CLASSIC and important CARS - open thread:

Speaking of Austin Healeys: this one was in Innsbruck...

Austin Healy Sports car Innsbruck D5100 B0413.jpg

I'm glad you showed the bonnet badge as I would never have guessed keep them coming , thanks.

A friend had a Contraceptor (it's just about possible but bloody uncomfortable!!!) which broke in half (pretty much just the roof holding it together) after an overenthusiastic humpbacked bridge. Turned out to have had a dodgy MoT shortly before he bought it and went over the bridge. He got his money back.

Hateful things! The only good thing about the Dyane version was the ability to take the back seats out and use them as a sofa on the beach.

Much beloved by the greenies but was eventually dropped by Citroen because it was impossible to get them clean enough to pass emissions regulations.

Hateful things! The only good thing about the Dyane version was the ability to take the back seats out and use them as a sofa on the beach.

Much beloved by the greenies but was eventually dropped by Citroen because it was impossible to get them clean enough to pass emissions regulations.

Well, this was my first car, and at that time, I lived with my parents, so this car allowed me personal freedom, and steamy window tenderness with my then girlfriend.

It brings back fond memories ... ---

(As a car, it was horrible. I sold it at a small profit, and bought a VW convertible (used) then. I never had another French car after the 2CV ...)

I can't help wondering if one would go well with a 1250 BMW bike engine grafted in. Plenty of space for the water cooling system. 134 hp (100kW) should be enough!

I can't help wondering if one would go well with a 1250 BMW bike engine grafted in. Plenty of space for the water cooling system. 134 hp (100kW) should be enough!

Hi, the front axle would not last long. And the driver might be in danger with the poor drum brakes ... ---

Hi, the front axle would not last long. And the driver might be in danger with the poor drum brakes ... ---
Mind you, they did last; if only because anyone really could fix anything on them in the middle of a field! We knew someone who drove hers around for more than 30 years. :)

...and she didn't need to carry "lifeboats" like this so-called "mini"... :naughty:

BMW Mini with 3 bicycles on rear carrier P1230914.JPG

Last edited:
Yes, but only with the original engines, not with the 134hp Nod suggested ...
Quite right. If you transgress the mechanic's golden rule and fix what ain't broke, don't be surprised when things go "boing"

My Dyane had discs. They and the drive shafts would be easy to upgrade. Likewise the gearbox.

Quite right. If you transgress the mechanic's golden rule and fix what ain't broke, don't be surprised when things go "boing"

Not sure I've EVER waited for something on a car or bike to break before dealing with it.

Here's another of mine a 1954/1955 MG TF 1500 - I'm in the drivers seat - RHS - I'm 75 years old now so I guess it must have been taken 30 or 40 years ago

The 2nd image was probably taken 20 years ago and I sold the car about 15 years ago to an old friend

TP_TF.jpg

TP_ES_2_MG_2.jpg

Racing Snail!

Many years ago, I saw a VW Beetle with velocity stacks poking up through the front bonnet. Saw it later with the one piece flip body raised and it was indeed a front (V8) engined custom with a GRP body.

Hi, the NSU WANKEL Spider, innovative but not successful in the marketplace, due to sealing problems, among other things. - MAZDA did better - later .. :

D80_7608-n70c.jpg

Well, it was always going to be the poor relation! Rushed out to capitalise on the 300's racing successes with the top chopped off to please the Americans.

Probably a much nicer car to drive though!

Well, it was always going to be the poor relation! Rushed out to capitalise on the 300's racing successes with the top chopped off to please the Americans.

Probably a much nicer car to drive though!

Hi, at the time, it was very exclusive. But it had the image of being a lady's car (in Germany) ...

All convertibles were more fun then, before A/C, and poor ventilation.

On really hot days, it's nice to have cold air round our ankles - used to gently roast my left one in the Mk 2.5 MX-5!

Austin A40 Farina. Last made in 1967 but this one, rough looking but apparently fully functional, still in use 50 years later...

Austin A40 Farina Exeter Road Exmouth SL300 DSCF3829.jpg

Bring back the MOT for classics!

Back