before Dad and I rebuilt my old S 2a on a new galvanised SWB chassis. It was originally a long wheelbase (109") but we wanted a short wheelbase (88"); we knew the old chassis was very rusty and needed a body off welding job (at least) so we bought the LWB with the chassis swap in mind. Other than the rear tub and roof, all the body panels were reused and the roof and tub were sold for very close to what we paid for the fresh ones. Huge Meccano set! Dog slow when finished but faster than the heavier LWB - a 2 1/4 litre N/A Diesel has torque aplenty but power is a little lacking!

Hi, everyday cars like this OPEL are rare at vintage car events:

D80_5513-n70c-tp.jpg

Seen in a national trust car park

HEmn0TA.jpg

Triumph TR4...

Panasonic GX7 8GB 09 P1130706.JPG

1948 Riley RM...

Panasonic GH2 8GB 10 P1310879.jpg

Better not let Mrs Nod see that - she still misses hers! (But NOT the bills for fuel, servicing, fuel, maintenance and fuel...)

Expedition roofrack? Check!
Chunky tyres? Check!
As much checker-plate as possible? Check!
Bash plate? Check!
Take it off road? NOOOooooooo! I might get it dirty!!!

(To be fair, it looks pretty much brand new so might well be destined for dirtier times ahead - but it'll need a roll bar and a snorkel to finish the look [and inhale less dust].)

Expedition roofrack? Check!
Chunky tyres? Check!
As much checker-plate as possible? Check!
Bash plate? Check!
Take it off road? NOOOooooooo! I might get it dirty!!!

(To be fair, it looks pretty much brand new so might well be destined for dirtier times ahead - but it'll need a roll bar and a snorkel to finish the look [and inhale less dust].)

Hi, this one has been bought as a kind of rough SUV, and has, and never will be used off-road, I suppose.

Many DEFENDERs have been bought as an investment in Germany, when production stopped, because they hold their value well ... ---

And an image almost like the G-Klasse!

Officially a classic now but what is it?

fullsizeoutput-1c6f.jpg

Pic shows uploaded just not when you post?????

Last edited:
Hi, take your time ... Longest side < 1024, max size 500 K.

The steps

-I use the attach files below (appears when you post).

-Selecting and opening the file.

-After this, a small picture of the one you want to show appears.

-Insert: Thumbnail - Full Image

Last edited:
Hi, this one has been bought as a kind of rough SUV, and has, and never will be used off-road, I suppose.

Many DEFENDERs have been bought as an investment in Germany, when production stopped, because they hold their value well ... ---

And an image almost like the G-Klasse!

People are asking silly money for them here too. I saw an old Series 3 a year ago with a for sale sign in the window and asked how much it was - the owner said fifteen. My reply was that it was good value for fifteen hundred quid. He said "No, fifteen grand!". Good luck with that!!!

People are asking silly money for them here too. I saw an old Series 3 a year ago with a for sale sign in the window and asked how much it was - the owner said fifteen. My reply was that it was good value for fifteen hundred quid. He said "No, fifteen grand!". Good luck with that!!!

Well, DEFENDER owners are special. A former colleague used it off-road, and his KTM, too. ---

But not every diver's watch owner is a diver. The same goes for owners of pilot chronometers ... ---

I had a 90 Defender until I wrote it off in late 2006 (rolled it after a blowout sent me up a bank at 30MPH.) Had an old Diesel S2a before that - rebuilt it as a short wheelbase from a long wheelbase donor (galvanised chassis, upgraded brakes; a big, motorised Meccano kit!) Both used offroad and as tow vehicles, although the 2a was pretty crap for towing at anything over 30MPH!

Hi, another DEFENDER from the Rallye Trifels (very clean) :

D80_6675-n70c-tp.jpg

Back